Additional CPU governors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

TheSSJ

• Feb 25, 2010
    Guys,

doesn't anybody wonder why we only have 2 governors? I googled on how to create one myself and found an example source code, but I don't have the whole android coders kit pro elite 5000 :D

My question, why didn't anybody thought of any additional governor? smartass, interactive, ondemand, conservative, lulzactive and so on...

If anyone is interested I can share the source of the interactive gov...

I hope anyone is able to code a new governor??

Greets

aMpeX

Mar 1, 2011
    Kaiserslautern
    The SGS2 has about 10 govs and its also Tegra...dunno though I can be wrong...^^

The SGS2 is not Tegra, it's Exynos and the T-Mobile variant is Snapdragon.

Tegra doesn't accept governors like the other platforms do. Even the 2 you see in e.g. cyanogenmod don't have any effect whatsoever.

TheSSJ

• Feb 25, 2010
    Aaaaaww maaaan...what a pity...:/
    OK I think this thread can be closed then...I'll report it to the senior mods..

aremcee

Retired Recognized Developer
    Feb 1, 2010
    As topogigi said, tegra as several governors, but the p990 tegra drivers are bad programmed, so we have only one hw governor. His Xoom as other governors on stock kernel.

whoever topogigi is, he's wrong. 2.6.32 tegra does not use governors, they were introduced into Tegra by Google for HC.

Topogigi

Oct 21, 2005
    Turin
    whoever topogigi is, he's wrong. 2.6.32 tegra does not use governors, they were introduced into Tegra by Google for HC.

I am Topogigi, pleased to meet you. Xoom has Honeycomb by default, another kernel, same cpu. So, I don't really understand what was wrong in my answer. Bad driver in 2.6.32, no effective governors: is that wrong? I was only unsure if actually the two governors that are exposed in userspace (performance and powersave) could have any effect. From your answer, I could assume they have not. Don't still understand the reason why two governors are exposed in userspace, but I will live even ignoring that.
    Last line, I'm not so sure why Google should bother writing drivers for Tegra and HC. My guess is that Nvidia did it, but that doesn't matter at all.

Last edited:

aremcee

Feb 1, 2010
    I am Topogigi, pleased to meet you. Xoom has Honeycomb by default, another kernel, same cpu. So, I don't really understand what was wrong in my answer. Bad driver in 2.6.32, no effective governors: is that wrong? I was only unsure if actually the two governors that are exposed in userspace (performance and powersave) could have any effect. From your answer, I could assume they have not. Don't still understand the reason why two governors are exposed in userspace, but I will live even ignoring that.
    Last line, I'm not so sure why Google should bother writing drivers for Tegra and HC. My guess is that Nvidia did it, but that doesn't matter at all.

Hi there;

It's not a bad driver, it was a stupid design decision by nvidia which google changed for HC (along with the userspace nvrm transport and odm_kit).
    The dvfs stuff is implemented and working as intended by nvidia, the intention was just misguided.

The current implementation is Google's (mostly by Colin Cross), as you can easily see by looking at the source history at both nvidia's and google's source repositories, and radically different from nvidia's original work.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Topogigi

Topogigi

Oct 21, 2005
    Turin
    Hi there;

It's not a bad driver, it was a stupid design decision by nvidia which google changed for HC (along with the userspace nvrm transport and odm_kit).
    The dvfs stuff is implemented and working as intended by nvidia, the intention was just misguided.

The current implementation is Google's (mostly by Colin Cross), as you can easily see by looking at the source history at both nvidia's and google's source repositories, and radically different from nvidia's original work.

Ok, TY very much: this is the end of the story. Now all is much more clear in my head.

Benee

Mar 15, 2010
    My project the vorkKernel has some "pseudo" govenors in it. Basically not a real govenor, only a limiting thing. The powersave and performance govenor is limiting the freqs to 3-4 steps. So Performance 3-4 higher freqs step and powersave 3-4 lower freqs. Govenor is still the same but atleast something, hehe :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi there;

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone