• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Acer Iconia Tab A500

Search This thread

TXEvo

Jun 15, 2010
I am currently working on rooting my Iconia, I want to be able to uninstall apps and also to see about putting the AOSP of HoneyComb on it and see if there is that big of a performance jump... But none-the-less I am tethering to my Sprint Evo on CM7 and my T-Mo MyTouch 4G on CM7. Picks them up no issue.

I am not having the on and off 15 minutes, The only issue I have noticed is that FB will say connection failed or something alot and then hitting refresh will bring it back.. does it alot, but that is the only thing so far, enjoy the host USB as well it is badass.

PLEASE MAKE A DEDICATED FORUM, I WILL CREATE A NEW ROOTING THREAD PLEASE! Thank you

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
I've got the same issue of the tab waking up every 15 minutes, will try disabling wifi to see if it stops.

The integrated nemoplayer app has the best performance among the players I tried (rockplayer, standard android player, qq player) but it's not perfect.
It sucks so bad, the only video it plays was like in slow motion.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Something weird about my Tab lately, I can't seem to install apps from market, always say "installation of app unsuccessful", this happens when i try to update my apps too.

Anyone got the same problem? shall I wipe the tablet?

I have gotten that a few times too. A reboot (or two) seemed to fix it. Then again, it could be a Honeycomb issues and the reboot had nothing to do with it working again.

mantrajt

May 3, 2009
Am I the only one...

Hi:
Just bought few days ago (of course) this tab, and I have several issues regarding Honeycomb performance, inconsistency, several force closes and the known lack of tab specific developed apps.

Also I don´t feel it as snappy as I should be...it usually gets laggy while browsing through my home screens, rotating and scrolling kind of leaves a trace as you move, giving you the feeling of slowliness and heavyness....both cameras suck, although I don´t care cause I don´t see me taking pictures with this large apparatus...

Screen quality is acceptable to poor, very glossy and reflective, washed out colors and poor view angles.

So the question is...am I the only one? Should I expect radical software improvement troguh Honeycomb updates? Will time cure this wound of deception...

Come on Google...don´t release software that is not as polished as other os, this misslead costumers to migrate to other platforms....users don´t ussually change os day over night...If they are not fullfilled with this expensive piece of gadget, next time they will go for the other one ...and you all know what I mean by the other one.

Thanks.

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
Hi:
Just bought few days ago (of course) this tab, and I have several issues regarding Honeycomb performance, inconsistency, several force closes and the known lack of tab specific developed apps.

Also I don´t feel it as snappy as I should be...it usually gets laggy while browsing through my home screens, rotating and scrolling kind of leaves a trace as you move, giving you the feeling of slowliness and heavyness....both cameras suck, although I don´t care cause I don´t see me taking pictures with this large apparatus...

Screen quality is acceptable to poor, very glossy and reflective, washed out colors and poor view angles.

So the question is...am I the only one? Should I expect radical software improvement troguh Honeycomb updates? Will time cure this wound of deception...

Come on Google...don´t release software that is not as polished as other os, this misslead costumers to migrate to other platforms....users don´t ussually change os day over night...If they are not fullfilled with this expensive piece of gadget, next time they will go for the other one ...and you all know what I mean by the other one.

Thanks.

You seem to be the only one thinking the screen is acceptable to poor. Software (HC) is an issue indeed, but updates should fix that...

mantrajt

May 3, 2009
The screen issue is caused maybe because I´m spoiled cause my phone is a Samsung Galaxys S where the screen is just AWESOME....great black, contrast...etc

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
yeah, having the same issue. I think it is something to do with wifi, performing a wake up.
haven't completly isolated issue, disabled wifi and didn't notice another wake up. Currently trying no wifi notifications and wifi off when screen off.

Getting heaps of fc from from quite a few apps and a few issues installing apps from the market (where it will not download for a while or not at all)

cheers

Did you solved it yet? I want to do a factory reset to see if it's a bug that comes with my device. But maybe you have a diagnosed the problem? I still haven't found the culprit.

Also, once in a while the light of the on/off button turns on suddenly.

Edit: +1 for a dedicated forum.

Neoprimal

Apr 20, 2007
Alexandria, VA
yeah, having the same issue. I think it is something to do with wifi, performing a wake up.
haven't completly isolated issue, disabled wifi and didn't notice another wake up. Currently trying no wifi notifications and wifi off when screen off.

Getting heaps of fc from from quite a few apps and a few issues installing apps from the market (where it will not download for a while or not at all)

cheers

I've touched on this in another post. It's due to syncs and notifications, this is why when wifi is off it doesn't do it (no more notifs). You can try something else which I did and mine didnt wake up on it's own after that....there's a setting in the wifi/bt/time area called "Notification", if you set that to off it MAY not happen again. But with these things results are never typical. Some apps may force notif. somehow as they may not necessarily be HC optimized.
However, mine hasn't lit up since I did that. I've re-enabled it now because I actually like to see it do that as I know I have new email or news in pulse.
I proposed that it was either a purposeful idea by Acer or a bug, because of the Notification setting controlling the behavior, I'm leaning toward Acer doing it on purpose (since there are no easily visible notif. lights, they prob. decided the screen coming on briefly was the next best thing).

As for the fcs, I havent been getting heaps but I have seen a number of FCs, for me they come from the market very rarely, and from CoPilot mostly which is understandable since it's not HC optimized. Also I expected way more than I get seeing as how more than 3/4 of the apps I've installed aren't even Tablet optimized.

I haven't seen any slowdowns. The unlock screen is a bit laggy and I chalk that up to the tablet ramping up from 200mhz, which is what it falls to when it's resting. I have 119 apps installed of which about 9 are games. Many games and apps are not HC optimized but work, there could easily be background things messing up your system there. There are also many apps that are obviously not tablet friendly and just show up in a small rectangular portion of the screen. They work otherwise, but I don't trust them so I uninstalled all of those as I'd rather wait for them to at least fill the screen as they are supposed to vs. sit in a tiny phone sized portion of my screen.

Hope this helps.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
I've touched on this in another post. It's due to syncs and notifications, this is why when wifi is off it doesn't do it (no more notifs). You can try something else which I did and mine didnt wake up on it's own after that....there's a setting in the wifi/bt/time area called "Notification", if you set that to off it MAY not happen again. But with these things results are never typical. Some apps may force notif. somehow as they may not necessarily be HC optimized.
However, mine hasn't lit up since I did that. I've re-enabled it now because I actually like to see it do that as I know I have new email or news in pulse.
I proposed that it was either a purposeful idea by Acer or a bug, because of the Notification setting controlling the behavior, I'm leaning toward Acer doing it on purpose (since there are no easily visible notif. lights, they prob. decided the screen coming on briefly was the next best thing)..

It may have to do something with background services checking for mail, news, weather data etc. But to turn on the screen for this is idiosyncratic. That would drain the battery as crazy.

I think it's a serious bug. A big one. Hope Acer will do something about this soon.

Neoprimal

Apr 20, 2007
Alexandria, VA
It may have to do something with background services checking for mail, news, weather data etc. But to turn on the screen for this is idiosyncratic. That would drain the battery as crazy.

I think it's a serious bug. A big one. Hope Acer will do something about this soon.

Just back to say it looks like a bug. I turned my notif. on again but I turned it off and actually watched it carefully for a few hours since my last post actually and it did come on a few times. Not very many, maybe 3 or 4 max. I don't think it'll be a battery problem but who knows....I imagine it can't be good for people who decide to disable their locked screens.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Just back to say it looks like a bug. I turned my notif. on again but I turned it off and actually watched it carefully for a few hours since my last post actually and it did come on a few times. Not very many, maybe 3 or 4 max. I don't think it'll be a battery problem but who knows....I imagine it can't be good for people who decide to disable their locked screens.

It's a pity. I can live with it when I have the lock screen turned on. Nevertheless there seem to be people who don't have this issue. That's what makes this so frustrating :)
Think I'm going to try a hard reset.

cmdpapichulo

Nov 4, 2009
What formats does clear.fi support i have wmv's and mp4's but nothing but some mp4's play and some dont and what format do i need to convert for clear.fi to work properly

Neoprimal

Apr 20, 2007
Alexandria, VA
What formats does clear.fi support i have wmv's and mp4's but nothing but some mp4's play and some dont and what format do i need to convert for clear.fi to work properly

clear.fi is just a certified dlna transport so it basically supports what the tablet supports which unfortunately I don't have the solid details on.

Update: I did some digging and I found THIS. Currently, this is also the only format the tablet plays on it's video players etc. but people may find themselves playing mkv and such as those are just file wrappers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmdpapichulo

cmdpapichulo

Nov 4, 2009
clear.fi is just a certified dlna transport so it basically supports what the tablet supports which unfortunately I don't have the solid details on.

Update: I did some digging and I found THIS. Currently, this is also the only format the tablet plays on it's video players etc. but people may find themselves playing mkv and such as those are just file wrappers.

Hope this helps.

well i have several mp4's some can be played an seen and some mp4's are not visible for playing:confused:

nasimdejai

Aug 2, 2010
How does ASTO look on the tablet? I have tried a few apps that were originally for the phone and they look really crappy. Sometimes buttons are obscured or misaligned, sometimes you can access the options menus, and sometimes they appear in a tiny box at the top of the pad.
Most of the apps aren't yet optimized for tablets that's why most of them turn out obscure,out of place or wonky looking.You'll have to do a research in order to know which of the apps are more tablet compatible.Tried using the xda app but it keeps crashing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, I would like to request a section on this tablet, funny how the Transformer even got one when is not released yet.

Second of all, I'm quite a noob on the subject matter. But to all the A500 owners out there, any idea how to get the tethering to work?
    I have the Atrix 4G rooted, and for some reason my A500 can't pick up the signal. Any ideas? (I read something about the "infrastrusture" and "ad-hoc" things, but not sure about it)

Thanks
    If you have root then you should be able to replace the wpa_supplicant file with the one from this thread like we did on the Xoom.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1033314

You can use Root explorer rather than ADB if you want.
    First you want to turn off your wifi. I have used the ADB method a couple of times but I find it easier to use Root explorer. Save the file to your memory, Copy it using root explorer, navigate to the system/bin folder and click mount R/W then paste the file into the folder replacing the original (make sure to make a backup!) then long hold on the file and view permissions, check all the boxes in the first two columns and the first 2 in the last column. (chmod 775) You can then restart your wifi and enjoy ad-hoc networks (no reboot needed.)

I've done this a couple of times on my Xoom and it works great
    +1 forum, just got mine tonight at BB, they had about 30 in stock, I was wondering if Superoneclick will root the Iconia?

Nope. Tried it every which way.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

Hope this helps.