• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ACS][Kernel][Odin] eg30Plus Stock, CWM5 and Plus Tweaks (No root & No BB)

Search This thread

chris41g

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
Stock EG30Plus Kernel for Epic Touch 4g compiled from source, properly.
Proper initramfs
ClockworkMod 5 (Compiled by bubby323)
Various Virtual Machine, Kernel and Network Tweaks I've been using in my plus kernels for quite some time...
Bootanimation support, either bootanimation.zip or sanim.zip
init.d support
Does NOT install Root
Does NOT install Busybox
Odin the tar.md5 file
Immediately update profile

Made this one for cnz, calkulin, and crawrj

http://www.forums.acsyndicate.net/s...-Plus-Tweaks-(No-root-and-does-not-install-BB)

Source:

https://github.com/chris41g/EG30Plus

Thanks to qbking77 for the how to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kExN-Y2pfxA

Thanks to:
bubby323
Drockstar
Johncorleone
pyrostic
rjmjr69
nubecoder
thefredelement
cnz
calkulin
crawrj

Last edited:

slick4mitch

Oct 11, 2009
Not sure why but the .tar file is followed by a .md5 extention, so I just removed it and it became a .tar, just for others to know, thanks ;)

chris41g

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2009
the md5 extension is so you know it hasnt been messed with, and so you know the download is not corrupt...

odin flashes md5s and checks the downloads...

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
Thank you so much. This is perfect. Do have a question. Does this have a new version of cwm or the same one from yesterday? I ask cause the back soft button wasn't working and the storage mounts were reversed. Just checking to see if that has been fixed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

crawrj

Nov 2, 2007
What would be the benefit of flashing this versus your other similar kernel? Sorry if this is a stupid question....

It is the same just without root and busybox. He made it for those of us that prefer having root controlled at the system level versus the kernel. You don't lose anything either way. If you use this you have to make sure you are running an already rooted rom. There is less conflict by doing this since most, if not all, roms are already rooted.

Beejis

Nov 14, 2008
Washington
It is the same just without root and busybox. He made it for those of us that prefer having root controlled at the system level versus the kernel. You don't lose anything either way. If you use this you have to make sure you are running an already rooted rom. There is less conflict by doing this since most, if not all, roms are already rooted.

Once again thanks for you help. One last stupid question before I retire from stupidity, but how do I know which way I am rooted? I thought the only way to root was FROM the kernel. I ask because I'm specifically on midnight rom v2 and have no clue which way I'm rooted.

Tiffany84

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 27, 2010
Is there any way someone could upload a mirror to a different site? I'm wanting to flash this but I'm at work and my company is blocking the site that the link is for. If you can that would be awesome if not, no big deal. I'll try and get it when I get home.

Edit: Nevermind. Managed to get it from my phone.

Last edited:

rickyq12

Jul 31, 2010
Austin, TX

I already rooted via odin with your Deodex method, if I flash this, I'll have CWM and still keep root...correct? My phone has been running great since using your method.

Sent from my GalaxyS2 Epic 4G Touch using XDA premium

Reactions: musclehead84

Tiffany84

Jul 27, 2010
I already rooted via odin with your Deodex method, if I flash this, I'll have CWM and still keep root...correct? My phone has been running great since using your method.

I just flashed this and I have CWM and I kept root so you should be good.

musclehead84

Nov 3, 2010
Falling Waters, WV

Yes you will keep root cause the rom is rooted. As long ad the rom is rooted the kernel doesn't need to. be.

Sent From My Evo Killer!!!

Tiffany84

Jul 27, 2010
Cool, thanks for letting me know. I take it as you were rooted prior to this method. I'll flash once I get home from work.

Sent from my GalaxyTab 10.1 using XDA premium

Your welcome. And yes, I was rooted prior to this.

Vegasden

Aug 26, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
vegasden.net
Just curious, if someone has flashed chris' previous kernel, what benefit is there supposed to be? Is it not the same stock kernel with some tweaks? Especially if you're concerned with losing root. Not singling anyone out, just curious as to the rationale.

Last edited:

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Just curious, if someone has flashed chris' previous kernel, what benefit is there supposed to be? Is it not the same stock kernel with some tweaks? Especially if you're concerned with losing root. Not singling anyone out, just curious as to the rationale.

Because kernels that have forced copying of root & busybox cause issues when you start using complete custom ROMs because they overwrite files that are already included. Plus if your including a custom recovery, what the point of including root, etc when the user can now flash what they want?

Also, Chris, the recovery you have included in this won't mount the internal storage or even make a backup to it or recover, it only wants to use the external sd card and since I don't use one because of the delay it causes coming from sleep, I can't do anything except test flash stuff

Last edited:

rickyq12

Jul 31, 2010
Austin, TX
I flashed this around noon and once my phone rebooted, I updated my 'profile' under 'about phone'. Everything seemed fine, an hour later...I had a LOS, rebooted and got it back, an hour later, same thing...LOS. Rebooted and I updated the profile again, it's fine for now.
Do we have to update profile every time we do a reboot??
Didn't have any issues when in stock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stock EG30Plus Kernel for Epic Touch 4g compiled from source, properly.
    Proper initramfs
    ClockworkMod 5 (Compiled by bubby323)
    Various Virtual Machine, Kernel and Network Tweaks I've been using in my plus kernels for quite some time...
    Bootanimation support, either bootanimation.zip or sanim.zip
    init.d support
    Does NOT install Root
    Does NOT install Busybox
    Odin the tar.md5 file
    Immediately update profile

Made this one for cnz, calkulin, and crawrj

http://www.forums.acsyndicate.net/s...-Plus-Tweaks-(No-root-and-does-not-install-BB)

Source:

https://github.com/chris41g/EG30Plus

Thanks to qbking77 for the how to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kExN-Y2pfxA

Thanks to:
    bubby323
    Drockstar
    Johncorleone
    pyrostic
    rjmjr69
    nubecoder
    thefredelement
    cnz
    calkulin
    crawrj
    the md5 extension is so you know it hasnt been messed with, and so you know the download is not corrupt...

odin flashes md5s and checks the downloads...
    What would be the benefit of flashing this versus your other similar kernel? Sorry if this is a stupid question....