"adb server didn't ack * failed to start daemon" Help!

Search This thread

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
Originally Posted by nicbennett
*Daemon not running, starting it now on port 5037*(this does successfully start the adb.exe process)
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error: cannot connect to daemon*

Originally Posted by snovvman

W7/64.

ADB worked for me for months. I used it regularly. The last thing I did was *trying* to use Wireless ADB Widget and issueing ADB TCPIP command. I have made no changes to the system.

The error occurs when no device device connected. Same error when device IS connected.

-Downloaded ADB/SDK again to a different directory, same error
-Updated USB driver and SDK components, same error
-Disabled all firewall/anti-malware/anti-virus, same error
-Rebooted multiple times, same error off boot
-Port 5037 is not bound by any app or process
-ADB, upon failed load, is not listed in Taskmgr, nothing to kill
-Deleted temp files
-Issued at prompt: ADB Disconnect, ADB USB, ADB devices: All return same error as above
-Issued at prompt: ADB kill-server, only prompt returns

Read lots of posts on the web, nothing helps.

I am really interested in a solution and would like to understand what is causing the problem. If in fact it is a configuration issue, where is the ADB config file?

Thanks.

Edit: I am running the command prompt as an administrator.

I originally added my post to this thread in the Nook forum. I don't think there is enough expertise in that forum to help with this problem.

The bottom line is that ADB no longer works and I can't figure out why (see quoted text above). I would imagine that someone here would have an answer for this. Please help!

Thanks.

Reactions: alireza21

#Winning#

May 20, 2010
ICT, Kansas
In this case, ADB never starts. It does not work even after a fresh reboot. It is not found in Taskmgr nor Process Explorer.

Is what he meant was to kill any process that is using adb. This is not only a process that is Android related etc. My buddy had your exact same problem because he had his external hd connected to his computer before trying to run adb. Restarting and killing processes that were using adb on his computer did the trick. Hope this helps!

Reactions: lorcopotia
My problem was Windows

The error occurs when no device device connected. Same error when device IS connected.
. . .
I am really interested in a solution and would like to understand what is causing the problem.

In my case, the problem was Windows Vista. From day one, Windows refused to successfully install the USB drivers for the EVO (with the very helpful diagnostic message: "Windows encountered an error installing..."). I have never been able to use adb, and this meant that all the rooting (and update/upgrade) guides that required adb had to be adapted to getting the file(s) onto the SD card, and then using Terminal Emulator (or similar app) to get the job done.

I've just completed a disk-wipe-and-reinstall of Windows on my laptop, and hope to find the time next week to install all the SDK goodies and make sure that the USB subsystem recognizes my EVO. I'm fed up with not being able to use adb, and that, along with Windows Update failing to install over a dozen security patches, finally pushed me over the edge into a re-install. Auuugh! The pain!

Reactions: lorcopotia

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
Is what he meant was to kill any process that is using adb. This is not only a process that is Android related etc. My buddy had your exact same problem because he had his external hd connected to his computer before trying to run adb. Restarting and killing processes that were using adb on his computer did the trick. Hope this helps!

Interesting, but I haven't been able to find any other service that is bound to adb and I have no other USB devices connected. Thanks for chiming in though.

In my case, the problem was Windows Vista. From day one, Windows refused to successfully install the USB drivers for the EVO (with the very helpful diagnostic message: "Windows encountered an error installing..."). I have never been able to use adb, and this meant that all the rooting (and update/upgrade) guides that required adb had to be adapted to getting the file(s) onto the SD card, and then using Terminal Emulator (or similar app) to get the job done.

I've just completed a disk-wipe-and-reinstall of Windows on my laptop, and hope to find the time next week to install all the SDK goodies and make sure that the USB subsystem recognizes my EVO. I'm fed up with not being able to use adb, and that, along with Windows Update failing to install over a dozen security patches, finally pushed me over the edge into a re-install. Auuugh! The pain!

For me, I have been able to get two Vista and one Windows 7 computer to work with ADB and HTC drivers the first time. I also have an Epic, and the Samsung drivers installed fine as well (even though they are known to have issues).

Unfortunately, ADB just "broke" one day.

I keep thinking that the Evo community has enough brains and knowledge to sort this out quickly...

lovethyEVO

Sep 1, 2010
Schofield Barracks
Have you updated the sdk recently?

The updated sdk moves the adb files from the tools folder to another folder called platform-tools.

I have adb working properly on both my vista machine and my ubuntu machine hosted on my vista machine.

If you have installed htc sync before uninstall it and the htc driver installer.

Redownload htc sync and the adb files (adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll is all you need). Since adb was working correctly before I'm assuming your java is installed correctly as well.

Reinstall htc sync. When that finishes I suggest a reboot. When you've rebooted uninstall htc sync but leave the htc driver installer. Reboot again.

When you've rebooted again enable usb debugging on your device and connect it to your pc choosing charge only.

This should hopefully reinstall the usb drivers correctly. On vista it installs as adb device or something along those lines.

If the drivers install correctly you should be able to run adb from the directory your two files are in (desktop for example).

If you want, send me a pm with your gtalk username and I can help you troubleshoot it.

snovvman

Jun 6, 2008
Have you updated the sdk recently?

The updated sdk moves the adb files from the tools folder to another folder called platform-tools.

I have adb working properly on both my vista machine and my ubuntu machine hosted on my vista machine.

If you have installed htc sync before uninstall it and the htc driver installer.

Redownload htc sync and the adb files (adb.exe and adbwinapi.dll is all you need). Since adb was working correctly before I'm assuming your java is installed correctly as well.

Reinstall htc sync. When that finishes I suggest a reboot. When you've rebooted uninstall htc sync but leave the htc driver installer. Reboot again.

When you've rebooted again enable usb debugging on your device and connect it to your pc choosing charge only.

This should hopefully reinstall the usb drivers correctly. On vista it installs as adb device or something along those lines.

If the drivers install correctly you should be able to run adb from the directory your two files are in (desktop for example).

If you want, send me a pm with your gtalk username and I can help you troubleshoot it.

Thanks for replying. I had already updated ADB (in platform-tools) before started having this problem. I had also uninstalled HTC sync (reboot, launch ADB w/o HTC sync, same problem) and reinstalled HTC sync, same problem. I updated Java JVM, no change. I then re-downloaded the SDK to a different directory, no dice.

I usually open a command prompt "as Administrator" and run ADB from the directory. Even with a device disconnected, I get the same error. I test this way because if I issued "ADB devices" and it returns nothing, I know it's working. It appears that ADB doesn't even start to the point to poll for devices.

I have, just for laughs, connected my device (USB debugging/charge only), but no joy.

I won't have much time to poke around more until the weekend. If I don't come up with anything, I will take you up on the gtalk. Thanks again.

Windows Vista just makes it all that much harder to fix things...

. . .
. . .

In my case, I tried all these things and many more (lived with this problem since first getting my EVO on release date in June). No dice, as Windows Vista, once it installs a device driver, doesn't give the user the option to uninstall it (by Microsoft's expressly-stated intent -- a design decision I vehemently disagree with). At least the user could repair such problems in prior versions of Windows by simply uninstalling a device, choosing "yes" to the "remove driver files from the disk" question, and (after the obligatory and ubiquitous Windows reboot) re-connect the USB device. That would start fresh with that device's driver.

I never invested the time to learn how the USB subsystem registers devices and their drivers (in Windows Vista) in order to determine how to manually remove a driver from the Windows Registry adequately that it would treat the device as "new hardware detected" upon the next connection.

Once Windows Vista has scrambled some internals in the database/registry controlling the USB subsystem's driver knowledge, you're toast. Nothing I could find in Microsoft's Knowledge Base nor MSDN shed any light on how to tackle the removal-and-recreation-from-scratch of the USB system configuration.

Microsoft's stock answer was invariably "re-install Windows". Yeah, thanks for that. Windows, even more than 26 years later, is still not a real operating system, and still has bugs dating back to Windows 3.1.

Sigh.

Synfinity

Apr 22, 2012
I accidently figured it out

so i was trying to find my cid number because i was flashing ICS firmware and stuff, and the adb deal in the prompt kept giving me the exact same error, and thus would'nt work. after trying everything (such as: installing drivers, killing the process, restarting my comp, reinstalling adb, etc.) for about an hour and a half, i just stumbled upon a page that was linked to in the ICS flash guide, that had a different adb folder download. this download has an entirely different effect on the command prompt and worked so i could get my cid number and rewrite superCid. here it is:

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=872134&d=1327512033

Download it, click "start here", then treat it like normal

orangeipod1gb

Feb 26, 2014
ADB server din't ACK

Please help....I was trying installing Hellkat 4.4.2 on my kindle fire by following http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2570078

Downloaded all the files and flashed through TWRP and was successful. But after flashing, when it is rebooting it is getting stuck on the hellkat logo and not booting.

If I try to install TWRP again, i am getting error ADB server din't ACK *failed to start daemon*. and ADB status online and boot status unknown.

Please help......

estxdrfyghk

Apr 22, 2021
ADB server din't ACK

Please help....I was trying installing Hellkat 4.4.2 on my kindle fire by following http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2570078

Downloaded all the files and flashed through TWRP and was successful. But after flashing, when it is rebooting it is getting stuck on the hellkat logo and not booting.

If I try to install TWRP again, i am getting error ADB server din't ACK *failed to start daemon*. and ADB status online and boot status unknown.

Please help......
your solution is
netsh advfirewall set currentprofile firewallpolicy allowinbound,allowoutbound

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Only thing I would try it open Task Manager and go to processes and close anything that is adb or adb.exe.
    Check Windows Firewall service.
    In my case I just turned off the Windows Firewall and it started working.

regards
    Gaurav
    Originally Posted by nicbennett
    *Daemon not running, starting it now on port 5037*(this does successfully start the adb.exe process)
    ADB server didn't ACK
    * failed to start daemon *
    error: cannot connect to daemon*

Originally Posted by snovvman

W7/64.

ADB worked for me for months. I used it regularly. The last thing I did was *trying* to use Wireless ADB Widget and issueing ADB TCPIP command. I have made no changes to the system.

-Downloaded ADB/SDK again to a different directory, same error
    -Updated USB driver and SDK components, same error
    -Disabled all firewall/anti-malware/anti-virus, same error
    -Rebooted multiple times, same error off boot
    -Port 5037 is not bound by any app or process
    -ADB, upon failed load, is not listed in Taskmgr, nothing to kill
    -Deleted temp files
    -Issued at prompt: ADB Disconnect, ADB USB, ADB devices: All return same error as above
    -Issued at prompt: ADB kill-server, only prompt returns

Read lots of posts on the web, nothing helps.

I am really interested in a solution and would like to understand what is causing the problem. If in fact it is a configuration issue, where is the ADB config file?

Thanks.

Edit: I am running the command prompt as an administrator.

I originally added my post to this thread in the Nook forum. I don't think there is enough expertise in that forum to help with this problem.

The bottom line is that ADB no longer works and I can't figure out why (see quoted text above). I would imagine that someone here would have an answer for this. Please help!

Thanks.
    In this case, ADB never starts. It does not work even after a fresh reboot. It is not found in Taskmgr nor Process Explorer.

My problem was Windows

. . .
    I am really interested in a solution and would like to understand what is causing the problem.