Access internet from PC via PDA's WiFi - proof of concept

Search This thread

znos

Dec 9, 2006
When your PDA is connected to a wireless WiFi (not cellular) network, it is possible to "share" this connection with your PC. Thus you can browse the web on your PC by using the PDA's WiFi.
The connection sharing is done by two programs: WMTunnel and SerialTunnel. WMTunnel runs on the PDA and connects to the internet. SerialTunnel runs on a PC and acts as a "gateway" by accepting connections from your web browser and forwarding them to WMTunnel. Both are connected to each other via serial line (real COM port or Bluetooth SPP).

More detailed explanation: HERE

Last edited:

znos

Dec 9, 2006
As far as i know, wmwifirouter acts like a wifi access point and shares the cellular data connection.
My software shares the wifi connection.

snkchaos

Jun 23, 2007
I can't get it to work with WM5 SP and also does this work with USB to Smartphone instead of bluetooth?

h4waii

Nov 9, 2007
Yes, it will work fine using USB. You can ignore the steps using Bluesoleil since that is for BT SPPIO.

snkchaos

Jun 23, 2007
Im trying to run WMTunnel but I get a error. This is on WM5 Smartphones.

And what's the port number for the USB?

Boidy

Jan 23, 2007
North Wales / Warwick
Awesome, it does exactly what it says on the 'tin'. I've just bought myself an iPod Touch and using this software, I can use my 3G connection on my HTC Trinity to download from iTunes or surf the net on the iPod, if I happen to be in a non-wifi hotspot. Its like have a 3G iPhone, before they are released and without the tie in to O2.

Mike1002

Nov 18, 2007
Does anyone know if this is possible, sometimes my router decides to break all the wired connections, and just doesnt work for no apparent reason whatsoever, but the WiFi works fine.
It would be nice to still be able to use the 'net when this happens.

Cheers, Mike.

Justin99

Jan 2, 2010
New program?

sorry for resurrecting an old post...

Anyone write any new programs like the one Znos wrote about? Or does anyone have access to the old files?

I tried downloading from the my.opera link that Znos gave, but continuously get an "access forbidden" message.

Thanks!

Dr4g0n75

Mar 6, 2008
Raleigh
what exactly are you trying to download that you get the error msg?
i downloaded the wmtunnel and serialtunnel_setup just fine

does anyone know if that be used as a wifi adapter for the xbox 360? it would be a good use for an old apache i have laying around

Justin99

Jan 2, 2010
What link?

Those are exactly the files that I'm trying to download and am receiving an "access forbidden" message.

What download link did you use?