• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Acer Iconia Tab A500

Search This thread

jl1030

Oct 31, 2007
Hong Kong
First of all, I would like to request a section on this tablet, funny how the Transformer even got one when is not released yet.

Second of all, I'm quite a noob on the subject matter. But to all the A500 owners out there, any idea how to get the tethering to work?
I have the Atrix 4G rooted, and for some reason my A500 can't pick up the signal. Any ideas? (I read something about the "infrastrusture" and "ad-hoc" things, but not sure about it)

Thanks

Budadank

Jul 5, 2006
I'm having the same problem tethering my A500 to my T-Mob G1.

You're correct in saying that it's down to the difference between Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure Wireless Networking. Some phones tether using Ad-Hoc, some use Infrastructure. The Iconia A500 only supports Infrastructure. Hopefully it won't be too long before Paul O'Brien et al can root it and we can get a custom kernel with support for Ad-Hoc networks.

Also, +1 for Acer Iconia A500 Forum please!

mr_wrong_0

Dec 8, 2008
Colorado
If you have root then you should be able to replace the wpa_supplicant file with the one from this thread like we did on the Xoom.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1033314

You can use Root explorer rather than ADB if you want.
First you want to turn off your wifi. I have used the ADB method a couple of times but I find it easier to use Root explorer. Save the file to your memory, Copy it using root explorer, navigate to the system/bin folder and click mount R/W then paste the file into the folder replacing the original (make sure to make a backup!) then long hold on the file and view permissions, check all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column. (chmod 775) You can then restart your wifi and enjoy ad-hoc networks (no reboot needed.)

I've done this a couple of times on my Xoom and it works great

disruptorx

Oct 11, 2006
Singapore
Forum section

another vote..plus im having problems with setting up exchange activesync on my a500..TouchDown works fine though..any one having the same sorta problem?:confused:

jl1030

Oct 31, 2007
Hong Kong
Thanks, I've been looking into this method too.
But we are currently still waiting for the Acer Tab to be rooted. Hopefully will be soon.

If you have root then you should be able to replace the wpa_supplicant file with the one from this thread like we did on the Xoom.

First you want to turn off your wifi. I have used the ADB method a couple of times but I find it easier to use Root explorer. Save the file to your memory, Copy it using root explorer, navigate to the system/bin folder and click mount R/W then paste the file into the folder replacing the original (make sure to make a backup!) then long hold on the file and view permissions, check all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column. (chmod 775) You can then restart your wifi and enjoy ad-hoc networks (no reboot needed.)

acebogomir

Mar 7, 2010
another vote..plus im having problems with setting up exchange activesync on my a500..TouchDown works fine though..any one having the same sorta problem?:confused:

I have the same problem. Does not let me setup an exchange account only pop3 and Imap. I thought that's standard with all Android version since 2.0 or so? Any ideas?

Thanks

msoler8785

Mar 25, 2009
Havertown
Just got mine yesterday. Obvioulsy their honeycomb release still needs polishing. Also upset there is no exchange support out of the box. +1 for Iconia forum!

skyfox99

Nov 8, 2007
I'm a Yank in Texas
Got mine yesterday in anticipation the Asus launch would leave many (including myself) with out one. From the research I have done, Exchange is not supported natively in Honeycomb at all, coming in a future update. You can, however, use K-9 Mail which is working flawlessly for me and free in the market.

+ 1.5 (I am a big guy) for the Acer Iconia dedicated forum.

RemoteDJ

Aug 29, 2006
Phoenix, AZ - USA
Got my A500 yesterday and already like it infinitely better than the xoom I returned shortly after launch!

++A500 dedicated formum... pretty pretty please!

Can't wait until we can crack this sucker open!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, I would like to request a section on this tablet, funny how the Transformer even got one when is not released yet.

Second of all, I'm quite a noob on the subject matter. But to all the A500 owners out there, any idea how to get the tethering to work?
    I have the Atrix 4G rooted, and for some reason my A500 can't pick up the signal. Any ideas? (I read something about the "infrastrusture" and "ad-hoc" things, but not sure about it)

Thanks

+1 forum, just got mine tonight at BB, they had about 30 in stock, I was wondering if Superoneclick will root the Iconia?

Nope. Tried it every which way.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App
    What formats does clear.fi support i have wmv's and mp4's but nothing but some mp4's play and some dont and what format do i need to convert for clear.fi to work properly

clear.fi is just a certified dlna transport so it basically supports what the tablet supports which unfortunately I don't have the solid details on.

Update: I did some digging and I found THIS. Currently, this is also the only format the tablet plays on it's video players etc. but people may find themselves playing mkv and such as those are just file wrappers.

Hope this helps.