Adobe Flash on 4.1 Jelly Bean!

Search This thread

-Psycho-

Apr 17, 2012
Found this on the Android General discussion forum, and thought I'd bring it to attention here, since we proud Gnex owners are basically THE people rocking some jelly bean version phones, and I've seen many complaints about Adobe flash no longer working.

I take no credit for this guide, simply posting it here for those of us who don't have time/have a life and aren't scanning other forums.
Here's a link to the thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336
Now there are no excuses left as to why shouldn't you update to JB ;)

-Psycho-

Apr 17, 2012
That's cool, but... why?

Sent from my iPhone
(Haha... yeah right!)

Honestly? I personally don't really care about the whole flash buisness... but I don't use it much. Only time I did was when trying to watch streaming video on specific sites, and I've found other, easier alternatives. But there are some people who surf flash based sites on a regular basis, it's understandable they'd be annoyed, I have one friend who didn't want to make the switch to 4.1 because the whole flash issue...

If anyone else was worried about loosing flash support, no reason to now. Make the switch! JB is just worth it...

And people, remember, this is just a temporary way to hold off the inevitable pending death of flash and the rise of HTML5. Support s gone, Adobe announced they'd pull Flash from the app store all together on the 15th of August, and let's be honest, flash has always been a slow, clumsy way to surf the web on mobile (nevertheless, it was nice to have the possibility of running it).

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
  • Mar 14, 2012
    Halifax
    GT-i9250
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    For me, Flash Player carried over from ICS when I flashed the yakju JB OTA, so I had it all along. As I understand it though, all you really ever needed was to sideload the latest Flash (11.1.115.1.12) APK which we've had up in the Dev forums here for awhile now.. Not sure what those extra steps and files are for in the thread you linked.

-Psycho-

Apr 17, 2012
    For me, Flash Player carried over from ICS when I flashed the yakju JB OTA, so I had it all along. As I understand it though, all you really ever needed was to sideload the latest Flash (11.1.115.1.12) APK which we've had up in the Dev forums here for awhile now.. Not sure what those extra steps and files are for in the thread you linked.

Try it. Seriously, go into your browser and open up a flash site, let me know if it works... it carried over for me with the OTA, though flash hasn't worked for me since. Also side loading it doesn't help. Sure it gets installed, but that's all it is now. An installed icon in the app drawer. Clicking it and opening a browser for the settings gives me a blank page. Would be interesting to know if it actually works. I thought it did in the beginning, and proudly showed my friend he shouldn't be worried, flash still works. Then I realized I hadn't been on a flash site, and flash DOESN'T work. Oops :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

zAlbee

May 6, 2012
    Toronto
    zalbee.intricus.net
    Yes, that works. I have Flash held over from the ICS to JB OTA upgrade.

d03605e1-4726-4a3b.jpg

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
    Flash works on my NS on JB. It just does, installed by accident and bam!.... Haha.

Nexus S. (GSM i9020a)
    Paranoid (1.97a - 4.1.1)
    Air Kernel (Week 171 - Voodoo)
    SmartassV2 (800/200)
    Deep Idle (On - Deadline)
    Black Exodus (Inverted apps)

-Psycho-

Apr 17, 2012
    Yes, that works. I have Flash held over from the ICS to JB OTA upgrade.

d03605e1-4726-4a3b.jpg

Well, here's the same game on the same Site on my browser after sideloading flash:
    2e7494f7-1068-4cc9.jpg

I do remember seeming to think that flash WAS working for me right after the OTA, but since then I have flashed so many different roms and I had uninstalled flash somewhere along the process. Just tried sideloading it now and this is what showed up in the stock browser.
    Anyone here have Flash working without carrying over thru the OTA? Just sideloading it?

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
    Well, here's the same game on the same Site on my browser after sideloading flash:
    2e7494f7-1068-4cc9.jpg

I do remember seeming to think that flash WAS working for me right after the OTA, but since then I have flashed so many different roms and I had uninstalled flash somewhere along the process. Just tried sideloading it now and this is what showed up in the stock browser.
    Anyone here have Flash working without carrying over thru the OTA? Just sideloading it?

It works well for me on JB (Eclipse ROM) and I side-loaded V11.1. I think someone already mentioned there is a 'flash-fetcher' on the market here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.modaco.flashdownloader

If you want to be sure you're up to date I think that gets it from Adobe, but I'm not sure, and haven't used that app. I'm able to use flash in the stock JB browser and also in Dolphin, and like everyone, not in Chrome. I'll give you site a try because I don't really use it much but I know it works.

Good luck.

Reactions: -Psycho-

-Psycho-

Apr 17, 2012
    It works well for me on JB (Eclipse ROM) and I side-loaded V11.1. I think someone already mentioned there is a 'flash-fetcher' on the market here:

If you want to be sure you're up to date I think that gets it from Adobe, but I'm not sure, and haven't used that app. I'm able to use flash in the stock JB browser and also in Dolphin, and like everyone, not in Chrome. I'll give you site a try because I don't really use it much but I know it works.

Good luck.

Thanks, but I'm really doing just fine without flash... I'm not to worried even if it will never work again... The fact is that after trying out the guide in the link I had posted above, I removed flash and that was that... For me it was just more for proof of concept :)

-Psycho-

Apr 17, 2012
    I though that JB had terrible battery, isn't that a reason not to upgrade

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda app-developers app

I remember seeing a few threads when the preview build was released, complaining about the battery life, I haven't noticed any difference since making the switch to JB, and yes, I have Google Now working...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Found this on the Android General discussion forum, and thought I'd bring it to attention here, since we proud Gnex owners are basically THE people rocking some jelly bean version phones, and I've seen many complaints about Adobe flash no longer working.

I take no credit for this guide, simply posting it here for those of us who don't have time/have a life and aren't scanning other forums.
      Here's a link to the thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336
      Now there are no excuses left as to why shouldn't you update to JB ;)
      That's cool, but... why?

Sent from my iPhone
      (Haha... yeah right!)
      2e7494f7-1068-4cc9.jpg

Good luck.