Acer Iconia W3 Tablet

Search This thread

inmnbob

Jan 11, 2009
Chicago
I just got the 64k model for $299. It is much better than peole have said. The screen isn't as good as it could be but it is really useable.

I bought this to take to meetings and have a better way to see my calendar and meeting file attachments than my Note 2.

I agree with the previous poster.I never would use the pen on the iPad but could use the capacitive pen and onenote on this device.

I have a lot of different tablets and think this is good for what it does. I will take this and my note 8 on the road

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: Looneytoon98

BereanPK

Mar 29, 2008
Western PA
I bought my 64GB version early in October primarily because of the form factor and the fact that this is (was?) the first 8" full Windows 8 (not RT) tablet.

For rounding in the hospital, etc., it's great, fits perfectly in my lab coat pocket, can use capacitive pen (adonit jot or other fine-point pens) with OneNote metro and works very well for taking notes while talking with patients (though obviously a digitizer would be FAR better, but I can't fit a Surface Pro in my coat pocket!).

Agree with the cons with the screen, but for what it is, it's really usable.

Thank G-d it's a "throwaway", because after the new year, I fully intend to look at the upcoming 8" Windows tablets slated for release from other companies to see what may be better than this one.

Two questions though:
1) people here are saying that they're turning hibernation off... I never did have it on, but would LOVE to have it available (yea I know I'm weird)... on my Lenovo Yoga 13, it was easy enough to find in the Power settings, but for whatever reason, I can't seem to find the same setting on the Iconia? Any thoughts guys?

2) Slightly off-the-point but should be usable on the Iconia, with the 8.1 upgrade, I read that MS threw "Outlook RT" into the mix for the RT devices. I'd love know see if we could get a copy of that to install on these devices...?

~ BereanPK

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
2) Slightly off-the-point but should be usable on the Iconia, with the 8.1 upgrade, I read that MS threw "Outlook RT" into the mix for the RT devices. I'd love know see if we could get a copy of that to install on these devices...?

~ BereanPK

Outlook for RT is ARM, so you have the exact opposite of the old "can I run X application on my RT". The x86 version of course has been out for over a decade but normally isn't free.

Look up thunderbird as a free alternative.

The new 8" tablets include MS Office for free, dont think outlook is included in that though.

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
1) people here are saying that they're turning hibernation off... I never did have it on, but would LOVE to have it available (yea I know I'm weird)... on my Lenovo Yoga 13, it was easy enough to find in the Power settings, but for whatever reason, I can't seem to find the same setting on the Iconia? Any thoughts guys?

~ BereanPK

Windows 8 uses hibernation features by default, that is how it boots up so quickly. It is actually a bit difficult to disable it. In reality, an SSD is so quick that the traditional hibernation is not really that effective.

I generally leave mine in standby when not in use.

pureportableproject

Jun 2, 2014
Does anyone have a recovery disc to download it?

Huh, do you really need it? Just Google it. There are lots of images floating around.

I just got mine now and it has been delivered with a recovery DVD. - nore i dont need it, cause it has a recovery partition from factory.
So I am lucky, i get a 64GB Model for the price of a 32GB type...

For the prize, its the the best buck i shot in the last time.

This is my first post here, if you really need the recovery DVD, thats no problem, just contact me.

Hope that helps....

MyMenagerie

Jul 22, 2014
Acer W3 help

I have an Acer W3 and need to know how to make it see my external hard drive as more than just file storage. I want to be able to put executable files there and utilize them without taking up space on the tablet. Any suggestions how I can do this? Thanks in advance!

cd10dc

Jul 17, 2012
no need recover dvd.

need Acer Iconia W3-810 Recover DVD.iso :p

only push windows button and power button and connect at micro usb external dvd rom with windows 8.0 ,
alternative metod:
Here are the steps:

1. Create a bootable USB disk that is compatible with the UEFI GPT partition table. You can do this by using the tool Rufus.

2. Turn on the tablet and press <F2> when the Acer logo appears.

3. Use the mouse to navigate to the boot menu tab and adjust the boot sequence by moving the USB disk to the first entry.

4. Save the changes and the tablet will boot from the USB stick.

5. Wait a few minutes to complete the USB boot.

6. Install Windows just like you do on a regular pc. ATTENTION: DO NOT DELETE THE PARTITIONS ON THE SSD! You should only format the Windows partition and select that partition to install Windows. DO NOT DELETE OR MODIFY THE OTHER PARTITIONS! They are necessary for the recovery media and the UEFI.

7. Activate Windows with your license.

8. Install the drivers by downloading them from the support site. For the current drivers, click here (11 february 2014): click! Unzip the folder that is stored in the zip. Install all the drivers at the same time by executing the setup file. Restart the tablet to make the changes take effect. Give the tablet some minutes to restart.

9. Install te updates that Windows Update offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: dj_eg

min1968

Dec 29, 2006
Thanks. I followed this and installed latest Win 8.1 to my 64GB W3-810.
Question: is it possible to back up my fresh install into current 8GB recovery partition, so that I can restore any time?
Right now the recovery partition stores very old factory Win 8.0, if restored, it takes extreme long time to get latest 8.1 updates, I hate that.

only push windows button and power button and connect at micro usb external dvd rom with windows 8.0 ,
alternative metod:
Here are the steps:

1. Create a bootable USB disk that is compatible with the UEFI GPT partition table. You can do this by using the tool Rufus.

3. Use the mouse to navigate to the boot menu tab and adjust the boot sequence by moving the USB disk to the first entry.

6. Install Windows just like you do on a regular pc. ATTENTION: DO NOT DELETE THE PARTITIONS ON THE SSD! You should only format the Windows partition and select that partition to install Windows. DO NOT DELETE OR MODIFY THE OTHER PARTITIONS! They are necessary for the recovery media and the UEFI.

8. Install the drivers by downloading them from the support site. For the current drivers, click here (11 february 2014): click! Unzip the folder that is stored in the zip. Install all the drivers at the same time by executing the setup file. Restart the tablet to make the changes take effect. Give the tablet some minutes to restart.

chimbozas

Jul 28, 2014
i have the Acer Iconia w3 810 and i have problems paring my logitech k480 keyboard and using the hdmi port

unicastbg

May 1, 2011
Sofia
Sony Xperia V
Xiaomi Mi 5s
I've been playing with this tablet for a while and when things got bad had always to go back to the recovery OS, which is Windows 8 and then make my way up to Windows 10 1703.
When trying to install 1703 directly, booting up from the SD card and formatting the storage, I always ended up on a black screen after the installation was done and the files were copied.
After playing with this for a while, I made a Windows image with the proper drivers and now you can go straight to Windows 10 1703. This is an original Windows image with the only change being the drivers included in the boot.wim (so you don't have to browse for the storage drivers) and the same drivers included in the install.wim file.
I'm sharing the iso file if someone wants to try it. You can find it here.
Next stop - see if 1709 can be installed. If it works, you'll see the image under the same link.

unicastbg

May 1, 2011
Sofia
Sony Xperia V
Xiaomi Mi 5s
Well what do you know... This tablet can run 21H2...

20230420_012944~2.JPG

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disabling hibernate will also free some space (by default, the hiberfile is the same size as your RAM, so it can be pretty significant). While hibernate on a mobile device is usually really nice, on a tablet I don't see the need. Any use case that involves putting it on the shelf unplugged for longer than you'd want to leave it in sleep mode should be fine with powering it off instead.

The main uses I have for hibernate are either:
    A) Full-disk encryption (BitLocker) where sleep mode is less secure (because the decryption key can be recovered from the still-active RAM)
    B) Emergency power-down for critical battery level (without losing any work).

Although these use cases are significant, for most people A is irrelevant and B isn't vital. Sleep mode at 10% battery remaining would still last you all day.

EDIT: To disable Hibernate, do the following:
    Run an elevated CMD prompt (you can do it by right-clicking on the Start button, or selecting Command Prompt in the Start screen and choosing Run as Administrator from the app bar).
    Run the following command (without the quotes) in the elevated prompt: "powercfg -H OFF"
    You may want to then adjust your power profiles, if they were doing things like entering hibernate when the battery got low, so they do something else instead.
    The display isn't the best but I have no problems reading with the Kindle app, watching movies or playing games. I love using my W3, I even sold my Note 8.0. I have a Surface Pro and this is the perfect companion device. I don't have to make any compromises or find similar programs to use.

I am a Marine and we live in the Windows world and use our ID's (combined access cards) to log into the network and various DOD websites. Using my W3 and a USB cac reader I am able to do my work on the go. The only thing it is missing is the digitizer that my Surface Pro has. If it had that I would be 110% satisfied. Hopefully someone comes out with an 8in Windows 8 device with a digitizer. I would never have to carry pen and paper again.

I have the 64 gig version, first thing I did was disable hibernate and remove the recorvery partition. I also installed a 64 gig SD. I have 18 gig free on the hard drive and 16 free on the SD. I keep media on the SD card and use the hard drive for games and programs. Also being able to just plug things in without rooting it or resorting to other tricks makes it worth it. I can just plug in an external and read it. The Nexus 7 and Note 8.0 could to but I had to download an app and root them to be able to do that.

If you want Windows in an 8 in form factor get the W3. Also it is rumored that Acer will be releasing a refresh to the W3 with a better screen since that seems to be the largest complaint people have against the device. I am unaware of anyone else releasing an 8 in Windows device, there are rumblings that Microsoft could be in the works for a 8 in Surface. Who knows but right now the Acer W3 is the only one out there and it works very well.
    I just got the 64k model for $299. It is much better than peole have said. The screen isn't as good as it could be but it is really useable.

I bought this to take to meetings and have a better way to see my calendar and meeting file attachments than my Note 2.

I agree with the previous poster.I never would use the pen on the iPad but could use the capacitive pen and onenote on this device.

I have a lot of different tablets and think this is good for what it does. I will take this and my note 8 on the road

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium HD app
    no need recover dvd.

need Acer Iconia W3-810 Recover DVD.iso :p

alternative metod:
    Here are the steps: