Adventures in trying to get Phone calls

Search This thread

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
alright guys. im gonna take the plundge. i noticed a dead pixel on my tab so its going back to tmobile for a replacement. i thought i would try the euro firmware before returning it. so guys, need your help! which firmware should i flash and whats the procedure for it. links would be helpful.

the firmwares are here, i dunno which one to flash tho.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/PYh2eQTG/ROMs.html

theres a great chance im gonna brick it, but since its going back, i thought i would try and just make up some excuse if they ask me what happened. help me out so i can help u out![/QUOT

Use only jj4 from samirnware as it is the only full flash firmware available . Use with the supplied pit file and repartition. Good luck .

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Jyveafk

Jan 2, 2009
I'm enabling all variations, but as wiki shows;
850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G Non-native accessible via roaming agreement
1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G Largest network in the United States
1700/2100 MHz UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA/HSPA+ 3G Uses AWS Auctioned Spectrum

those are the only ones that are working for me, selecting others knocks the phone off, but it's still only showing EDGE in the notification bar.

Selecting WCDMA preferred/only doesn't appear to be doing much. Though maybe it's local issues, I've had problems before here (Miami), and usually end up dropping back to GSM.

So, working for Edge, it's GSM/WCDMA (auto Mode) in Mobile network Settings.
If I goto the phone testing options (using Any Cut and going to 'testing', 4636 from phone), it's showing 'GSM Auto (PRL)' and it connects to EDGE. If I change it to wcdma preferred, I drop connection.
But there's only 1 bar showing. Maybe it's where I am, but the nexus one is showing 2 bars atm.
Oh well, appears to be working for ow.
Will take it out tomorrow and see what's what.

cjsblues

May 17, 2007
Orlando, FL
Anyone have the stock T-Mobile US modem file?

If anyone can grab the modem.bin from the stock T-Mobile US Galaxy Tab, then we can drop it on top of the JK1 ROM and hopefully get 3G back.

Post it here if you have it.

If its like the Vibrant, then I can create an Odin tar file to flash.

cjsblues

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010
If anyone can grab the modem.bin from the stock T-Mobile US Galaxy Tab, then we can drop it on top of the JK1 ROM and hopefully get 3G back.

Post it here if you have it.

If its like the Vibrant, then I can create an Odin tar file to flash.

cjsblues

Tell me where I can find the file. Let me know and I will upload it for you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Anyone tried to force wcdma through *#*#197328640#*#* and play with bands through those menues ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

mywingtophone

Aug 20, 2007
I was so excited about this but then again 3g is not working oh well.... It wasn't that exciting after all.

Ten-thumbs-up !!

When I begin mid-December on the nominations for the 2010 Devvy Awards for Android OS (outstanding achievement in app-dev for touchscreen devices), I think I need a new Recognition category, i don't know, like "Radical Balls" or something indicative of going for the risk in the name of hacking for the community at large... Anyway, I just LOVE reading stuff like this!

theres a great chance im gonna brick it, but since its going back, i thought i would try and just make up some excuse if they ask

alright guys. im gonna take the plundge. i noticed a dead pixel on my tab so its going back to tmobile for a replacement. i thought i would try the euro firmware before returning it. so guys, need your help! which firmware should i flash and whats the procedure for it. links would be helpful.

the firmwares are here, i dunno which one to flash tho.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/PYh2eQTG/ROMs.html

theres a great chance im gonna brick it, but since its going back, i thought i would try and just make up some excuse if they ask me what happened. help me out so i can help u out!

deafjam

Nov 1, 2010
I followed the steps, i get black screen when booting up. But if I wait and the soft buttons light up, I can press volume buttons and/or power button and I'll finally get the screen to show. The only thing I did different was installed P1000XXJK1 firmware update instead of the one mentioned. And wow, the boot screen is different, it says Galaxy Tab and has a different home screen. Step by step instructions. This euro rom seems to run a lot smoother and better than the us version. I get samsung apps, music hub, readerhub or whatever, and can connect to market via wifi without 3g service. Musichub doesnt work in my country, but reader does. Mediahub is missing. I can make phone calls!

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
There are those (you know who you are) in this thread and elsewhere that are at the very least threatening to return the Tab to T-Mobile and punishing them by either not keeping the device, not getting another phone with them, etc. Wasn't it Samsung that did this? It is no different on any of the 4 carriers, right? It all seems rather childish, am I alone in this opinion?

Don't get me wrong. Kudos to the people who have hacked device into submission. Power to the people. However, I believe the feelings may be misdirected. When the iPad was released, I must have missed the whole controversy involving people wanting it to be a phone. Maybe it never happened. AT&T and T-Mobile should both be punished for not selling the iPad and Tab as phones, right? They're both mobile carriers, how dare they release an mobile device that isn't a phone, right? No, Apple wanted the device that way in the US and Samsung may have chosen to closely emulate that. After all, Apple showed that Americans are willing to pay for a phone and tablet separately. We got lucky that Samsung released the software to add the feature elsewhere to simplify hacking efforts where the Apple iPad folks are likely just SOL.

Last edited:

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010
There are those (you know who you are) in this thread and elsewhere that are at the very least threatening to return the Tab to T-Mobile and punishing them by either not keeping the device, not getting another phone with them, etc. Wasn't it Samsung that did this? It is no different on any of the 4 carriers, right? It all seems rather childish, am I alone in this opinion?

Don't get me wrong. Kudos to the people who have hacked device into submission. Power to the people. However, I believe the feelings may be misdirected. When the iPad was released, I must have missed the whole controversy involving people wanting it to be a phone. Maybe it never happened. AT&T and T-Mobile should both be punished for not selling the iPad and Tab as phones, right? They're both mobile carriers, how dare they release an mobile device that isn't a phone, right? No, Apple wanted the device that way in the US and Samsung may have chosen to closely emulate that. After all, Apple showed that Americans are willing to pay for a phone and tablet separately. We got lucky that Samsung released the software to add the feature elsewhere to simplify hacking efforts where the Apple iPad folks are likely just SOL.

I think we should really stay on topic. But, if I were to blame anyone I would blame samsung just like I blamed apple for the iPad. But returning it to tmobile is how you punish both parties; its the only effective way to do it.

I think I might do this today. Wishing there was a detailed step by step. Also, if you look at the page with all the various firmwares you can see where it says "for carriers" or something like that and tmobile is listed. Maybe that needs to be flashed on top of everything. Not sure what it is tho.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010
He's using a stock samsung galaxy tab from tmobile. I don't know the bands off the top of my head tho.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

x2beach

Apr 2, 2010
Anyone figure out how to get the data to work on tmobile ? no matter what I do i get redirected to tmobile site to sign in. and I am stuck in 3dge mode still

voice works great.. but no look with data

shollywood

Aug 5, 2008
Go into settings ,wireless and network,mobile networks, access point names, hit the furthest left soft key on phone, select new APN and enetr below...

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE APN when done...see if that works...

Connection Name: T-Mobile Internet
Data bearer: Packet data
Access point name: internet2.voicestream.com or internet3.voicestream.com
User name: N/A
Password: N/A
Authentication: Normal
Homepage: None
Advanced Settings (Handsets not equiped with WAP 2.0 may skip this section)
Proxy serv address: None
Proxy port number: None

shollywood

Aug 5, 2008
MORE SETTINGS:

T-Mobile U.S.A. GPRS/EDGE, ISDN, and WAP settings
This is a simple collection of settings for use with the T-Mobile (formerly VoiceStream) U.S.A. network. I have used these settings to configure my own GSM mobile phones and other devices such as PDAs and laptops. They may or may not be accurate at a given time and are compiled here in the hope that others may find them useful.

I have no affiliation with T-Mobile other than being a customer for several years.

T-Mobile GPRS settings (T-Mobile EDGE settings)
T-Mobile GPRS/EDGE settings for terminals (e.g., phone handsets). Some items are possibly Nokia-specific. I have found the authentication type can be either Secure or Normal. These settings should be useful for T-MobileWeb users.

APN: wap.voicestream.com
IP address: 216.155.165.050
Data bearer: GPRS
Username: [none]
Password: [none]
Authentication type: Secure
Connection security: Off
APN is the GPRS Access Point Name.

T-Mobile GPRS/EDGE modem settings
T-Mobile GPRS/EDGE network settings when using a device as a GPRS "modem", that is, when "tethered" to another device. Examples include connection via Dial Up Networking (DUN) Bluetooth profile, or via Universal Serial Bus (USB). These settings should be useful for T-Mobile Internet users.

APN: internet2.voicestream.com
Username: voicestream
SMTP server: myemail.t-mobile.com
APN is the GPRS Access Point Name.

T-Mobile GPRS/EDGE modem settings for T-Mobile VPN users.
Users of T-Mobile's Virtual Private Networking (VPN) Internet option should substitute the following APN:

APN: internet3.voicestream.com
T-Mobile ISDN settings
T-Mobile ISDN settings for terminals (e.g., phone handsets). This is an ISDN dial-up number for WAP use only. Some items are possibly Nokia-specific. I have found the authentication type can be either Secure or Normal.

Dial-up number: +1 913 244 0821
Data call type: ISDN
Data call speed: 14400
IP address: 10.168.200.50
Data bearer: GSM data
Username: wap
Authentication type: Secure
Connection security: Off
T-Mobile WAP services settings
T-Mobile WAP services (t-zones) settings

Homepage: http://wap.myvoicestream.com

x2beach

Apr 2, 2010
nope.. that doesnt make any difference.. I get Redirected to T-mobile site to login my account. must be Imei # is telling the device to redirect to there site since I am not on a web connect plan.

btw this is the sim out of my Vibriant that has unlimted talk and web

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just flash the EURO firmware version. But now I am only getting EDGE. Of course I also need a new SIM with voice and data. The hardware is there guys!! Now I only need to unlock this puppy.
    Well, most of the info came from;
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=827853&page=3
    post 23.

I just started from a different version as I wasn't able to dial the keypad to find out what I currently had installed.

I'm still not sure if the phone.apk's would have worked, think I was doing it wrong, but many thanks to people who posted theirs. If that does work, it'd be far easier and less 'omg I think I've just trashed it' moments.

So..
    After a few moments of the Android restore shell, the download screen, and the 'phone-!-computer' screen (which as it turns out isn't anything to worry about, you can still connect up using odin to flash).

Download Odin3 v1.70
    do some googling for;
    P1000XXJHA
    for the base rom.
    Used;
    P1_20100909.pit
    for formating. Selected 'Repartition' 'AutoReboot' 'fResetTime'. That rebooted with nothing.
    Then, unchecked the 'repartion' part (as the structure is setup, don't want to screw it up, the next flashing needs to 'drop in' where the structure is.

Then, loading into the JHA.rar, flashed that and rebooted.
    After some power off/on/off/on again, it's back to being usuable (previous to this, all my other attempts were locking it up at various screens).
    The Phone icon WAS visible, but unable to make phone calls.

Now... I was a bit rash here, I also flashed P1000OXAJK1.tar (Repartion set to OFF!) to upgrade, AND I swapped sims to my known working Sim card.

At this point, it rebooted, showed 'Emergency Calls only'
    Went into the wireless/Mobile Settings/NetworkOperators and made sure it was connected to TMobile. That that point, I made my first call and it worked.
    Received a call too, also working.

Everything else 'appears' to be working apart from the browsing which looks like some APN setting. Every page I'm trying to access takes me to the Tmobile site. I need to set something/have something set I guess. The settings /look/ right, but can't get to non-tmobile if I'm not using wireless.

Though it also looks like I'm not getting much signal too. 1 bar tops (sure I was getting 3 before flashing) so guess there's some issues with the radio. Don't know what todo about that. Not showing the '3', just 'e' when I'm connecting up too. (-107dBm, 3asu, network type : edge)

The settings/about shows 'phone' information, not 'tablet' information as it did before too.

Overall though, it's working ok. Once I get the 3g browsing sorted, it'll be perfect.
    Has anyone started working on the CDMA version?
    I am very sorry!

I would like to make my Tmobile Tab to make call. But as I read through the instructions, I am not really sure how to follow them. Would anybody to help as to rewrite the instructions step by step.

Thank you very much

here is the steps you need to have voice+edge on the t-mobile tab (this is if you already own a Vibrant) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=876178
    Hi,

Is there a way to lower the loudspeaker volume, So that you can use the tab as a phone and the loudspeaker as an Ear Piece ? I've seen some people use it like this.

When I put mine as low as possible, I still can not use it for private calls as its too loud.

Thanks for your help.

Ash.