• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Advanced Tasker

Search This thread

infinitemonkeys

Nov 28, 2010
Tasker is a very versatile tool for controlling your Android device. The more I learn about it, the more I want to learn. For that reason, I am starting this thread which I hope will be a place for people to not only ask specific advanced questions about Tasker, but also to show off the tricks and hoops they have been able to accomplish with Tasker and its plug-ins.

Example:
To start the ball rolling, and provide an example of what I think this thread should be about, here is an example of an advanced Tasker profile.

Time Recording Pro has a plug-in for Tasker. Following their FAQ to their Product Help page provides Public App Services and some basic directions for creating a task which (with Google Calendar Sync) will create timeclock-like punches.

Public App Services
'Time Recording' provides these public services for 3rd party check-in and check-out integration.
Broadcast receivers
com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_IN
com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_OUT
com.dynamicg.timerecording.PUNCH
Activities
com.dynamicg.timerecording.activity.CHECK_IN
com.dynamicg.timerecording.activity.CHECK_OUT

Sample setup in the 'Tasker' app:
1. Create a Task
2. Add an Action of type 'Action Intent' (found under category Misc)
3. Set Action=com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_IN, Cat=None, Target=BroadcastReceiver
4. Done.
5. Hit the "Test" button​

By creating a context of Cell Nearby (and scanning or entering the cells at a physical location), I have created a task to turn WiFi on, turn BT, Cell Data and GPS off, and record a time-punch to my calendar when I arrive at a site. These tasks are reversed when leaving. This not only saves battery at a site without using GPS, but also automatically records time at a location for Time Billing purposes.

The limitation of this is the time-stamp is fairly generic. I have tried entries in the Extra and other fields of the Action, but not had success creating anything more specific. So it is a very useful context, but has room for improvement.

Challenge:
Another situation that advanced Tasker development would resolve would be overriding the default function of hard buttons on a device. For example, creating a task that changes the default camera app that is launched by long pressing the hard camera button. You can imagine the possibilities are nearly endless for reprogramming the hard buttons, and the potential for problems equally vast. What is needed to accomplish this, however, would be some knowledge of the actions and broadcast receivers similar to those provided by Time Recording Pro. I suspect android programmers might be able to provide some of that information.

Summary:
I hope this thread will start a discussion. Tasker is a very versatile app with numerous plug-ins that offer the ability to accomplish extraordinary control without the need to develop a special app. Whether or not my specific examples are commented on or improved upon, I think there needs to be a better forum for Tasker users to gather and help each other.

Thanks

Reactions: SWEcobra
I'm reviving this old thread in scope of getting some help. As you can see here the list of intents has grown a little bit.
What I'm trying to achieve and can't manage is to get info back to Tasker about the current status of Time Recording.
I presume that com.dynamicg.timerecording.GET_INFO should be called and then wait for an answer on com.dynamicg.timerecording.RESULT, but I cannot seem to get this working.
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tasker is a very versatile tool for controlling your Android device. The more I learn about it, the more I want to learn. For that reason, I am starting this thread which I hope will be a place for people to not only ask specific advanced questions about Tasker, but also to show off the tricks and hoops they have been able to accomplish with Tasker and its plug-ins.

Example:
    To start the ball rolling, and provide an example of what I think this thread should be about, here is an example of an advanced Tasker profile.

Time Recording Pro has a plug-in for Tasker. Following their FAQ to their Product Help page provides Public App Services and some basic directions for creating a task which (with Google Calendar Sync) will create timeclock-like punches.

Public App Services
    'Time Recording' provides these public services for 3rd party check-in and check-out integration.
    Broadcast receivers
    com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_IN
    com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_OUT
    com.dynamicg.timerecording.PUNCH
    Activities
    com.dynamicg.timerecording.activity.CHECK_IN
    com.dynamicg.timerecording.activity.CHECK_OUT

Sample setup in the 'Tasker' app:
    1. Create a Task
    2. Add an Action of type 'Action Intent' (found under category Misc)
    3. Set Action=com.dynamicg.timerecording.CHECK_IN, Cat=None, Target=BroadcastReceiver
    4. Done.
    5. Hit the "Test" button​

By creating a context of Cell Nearby (and scanning or entering the cells at a physical location), I have created a task to turn WiFi on, turn BT, Cell Data and GPS off, and record a time-punch to my calendar when I arrive at a site. These tasks are reversed when leaving. This not only saves battery at a site without using GPS, but also automatically records time at a location for Time Billing purposes.

The limitation of this is the time-stamp is fairly generic. I have tried entries in the Extra and other fields of the Action, but not had success creating anything more specific. So it is a very useful context, but has room for improvement.

Challenge:
    Another situation that advanced Tasker development would resolve would be overriding the default function of hard buttons on a device. For example, creating a task that changes the default camera app that is launched by long pressing the hard camera button. You can imagine the possibilities are nearly endless for reprogramming the hard buttons, and the potential for problems equally vast. What is needed to accomplish this, however, would be some knowledge of the actions and broadcast receivers similar to those provided by Time Recording Pro. I suspect android programmers might be able to provide some of that information.

Summary:
    I hope this thread will start a discussion. Tasker is a very versatile app with numerous plug-ins that offer the ability to accomplish extraordinary control without the need to develop a special app. Whether or not my specific examples are commented on or improved upon, I think there needs to be a better forum for Tasker users to gather and help each other.

Thanks