• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

adfree android

Search This thread

n0-0ne

Nov 26, 2006
now that we have an easy way to push update.zip files I was wondering if there was any way to push the host file that adfree android downloads to the sdcard. I know that it doesn't have write access to the system partition when booted but in recovery we do right?

So it should be as simple as creating an update.zip that overwrites the old host right?

I'm going to try to get this working :D

EDIT: Here's how to get this working

1. Search for Adfree Android on the market
2. Install and run
3. allow it to download and install new hosts file, it will copy it to your sdcard and try to replace /system/etc/hosts but fail (it should reboot the phone shortly)
4. Power off the phone and hold Volume Down and power.
5. Use volume down to select recovery
6. In clockwork recovery volume down to "partitions menu" and hit the track pad to select
7. Select "mount /system" and "mount /sdcard" "mount /data"
8. Plug in your usb cord and open a command line on your pc
9. enter adb shell and type the following commands

cp /sdcard/hosts /data/data/hosts
rm /system/etc/hosts
ln -s /data/data/hosts /system/etc/hosts

10. Reboot your phone and enjoy adfree android.

Thanks to all for help in getting this running.

Last edited:

supagene

Jun 18, 2010
You mind sharing the host file? I'd like to do the same. Now that I can connect as root with 'adb shell' then 'su' after the new Unrevoked^2 root. I'd like to start tweaking with things.

junjlo

Jul 16, 2008
Phoenix
what I did was install adfree android, wait for it download and error (the phone will reboot itself) put it into recovery and run the following command from adb shell

cp /sdcard/hosts /system/etc

All my ads are gone :D

i may have an older hosts file than but i just used adb push hosts /system/ect/hosts

tryed cp but get a box with busybox info

Last edited:

supagene

Jun 18, 2010
Found this. forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=664532 do you guys know if the zip file with hosts good enough since I can't seem to get the AdFree app to work correctly? Of is there an apk somewhere for this app and I shouldn't have gotten the one in the app store?

n0-0ne

Nov 26, 2006
Found this. forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=664532 do you guys know if the zip file with hosts good enough since I can't seem to get the AdFree app to work correctly? Of is there an apk somewhere for this app and I shouldn't have gotten the one in the app store?

I used the one from the market, it does error but it should copy the hosts file to your SD card (and reboot your phone shortly thereafter).

supagene

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks!!

So I downloaded the hosts file, booted in recovery, mounted both /system and /sdcard and then 'adb shell' and 'su' and then 'cd /system/etc' and then 'cat /sdcard/hosts > hosts' and it seemed to have worked.

I go to fring and it displays 'Web page not available', not what I'd like to see but it's better than those retarded ads that I keep clicking on by accident.

j1000

Jan 10, 2008
can someone post step by step how to get adfree working I installed the one from the market and let it error and reboot then i entered into clockworkmod recovery now what? do i need to mount system and sd how do i enter into adb shell and change host file. thanks in advance for any help.

n0-0ne

Nov 26, 2006
So I downloaded the hosts file, booted in recovery, mounted both /system and /sdcard and then 'adb shell' and 'su' and then 'cd /system/etc' and then 'cat /sdcard/hosts > hosts' and it seemed to have worked.

I go to fring and it displays 'Web page not available', not what I'd like to see but it's better than those retarded ads that I keep clicking on by accident.
Glad it worked out, not sure why your getting page not available, I just get a blank box at the top of my contacts list, other apps show the same as well, a blank box where the ad used to be.

j1000

Jan 10, 2008
thanks for the quick response everything is good until step 8. I know i sound stupid but i learning fast you say enter adb shell. the way i think you do this is type
1. cd\
2. cd sdk
3. cd tools
4. adb shell
when i do this i get error device not found

can you help from there. thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If a mod happens to drop by, I'd appreciate if you could fix the link in this post for me. Makes life easier for everybody.

I may not be a mod, but I'll gladly help you out and post the link.

Here's the direct download link: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk

Sent from my SGH-T959
    I may not be a mod, but I'll gladly help you out and post the link.

Here's the direct download link: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk

Sent from my SGH-T959

Well done sir and thank you very much. I just went to 4.2.2 on my nexus one and was missing this one. That tricky website was directing to nowhere and the fireplace market link is 'too old.' Ads are gone.
    Have ya'll thought about/tried AdAway? It's open source and looks cleaner, imo:

AdAway on F-Droid

And a xda user compiled one: [APP] [UNOFFICIAL] AdAway v2.3
    Acquired new version of AdFree v0.8.48!

I installed v0.8.47 from APKTop, updated the hosts file and checked if it works OK. All seemed fine and I played with the menu options which I didn't try before - specifically About. It took me to "About AdFree" web page on a mini web server embedded in AdFree (mongoose). There I found "Main Menu" and checked out that. Besides "Login", "Register" and "Lost Password" choices there's also the "Download AdFree" option. Tried it and it downloaded even the newer version: v0.8.48. I'm pretty sure it's from trusted author's location. Installed that one, all works as before, it downloads hosts file OK.

So if anyone would like to stick with AdFree, here's the latest version 0.8.48 attached.

P.S. I hope I'm allowed to attach files as a freshly registered user of XDA. I follow you for years, but just registered today to share this app after Google removed all the add-blocking SW from PlayStore.
    Please upload new version of adfree apk

Thanks in Advance

http://adfree.bigtincan.com