• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Activate VoLTE/ WiFI Calling for Nokia 7 plus

Search This thread

johnnyt76

May 14, 2011
Do you have APN for your carrier with IMS settings?

Hi,

unfortunately not. But it seems to be possible to enable it for every carrier using the Qualcomm tool as described here:

1. *#800# eingeben und dann auf "oneplus Logkit" --> "Function Switch" --> "VoLTE switch" oder "VoWiFi switch" anwählen.
Wenn es nicht verfügbar ist, dann bitte "dump switch" anwählen.
Danach Gerät Neustarten und in den "Einstellungen" unter "SIM & Netzwerk" "VoLTE und WiFi-Calling" anwählen.
2. Ihr geht an eurem Computer und installiert beides.
Qualcomm QPST Diag x64 Treiber
QPST_2.7.474
Wichtig: Es dürfen keine andere Qualcomm Treiber auf dem Computer laufen, bitte vorher deaktivieren, sonst gibt es Fehlermeldungen!
3. Jetzt verbindet ihr euer Handy mit dem Computer über ein "USB-Kabel".
4. Öffnet die Telefon App und gibt diesen Code *#801# ein.
5. Jetzt erscheint ein neues Menü und schaltet "Serial" und "Full-port switch" ein.
6. Jetzt startet ihr das Programm: "PDC" und verbindet es mit eurem Gerät
7. Auf "Oversea-Commercial_DS" rechtsklick dann unter "Deactivate" "Sub0" und "Sub1" anwählen.
8. Jetzt wieder auf "Oversea-Commercial_DS" und unten auf Remove drücken.
Vodafone: H3G_Denmark_Commercial
Telekom/o2: Commercial-DT-VOLTE
9. Wählt jetzt "Commercial-DT-VOLTE oder H3G_Denmark_Commercial" aus, rechtsklick und auf "SetSelectedConfig" "Sub0" und "Sub1" anwählen.
10. Jetzt wieder auf "Commercial-DT-VOLTE oder H3G_Denmark_Commercial" und unten auf Activate drücken.
11. Nachdem ihr alles gemacht habt, macht ihr ein Neustart des Gerätes!
12. Das "VoLTE oder VoWiFi Logo" müsste jetzt in der ausgeklappten Statusleiste zu sehen sein.

Unfortunately this is for OnePlus and I don't get it to work for my Nokia 7 plus.

If somebody could provide a dummy step by step for Nokia I think this would make a lot of people very very happy.

JohnnyT76

Reactions: Drones45

felixkruemel

Jul 9, 2018
It works without problems. Try
setprop sys.usb.config diag,qdss,rmnet_qti_bam,adb
This tutorial up there is possible for every Qualcomm Smartphone. Just do it ;)

I will write a step Bye! step for all Smartphone models on the German „Telekom-hilft-Community“. It‘s already finished, just needs to be published.

DasChillum

Sep 8, 2016
It works without problems. ... Just do it ;)
Bit of an overstatement. *#800# or *#801# doesn't work on Nokia.
And even the equivalent *#*#2684#*#* doesn't for me. So I get stuck at 4/5 because I can't access Engineering Mode.

If we count "oneplus Logkit" in step 1, I get stuck in step 1.

I will write a step Bye! step for all Smartphone models on the German „Telekom-hilft-Community“. It‘s already finished, just needs to be published.
I look forward to it

Reactions: schetz

DasChillum

Sep 8, 2016
[email protected]

Somebody claims to be able to enable VoLTE/ WIFI Calling for all devices on German Telekom using this instructions for OnePlus: [...].

Unfortunately I can't get this to work for my Nokia 7 plus. Anybody in a position to support?

thanx&greetz,

JohnnyT
Having searched a bit more on the topic, I think the situation is this: To use the software from the original thread, you need to enable "Qualcomm Diagnostic Mode". Which if you are running Android Pie as I am, you cannot do without rooting your device.

If you are still on oreo, you might want to try that setprop command of @felixkruemel

Reactions: trveller72

neo920768

Apr 4, 2007
Hi, just a question, that i got the information i read correctly:

If a Nokia 7 plus is on the latest OTA, which means Android 9. There is no chance to enable VoLTE functionality, right?
Did anybody know where this VoLTE issue could be addressed, cause i guess Nokia as well as the providers are not really in the mood to change the behaviour?

Meanwhile i´m in connection with the Nokia Care support, which are honestly sending quite interesting information, but i guess most of them are not true at all.

Thx&br

felixkruemel

Jul 9, 2018
Hi, just a question, that i got the information i read correctly:

If a Nokia 7 plus is on the latest OTA, which means Android 9. There is no chance to enable VoLTE functionality, right?
Did anybody know where this VoLTE issue could be addressed, cause i guess Nokia as well as the providers are not really in the mood to change the behaviour?

Meanwhile i´m in connection with the Nokia Care support, which are honestly sending quite interesting information, but i guess most of them are not true at all.

Thx&br
It‘s already adressed in a Google Android Bug report. Google needs to make an API for such things. Currently network providers don‘t have the ability to choose the right IMS Profile.

If you find a way to root the Nokia 7+ you can enable it.

neo920768

Apr 4, 2007
It‘s already adressed in a Google Android Bug report. Google needs to make an API for such things. Currently network providers don‘t have the ability to choose the right IMS Profile.

If you find a way to root the Nokia 7+ you can enable it.

Thx, but does this mean, that Google is the „guilty“ one at this point and why does some companies are able to make VoLTE possible and some not? I mean, if this could be enabled by rooting the device, it should be possible also for manufacturers like HMD/ Nokia?

Can you share please the Google Android Bug Report content or Link that I can go a little deeper into this issue and understand the issue better.

Thx& br

felixkruemel

Jul 9, 2018
Thx, but does this mean, that Google is the „guilty“ one at this point and why does some companies are able to make VoLTE possible and some not? I mean, if this could be enabled by rooting the device, it should be possible also for manufacturers like HMD/ Nokia?

Can you share please the Google Android Bug Report content or Link that I can go a little deeper into this issue and understand the issue better.

Thx& br

Google hasn‘t implemented an API for changing the IMS profiles. For network carriers it is not possible to send the correct data to device (like it‘s done with APNs).
If the phone does support VoLTE without manually selecting the right profile the network provider and the manufacture of the phone have talked to each other and so they have already implemented the right settings on the device.

Here‘s the bugtracker: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/112570301

neo920768

Apr 4, 2007
Google hasn‘t implemented an API for changing the IMS profiles. For network carriers it is not possible to send the correct data to device (like it‘s done with APNs).
If the phone does support VoLTE without manually selecting the right profile the network provider and the manufacture of the phone have talked to each other and so they have already implemented the right settings on the device.

Here‘s the bugtracker: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/112570301

Thx for the link.
This looks so far not very promising and therefore it looks like people who need VoLTE in use, due to whatever reason, need to wait and hope, or try to enable some alternative profile with root access in Android 9... I hate those kind of chicken-egg problems...
Meanwhile I read the specification a bit and found out, that the IMS information should be sent to the UE via HSS in initial LTE attach procedure, but maybe I misunderstood his kind of flowchart within the specification of the VoLTE specs.
Btw.: Do somebody know, why the switch „extended 4G use“ or „4G calls“ in the Nokia 7 plus is completely not available. Neither „grayed out“, or at least visible?
Thx&br

felixkruemel

Jul 9, 2018
Thx for the link.
This looks so far not very promising and therefore it looks like people who need VoLTE in use, due to whatever reason, need to wait and hope, or try to enable some alternative profile with root access in Android 9... I hate those kind of chicken-egg problems...
Meanwhile I read the specification a bit and found out, that the IMS information should be sent to the UE via HSS in initial LTE attach procedure, but maybe I misunderstood his kind of flowchart within the specification of the VoLTE specs.
Btw.: Do somebody know, why the switch „extended 4G use“ or „4G calls“ in the Nokia 7 plus is completely not available. Neither „grayed out“, or at least visible?
Thx&br

Nokia hides this switch so that the phone doesn‘t do useless registration tries (which consume energy), if the provider hasn‘t spoken with Nokia.

neo920768

Apr 4, 2007
Nokia hides this switch so that the phone doesn‘t do useless registration tries (which consume energy), if the provider hasn‘t spoken with Nokia.

OK, means the provider (for German people: Telekom, Vodafone, O2/Telefonica) need to talk to Nokia? Are you sure on this- I mean, I see that you are very familiar with the topic and helped a lot of people also with the OnePlus. There, i guess (as far i understood) you need to activate some kind of "unusal profile" for India right and this works than for the OnePlus, right? And i guess some kind of fixing is possible also for the Nokia 7 plus if you have root access, or?
And this means that the manufacturers need to update their FW, cause the information should be available what is needed and which modem profile needs to be used, or is there a special kind of certification to use VoLTE on UE´s in different networks, then "damn on the specification"?
But does this then also bring me to the point, that all the mobile manufacturers will have similar problems with the VoLTE activation if they won´t speak with the providers or vice versa, right?

Thx&br

felixkruemel

Jul 9, 2018
OK, means the provider (for German people: Telekom, Vodafone, O2/Telefonica) need to talk to Nokia? Are you sure on this- I mean, I see that you are very familiar with the topic and helped a lot of people also with the OnePlus. There, i guess (as far i understood) you need to activate some kind of "unusal profile" for India right and this works than for the OnePlus, right? And i guess some kind of fixing is possible also for the Nokia 7 plus if you have root access, or?
And this means that the manufacturers need to update their FW, cause the information should be available what is needed and which modem profile needs to be used, or is there a special kind of certification to use VoLTE on UE´s in different networks, then "damn on the specification"?
But does this then also bring me to the point, that all the mobile manufacturers will have similar problems with the VoLTE activation if they won´t speak with the providers or vice versa, right?

Thx&br

Yes. For Nokia phones you also need another IMS Profile. Since Nokia doesn‘t allow access to the EFS partition you need root to change the profile. The India Profile works on OP phones here in Germany since it uses the same login data. Like all Profiles are already on every phone. The providers need to talk to Nokia so that the phone switches the profile if it detects e.g. a Vodafone Germany SIM.

Right all manufactures have the same problems right now (since there‘s no API from Google, iOS has one).

neo920768

Apr 4, 2007
Hi and thx, but Is there really no API?
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/ims
Furthermore i´m still wondering why other manufacturers, which are not listed e.g. on the providerlist are able to use VoLTE and therefore the IMS registration. E.g. Xiaomi, Motorola, Elephone. I used different kind of mobiles the last years since i´m able to use VoLTE in German Telekom network. I´m talking about the mentioned, Xiaomi, Motorola, Blackberry, Elephone, ...
What do they have, which the Nokia doesn´t have? The configured IMS APN, at least not in the APN list or configuration in the mobile which is administrative by the user, is the same as in every mobile, but they are all possible to register in IMS and use VoLTE.
Hence i checked specification and message flow again and i see that mobile must tell the Core network that it is VoLTE capable and if the EPS Bearer is established, the mobile needs to establish 2nd Bearer for VoLTE (QCI5). After the 2nd Bearer is established the registration to "well known" IMS APN could be used for IMS registration. And even there is a preconfigured profile for the providers used in the mobiles, why did Nokia not implement these profiles?
The German providers are listed a very long time now in GSMA database for VoLTE possibility- so i´m wondering who is waiting for what?
Do i misunderstand the specification or why does the provider need to talk to Nokia? Where did you get this information? Is there any useful reference?
Thx&br

Thx&br

felixkruemel

Jul 9, 2018
Hi and thx, but Is there really no API?
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/ims
Furthermore i´m still wondering why other manufacturers, which are not listed e.g. on the providerlist are able to use VoLTE and therefore the IMS registration. E.g. Xiaomi, Motorola, Elephone. I used different kind of mobiles the last years since i´m able to use VoLTE in German Telekom network. I´m talking about the mentioned, Xiaomi, Motorola, Blackberry, Elephone, ...
What do they have, which the Nokia doesn´t have? The configured IMS APN, at least not in the APN list or configuration in the mobile which is administrative by the user, is the same as in every mobile, but they are all possible to register in IMS and use VoLTE.
Hence i checked specification and message flow again and i see that mobile must tell the Core network that it is VoLTE capable and if the EPS Bearer is established, the mobile needs to establish 2nd Bearer for VoLTE (QCI5). After the 2nd Bearer is established the registration to "well known" IMS APN could be used for IMS registration. And even there is a preconfigured profile for the providers used in the mobiles, why did Nokia not implement these profiles?
The German providers are listed a very long time now in GSMA database for VoLTE possibility- so i´m wondering who is waiting for what?
Do i misunderstand the specification or why does the provider need to talk to Nokia? Where did you get this information? Is there any useful reference?
Thx&br

Thx&br

As far as I know these devices have the correct profile for the IMS since it‘s used on another network already. If you look in any smartphones EFS you will see around 5-7profiles. Most of the european carriers are using the same one so if an device already has the right profile selected it also will be able to connect to other carriers IMS.

The API above is only for an provider App, which is possible to implement easily like an APN. That solution is for RCS only not for the other IMS related things like VoLTE. (That‘s the reason why RCS already works on every device with the right app from the carrier).

DasChillum

Sep 8, 2016
The VoLTE area in general seems to be full of misinformation and half-truths.

Yesterday I was very surprised to find out that the Nokia 3.1 gets VoLTE/VoWifi on O2 Germany (Tchibo) without any tinkering. Does anybody know why/how it would work with the 3.1 but not the 7.1?

Reactions: faeArai

leaskovski

Mar 31, 2006
So for giggles I asked Nokia support if the phone supports WiFi calling, and support said no. They said it would be enabled in a future security update.

Oh really....

Low21

Mar 28, 2010
Anything new you heard about this Topic?
I asked Nokia two weeks ago… they are working on continiously enhancing the user experience… I'm curious...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have APN for your carrier with IMS settings?

Hi,

unfortunately not. But it seems to be possible to enable it for every carrier using the Qualcomm tool as described here:

1. *#800# eingeben und dann auf "oneplus Logkit" --> "Function Switch" --> "VoLTE switch" oder "VoWiFi switch" anwählen.
    Wenn es nicht verfügbar ist, dann bitte "dump switch" anwählen.
    Danach Gerät Neustarten und in den "Einstellungen" unter "SIM & Netzwerk" "VoLTE und WiFi-Calling" anwählen.
    2. Ihr geht an eurem Computer und installiert beides.
    Qualcomm QPST Diag x64 Treiber
    QPST_2.7.474
    Wichtig: Es dürfen keine andere Qualcomm Treiber auf dem Computer laufen, bitte vorher deaktivieren, sonst gibt es Fehlermeldungen!
    3. Jetzt verbindet ihr euer Handy mit dem Computer über ein "USB-Kabel".
    4. Öffnet die Telefon App und gibt diesen Code *#801# ein.
    5. Jetzt erscheint ein neues Menü und schaltet "Serial" und "Full-port switch" ein.
    6. Jetzt startet ihr das Programm: "PDC" und verbindet es mit eurem Gerät
    7. Auf "Oversea-Commercial_DS" rechtsklick dann unter "Deactivate" "Sub0" und "Sub1" anwählen.
    8. Jetzt wieder auf "Oversea-Commercial_DS" und unten auf Remove drücken.
    Vodafone: H3G_Denmark_Commercial
    Telekom/o2: Commercial-DT-VOLTE
    9. Wählt jetzt "Commercial-DT-VOLTE oder H3G_Denmark_Commercial" aus, rechtsklick und auf "SetSelectedConfig" "Sub0" und "Sub1" anwählen.
    10. Jetzt wieder auf "Commercial-DT-VOLTE oder H3G_Denmark_Commercial" und unten auf Activate drücken.
    11. Nachdem ihr alles gemacht habt, macht ihr ein Neustart des Gerätes!
    12. Das "VoLTE oder VoWiFi Logo" müsste jetzt in der ausgeklappten Statusleiste zu sehen sein.

Unfortunately this is for OnePlus and I don't get it to work for my Nokia 7 plus.

If somebody could provide a dummy step by step for Nokia I think this would make a lot of people very very happy.

JohnnyT76
    It works without problems. ... Just do it ;)
    Bit of an overstatement. *#800# or *#801# doesn't work on Nokia.
    And even the equivalent *#*#2684#*#* doesn't for me. So I get stuck at 4/5 because I can't access Engineering Mode.

If we count "oneplus Logkit" in step 1, I get stuck in step 1.

I look forward to it
    [email protected]

Somebody claims to be able to enable VoLTE/ WIFI Calling for all devices on German Telekom using this instructions for OnePlus: [...].

Unfortunately I can't get this to work for my Nokia 7 plus. Anybody in a position to support?

thanx&greetz,

JohnnyT
    Having searched a bit more on the topic, I think the situation is this: To use the software from the original thread, you need to enable "Qualcomm Diagnostic Mode". Which if you are running Android Pie as I am, you cannot do without rooting your device.

If you are still on oreo, you might want to try that setprop command of @felixkruemel
    The VoLTE area in general seems to be full of misinformation and half-truths.

Yesterday I was very surprised to find out that the Nokia 3.1 gets VoLTE/VoWifi on O2 Germany (Tchibo) without any tinkering. Does anybody know why/how it would work with the 3.1 but not the 7.1?