Accessibility Settings Crashes

Search This thread

WiggleCat

Jun 17, 2016
Sevierville
I "upgraded" to Android 11 and, among the myriad of other issues, I can't open accessibility settings at all. The ROM is stock, not rooted, and opening the accessibility app via the app info screen with the button in the bottom left pulls up a full screen notification that vibrates my phone telling me it detected a baby crying. Accessibility settings don't work at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do that isn't a factory reset in order to fix this? I tried restarting to safe mode and the behavior doesn't change.

Limeybastard

I "upgraded" to Android 11 and, among the myriad of other issues, I can't open accessibility settings at all. The ROM is stock, not rooted, and opening the accessibility app via the app info screen with the button in the bottom left pulls up a full screen notification that vibrates my phone telling me it detected a baby crying. Accessibility settings don't work at all.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do that isn't a factory reset in order to fix this? I tried restarting to safe mode and the behavior doesn't change.
Prior to your andoid 11 upgrade did you use adb to remove anything?

WiggleCat

Jun 17, 2016
Sevierville
Prior to your andoid 11 upgrade did you use adb to remove anything?
Yes, and the accessibility settings were working fine afterwards. I uninstalled things llke Chrome, Facebook services, and the default Samsung browser to name a few. I didn't full on debloat the phone, I only removed things that were actually bloatware I'd never used in the past and won't use in the future. And Facebook. If it matters, I have the unlocked variant of the N20U.

Edit: My next move was going to be pulling up a list of packages somehow that tells me which are installed for user 0 and which aren't to see where the problem lies. But again, I only uninstalled the obvious bloatware such as browsers that other apps would open over my default. Various background services, fonts, themes, etc that are just there but don't use resources, such as the car mode stuff I know I'll never use, was left alone.

Last edited:

Limeybastard

Yes, and the accessibility settings were working fine afterwards. I uninstalled things llke Chrome, Facebook services, and the default Samsung browser to name a few. I didn't full on debloat the phone, I only removed things that were actually bloatware I'd never used in the past and won't use in the future. And Facebook. If it matters, I have the unlocked variant of the N20U.

Edit: My next move was going to be pulling up a list of packages somehow that tells me which are installed for user 0 and which aren't to see where the problem lies. But again, I only uninstalled the obvious bloatware such as browsers that other apps would open over my default. Various background services, fonts, themes, etc that are just there but don't use resources, such as the car mode stuff I know I'll never use, was left alone.
The reason I mentioned this was because I had a similar issue whereby selecting accessibility within the settings menu would result in null,meaning nothing would happen. If memory serves me correctly it was related to samsung keyboard that I had removed, but can't be sure. But I believe you're on the right track to figure it out.

WiggleCat

Jun 17, 2016
Sevierville
The reason I mentioned this was because I had a similar issue whereby selecting accessibility within the settings menu would result in null,meaning nothing would happen. If memory serves me correctly it was related to samsung keyboard that I had removed, but can't be sure. But I believe you're on the right track to figure it out.
I did disable the Samsung keyboard. That could be it. I'll give that a go when I get a chance.

Reactions: blazer2702

WiggleCat

Jun 17, 2016
Sevierville
That was it. It was the Samsung keyboard. What a weird outcome for disabling something so trivial. I was trying to reinstall it with the old package name com.sec.android.inputmethod and it took me a while to figure out it is now called com.samsung.android.honeyboard. But once I reinstalled that for user 0 accessibility settings started working again. Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll have to leave that installed then.

Limeybastard

That was it. It was the Samsung keyboard. What a weird outcome for disabling something so trivial. I was trying to reinstall it with the old package name com.sec.android.inputmethod and it took me a while to figure out it is now called com.samsung.android.honeyboard. But once I reinstalled that for user 0 accessibility settings started working again. Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll have to leave that installed then.
Glad it helped. It puzzled me originally also., Found it in the end by backtracking on all the apps I'd uninstalled via adb one by one.

mojicacarmelo

Jan 18, 2019
Im having the same problem, how you guys solve this cant install the apk and look like on my case adb is not picking up my ui 3.0 s20+ maybe a complete wipe (which im trying to avoid) thanks in advance

User1038572

Jan 14, 2021
Made an account just to say thank you so much for this. This was the perfect fix for me and I can use half of my apps again since I can use the accessibility app now. Never expected a keyboard uninstallation to scuff half of my apps.
WiggleCat as well for the honeyboard package name.

For anyone needing an easy copy paste into command prompt, it's:
adb shell
cmd package install-existing com.samsung.android.honeyboard

Limeybastard

Made an account just to say thank you so much for this. This was the perfect fix for me and I can use half of my apps again since I can use the accessibility app now. Never expected a keyboard uninstallation to scuff half of my apps.

adb shell
My pleasure. Enjoy your stay here. Some nice folks.

Konnichy

Sep 5, 2008

adb shell
Thanks for the command. It fixed it for me!

D

Deleted member 11235233

Damn! that went smoothly. Accessibility fixed after reinstalling the Samsung keyboard. Anyways if someone still doesn't want that annoying keyboard shown, you can disable it via ADB. The command is

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.honeyboard

Olcool

Nov 16, 2021
This saved me by inches from factory resetting my phone. However not long enough to save my whole Macrodroid macros library that i had already uninstalled because it was no longer working since it depends on accessibility services and i was desperate to get a solution. However, i have learnt a big lesson that debloating need to be done carefully if not at all. some apps are critical bindles of other critical functions

mynameisj0nny

Mar 30, 2018
I think everything was okay for me, until I did something... been a bit busy testing (apps and modules), every day learning a little (the hard way, and never enough!)

not sure the extent of severity of my issues, let alone the root causes.
Is usb debugging the only way to debug? (I found this thread whilst looking for apps+ to troubleshoot system config, hours in the endless permissions settings only to discover today that it's crashing a lot, not because of MD AFAIK, but hard to say).

`ladb` crashes, as do other apps. using a magisk thing that doesn't appear to have a repo installer, along with a chinese looking lsposed module, that has some repos, but most chinese.

Ideally I think I'd like to iterate over disabling things, not even sure if de-bloat was effective (apps appeared to go after I thought I ran a universal script, but I didn't click remove on anything, as didn't know I had to!)

In short, I'm quite good at getting in quite a pickle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

adb shell

adb shell
    My pleasure. Enjoy your stay here. Some nice folks.
    Glad it helped. It puzzled me originally also., Found it in the end by backtracking on all the apps I'd uninstalled via adb one by one.