• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Adaptive Connectivity

Search This thread

Guyinlaca

Sep 13, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
By default, the Adaptive Connectivity option is on to sense and handoff between connections to supposedly improve battery life. That said, I've noticed with the feature on, the Pixel 6 Pro stays on LTE, instead of 5G a lot more often than Samsung devices. I also noticed that Wi-Fi signal would trail off a bit when not actively in use (maybe a low power sleep mode?). I'm testing it with that feature turned off now to see if it makes much difference. Granted, 5G quality varies heavily, so there are times when 4G would be better. What are your experiences with this feature?

Battery life has been outstanding on the Pixel 6 Pro by the way.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It's going to be somewhat subjective people's carrier and location. I'm in Tampa on T-Mobile and pretty much 5G everywhere with and okay amount of 5G UC.

There's lots of discussion that turning off adaptive connectivity would help people's battery life especially in poor 5G reception areas.

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
I'm wondering if this "adaptive connectivity" setting also sends the network to sleep altogether when the device is idle long enough. I've lately had issues with some smart home app (smartlife/tuya) not executing scheduled tasks while the phone is idle. The app itself reports to check the network, which is always fine when i do (when the device is awake). That got me to check all the power and network related controls and this adaptive connectivity is the only really new control where Google also doesn't give any insight on how it actually works. It would be helpful to get an idea of that. Just there's basically no real information on the net.

Oh and besides, i feel the battery life of the Pixel 6 pro is pretty lame actually. I guess that also pretty much depends on network availability - i work in a rural area where the network isn't great (Mobile and WiFi both not great). As long as the device is off, battery drops at an acceptable, yet not great rate. But when i activate the phone, already the screen burns down the battery so fast it's annoying me (I've already set it to 60Hz permanently). Videos, navigating, even music - all that really chews away capacity really fast. That's one reason I'd rather keep Adaptive Connectivity on. I don't want even more drain.

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm wondering if this "adaptive connectivity" setting also sends the network to sleep altogether when the device is idle long enough. I've lately had issues with some smart home app (smartlife/tuya) not executing scheduled tasks while the phone is idle. The app itself reports to check the network, which is always fine when i do (when the device is awake). That got me to check all the power and network related controls and this adaptive connectivity is the only really new control where Google also doesn't give any insight on how it actually works. It would be helpful to get an idea of that. Just there's basically no real information on the net.

Oh and besides, i feel the battery life of the Pixel 6 pro is pretty lame actually. I guess that also pretty much depends on network availability - i work in a rural area where the network isn't great (Mobile and WiFi both not great). As long as the device is off, battery drops at an acceptable, yet not great rate. But when i activate the phone, already the screen burns down the battery so fast it's annoying me (I've already set it to 60Hz permanently). Videos, navigating, even music - all that really chews away capacity really fast. That's one reason I'd rather keep Adaptive Connectivity on. I don't want even more drain.

My 6 pro lasts me pretty much the entire day with heavy usage. Before I charge it which is at around 9ish, I still have 17% left.

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
this is irrelevant but im comparing my wifi signal to my s21 ultra and it is pretty much the same. Same goes with my network speed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211202-175732.png
    Screenshot_20211202-175732.png
    401.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20211202-175737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211202-175737_Chrome.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 46

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
I played with adaptive connectivity and power and network settings a little more and got my SmartLife/Tuya to execute in background. It wasn't killed by adaptive connectivity, that does not seem to interfere with apps in this way at least. Seems to really rather deal with better handoffs between networks and not much more.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My 6 pro lasts me pretty much the entire day with heavy usage. Before I charge it which is at around 9ish, I still have 17% left.
    this is irrelevant but im comparing my wifi signal to my s21 ultra and it is pretty much the same. Same goes with my network speed
    When I had it on I had lots of issues with the handoff from 5g/LTE and vice versa. Been turned off for the last 3 weeks and I just use LTE as preferred network with no issues. I do some gig work on the side and I can't be caught in the No Data limbo cuz the phone doesn't know what to do.