[ADDON] CM7 Dewonkificator [v1.4 03/17/11]

Search This thread

TheMasterBaron

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 27, 2009
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 6 Pro
OK, I have written an app to attempt and stop call wonkyness on CM7 builds. Specifically the phone locking up when making and receiving calls.

It's my observation that it's the mic that causes the phone to lock up and so this app opens and closes the mic every minute to keep it "fresh". It's a long shot, but I can't seem to duplicate wonkyness with it enabled so I'm posting it for other to try.

Now after a few positive comments to help boost my confidence in the app, I've made it's own thread to make it easy to track comments.

Just install and run (or just reboot as it auto-start on boot). To disable, uninstall it.

Please post your results!

Change Log:
Version 1.4
  • Made service more persistent by adding notification bar. Turns out, Android was killing off the service when memory was running low causing wonk to surface.

Version 1.3
  • Can only be installed on internal memory. Needed to make sure the service can started up on boot. (Thanks to mjukis for pointing this out)

Version 1.2
  • Only dewonkificates when screen is off to avoid conflicts with any apps you may be using.
  • Removed debug logging

Attachments

• Dewonkificator.apk
    17.4 KB · Views: 6,007
  • Dewonkificator-source-code.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

makelegs

Aug 14, 2010
Kansas City
Dude.... As best as I can tell in 20 minutes' time, this damn thing seems to actually work! Gotta tell ya how skeptical I was....but I'm pretty flippin' pleased right now!

Good looking out!! :D

pahardie

Nov 19, 2009
Ilkley, Leeds
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Agree with the op. Can't say for sure its the miracle I've been waiting for... but 4 calls in (admittedly 2 from myself, :) ) no wonks. When I'd expect all to be wonky

If this 'wonklessisity' continues you will surely become supreme ruler of xda!

Will report back soon.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

TheMasterBaron

Jan 27, 2009
Denver, CO
Google Pixel 6 Pro
What are your thoughts and battery impact?....and would some timeframe greater or less than 1 min. factor in??

Currently I can't see any measurable battery drain. Dewonkificator doesn't even show on the About phone->Battery use screen. Increasing the time between dewonkification might be work, but since battery doesn't seem to be a issue and we don't know what the source of the problem is I don't think its worth risking or investigating.

B1ny

Jul 21, 2008
I also believe it have something to do with the mic, since all apps that use it have the same freeze, and it seems to work for me. Thanks :)

makelegs

Aug 14, 2010
Kansas City
Currently I can't see any measurable battery drain. Dewonkificator doesn't even show on the About phone->Battery use screen. Increasing the time between dewonkification might be work, but since battery doesn't seem to be a issue and we don't know what the source of the problem is I don't think its worth risking or investigating.

Seems reasonable enough, to me.

fidorulz

May 12, 2010

Maybe watchdog would be a better app for checking. Would give us a better idea of CPU use. Also juice plotter may help see prior and after install battery consumption

Dirk

May 11, 2009
You deserve an E-Cookie for coming up with such an awesome name :)

FunkyMcBain

Aug 16, 2010
Ottawa
This bug is the reason I got off CM7 nightlies, so damn annoying. Maybe this is a Gingerbread thing rather than a Nexus S problem cause the Nexus S is supposed to be rebooting itself while in calls as I'm sure everyone knows.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, I have written an app to attempt and stop call wonkyness on CM7 builds. Specifically the phone locking up when making and receiving calls.

It's my observation that it's the mic that causes the phone to lock up and so this app opens and closes the mic every minute to keep it "fresh". It's a long shot, but I can't seem to duplicate wonkyness with it enabled so I'm posting it for other to try.

Now after a few positive comments to help boost my confidence in the app, I've made it's own thread to make it easy to track comments.

Just install and run (or just reboot as it auto-start on boot). To disable, uninstall it.

Please post your results!

Change Log:
    Version 1.4
    • Made service more persistent by adding notification bar. Turns out, Android was killing off the service when memory was running low causing wonk to surface.

Version 1.3
    • Can only be installed on internal memory. Needed to make sure the service can started up on boot. (Thanks to mjukis for pointing this out)

Version 1.2
    • Only dewonkificates when screen is off to avoid conflicts with any apps you may be using.
    • Removed debug logging
    OP updated with 1.2 (Only dewonkificates when screen is off to avoid conflicts with any apps you may be using.)
    QUOTE=tolemac;11140837]I don't know what it's the real problem, what is the cause of this problem?
    The first thing that I thought when I saw the code were to handle the incomming call intent, but I don't understand why you are using this interval (1 minute)

Every way, I get this error each minute in my nexus one. Extracted with ddms:

Code:
    02-05 06:28:00.990: ERROR/MediaRecorder(7960): stop failed: -1007
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960): recorder.stop()
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960): java.lang.RuntimeException: stop failed.
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at android.media.MediaRecorder.stop(Native Method)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at com.mb.dewonkificator.DewonkificatorBroadcastReceiver.onReceive(DewonkificatorBroadcastReceiver.java:45)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at android.app.LoadedApk$ReceiverDispatcher$Args.run(LoadedApk.java:709)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:587)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3809)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:507)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:839)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:597)
    02-05 06:28:01.000: ERROR/Dewonkificator(7960):     at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

thanks,[/QUOTE]

You're make an assumption that the code fixes the wonk, when, in fact, its actually preventing it. Wonk happens when an app tries to access the mic after the phone has been sleeping. Doing it when the phone state changes would be to late. This app keeps the mic "fresh" for when it's needed by using it once a minute.

Oh, and i already removed the extra logging and updated the OP

Sent from my SCH-I800 using XDA App
    That's great news and I'm happy that it looks like it's working for people. I was on the edge of rolling back and this was a desperate attempt to fix it. :D
    I don't see any different in battery drain. If there was any kinda drain, it's not enough to offset the good this app is doing.:D