After Samsung update today, Gcam stopped working????

Search This thread

Sunspark

Sep 7, 2015
An observation I wish to make for 1329, on my device in the viewfinder the front selfie camera appears washed out and overexposed, however it does take correctly exposed photos. This is a bug, but not one that impacts the end result.

Curiously, in portrait mode setting the viewfinder is correctly exposed.

Reactions: biapestana

dubbactrumpetmsu

Oct 5, 2010
this is a version which fixes FC, I am will trying to work around the bug of the front camera
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1329/

Thanks to Samsung for their help and who thinks of these users

I realize this one is for the S20 but I figure you'd want to know this much just because you might be working on one for the Note 20 series and I don't see a post there about it yet - this one with that profile doesn't FC, back camera modes work but photos come out with a crazy purple or blue hue. slo-mo video is super choppy but worked. Time-lapse worked like a charm, though, and focus switch was super quick.

agiuscrew

Jul 12, 2018
Just need to fix the selfie camera as it crashes, but otherwise all good! I actually think though that Samsung improved the stock camera with this update......

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Phoenix
www.sampwnd.com
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Samsung recently rolled out the most anticipated One UI 2.5 firmware update for the Galaxy S20 series with August 2020 security patch. One UI 2.5 basically launched with the Note 20 series. The manufacturer promised that the same update with come to the Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra with all the new features. Apparently, One UI 2.5 update blocks Google Camera apps from running on the Galaxy S20 series. Users who upgraded their devices have started reporting that the Gcam mods, that worked prior to the upgrade, suddenly stopped working.

This is bad news for all the Samsung users as the One UI 2.5 firmware will be rolling out to the Galaxy S10 series, Note 10 series, Galaxy S9 series, Note 9, and more. So if the Samsung is intentionally blocking Google Camera app from running, then devices like Galaxy S9 and Note 9 are screwed forever. That’s because One UI 2.5 firmware based on Android 10 will be the last major update the two devices will get.

firstly, we all know about the update.. i dont see it as a big deal..

secondly the app was always "blocked" since ppl need to port it usually and make modded apk for it to work..

lastly good riddance.. maybe will stop seeing so many cry for gcam when its not wven that great imo.. devices arent "screwed forever" except for those thqt only care about gcam at which they should just buy a pixel

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Phoenix
www.sampwnd.com
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
An observation I wish to make for 1329, on my device in the viewfinder the front selfie camera appears washed out and overexposed, however it does take correctly exposed photos. This is a bug, but not one that impacts the end result.

Curiously, in portrait mode setting the viewfinder is correctly exposed.
so its overexposed but properly exposed? how does that work exactly lol being "overexposed" would mean in fact it is not properly exposed wouldnt it?

beserker15

Sep 21, 2009
firstly, we all know about the update.. i dont see it as a big deal..

secondly the app was always "blocked" since ppl need to port it usually and make modded apk for it to work..

lastly good riddance.. maybe will stop seeing so many cry for gcam when its not wven that great imo.. devices arent "screwed forever" except for those thqt only care about gcam at which they should just buy a pixel

I disagree with this statement. If you never optimized gcam to your preference then that's on you but the quality that I get in comparison to stock is night and day... Turns out, not everyone likes the more processed look of stock cam with the heavy noise reduction in lower light.

And this isn't even just about gcam, yes gcam needs to be ported but you know there are other third party camera apps that use RAW too right? Samsung DID block RAW API in the front camera and ultra wide camera after this update that wasn't blocked before. Gcam only crashed because it relied on the RAW API. So Samsung didn't specifically block gcam, they blocked RAW on these auxiliary cameras which also affect other third party apps.

And that's absurd about just buying Pixel. Pixel has a great camera software but their hardware is crap. Samsung makes the best hardware and their software is constantly improving but to those who loves photography (more than just compresses instagram photos), stock cam isn't there yet. Using the best hardware (S20 Ultra sensor) combined with superior camera software (gcam) is literally best of both worlds.

Samsung's stock pro mode btw only works with the main camera as well so if you wanted better stuff from the auxiliary cameras, you had to go third party.

xDMONEYx

Sep 23, 2010
so its overexposed but properly exposed? how does that work exactly lol being "overexposed" would mean in fact it is not properly exposed wouldnt it?

I have seen this before as well throughout the years on various GCam ports/versions, on various devices. The VIEWFINDER (as OP stated) appears to be over-exposed, but when you actually take the picture, the picture itself is not actually over-exposed. I'd imagine people testing the camera are just trying to provide Arnova with any and all info they can, as he clearly cares about trying to remedy this for people who are interested in using GCam ports on their Samsung phones.

I am not sure what your purpose in this thread is. If you don't care about GCam ports and just want to come antagonize people trying to contribute to fixing the GCam port issues on the 2.5 update, why not just leave the thread alone?

Sunspark

Sep 7, 2015

What I mean by this is that when you are looking at the live screen in "Camera" with the front camera your face will look washed out and too bright or cloudy, but when you look at the photo you just took in the gallery none of that will appear. Your complexion will not be washed out in the photo.

Looking at the live screen in "Portrait" does not display this same washed out effect.

Both save the photos with the correct exposure, this is some sort of display bug for the "Camera" mode.

agiuscrew

Jul 12, 2018
this is a version which fixes FC, I am will trying to work around the bug of the front camera
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1329/

Thanks to Samsung for their help and who thinks of these users

Thanks for this I have instant HDR+ enabled, is that HDR enhanced?

Here is what doesn't work:
- camera crashed if I tried using the selfie camera
- camera crashed if I enable motion photo
- Astro mode doesn't work, seems to be regular night mode despite using tripod, timer, infinite focus, and Astro enabled

Samsung s20+ Snapdragon
@Arnova8G2

zaqm

Apr 8, 2017
To get rid of the purple hue go to advanced setting and change the color filter arrangement to auto

This version "works" on my S20 Ultra 5G SM-G988W One UI V2.5 Snapdragon variant - But the images have a significant purple hue.
I haven't tried the selfie camera - Or done much other testing - But it does NOT force close when opening it.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=83417313

Sent from my SM-G988W Running One UI v2.5
Try this

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's actually very helpful. Can you guys download the Camera API2 Probe app and post screenshots of what it says for Camera ID 1 and ID 3? This is mine for my Camera ID 1 on the older build.

Looks like both those IDs on the update don't allow RAW capture. That must be part of the problem. Do you know if it is fixable?
    I have attached the camera info.

It looks like the front facing camera is not giving RAW.

Also since I didn't mention it previously I am using a Snapdragon USA unlocked S20

Looks like both those IDs on the update don't allow RAW capture. That must be part of the problem. Do you know if it is fixable?

Thanks guys. Super useful info. I don't know if it's fixable but I'm passing the info to the gcam testing group that I'm in so hopefully one of the devs will see and know what to do about it.
    I spent a good amount of time yesterday trying different GCam versions. Some partially worked, namely some HyperCam versions and TrCamera versions. Couldn't seem to get the front camera working on any versions, however. No matter what RAW and Viewfinder format I chose, the front camera would either hang, or cause the app to crash. I rooted through as many settings as I could think to change around to get the front camera working, but nothing was working for me. So I would imagine that the versions that are closing immediately may have some sort of front camera configuration that is now not playing nice after the 2.5 update.

Definitely very strange, hoping a dev can nail this down, because I have been trying to use Samsung's camera app and, boy it's just not comparable to GCam, especially the front camera.
    So I tried Hypercam. When I switched to the telephoto it completed crashed. Wipe data and got everything back. Front-facing camera just hangs.

I spent a good amount of time yesterday trying different GCam versions. Some partially worked, namely some HyperCam versions and TrCamera versions. Couldn't seem to get the front camera working on any versions, however. No matter what RAW and Viewfinder typing I chose, the front camera would either hang, or cause the app to crash. I rooted through as many settings as I could think to change around to get the front camera working, but nothing was working for me. So I would imagine that the versions that are closing immediately may have some sort of front camera configuration that is now not playing nice after the 2.5 update.

Definitely very strange, hoping a dev can nail this down, because I have been trying to use Samsung's camera app and, boy it's just not comparable to GCam, especially the front camera.

That's actually very helpful. Can you guys download the Camera API2 Probe app and post screenshots of what it says for Camera ID 1 and ID 3? This is mine for my Camera ID 1 on the older build.

I have attached the camera info.

It looks like the front facing camera is not giving RAW.

Also since I didn't mention it previously I am using a Snapdragon USA unlocked S20
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone