adb fastboot not seeing device

Search This thread

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro
Sorry for noob question. Searched Searched xda and can't find anything. Pixel3 xl. Stock Android 10. Rooted. Windows 10 with correct drivers so it sees device. Can transfer files easily. USB debugging enabled. ADB and Fastboot do not see device. Used to work but not now. Tried kill-server and start-server in ADB. Tried different cables, restarting phone and computer. No luck. In fastboot mode (on phone) fastboot devices returns nothing. Totally stumped. Can anyone help. Again apologize for noob question but this has always worked before and I've flashed roms as well as stock numerous times with no issues till now. Help!

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro
I think the easy step to determine if it is a phone or computer issue is to at least try from another computer. The one thing that did just occur to me would be to make sure you are using an A>C USB cable and A port and not a C>C with a C port. The Pixel series has tons of problems with C>C.
Thanks. Don't have another windows computer to try on. Do have an old Mac and it works on that, just not my windows laptop which is what I use. I have no idea what's making this happen. Computer sees the phone just fine.

sliding_billy

Apr 23, 2012
North Texas
Google Pixel 3
Thanks. Don't have another windows computer to try on. Do have an old Mac and it works on that, just not my windows laptop which is what I use. I have no idea what's making this happen. Computer sees the phone just fine.

To my previous comment, are you using an A>C cable or the C>C that comes with the phone/charger? Besides that, it still sounds like it could be a driver issue where it is recognizing the phone as a generic USB storage device.

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro
To my previous comment, are you using an A>C cable or the C>C that comes with the phone/charger? Besides that, it still sounds like it could be a driver issue where it is recognizing the phone as a generic USB storage device.
I'm using an A-C cable. Same that I used before when it worked. I thought it might be a device driver too but when I plug the phone in the computer immediately sees it and if I open device manager the phone is seen as an android device.

sliding_billy

Apr 23, 2012
North Texas
Google Pixel 3
I'm using an A-C cable. Same that I used before when it worked. I thought it might be a device driver too but when I plug the phone in the computer immediately sees it and if I open device manager the phone is seen as an android device.

OK, thanks. One thing I can think to do is delete the driver, reboot the phone and computer and then plug in and start over. Make sure to use the Google device driver from the developer page.

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro
OK, thanks. One thing I can think to do is delete the driver, reboot the phone and computer and then plug in and start over. Make sure to use the Google device driver from the developer page.
Believe it or not I already did that. I've tried everything with no luck. As I mentioned I was always able to use it before with no problems then this started when I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows.

sliding_billy

Apr 23, 2012
North Texas
Google Pixel 3
Believe it or not I already did that. I've tried everything with no luck. As I mentioned I was always able to use it before with no problems then this started when I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows.

just for the heck of it, do you have other cables. Stranger things have happened that made a difference, and the next suggestion involves reinstalling computer and/or phone. Maybe a live USB Ubuntu disk to see what is working and what is not.

Daisymae

Mar 4, 2014
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 8 Pro
Do a search for fastboot, if you find more than one delete the one that is not in your Platform-tools folder.
Did you give fastboot execute permission?
Only one instance of fastboot. Not sure what you mean execute
permissions. You mean on Windows or on the device? Windows has execute permissions. I don't have adb or fastboot on the device.

Last edited: