Ad-Hoc Wifi on Acer A500 Tablet (Honeycomb)

Search This thread

aflan

Jan 16, 2008
Last edited:
Reactions: Shrike9

Shrike9

May 10, 2011
Thanks for pointing out the thread that worked on your A500. I am going to try it this week. I'm also new at this and have been able to root and do a few other things thanks to everybody that posts the great walk-throughs here.

Shrike9

May 10, 2011
I got adhoc working on my A500 also (tethering to a jailbroken iphone with PDANet). I was running into issues trying to run the ADB REMOUNT command, with the error "Operation Not Permitted" being returned. There is probably a more skilled & elegant way do do this, but I modified the instructions I found here:

You need to turn on Airplane mode to disable wifi, or you will get an error when trying to copy the wpa_supplicant file with ADB PUSH later on in the instructions...

adb shell
# su
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant (Or any subdirectory you want to push to inside system)
# exit
adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant <local path on your computer> (this is to backup your original file in case you have to restore it)
adb push <local file> <device location>
and eventually you should restore the original directory permissions by going back into the shell:
# chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant (Or any subdirectory you modified permissions to)

Now turn off Airplane Mode, and give it a test.

Last edited:

richi chen

Feb 18, 2011
I also got adhoc wifi working on my A500 too by manually update wpa_supplicant via Root Explorer since the Acer new OTA version Acer_A500_1.126.03_COM_GEN1 still don't fix this issue.

Wes90

May 10, 2011
I accidentally did it without turning the wifi off, now wifi doesn't work. Is there a way to recover it?

Last edited:

Shrike9

May 10, 2011
That's weird, it wouldn't even let me overwrite the file unless airplane mode was on (disabled wifi). If you made a backup copy of the file, just restore it. If you didn't, here's my original backup (which is not modified)....be sure to unzip it first before using it though.

Attachments

• wpa_supplicant.zip
    149.4 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:

Wes90

May 10, 2011
That's weird, it wouldn't even let me overwrite the file unless airplane mode was on (disabled wifi). If you made a backup copy of the file, just restore it. If you didn't, here's my backup....be sure to unzip it first before using it though.

Nothing, still get the same error, i think something happened in some other files because it was connected when i changed the file. Any idea of what could it be?

Shrike9

May 10, 2011
What error are you getting? I would also try rebooting your tablet. I am, unfortunately, no expert at this...I've only had exposure to honeycomb for 5-6 days now. So, I'll have to defer to all the experts in the forum.

Wes90

May 10, 2011
I even tried a factory data reset but still get the same error, it just doesn't connect.

NDMerritt

Apr 13, 2010
A500 rooted/recognizing wifi, but pages don't load

I followed the steps: rooted my A500, uploaded the wpa_supplicant file, changed the permissions. I use WMWifiRouter on my HTC HD2 phone. Now, my A500 recognizes the ad hoc wifi and connects, but the browser fails to download any pages. My Acer netbook (Windows) works fine using the same connection. The A500 has Dolphin, Firefox, and pre-loaded browser - none of them will download pages. Also, the A500 browsers work fine on my home wifi and other wifi networks. Just not on the ad hoc wifi. Any ideas?

Last edited:

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
Damn, it took me hours to stumble upon this thread, but thank god I did! Now I finally have ad-hoc wifi working, though I couldn't follow the instructions: adb just kept complaining about device not present error. Had to do it another way.

grade

Jan 30, 2009
Dear Sir

I have same problem with you.
My cell phone is HTC tough diamond and the soft is Windows Mobile 6.1.
My A500 can link with my cell phone but can't run browsers neither internet.
How do you conquer this problem? Can you share it?

pingram3541

Jan 28, 2011
Pretty sure your issue is with permissions.

I used a terminal app and entered the following for permissions w/ wifi disabled:

su root
chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Reboot and try again.

Tom in AZ

Jul 24, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.TeamTEOR.com
I so want to do this, as I could really use a WiFi AdHoc connection, but do not want to brick my WiFi. Are there a few other people who can confirm this as working?
I am using Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2. Thanks

Sparagnaus

Jun 17, 2008
I followed the steps: rooted my A500, uploaded the wpa_supplicant file, changed the permissions. I use WMWifiRouter on my HTC HD2 phone. Now, my A500 recognizes the ad hoc wifi and connects, but the browser fails to download any pages. My Acer netbook (Windows) works fine using the same connection. The A500 has Dolphin, Firefox, and pre-loaded browser - none of them will download pages. Also, the A500 browsers work fine on my home wifi and other wifi networks. Just not on the ad hoc wifi. Any ideas?

I have the same problem. Someone did it fix? :(

jimmyzshack

Nov 21, 2011
This worked for me using root explorer. Thanks for the post, I was getting a little mad that the ipad could see my phone but the a500 wouldn't see it.

Top Liked Posts