• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Add custom or replace default ringtones or notification tones. Is it possibile?

Search This thread

Fandaklara1

Sep 1, 2019
Použil jsem správce souborů. Přeposlal jsem melodii k hodinkám, pak jsem je přes správce souborů přesunul na vyzváněcí tóny a poté jsem hodinky restartoval a bylo to tam.

Prototype89

Apr 10, 2017
Použil jsem správce souborů. Přeposlal jsem melodii k hodinkám, pak jsem je přes správce souborů přesunul na vyzváněcí tóny a poté jsem hodinky restartoval a bylo to tam.

That didn't work for me. If I try to move it to the ringtones or notifications folder it won't allow me to move or copy over the file.

Actually it did sort of work. One of two mp3s did appear when I dropped them into the Notifications and Ringtones folder but the other mp3 didn't. It didn't appear straight away but I've no idea what triggers it and why one mp3 worked and the other didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: spart0n

spart0n

Sep 5, 2018
LG G Pad 10.1
Google Pixel 6 Pro
That didn't work for me. If I try to move it to the ringtones or notifications folder it won't allow me to move or copy over the file.

Actually it did sort of work. One of two mp3s did appear when I dropped them into the Notifications and Ringtones folder but the other mp3 didn't. It didn't appear straight away but I've no idea what triggers it and why one mp3 worked and the other didn't.
How did you get the ringtone file on the watch?

Prototype89

Apr 10, 2017

1. I use Samsung Music Player on my phone with a number of playlists that I synced over to my watch through the Wearables app.

2. I then downloaded a File Explorer on my watch from the Google Play app store.

3. I opened the app, browsed through my watch and found a media folder containing all the songs I had synced over. I chose a song I wanted as the ringtone and copied it over to two other folders, one called Notifications and another called Ringtones. These folders were NOT in the Root folder.

I actually copied over several songs but only one appeared as selectable in the Sound menu of my watch. I've no idea why that one song appeared but the other didn't.

4. Also you might need to restart the watch and wait for a while as the song didn't appear straightaway.

Reactions: galaxys

akirainblack

Nov 12, 2004
I can confirm
(1) use the wearables app to transfer the ringtone/notification in MP3 format to the watch.
(2) Then a file explorer to copy the ringtone to internal memory/ringtone and/or the notification to internal memory/notification
(3) Press and hold home button and select power off
(4) Press and hold home button to turn watch back on
(5) wait (even for a little after the watch has finished booting)
They then show up as a ringtone/notification but ONLY on the watch (Galaxy Watch 4 Classic), you can't make the change on the phone as it doesn't see them in the wearables app (or didn't for me anyway).

Last edited:

al czervik

Sep 1, 2010
I can confirm
(1) use the wearables app to transfer the ringtone/notification in MP3 format to the watch.
(2) Then a file explorer to copy the ringtone to internal memory/ringtone and/or the notification to internal memory/notification
They then show up as a ringtone/notification but ONLY on the watch (Galaxy Watch 4 Classic), you can't make the change on the phone as it doesn't see them in the wearables app (or didn't for me anyway).
What file explorer are you using on GW4? I cannot find one that works in Google Play Store. Thanks

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
theres a notification and ringtone folder in the internal partition, but theres also a media folder where the default notifications and ringtones are stored in the root partition as well.
I dont know if you have write permission in the root area though.

I was looking for the hourly tone to see if it could be replaced, but i dont see it in the list of system sounds which it has for things like charge and touch. The watch ticking sound seems to be its own app also.

akirainblack

Nov 12, 2004
@sesnut you don't need to add them to the root partition, just the one mentioned in my post.
@al czervik I picked Wear File Manager as it was the first I came across with a rating above 4.

What's now annoying me is I can't specify an alarm tone it uses the ringing tone.

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
@sesnut you don't need to add them to the root partition, just the one mentioned in my post.
@al czervik I picked Wear File Manager as it was the first I came across with a rating above 4.

What's now annoying me is I can't specify an alarm tone it uses the ringing tone.
yea but if added to the root partition it will probably show up in the wearable app, assuming it doesnt use its own list and pulls it from the watch

akirainblack

Nov 12, 2004
@sesnut maybe, but that would most probably require root permissions...
I did just try and it would appear a symlink is created into that folder as when I tried to paste the ringtone into the ringtone folder in the device root it said the file already exists.. Despite it not showing.

al czervik

Sep 1, 2010
I can confirm
This method works. Thank you.
can confirm that sounds do not show up on phone

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
I noticed that the list on the phone is using alphabetical order and doesnt actually specifically list what ringtones are on the watch so whatever you named your ringtone it will take up that slot and play that tone when you select it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, Is there a chance to add custom ringtones or notification tones to watch 4?
    Or maybe to replace the default one with other files with the same name....

It's not working to add files trough Manage Content/Add Tracks

1. I use Samsung Music Player on my phone with a number of playlists that I synced over to my watch through the Wearables app.

2. I then downloaded a File Explorer on my watch from the Google Play app store.

3. I opened the app, browsed through my watch and found a media folder containing all the songs I had synced over. I chose a song I wanted as the ringtone and copied it over to two other folders, one called Notifications and another called Ringtones. These folders were NOT in the Root folder.

I actually copied over several songs but only one appeared as selectable in the Sound menu of my watch. I've no idea why that one song appeared but the other didn't.

4. Also you might need to restart the watch and wait for a while as the song didn't appear straightaway.