Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Ad blocker for Windows 10 Mobile

wp_ss_20170710_0005.png wp_ss_20170710_0007.png wp_ss_20170710_0008.png wp_ss_20170710_0011.png

Disclaimer:

Please note: you are installing and using this app solely at your own risk; author does not take responsibility for any possible damage of the phone caused by the app. If you don't agree with this statement, please don't install the app!

Simple and intuitive ad blocker for interop-unlocked Windows 10 Mobile handsets.

You can edit HOSTS file sources, and use your own list of hosts to be blocked.

App also apply filtering and sorting to resulting HOSTS file to avoid duplicates.

Installation as usual (don't forget to install dependencies if you sideloading for a first time). You don't need to install app's certificate 'cause package is already signed by my own code signing certificate.

Please, note: large HOSTS file (created by the app's default settings) may affect to the WiFi Internet connection timing - you may have "No internet connection" status for a minute or two.

History
1.2: fixed some bugs, added import HOSTS from file
1.1: "white list" added, also added ability to copy host name from list
1.0: initial release

Just note: I DON'T TRUST any newbie here anymore! If you "don't know how to make and send a screenshot", send me a name you've left a good review of my extension. Only after it's appear in Chrome Web store,
I'll send you a link!

Last edited by a moderator:

dxdy

Apr 17, 2008
www.red-gsm.net
Nokia Lumia 920
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
not related to app, just observation to hosts lists

seems too much adblocking data cause problem in loading some apps, need more time to load .... if anyone want try with 9Zen Store app how fast load apps info from store

edit 2:
also myAppFree opening app in store is blocked with filter clkde.tradedoubler.com

Last edited:
Reactions: sensboston

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
@dxdy, it's not a big problem, I can easily add a new "white list" settings page. Could you please provide me a host list to exclude from HOSTS blocking?

Thanks!

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Ads blocking lists are region/country specific so your good list may be not good enough for the others. Many people are using blocking HOSTS file not just for in-app ads but for blocking ads in browsers too.

I'm asking you to help me with another list (of course if you have time for that): "white list" of the sites important for Windows Phone apps and services (and should be excluded from the HOSTS file). I already implemented (took 10 minutes) "white list" feature. Now I want to provide some default "white list" (for example, I already included clkde.tradedoubler.com to this list - it means, this site will be excluded from the HOSTS file and site will be not blocked)

Last edited:

Nightsteed

Jul 24, 2016
Hi. I tried you app and it was working well, but suddenly I can't navigate the web anymore using either Wi-Fi (shows as "No Internet") or mobile data. Also, I can't revert the host file to default. I'm using a 950. Could you help me?

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Also, I can't revert the host file to default. I'm using a 950. Could you help me?
Have you read OP? (I already put statement about large HOSTS)
Have you tried to press "Revert HOSTS file" button? What's the app output (log messages on the "home" page)?

P.S. I don't actually know, man, everything is working fine on my tests. Try to ssh to your L-950 and copy/delete/modify hosts file by standard cmd.exe commands.

Nightsteed

Jul 24, 2016
Did you make Interop unlock for x50 series with vcREG?

Have you read OP? (I already put statement about large HOSTS)
Have you tried to press "Revert HOSTS file" button? What's the app output (log messages on the "home" page)?

P.S. I don't actually know, man, everything is working fine on my tests. Try to ssh to your L-950 and copy/delete/modify hosts file by standard cmd.exe commands.

Of course I've read the OP. When I press "Revert HOSTS file" the message saying it has been reverted appears, but the hist file remains the same. Might try connecting via SSH

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
When I press "Revert HOSTS file" the message saying it has been reverted appears, but the hist file remains the same.

Hmm, it's a really strange. Probably, your HOSTS file is locked somehow (but I have no idea how it's possible). "Revert back" function does nothing than copy default hosts file (shipped with the app) back to "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc" so if "Update hosts" button worked fine, I don't know why the another copying doesn't work.

Could you tell me please what else you did with the phone and HOSTS file after applying update from my app?

Last edited:

oelapoel

Apr 29, 2006
Hello sensboston

this is the app i have been waiting for.. So basically this will work with lumia 950 XL interop unlocked using X50 vcreg?

How do you get access into system file since I thought its not possible for lumia 950 / 950 XL?

edit: my real question is whether it is possible to simply overwrite the original hosts with my own without installing any app :)

Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
@der_Kief, first, revert HOSTS file back to default, than remove first line in the "HOSTS sources", and apply blocking again, and you'll get back your WiFi time ;)

As mentioned in the OP, HOSTS file from the very first source is extremely large (but it blocks a lot of ads). BTW, you may provide your own HOSTS source file, specific for Germany (use google to find and obtain one).

Reactions: der_Kief

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Thanks, @der_Kief, for sharing your find! Will be good if customers from the other countries will share their country-specific HOSTS here (and I can add these links to the OP).

oelapoel

Apr 29, 2006
Hmm I dont really see any difference with wifi loading times, none that I could notice anyway.. is it everytime you load?

sensboston, do you know why list from this website cannot be fed into your app?
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

I forgot the exact message but it just cannot import the list into the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ad blocker for Windows 10 Mobile

wp_ss_20170710_0005.png wp_ss_20170710_0007.png wp_ss_20170710_0008.png wp_ss_20170710_0011.png

Disclaimer:

Please note: you are installing and using this app solely at your own risk; author does not take responsibility for any possible damage of the phone caused by the app. If you don't agree with this statement, please don't install the app!

Simple and intuitive ad blocker for interop-unlocked Windows 10 Mobile handsets.

You can edit HOSTS file sources, and use your own list of hosts to be blocked.

App also apply filtering and sorting to resulting HOSTS file to avoid duplicates.

Installation as usual (don't forget to install dependencies if you sideloading for a first time). You don't need to install app's certificate 'cause package is already signed by my own code signing certificate.

Please, note: large HOSTS file (created by the app's default settings) may affect to the WiFi Internet connection timing - you may have "No internet connection" status for a minute or two.

History
    1.2: fixed some bugs, added import HOSTS from file
    1.1: "white list" added, also added ability to copy host name from list
    1.0: initial release

Just note: I DON'T TRUST any newbie here anymore! If you "don't know how to make and send a screenshot", send me a name you've left a good review of my extension. Only after it's appear in Chrome Web store,
    I'll send you a link!
    excellent work (as always)

here my addition for blocking, some blocking info for W10M apps

Use Black list to import txt list
    OK, I fixed this bug (actually, it wasn't a bug but lack of some HTTP headers ;) ); also added ability to import HOSTS from file on the phone storage or sd-card.

I also changed web sources: added http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt as a primary site (looks like it's well maintained source), and commented huge one, to exclude by default (yes, you may disable web source by commenting instead of deletion).

P.S. Hey, guys, please check "About" page; even if you don't want to donate a buck or two (BTW, for all time I received... $0 donations :D ), at least you may download, install and rate my apps from the store, it will not cost you even a penny!
    not related to app, just observation to hosts lists

seems too much adblocking data cause problem in loading some apps, need more time to load .... if anyone want try with 9Zen Store app how fast load apps info from store

edit 2:
    also myAppFree opening app in store is blocked with filter clkde.tradedoubler.com
    @der_Kief, first, revert HOSTS file back to default, than remove first line in the "HOSTS sources", and apply blocking again, and you'll get back your WiFi time ;)

As mentioned in the OP, HOSTS file from the very first source is extremely large (but it blocks a lot of ads). BTW, you may provide your own HOSTS source file, specific for Germany (use google to find and obtain one).