Airtel Xstream Smart Box -> Vanilla AndroidTV

Search This thread
May 12, 2017
Kolkata
Someone please try this alternate method.

Instead of uninstalling all the three "airtel" apps, can you all try this method:
1) Sideload "Button Remapper" app to xsteam box.
2) Open the app through settings and remap any button (for example Netflix button) to open ATV Launcher.
3) Restart the box. When promp to recharge, just press the button remapped to ATV Launcher.
4) You should be able to launch any app using ATV Launcher.
Please someone try this and report whether this works or not.
Note- Someone please try to install the new Google Launcher (the launcher available on the newly launched Google TV) and say whether it works on xsteam box or not.
Also note- Instead of uninstalling the "airtel apps", try disabling them with this command: adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 <app package name> . So that people trying to revert to normal just have to re-enable them by using this command: adb shell pm enable <package_to_enable> .
I don't own a stream box and planning to buy one.

I just got the Airtel Xstream box, the model is 'Xstream_Smart_Box_001', Android v9, Patch Level 5th Sept 19, Kernel: 4.9.159-1-6pre, Release: hsw4026atl-1.0.9-19110817, build: ptt1.190228.001.1.0.9-19110817.

I got it a few hours ago and it wasn't even activated at that time.

Code:
1.) You need to enable developer options, enable usb debugging. 
2.) Then get adblink, connect to device IP. (You'll have to authorize on box first attempt)
3.) Click 'Uninstall APKs'-> Search "airtel", I saw 3 files.
4.) DO NOT UNINSTALL FROM GUI. 
5.) Click ADB Shell
6.) delete the com.airtel.tv last.
7.) This command to delete: pm uninstall -k --user 0 'App Name'

I installed an ATV Launcher, before deleting airtel packages. Install from GUI.

Remote still works, not all buttons work. Airtel Remote Smart app for phone works, the pointer still works. I've managed to install JioTV and have gotten it semi working. :)
edit- you can re-map remote buttons through an app,

All of this was done while the 'please recharge' prompt was on screen. Its easy to bypass, you have to get into settings to enable developer options. I did get stuck once, I used to mic on remote and asked it to open play store. If you get stuck, use the google assistant to get out of a screen.

This is what the box looks like:
airtel_xstream_box_full_1567416718472.jpg

After conversion:
B2MR6cr.jpg

UgSpVXV.jpg

Reactions: Avijit825

vgjaiswal

Jan 29, 2013
I tried many all options mentioned here. But one the best option is. Download"LAUNCH ON BOOT" application from TV playstore. There are 3 option after opening this apk. 1) Enable 2) Launch TV application on boot: Select ATV Launcher( If you have installed it before. If not install it. Then njoy your airtel set top box like normal set top box tv without opening it airtel Home page which normally opens every time.

Kaps

Sep 23, 2011
If we do this, we won't be able to use the box to watch DTH channels, right ? Is there a way wherein we can change the default launcher and still be able to watch DTH channels ?

Force replace default launcher ?

Gauravpreet

Nov 28, 2010
I used google live channels in the previous box " airtel internet tv" . It worked in that, but i don't know why it doesn't work in Xtreme box. You could try and let me know if it works at your end.

D

Deleted member 10649639

Live Channels somehow does not work for me too in recognizing channels from cable. If anyone manages to find a way to get linear TV without com.airtel.in let me know.

v.kinnar

Aug 16, 2020
Please post the detailed steps to install the Vanilla OS onto the xstream box. thanks in advance
There is not such OS like Vanilla.
Here the word is use to mention the simplicity in the modified installation. The will not being having any DVB functionality, but the box will function only as an android box.

Avijit825

Aug 13, 2017

Instead of uninstalling all the three "airtel" apps, can you all try this method:
2) Open the app through settings and remap any button (for example Netflix button) to open ATV Launcher.
3) Restart the box. When promp to recharge, just press the button remapped to ATV Launcher.
Note- Someone please try to install the new Google Launcher (the launcher available on the newly launched Google TV) and say whether it works on xsteam box or not.
Also note- Instead of uninstalling the "airtel apps", try disabling them with this command: adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 <app package name> . So that people trying to revert to normal just have to re-enable them by using this command: adb shell pm enable <package_to_enable> .
This one sounds like a pretty smooth plan....I plan to execute the same but if anyone has tried this method then plz share your feedback.

KARTHEEK063

Apr 1, 2018
I just got the Airtel Xstream box, the model is 'Xstream_Smart_Box_001', Android v9, Patch Level 5th Sept 19, Kernel: 4.9.159-1-6pre, Release: hsw4026atl-1.0.9-19110817, build: ptt1.190228.001.1.0.9-19110817.

Code:
2.) Then get adblink, connect to device IP. (You'll have to authorize on box first attempt)
5.) Click ADB Shell

Remote still works, not all buttons work. Airtel Remote Smart app for phone works, the pointer still works. I've managed to install JioTV and have gotten it semi working. :)

All of this was done while the 'please recharge' prompt was on screen. Its easy to bypass, you have to get into settings to enable developer options. I did get stuck once, I used to mic on remote and asked it to open play store. If you get stuck, use the google assistant to get out of a screen.

After conversion:
B2MR6cr.jpg

UgSpVXV.jpg
how to connect laptop with Xtreme box without usb connection for debugging? I have android studio installed and adb wifi plugin available as well. would need to know the missing steps. Thx

Last edited:

digitaltanish

• May 3, 2021
    India
    www.linktr.ee
    Okay!
    So now, there are so many new updates also, some people don't want to use adb, so there is an option to do it via FORCE STOP option, but some users complaint that this option is removed after the new update, still I have an option to get GOOGLE TV interface via adb, without any hassle,

Steps-:
    1. Download Google Launcher to your phone. 2. Disable Airtel xStream apk via adb (use remote adb shell app from PlayStore to connect to your Airtel xStream box)
    3. Now press Google Assistant Button and say open PLAYSTORE
    4. Now download send files to tv and fx file manager
    5. Now send google Launcher to tv. 6. Now press Google Assistant and say open fx manager.
    7. Now install google TV launcher. 8. Press home button and you are done!!

Also, if you want to understand this completely via video, then see this Airtel xStream Box: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ0YRCMs2DXI6hH3_lzXFw2jlATfaIv8T

Neeraj326

Apr 24, 2021
    My Xtreme box was working fine till 3 May 2021, but now it is not updating date and time automatically, thus Youtube, Hotstar etc don't run. tried to change date from DEVICE PREFERENCES but it is not allowed from there also. kindly suggest way out

digitaltanish

• May 3, 2021
    India
    www.linktr.ee
    My Xtreme box was working fine till 3 May 2021, but now it is not updating date and time automatically, thus Youtube, Hotstar etc don't run. tried to change date from DEVICE PREFERENCES but it is not allowed from there also. kindly suggest way out
    Try Resetting your device, and then when factory reset completes, then just disable airtel xStream app via adb, and get any launcher or Google TV launcher

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
      5.) Click ADB Shell

After conversion:
      B2MR6cr.jpg

UgSpVXV.jpg
      Could you please extract the Airtel xStream apk and share?
      i have pm me

Code:
      5.) Click ADB Shell

After conversion:
      B2MR6cr.jpg

UgSpVXV.jpg
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone