[AIO] Prepare your device (and your knowledge) for any GSI

Search This thread

Dil3mm4

Mar 22, 2018
Preliminary operations/infos

First of all: what's Treble?

How do I obtain my bootloader unlock code?
Huawei officially ceased the unlocking service.

How do I get Treble on my device?
  • At the moment of this write down, EMUI it's still in private BETA.
  • The only chance to obtain it it's to follow this guide CAREFULLY.

What if I want to revert to EMUI 8/5?
  • Follow the steps described in the guide to get treble on your device using EMUI 8 files if you want to revert to EMUI 8, or EMUI 5 if you wish to revert to it.

The road it's long...

So, you're sitting there, not understanding why there are so much ROMs in this section and why you shouldn't use the ones appearing in Treble-Enabled Device Development since you worked so hard to get Treble on it.
Let's try to answer a universal question.

What's the difference from the "standard" GSIs and the ROMs in this section?

Well, the ROMs here were made keeping an eye on the "optimization per-platform" concept, basically tracking down some proprietary stuff inheriting them under /system .​

**WHAT FOLLOWS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS**

I honestly think, that we should cut off this approach.
Inheriting stuff under /system has no more sense.

Am I saying that what I did till now had no sense?
Yes.

The whole Treble concept relies on moving away from system, any vendor related stuff.
So why in the hell should we inherit proprietary stuff in our system partition again?
When we have other ways to don't mess with it?

The only stuff that still "deserves" to have something to do with /system it's the Huawei Camera.
Everything else, belongs to /vendor.

Furthermore, our goal, as developers and users, should be to track down specific-platform bugs and report them.
Co-operation is the sake of open-source and the key to success in a wonderful GSI experience for everyone.

Last edited:

Dil3mm4

Mar 22, 2018
Is my device ready to use a "standard" GSI?
Pretty much.
Huawei doesn't ship any overlay under /vendor in our PRA, because it's inherited in EMUI under /system.
But, you can follow this guide, to include the needed overlay to be fully GSI-ready.
Also, you need this thread too to fix offline charging on your Huawei device.

Known Bugs on GSI and "specific-GSI"
NFC has been an annoying issue all along the development process on some Huawei devices.
But this flashable zip, seems to solve the issue on our PRA.
Indeed it needs more testing.​

Available tools/software for your PRA

Specific-GSI available

Specific GSIs are now discontinued.
Go to the Treble Enabled Development sub to get some ROMs to flash!

NOTE:
This ROMs will be discontinued in a couple of weeks, since the installation of the overlay (previously highlighted in the paragraph "Is my device ready to use a "standard" GSI?") will give access to a full fledged GSI experience without the need of specific GSIs.

Custom kernels

Last edited:

Dil3mm4

Mar 22, 2018
Disable encryption to use Adoptable Storage (or just because you can)

• open /vendor/etc/fstab.hi6250
  • make a backup just in case
  • find "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /data f2fs nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,inlinedata,inlinexattr wait,check,fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts"
  • remove ",fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts"
  • factory reset via stock recovery

If this isn't clear enough, please, check this contribution.

Playstore download pending fix

Magisk keeps crashing?
  • Turn off its "Check for update feature" and praise for the arrival of a new Magisk version.
From 16.6 version, Magisk it's fully working.
Please, refer to this thread for a correct installation.

How to report bugs

Boot problems:
  • Please do dump /splash2 partition and sys/fs/pstore content via adb pull in my TWRP.
  • adb logcat > file.txt

Quirks on booted system:
  • Please take a full bugreport when the bugs happens via Developer Options
or
  • adb logcat > file.txt
  • send file.txt to the developer

Last edited:

Dil3mm4

Mar 22, 2018
Hey you!
If you're reading this message I want you to help this community.

Share your thoughts about this posts or post your un-answered questions below.
The more we share, the best experience we'll get.

Also, please respect my work.
If you do integrate some of this infos in your thread/website or whatever, add me in the credits.

Furthermore, feel free to join us at @GSI_HI6250 on Telegram, we're funny people, I swear.

Is this non-clear somehow?
Or you just need help?

Fill the help form below.
Device Variant:
Device Firmware:
Is your device rebranded?:
How frequently this issue happens?
Is this happening now?
Describe the issue:
Describe steps to reproduce the issue:
Attach logcats/full bugreports as described on the paragraph "How to report bugs"

Or simply join the telegram group.

Peace.

Last edited:

PPCholic

Jan 3, 2008

• find "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /data f2fs nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,inlinedata,inlinexattr wait,check,fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts"

Magisk keeps crashing?
  • Turn off its "Check for update feature" and praise for the arrival of a new Magisk version.

How to report bugs

Boot problems:
  • Please do dump /splash2 partition and sys/fs/pstore content via adb pull in my TWRP.

Quirks on booted system:
or
  • adb logcat > file.txt

THAT WORKED. FINALLY 8.1 WITH BOOTLEGGERS GSI, 128GB micro SDXC as INTERNAL. I AM HAPPY

for beginners:
boot after working rom in twrp
go in advanced
go to file manager
go to /vendor/etc/
open file "fstab.hi6250" (after copying with and having a recovery of it, open with notepad++ or something else)
there should be a line with: "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /data f2fs nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,inlinedata,inlinexattr wait,check,fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts"
erase the part: ",fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts"
save
erase the original fstab.hi6250 file in vendor/etc
and put the new fstab.hi6250 file in
reboot in bootloader
flash stockrecovery.img
reboot recovery
factory reset in stock recovery
reboot
DONE.

now you can see the SD card as internal and use for apps.

Mister746

Jan 26, 2018
Need your help

Hey OP,

Thanks for all your work. Really a big fan.
There is a problem I've noticed on most of the treble roms. After using apps for a while, they begin to FC.

Love your roms and would like to continue using them

Dil3mm4

Mar 22, 2018
Hey OP,

Thanks for all your work. Really a big fan.
There is a problem I've noticed on most of the treble roms. After using apps for a while, they begin to FC.

Love your roms and would like to continue using them

Updated last post, please submit the infos needed via that form.
Thanks.

aciupapa

Feb 11, 2015
Puńsk
Hi, i am experiencing a weird bug on every GSI, specifically, snapchat video recording is fine and smooth, but after tapping on the "send" button it says "failed to add" and doesnt even give a chance to resend the same snap. It happens on all treble roms i've teted so far (i tested every specific GSI for PRA, and some openkirin and otger ones). @dill3m4 do you have any idea how to fix it? I hope there is a way to do a flashable zip or something like the NFC fix. Once i get back home (2-3 days) i will post some logs, in the meantime, can someone please confirm if the issue persists, and gather logs? ?

jedtan025

Jan 2, 2017
Just making sure but you are on emui8 right? Also are you checking with a file manager in Android or are you searching in twrp?

im searching in twrp bro. bro question. im using pra lx2 oreo firmware. and im wanna go back to nougat. it is possible? i got the firmware now but dont know how to flash nougat. dload failed. and i cant use hurupdarer bcos nougat firmware only has 2 zip file

Mister746

Jan 26, 2018
im searching in twrp bro. bro question. im using pra lx2 oreo firmware. and im wanna go back to nougat. it is possible? i got the firmware now but dont know how to flash nougat. dload failed. and i cant use hurupdarer bcos nougat firmware only has 2 zip file
I couldn't find the file using TWRP either. Had to use root explorer to find and edit the file. As for hurupdater, I'm not sure if it's the same for your region, but for pra-la1 there were 3 files.
And as for the the 2 files, I successfully flashed using the updater with only the update.zip so try updating anyway. If that doesn't work, use the eRecovery

cyprian99

Feb 8, 2017
Hello,
I'm having problems finding the download links in the guide to obtain Treble, I've searched here and clicked on the link to the guide but there i can't find it eather.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Preliminary operations/infos

First of all: what's Treble?

How do I obtain my bootloader unlock code?
    Huawei officially ceased the unlocking service.

How do I get Treble on my device?
    • At the moment of this write down, EMUI it's still in private BETA.
    • The only chance to obtain it it's to follow this guide CAREFULLY.

What if I want to revert to EMUI 8/5?
    • Follow the steps described in the guide to get treble on your device using EMUI 8 files if you want to revert to EMUI 8, or EMUI 5 if you wish to revert to it.

The road it's long...

So, you're sitting there, not understanding why there are so much ROMs in this section and why you shouldn't use the ones appearing in Treble-Enabled Device Development since you worked so hard to get Treble on it.
    Let's try to answer a universal question.

What's the difference from the "standard" GSIs and the ROMs in this section?

Well, the ROMs here were made keeping an eye on the "optimization per-platform" concept, basically tracking down some proprietary stuff inheriting them under /system .​

**WHAT FOLLOWS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS**

I honestly think, that we should cut off this approach.
    Inheriting stuff under /system has no more sense.

Am I saying that what I did till now had no sense?
    Yes.

The whole Treble concept relies on moving away from system, any vendor related stuff.
    So why in the hell should we inherit proprietary stuff in our system partition again?
    When we have other ways to don't mess with it?

The only stuff that still "deserves" to have something to do with /system it's the Huawei Camera.
    Everything else, belongs to /vendor.

Furthermore, our goal, as developers and users, should be to track down specific-platform bugs and report them.
    Co-operation is the sake of open-source and the key to success in a wonderful GSI experience for everyone.

If this isn't clear enough, please, check this contribution.

Magisk keeps crashing?
    From 16.6 version, Magisk it's fully working.
    Please, refer to this thread for a correct installation.

How to report bugs

Boot problems:
    • adb logcat > file.txt

Quirks on booted system:
    or
    • adb logcat > file.txt
    Is my device ready to use a "standard" GSI?
    Pretty much.
    Huawei doesn't ship any overlay under /vendor in our PRA, because it's inherited in EMUI under /system.
    But, you can follow this guide, to include the needed overlay to be fully GSI-ready.
    Also, you need this thread too to fix offline charging on your Huawei device.

Known Bugs on GSI and "specific-GSI"
    NFC has been an annoying issue all along the development process on some Huawei devices.
    But this flashable zip, seems to solve the issue on our PRA.
    Indeed it needs more testing.​

Available tools/software for your PRA

Specific-GSI available

Specific GSIs are now discontinued.
    Go to the Treble Enabled Development sub to get some ROMs to flash!

NOTE:
    This ROMs will be discontinued in a couple of weeks, since the installation of the overlay (previously highlighted in the paragraph "Is my device ready to use a "standard" GSI?") will give access to a full fledged GSI experience without the need of specific GSIs.

Custom kernels

Magisk keeps crashing?

How to report bugs

Boot problems:

Quirks on booted system:
    or
    • adb logcat > file.txt

THAT WORKED. FINALLY 8.1 WITH BOOTLEGGERS GSI, 128GB micro SDXC as INTERNAL. I AM HAPPY

for beginners:
    boot after working rom in twrp
    go in advanced
    go to file manager
    go to /vendor/etc/
    open file "fstab.hi6250" (after copying with and having a recovery of it, open with notepad++ or something else)
    there should be a line with: "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /data f2fs nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,inlinedata,inlinexattr wait,check,fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts"
    erase the part: ",fileencryption=aes-256-xts:aes-256-cts"
    save
    erase the original fstab.hi6250 file in vendor/etc
    and put the new fstab.hi6250 file in
    reboot in bootloader
    flash stockrecovery.img
    reboot recovery
    factory reset in stock recovery
    reboot
    DONE.

now you can see the SD card as internal and use for apps.
    Hey you!
    If you're reading this message I want you to help this community.

Share your thoughts about this posts or post your un-answered questions below.
    The more we share, the best experience we'll get.

Also, please respect my work.
    If you do integrate some of this infos in your thread/website or whatever, add me in the credits.

Furthermore, feel free to join us at @GSI_HI6250 on Telegram, we're funny people, I swear.

Is this non-clear somehow?
    Or you just need help?

Fill the help form below.
    Device Variant:
    Device Firmware:
    Is your device rebranded?:
    How frequently this issue happens?
    Is this happening now?
    Describe the issue:
    Describe steps to reproduce the issue:
    Attach logcats/full bugreports as described on the paragraph "How to report bugs"

Or simply join the telegram group.

Peace.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone