• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Air between Display

Search This thread

yabadabadooo

Dec 19, 2010
Hey guys,
Just recieved my Pixel 5.
I noticed that if you nod slightly in the midle of the Display it sounds like the Display has air under it.
Like a gap between the Display and the inside of the device.
If i squeeze the Display in the midle i notice that i can push it.. I dont know maybe a Millimeter?

I have also a pixel 4a and IT doesnt feel that cheap like the pixel 5.

Is it just my device or do you guys have the same issue?

Thx

17-apg

Jul 11, 2008
Belfast
I'm coming from a Samsung S10e and the screen of the pixel 5 seems plasticky when I tap it. The Samsung feels so much more solid.
Not sure about speakers though as the 5 has the one at screen top and one at bottom.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
The display sounds hollow. Probably another side effect of speakers or stuff behind the display that was hidden to make the screen bigger.

The Pixel 4 display wins in this area. Taps are solid unlike the Pixel 5.

I think I've used a Pixel 2 XL (not the smaller Pixel 2) and was also a hollow like the Pixel 5. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
The display sounds hollow. Probably another side effect of speakers or stuff behind the display that was hidden to make the screen bigger.

I think I've used a Pixel 2 XL (not the smaller Pixel 2) and was also a hollow like the Pixel 5. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what one teardown mentions. "There’s a driver under the display that actually makes that panel vibrate and transmit sound". That would definitely make the display sound funny when tapped.

eg1122

Oct 5, 2009
Roma, Tx
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Yep, pixel 2 also felt hollow.

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Yep, pixel 2 also felt hollow.
But not the smaller one. I still have that one and it's quite sturdy like the Pixel 4.
The 2XL was hollow, I remember when a friend bought one and I noticed that.

Anyway.. I couldn't be happier with the Pixel 5. And I'm glad Google reduced the € price from 750€~ to 600€~

So I can tolerate things like hollow display. But yeah. This makes the vibrations a bit worse.

Sent from my Pixel 5

Last edited:

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
But not the smaller one. I still have that one and it's quite sturdy like the Pixel 4.
The 2XL was hollow, I remember when a friend bought one and I noticed that.

Anyway.. I couldn't be happier with the Pixel 5. And I'm glad Google reduced the € price from 750€~ to 600€~

So I can tolerate things like hollow display. But yeah. This makes the vibrations a bit worse.

Sent from my Pixel 5
So your device has no gap correct?

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
So your device has no gap correct?

This would be a off-topic from my side:

I suppose you are assuming that because I said I couldn't be happier with the device.

Look, I don't have that terrible gap I've seen in some photos. But that doesn't mean there is no gap at all. It is uniform and if you look really really hard you can start to believe there is raise in the top left corner. But basically looks uniform on the 4 sides.

In summary: I can probably fit a "razor blade" if I try between the glass and the case.

But it doesn't bother me.

If you want to know what really bothered me about my pre-order: Is Google rejecting my pre-order gift because I shipped the phone outside UK using Amazon.co.uk. I knew it was a risk. But I have a lot of friends in UK that could had received the pre-order gift without an issue for me (and that was my plan). But they told me that because I decided to ship the phone outside UK then I'm automatically removed from the deal. Just didn't want to bother my friends to receive the phone (in case I needed to return it in the returning period OR in case I need to sent it for RMA and want to deal directly with Amazon).

I can still return the Pixel 5 with UPS and maybe order in the future for less money on deal (instead of 610£).
But I decided to keep it. The battery is amazing. And in the 4 it was very limited. Enough for most days but short for any heavy usage day.

If I have to compare the battery life with the 4. This feels like a phone with 5200-5600mAh. Because it almost lasts me the double.

What I really promised to myself is to never pre-order a Pixel again. I pre ordered many Nexus devices. The pixel 2, 4 and 5. This is it. No more pre orders.

Sent from my Pixel 5

Last edited: