• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Ad Blocker that actually works wanted....

Search This thread

tdvolland

Feb 23, 2015
On my old phone android 5.1.1 blokada worked really well, basically not a single ad.
Now, with new android and new blokada, I have permanent ads all over the place and I am continuosly harrased by other "free" functions blokada installs without asking .
I can not even switch their vpn off!

What is the best ad blocker now?
I mean an adblocker, that will block ads, and that is it. If I want anything else, I will look for it.

I do NOT mean an ad blocker that works with the browser. I basically never use the browser on the phone. I am talking about ads from apps..

Thank You

Last edited:

droi1

Sep 7, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S4
This sounds odd, im using blokada 5 with default Block lists this App does not install additional Apps at all. Make sure to download from Official Site blokada.org also don't use the downgraded Slim Version. U add more Block Lists in Settings when default not enough.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
On my old phone android 5.1.1 blokada worked really well, basically not a single ad.
Now, with new android and new blokada, I have permanent ads all over the place and I am continuosly harrased by other "free" functions blokada installs without asking .

I mean an adblocker, that will block ads, and that is it. If I want anything else, I will look for it.

I do NOT mean an ad blocker that works with the browser. I basically never use the browser on the phone. I am talking about ads from apps..

Thank You

I use the adguard DNS servers - https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

tdvolland

Feb 23, 2015
This sounds odd, im using blokada 5 with default Block lists this App does not install additional Apps at all. Make sure to download from Official Site blokada.org also don't use the downgraded Slim Version. U add more Block Lists in Settings when default not enough.
Thank you but I never said it installs other apps. When the isntalled apps are used THEY show ads...
Sorry if I was unclear.

tdvolland

Feb 23, 2015
I use uBlock Origin, Ghostery, and Privacy Badger in my browser.
AdAway at the device level.
piHole at the Network level.
Thank you. On this desktop I also use the really great uBlock Origin, but is no help my phone.
Adaway needs root, and for some strange reason Technolobe's instructions on YouTube will not work on my Redme9T
AdAway is free. No harm in trying it.
I sugget you visit their website?

TheDoctor46

Jan 28, 2021

Thank You
Why don't you use Blokada 4. I use it and it works well for me. Just sometimes after switching on the device it keeps on saying 'please wait' but after switching off the vpn and switching on again it works perfectly.

tdvolland

Feb 23, 2015
Why don't you use Blokada 4. I use it and it works well for me. Just sometimes after switching on the device it keeps on saying 'please wait' but after switching off the vpn and switching on again it works perfectly.
Todey's "quality" of Blokada is why I asked this question. But of course in one sense you are correct. In Android 5.1.1 it worked perfectly, in Androids 10, 11, 12 it no longer does.
Actually I do not know, if it is Android, it might be the MIUI.
I can see the "progress" the updates deliver in so many places... My Camera f.e. demands access to the microphone when I want to take pictures! It will not let me take photographs without access to the mic....
I have become such a fan of how digitalisation has made this world so much better and more intelligent. :)

tdvolland

Feb 23, 2015
Thanks, Under "Modify Network" the phone only offers to switch between "Use randomised MAC" and "Use device MAC", the latter is set as default

After a while of trying out I managed to get to the DNS servers, where I saw that DNS1 is my IP adress and DNS2 is 8.8.4.4
In adguard's instructions it mentions two values, 94.140.14.14, 94.140.15.15, but it does not say if I use one of those in both or if the first one is DNS1 aand the other one is DNS2....?

Also: My phone is set to: Data only via WIFI, never through SIM. The ads I am talking about usually appear without the WIFI switched on and cannot come in via simcard. They appear f.e. on the HF Onkyo Flac Music player, which is the identical version and installation as on my old Android 5.1.1 phone, where NO ads appear...
But I will try the DNS change, if you tell me which one to put into 1 and into 2...

Last edited:

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks, Under "Modify Network" the phone only offers to switch between "Use randomised MAC" and "Use device MAC", the latter is set as default

After a while of trying out I managed to get to the DNS servers, where I saw that DNS1 is my IP adress and DNS2 is 8.8.4.4
In adguard's instructions it mentions two values, 94.140.14.14, 94.140.15.15, but it does not say if I use one of those in both or if the first one is DNS1 aand the other one is DNS2....?

Also: My phone is set to: Data only via WIFI, never through SIM. The ads I am talking about usually appear without the WIFI switched on and cannot come in via simcard. They appear f.e. on the HF Onkyo Flac Music player, which is the identical version and installation as on my old Android 5.1.1 phone, where NO ads appear...
But I will try the DNS change, if you tell me which one to put into 1 and into 2...

Use 94.140.14.14 in DNS1 and 94.140.15.15 in DNS2. It is unusual to have your IP in a DNS setting.

The ads are probably cached on your phone. You may need to clear both DNS cache and the app cache after updating DNS. Turning WiFi off and on may clear the DNS cache, if you can find no other way to clear it.

tdvolland

Feb 23, 2015
Use 94.140.14.14 in DNS1 and 94.140.15.15 in DNS2. It is unusual to have your IP in a DNS setting.

The ads are probably cached on your phone. You may need to clear both DNS cache and the app cache after updating DNS. Turning WiFi off and on may clear the DNS cache, if you can find no other way to clear it.
Thank you, did that. Will let you know, how its working....

tdvolland

Feb 23, 2015
Thank you, did that. Will let you know, how its working....

Well. I am afraid it did not work.
Everything has been reset after the phone re-start. Static is back to dynamic IP and the Ips are back to the old ones...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank You

I use the adguard DNS servers - https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html
    I use uBlock Origin, Ghostery, and Privacy Badger in my browser.
    AdAway at the device level.
    piHole at the Network level.
    AdGuard is the most advanced adblocker. I have been using it for a couple of years now, on both my Android phone and Win10 laptop.

It works also in apps, and is highly configurable. It costs money, but is worth it.

For the moment it has been blocked on Google Playstore, but it can easily be downloaded as an APK from the internet.
    If your phone is rooted, install AdAway. It's the simplest & easiest solution. AdAway also includes a VPN based ad blocker option (which I have not used) which may also work on non-rooted phones.

Blockada is a VPN based ad blocking solution. These work by creating a 'local VPN' server on your phone (used to be a 'key' icon appears in the status bar) with filter lists to block ad server IP addresses. Then all your phone network traffic goes 'through' the local VPN on your phone and because of the filter lists, ads get blocked. So Blockada depends on creating a local VPN on your phone through which all internet traffic must pass in order to be filtered of ads. If you switch off the VPN or use an app that is able to circumvent the VPN created by Blockada on your phone, then ads won't be filtered.

I believe AdGuard is also a VPN based solution, although the 'ad blocking VPN' is at their end, not on your phone. Hence you have to pay them for the service. I believe it works very well, but obviously costs money.

Changing DNS servers is not really going to help you block in-app ads. It might help with some web browser ads, but in general, it's not worth fiddling with your DNS server IP addresses.

The DNS servers your phone uses on WiFi, are handed out by your WiFi router. And your router in turn gets the DNS IP addresses from your ISP. You can configure most routers to hand out different DNS IP addresses rather than those your ISP wants you to use. You can use Google DNS IPs, Cloudflare, OpenDNS etc etc. They may help speed up your internet lookups & may block some ads (try OpenDNS).

Network based ad blockers such as Pihole (can run on a £10 Raspberry Pi Zero) can be set up on your local home WiFi network and it can help to block ads on your WHOLE network, not just on your phone. However, it's not exactly 'childs-play' to set up.

My recommendations:
    1) if rooted, used the root based ad blocker in AdAway
    2) if not rooted, try the VPN based ad blocker in AdAway
    3) use Blockada but do not mess with trying to switch off VPN stuff - that's how Blockada works & it needs it!
    4) if IT knowledgeable, set up Pihole on your network
    5) if none of the above, pay for AdGuard
    6) if you don't want to pay, live with the intrusive ads