Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze

ABSarah

Mar 5, 2018
Personally I like NordVPN. It is a paid service but well worth the money. They have a lot of servers around the world, support streaming, have an awesome and responsive ServiceDesk and best of all, a no-log policy. That last part is something that is being overlooked to often and basically means that your VPN isn’t private at all since the logs will tell exactly what, where and how long you did something.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

ABSarah

Mar 5, 2018
Hello,

I'm looking to find myself a VPN.

I've gone through a lot of reviews and I see people are recommending right few vpn that is more privacy oriented.

However, I ended up on this page (https://www.privacytips.co/) where it says that Express, PIA, Nordvpn are better options in terms of privacy. But i am confused which one to choose.

Can someone recommend me a good VPN (free or paid), I just need to strengthen up my online privacy.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jhonmarkgomez

Oct 19, 2019
Express VPN is the best for me [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my MRD-LX2 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Hi fellows

I need an advise about vpn provider.

Which is the Best for surf anonymous and no logs ?

Thx

Envoyé de mon oneplus 6T
Express VPN is the best [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my MRD-LX2 using Tapatalk

GalaxyA325G

May 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A32 5G
Oh my, where do I start to answer the OP's question?

• While nothing anyone said is wrong above, everything they said was wrong in some way.
  • Even the OP's original question is wrong in some ways. Sigh.

Where do I start?

Let's start with the OP's original question...
"Which is the Best [free][VPN] for anonymity and no logs?"

That's like asking which is the best religion, or which is the best town to live in, or which is the best tree to plant on your lawn. The only best VPN is the best one FOR YOU (where there are scores of critical criteria to choose from).

It's kind of like asking which is the best spouse. There isn't any one best spouse. But many will do just fine. That's what VPN is like.

But no spouse is perfect. They REMEMBER stuff you did. Maybe they "say" they won't remember all the bad things you did, but they "can" remember them - and that's the point. There are no VPNs that don't keep logs of some sort or other. They just do not exist. They may "say" they don't keep logs, and maybe they even wipe them out frequently, but if a subpoena tells them to keep logs, they'll keep logs.

About the only way to avoid the suphoena is to find a VPN that is offshore for your country, and that doesn't have an agreement with the country you live in. Fat chance you'll find that - but you might.

But if someone is gonna ask 'what's the best VPN?" that's not the type of person who will do that much work to find the best VPN they can find for themselves.

Anyway, moving forward, the anonymity part is really kind of simple since even a web proxy will give you some level of anonymity, as would a TOR connection if you're doing 'web surfing'. Of course, that's just IP address anonymity - where the proxy keeps records - and where your browser fingerprint and other web activity is gonna curtail that anonymity real fast.

But for most things (e.g., torrenting), you need a bona-fide VPN and not just a web proxy (like Opera, or Epic).

As always, the answer to the "what's the best VPN" question is sort of like the "what's the best motor oil" question on car forums - where it's always asked - and the answer is always the same - and that means the answer depends on whom you're hiding from, where let's assume, for our sanity, that you are not hiding from a TLA since anyone asking that question isn't gonna be able to do that.

Take the motor oil example, where there isn't a car forum on this planet that doesn't have a huge set of threads on what's the best motor oil.
  1. Some people will swear on Mobil 1
  2. Others will vehemently proclaim Castrol is the best
  3. Still others say just get any motor oil that meets the minimum spec
Same thing with VPNs.
Me? I'm in that third category above.
  • Get any motor oil that meets the minimum spec; and,
  • Get any VPN that meets the minimum spec.
As for the free part of the spec, there are plenty of free VPNs out there, but each one takes its pound of flesh. Three that come to mind offhand are
  • freeopenvpn
  • vanwa
  • vpngate
Note: Many people "think" you have to pay a lot of money to get a good oil, but every person who ever said that doesn't know anything about motor oil. Every time. It never fails.

It's the same with VPN.
People who think "you get what you pay for" are always stupid people because it's just not true. You get what you get. It doesn't matter how much or how little you pay for it.

What you pay is a function of the supply and demand curve, and a LOT of that curve is due to MARKETING and not to the specification of the product. But let's not go there 'cuz I could wax philosophically on you for days on that one topic alone (where MARKETING === PROPAGANDA).

Suffice to say if anyone ever tells you that you get what you pay for in a VPN, run from them as fast as you can as they don't know a darn thing about anything - because that statement - in and of itself - is never true. It's always wrong.

Now, I'm NOT saying that you can pay for a damn good VPN, but what makes the VPN damn good is the adherence to the spec - not how much you paid for it. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get flack for that...

But what matters is the spec.
For example, the protocol.

What protocol is "the best"?
Hell if I know.

For this post I'll assume the openvpn protocol, but of course, others exist.

The point about the free openvpn VPNs is that if all you want is anonymity, and if you're not hiding from a TLA, and if you can handle the inconvenience, those free VPNs work fine (despite everyone claiming otherwise without any evidence).

I'm not saying they're the best - I'm just saying they're free and they work and that anyone can at least get up to speed on using VPN if they use any of those.

All you need are two things:
a. The openvpn client
b. Any openvpn configuration file (which those three sites give you)

Of course, you can pay for a VPN too, and then the onus is on you to figure out the gotchas such as bandwidth caps, speed limitations, location of servers, etc., which, like choosing the best spouse, could take the rest of your life to figure out for sure - and even then - one mistake and you're dead (if you're hiding from a TLA for example).

Oh well, that's where I started. Sorry to bore you.
Overall, my advice is simple.

1. There is no 'best' free VPN nor a best 'payware' vpn
2. You could spend the rest of your life finding one
3. And even then, you'd be making mistakes

Given that inevitability, my advice for anyone who has never used a VPN is to simply download the openvpn client and download a bunch of the free openvpn configuration files above, and just do it.

What do you have to lose?
just don't break the law and just do normal stuff.

BTW, in the USA, nobody has EVER been successfully prosecuted for torrenting mainstream movies who fought the charges. Nobody.

If you think otherwise, I'd love to know the case since I researched this, and the only thing that came up were the "malibu" cases, which were eventually thrown out of court and the lawyers disbarred (long story but it's unrelated to the point).

The reasons are as complex as copyright law and the mechanism that is how torrents work - but rest assured - almost everyone who torrents mainstream movies without a VPN gets a letter forwarded by their ISP so it's de rigueur to use even a rudimentary VPN if you torrent.

The point is that if you use a VPN, even a free VPN, and if you torrent, then you're "probably" safe with the free VPN (or a payware VPN). If you're watching naughty stuff, you're still probably safe as long as that nasty stuff isn't illegal. I have no idea what happens if it's illegal stuff but I wouldn't recommend you risk that on any VPN where my entire response is assuming you are not breaking the law.

In summary, if you're not breaking the law, and if all you want is a bit of privacy, and maybe torrenting a mainstream movie or two, then a free VPN "should' work just fine for that purpose (as would any of the payware VPNs).

Back to the 'best' question... there is no answer since it would take the rest of your life to find the best VPN and you'd only be able to figure it out by trial and error. Best to just look up any review for any VPN you're interested in.

There. I started answering the question. I hope...

Last edited: