AAWireless - General discussion and support

Search This thread

zengshengliu

Aug 28, 2012
Can someone assist me with the client mode setup?
I have firmware 2.0.2, phone is Samsung Galaxy S10+, and Mercedes MBUX system. The regular wifi mode works for wireless AA, but when I try to setup the client mode by entering the in car hotspot information, the device is just stuck with white light. I entered and double check to make sure that the SSID and password is correct, and also has the car headunit bluetooth selected. The AAWireless notification said it is connected to the unit itself. I also see Android Auto notification (on phone) show up saying something like searching (or connecting) to Android auto, but after a few seconds, it just disappear (normally it will have a "Connected" persistence notification when connected)

ForeverYoung7

Oct 18, 2021
Reactions: DroidShift79

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
Great work ! :(

When I fired up the AAW app, it said an update to 2.0.2 was available. When I tapped that, it asked if I wanted to download on a metered connection, & I said yes. It then started to display progress info at the top of the screen, & then almost immediately quit. Repeatable.

Why do I believe that this is a software error? Because the progress info was " % %d %", which means that someone screwed up an 'sprintf' function call.

This used to work correctly.

EDIT:

The above info was from attempting the update while AA was running on the car/AAW/phone.

When I tried again a few hours later, I did not give AA a chance to start, & the update to 2.0.2 worked perfectly, & I did not see the 'sprintf' error.

Last edited:
Reactions: osm0sis

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Great work! :(

When I fired up the AAW app, it said an update to 2.0.2 was available. When I tapped that, it asked if I wanted to download on a metered connection, & I said yes. It then started to display progress info at the top of the screen, & then almost immediately quit. Repeatable.

Why do I believe that this is a software error? Because the progress info was " % %d %", which means that someone screwed up an 'sprintf' function call.

This used to work correctly.

EDIT:

The above info was from attempting the update while AA was running on the car/AAW/phone.

When I tried again a few hours later, I did not give AA a chance to start, & the update to 2.0.2 worked perfectly, & I did not see the 'sprintf' error.
I'll check. We've been having some backend issues lately, so that's probably the cause. The sprintf thingy is probably a side effect of that.

Reactions: ForeverYoung7

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
I'll check. We've been having some backend issues lately, so that's probably the cause. The sprintf thingy is probably a side effect of that.
I've noticed that " % %d %" flashes briefly at the beginning of every update actually, so unless fixed with the last app updates is likely still an issue somewhere. 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanGibson

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's in the spot where the percentage is calculated/displayed. My guess is there's an initial value of nul/100 or something that %d can't display.
"%d" will take the first 32 or 64 bits (depending upon the CPU architecture) of the parameter (fixed point, floating point, graphic data, music data, whatever), interpret it as a fixed point integer, & display it. The only reason that the "%d" is displayed, is if the parameter wasn't even provided in the call to sprintf().

That's a coding error. Perhaps a variable name for the parameter was originally provided, but when the progress bar was implemented, the variable definition was removed. This would then fail compilation, so the sprintf() call was modified to remove the variable name, with the idea that the sprintf() call would be fixed later.

This is all pure speculation, & assumes a C/C++/C#/Java source code base.

Reactions: osm0sis

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
"%d" will take the first 32 or 64 bits (depending upon the CPU architecture) of the parameter (fixed point, floating point, graphic data, music data, whatever), interpret it as a fixed point integer, & display it. The only reason that the "%d" is displayed, is if the parameter wasn't even provided in the call to sprintf().

That's a coding error. Perhaps a variable name for the parameter was originally provided, but when the progress bar was implemented, the variable definition was removed. This would then fail compilation, so the sprintf() call was modified to remove the variable name, with the idea that the sprintf() call would be fixed later.

This is all pure speculation, & assumes a C/C++/C#/Java source code base.
It's exactly that, param was missing. Has nothing to do with progress indicator though, progress indicator has been in there since the beginning :) Param missing has also been in there since the beginning, no body noticed apparently.

Spoonoid

Oct 13, 2014
Can you possibly download the Alpha app from: https://appdistribution.firebase.dev/i/5196d378c8e122d7 . This version has debug logs enabled you I can see what's happening (or not happening in this case :) ).
I'm on 2.0.0 firmware.
I was unable to capture debug logs.
The device was connected to a charging USB, outside the car. After booting, the led was blinking green, and after some time it turns yellow (not white).
On the AAW app, when pressing on the bug report, an error message said that it was unable to communicate with the device. After like 3 or 4 attempts, it started to capture logs, the led began blinking green really fast. I tried updating, but the led turn yellow after a few seconds and when returning to the bug report, it was inactive...
I tried resetting multiple times, clearing cache left and right... Something that I can try ? It was working reaaaaally great for more than a year now, I don't know if the 2.0.0 update broke something or if I'm unlucky now.

Marsou77

Feb 2, 2011
Earth
Hello @Snirpo

Usually I don't use AAWireless for short distances so I let my phone connected to it without using AA (blue blinking led) but when i enable Passthrough mode, the dongle reboot itself after a few seconds if I do not use AA (red led - green blinking led - blue blinking led cycle). Is this the expected behaviour in Passthrough mode ?

Thank you :)

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
I'm on 2.0.0 firmware.
I was unable to capture debug logs.
The device was connected to a charging USB, outside the car. After booting, the led was blinking green, and after some time it turns yellow (not white).
On the AAW app, when pressing on the bug report, an error message said that it was unable to communicate with the device. After like 3 or 4 attempts, it started to capture logs, the led began blinking green really fast. I tried updating, but the led turn yellow after a few seconds and when returning to the bug report, it was inactive...
I tried resetting multiple times, clearing cache left and right... Something that I can try ? It was working reaaaaally great for more than a year now, I don't know if the 2.0.0 update broke something or if I'm unlucky now.
Really confusing. Not sure what's happening. Are you trying to update and in the meantime creating a bug report?

Snirpo

Jan 23, 2007
Hello @Snirpo

Usually I don't use AAWireless for short distances so I let my phone connected to it without using AA (blue blinking led) but when i enable Passthrough mode, the dongle reboot itself after a few seconds if I do not use AA (red led - green blinking led - blue blinking led cycle). Is this the expected behaviour in Passthrough mode ?

Thank you :)
Yup, that's because in non-passthrough mode we keep the wireless connection alive by pinging to the phone, even when the HU side is not connected.
In passthrough we cannot do this, so the phone side will disconnect after a 10 second timeout, this will restart the whole process.

Reactions: Marsou77

ilbarba77

Oct 10, 2011
Hi, every time I use the AAW, it automatically restarts after a few minutes, then reboots and goes back to work.
How can I solve this ?
Attached are my settings

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 45

DroidShift79

Sep 11, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
OnePlus 9 Pro
OnePlus 12
Hi, every time I use the AAW, it automatically restarts after a few minutes, then reboots and goes back to work.
How can I solve this ?
Attached are my settings
Try to use the USB MTP Mode. Or MTP + Retry Mode.

Maybe firmware 2.10 rolls out for all, soon. Since at least a week I have no issues anymore with the latest 2.10 version. No more fiddling with USB Modes.
I'm running dongle Mode + Start/Stop + DPI Settings ( For my Swing Infotainment system with 6,5" Display, setting DPI to 103 is brillant)

Last edited:

rayboehm

Sep 19, 2015
Hmmm... I didn't know that, but when I not enable Start/Stop, while in dongle mode, i have connection issues when I come back to the ca

Hmmm... I didn't know that, but when I not enable Start/Stop, while in dongle mode, i have connection issues when I come back to the car
Probably depends on the vehicle or headunit. For what it's worth, I set mine to default USB, passthrough and dongle mode enabled, and start/stop disabled. On the 2.10 firmware it has been working flawlessly for days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I should have come to this thread to begin with, but I, too, am having this issue as well. Also in a Polestar 2.

I submitted a support ticket on January 17 this year, and after providing plenty of information and submitting bug reports, it seems I have been forgotten about. I was even told that "no other Polestar owners have reported this" - rubbish, it seems!

I recently got the 4.0 Beta notification and today updated that in the hope that something had been done, but nada!
    I note there are several compatibility options for other manufacturers that exist, including a new one in 4.0 that I haven't noticed before that addresses a Mercedes Benz issue, so surely two people with the exact some car is enough to acknowledge there is an issue for Volvo/Polestar AAOS compatibility?

I'm grateful I didn't buy my AAWireless to use in my Polestar, because I'd be bloody annoyed at having paid the money I did for it and having a shiny, new paperweight as a result.
    AA over CP is NOT a core feature. In fact even CarPlay is NOT a core feature (yet). Its beta... We dont advertise it anywhere. Its a nice extra, but that's it. Sorry but these "paperweight" comments annoy the heck out of me. Some people expect their issues to be fixed right away. That's just not how it works.
    That sounds good.

While I have your attention, where do I find documentation for the app's multitude of device settings?

Also what color should the device's light be when it is connected and properly working? My device is blue and everything seems OK.
    Blue means working correctly, so you're ok.
    Hey Snirpo,

Thank you very much for the quick response.
    I don't like to have Google Maps as start app.

I tried everything to have another app as start app, but did not find a way to change it.

My last hope is to emulate touch inputs on the head unit.

Can you please give me some support how to emulate touch inputs?

Thank you very much.
    It's not possible right now, we have to implement it. But it's quite some work and it will be pretty wonky with all the screen sizes and stuff.
    Hi all, I have a 2020 Corolla Sedan (USA). This car only supports CarPlay, not Android Android Auto.

We purchased the latest version of AAWireless and enrolled in the beta program to enable AA over CP and it actually loads in the car and looks and works like native AA, which is amazing.

We have 2 problems though which is why I am posting.

1. It takes 1 to 4 "reboots" of the dongle to finally load AA (the light goes through the flashing green and flashing blue before resetting and trying again on its own).

2. Once loaded phone calls through AA are in fast forward and sound like a chipmunk. Occasionally GPS also lags, I'm not using the infinite touch setting.

I've spent hours tweaking the various settings and modes but haven't found a combo that fixes these issues.

Appreciate any guidance!
    AA over CP is still very much beta quality. We'll add these issues to our backlog, but right now AA over CP has low prio.
    Core feature or not, everyone knows it's capable of it.
    Nobody is asking for it to be fixed right away, simply acknowledged. @leroy_sunset had no replies to the post back in October and had a support experience that mirrored mine. I was even told "no other Polestar owner has reported this", which was quite clearly not true.

I'm a developer Monday to Friday too, and if I brushed off paying customers with niche requirements, I'd not have a job.
    Hell, right now I and about a dozen other developers are working on a feature to be used by 1 customer.

All I'm asking is that this issue, which clearly does exist, is treated correctly.
    It is treated correctly. It's on our backlog and does not have priority right now unfortunately. I do agree our support may have given false info though... So in that sense you have been brushed off. I'm sorry for that.
    I never criticized the developers, once. I never communicated that my expectations were not met. I bought a product, tried it, found it didn't work for my very niche use case. It's beta, I get it. I'm not mad - a tad disappointed, but I am loading the beta updates literally every time they come through hoping it will work. I didn't return the product because I want it to work, I want to support the company, I want to help the developers get this working on my car!

I will say - wireless CarPlay with an iPhone works perfectly on the Polestar! It's a cool product. I am just hoping that AA over CarPlay will come through some day. In no way do I want to discourage the devs - please, please keep trying to get AA over CarPlay to work on my Polestar! I'd pay 2x for it :D

You guys don't even remotely put out a paperweight. You got me in the beta super quick, you're updating all the time. I definitely have a good impression of Snirpo and I know you'll sell plenty more of these once AA starts working on Polestars. The Polestar forums are dying to get something that works!
    Well that did not work, because the phone, a Pixel 7A, turned both Bluetooth and Wifi back on :eek: Tried it numerous times in the car with same results, away from the car both settings remained off as expected. I also want to keep Bluetooth on for hands free phone calls.
    We can add a feature to disable AAW temporarily. Will probably add it as an "app shortcut" so you can place it on your homescreen.
    This thread is dedicated for AAWireless users.

AAWireless is a device which allows you to transform your existing wired Android Auto compatible unit into a Wireless Android Auto unit.

General chat, experience sharing and community support should be expected as well as support from the developers of the product: @Snirpo and myself.
    I used to get the same thing. I believe it is an issue with AA/Google rather than AAW. In any event, I have had to give up on AAW as I can't connect to it/won't update, just sits there with a constant light-blue light. It is a (very expensive) paper weight on my desk now. It is just "too Beta" for my requirements.

I have now got a Carlink 2022 Android box which works flawlessly for me.
    MG ZS EV 2022
    Galaxy S21 Ultra (not rooted)
    I know I should ignore these posts, but these are the comments why I'm honestly considering completely dropping out any forum / reddit / social media. What's the point? We have support, we have warranty, we have a refund policy. It might be "beta" for you, but we shipped over 100k devices and believe me or not, for most, it just works. It's the same thing for all of these dongles. They will not work perfectly for all, there are just too many variables.
    I just want to leave a big THANK YOU for the developers! You invented a great product and do a great job here.

Anyone who has ordered the product knows that it is a crowdfunding project, which may also have teething problems. I find it cheeky to get upset about problems, even though they are dealt with promptly here. What more should the distributors do than react to the problems here and offer solutions?

I also have problems with the device, but I was helped quickly. Even if it takes a few days.

Dear team: Keep up the good work!
    Very close to release of 2.1.0 now. We fixed the UConnect issue, except for some cases where you still have to re-plug the device, but this is also the case on the MA1.
    We fixed the "VW Headunit crashing on skipping tracks" issue now completely. Confirmed it's a bug on the HU side, latency makes it worse. We will probably push a new firmware by the end of this week.
    I will also submit a bug report to Google, cause they can fix/workaround this issue as well for cabled users.