Accidentally OTA updated my pixel, all fine but root gone

ViruuZ

May 21, 2013
Baden-Württemberg
So i accidentally updated my pixel firmware via official OTA update (security patch 5. january 2021). First i was scared of a bootloop but it all went fine and booted.

Of course my root is gone now, but i want to root it again. Bootloader is still unlocked. Does anyone know, if i can just flash the magist boot.img again and it will boot fine? Or is there a risk that maybe THIS will cause a bootloop?

Thanks!

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
So i accidentally updated my pixel firmware via official OTA update (security patch 5. january 2021). First i was scared of a bootloop but it all went fine and booted.

Of course my root is gone now, but i want to root it again. Bootloader is still unlocked. Does anyone know, if i can just flash the magist boot.img again and it will boot fine? Or is there a risk that maybe THIS will cause a bootloop?

Thanks!
You need to patch the new boot.img.

Reactions: ViruuZ

ViruuZ

May 21, 2013
Baden-Württemberg
well, was a bit hasty here. I knew i could patch it via magisk, but last time there already was a patched image given. How can i extract my boot.img without root now? Or is there maybe a given for the last update?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Reactions: ViruuZ

xT29c

Dec 25, 2011
You need to patch the new boot.img.
No you don't. You only have to repatch the new boot image when a new major Android revision comes out. For example going from Android 11 to 12. I've updated my Pixel 5 every month a new update comes out. And I've always used the same boot.image file. No need to keep wasting your time patching that file. When you look through the OTA files you'll notice that none of those files in the zip file are a boot.image file. Meaning it doesn't touch it when it's doing the OTA.

hanni2301

Nov 4, 2014
Why do you ask me?

I always patch the actual boot.img out of the monthly factory image with magisk (beta or Canary) first and flash then the factory image, reboot, flash boot boot.img and afterwards the custom kernel.

@xT29c said that you can reuse ure patched boot.img from last month, as it changes only between different mayor Versions.

So you can save some time, but the process is still the same.