• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Advantages of unlocking bootloader

Search This thread

reaper000

Aug 3, 2009
OnePlus 9
I'm unlocked, and appreciate the level of access (read "root" ) that this affords me to run custom ROMs and kernels, get better sound, etc.

What you should know is a pretty significant drawback of bootloader unlocking according to some reports here on XDA. Namely, your Widevine level will go to L1 to L3.

What is Widevine?
"Widevine

Last edited:
Reactions: marko94

JhinCuatro

Mar 2, 2017
Hi,

I am curious what you guys think about it ?

What is the advantages? Why you unlocking ? Which kernel are you using etc..thx

Many reasons. To me, the best advantage is having customizable black/dark themes for hundreds of appes like Instagram, Snapchat, Outlook, all google apps, for the system*, etc. This requires root/magisk, which in turn requires an unlocked bootloader.

You can have many gestures and remap keys to do a myriad of functions as well. I used Xposed Edge Pro- I can have over 30+ gestures and remap keys.. You can also get expanded volume slider back, which pie removed for some dumb reason. You have to be aware that some apps try to check for root/unlocked bootloader. Magisk Hide is able to hide root detection for the most part. You might need developer options to be disabled for additional checking too (dev settings only useful if using -Always on Data -Disable Absolute Volume -USB debugging)

marko94

Jul 28, 2012
Zagreb
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm unlocked, and appreciate the level of access (read "root" ) that this affords me to run custom ROMs and kernels, get better sound, etc.

What you should know is a pretty significant drawback of bootloader unlocking according to some reports here on XDA. Namely, your Widevine level will go to L1 to L3.

What is Widevine?
"Widevine
Yeah,I heard about that. But screen on this phone is so beautiful , so watching Netflix for example in non hd mode is awesome. Hehe
Maybe there will be some fix soon for that ,who knows

harpin14789

Nov 17, 2012
Dallas
Hi,

What everyone said about getting custom roms, root, etc is correct. Magisk modules are also amazing.
With magisk, you will pass saftynet and can use google pay too.

But sadly after unlocking bootloader, widevine goes from L1 to L3 so you can't stream HD HDR content on netflix and amazon prime. Another drawback to unlocking bootloader and custom roms is that usually stock camera takes a hit (you can use Gcam), and the FP unlock speed is usually also effected. This is all my prior experience from Oneplus 3T and 5T, both of which I unlocked and rooted within a few days of getting them.
But the 7pro has this amazing HDR compliant screen, so I'm probably going to enjoy it as long as I can, I'll eventually get fed up with OOS and then go to custom roms.

Overall, there are more advantages than disadvantages to unlocking boot loader IMO.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

What is Widevine?
"Widevine

On my oneplus 5T, I have L1 even after unlocking bootloader but Netflix won't play higher than 960x540.
Is there no possibility that we can somehow bypass that like saftynet?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I haven't unlocked mine yet but probably will. Main reason is to root and ability to run custom roms and kernels. Once you have custom kernel and magdisk the possibilities are almost endless as far as tweaking and optimization goes!
    Basically what @oneandroidnut said. I have mine rooted and get about 7hrs of SOT over 40hr periods when using certain kernels. Its well worth it IMO.

What is Widevine?
    "Widevine
    Hi,

Many reasons. To me, the best advantage is having customizable black/dark themes for hundreds of appes like Instagram, Snapchat, Outlook, all google apps, for the system*, etc. This requires root/magisk, which in turn requires an unlocked bootloader.

You can have many gestures and remap keys to do a myriad of functions as well. I used Xposed Edge Pro- I can have over 30+ gestures and remap keys.. You can also get expanded volume slider back, which pie removed for some dumb reason. You have to be aware that some apps try to check for root/unlocked bootloader. Magisk Hide is able to hide root detection for the most part. You might need developer options to be disabled for additional checking too (dev settings only useful if using -Always on Data -Disable Absolute Volume -USB debugging)
    Hi,

What everyone said about getting custom roms, root, etc is correct. Magisk modules are also amazing.
    With magisk, you will pass saftynet and can use google pay too.

But sadly after unlocking bootloader, widevine goes from L1 to L3 so you can't stream HD HDR content on netflix and amazon prime. Another drawback to unlocking bootloader and custom roms is that usually stock camera takes a hit (you can use Gcam), and the FP unlock speed is usually also effected. This is all my prior experience from Oneplus 3T and 5T, both of which I unlocked and rooted within a few days of getting them.
    But the 7pro has this amazing HDR compliant screen, so I'm probably going to enjoy it as long as I can, I'll eventually get fed up with OOS and then go to custom roms.

Overall, there are more advantages than disadvantages to unlocking boot loader IMO.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

What is Widevine?
    "Widevine

On my oneplus 5T, I have L1 even after unlocking bootloader but Netflix won't play higher than 960x540.
    Is there no possibility that we can somehow bypass that like saftynet?