• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Alcatel TCL A502DL/A501DL root/custom recovery/custom roms?

Search This thread
Solution
Bump. I found some information, but unfortunately the instructions are not very clear. I assume lehmancurtis means to go to fastboot with the boot mode tool, and then flash the TWRP.img with adb. However, I am not sure if this is the right way to do things and I do not have adb drivers for the A501DL or A502DL.
adb and fastboot include a generic Google driver and the VCOM driver installer for mtk includes what you'll need. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
Follow the instructions on your device to unlock the bootloader. Then boot to system and reboot to fastboot with bootmode tool. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery...

lmgnsa

Mar 20, 2021
Use the boot mode tool from here for the a501dl. It definitely is unlockable! You can grab the TWRP.img I compiled for the a501dl from this link.
Bump. I found some information, but unfortunately the instructions are not very clear. I assume lehmancurtis means to go to fastboot with the boot mode tool, and then flash the TWRP.img with adb. However, I am not sure if this is the right way to do things and I do not have adb drivers for the A501DL or A502DL.

lehmancurtis

adb and fastboot include a generic Google driver and the VCOM driver installer for mtk includes what you'll need. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
Follow the instructions on your device to unlock the bootloader. Then boot to system and reboot to fastboot with bootmode tool. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot oem reboot-recovery
Then it should boot to TWRP. Be sure to format data f2fs to remove encryption so you can mount data.
And you will need to install Magisk from recovery to have root and keep. OEM recovery from replacing TWRP.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: sj78 and lmgnsa
Solution

lmgnsa

Mar 20, 2021
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot own reboot-recovery
Then it should boot to TWRP. Be sure to format data f2fs to remove encryption so you can mount data.
And you will need to install Magisk from recovery to have root and keep. OEM recovery from replacing TWRP.
Just to confirm:
To prevent the OEM recovery from replacing TWRP, I have to flash Magisk.
If I flashed a gsi, would this problem still be present?

edit: if I wanted to flash a gsi, would I be able to flash "A" only roms, "AB" only roms, or A/AB roms?

edit2: @lehmancurtis plz help me 🥺

Last edited:

fliproc

Mar 26, 2021
Thanks for the reply! I tried this tool, along with adb commands, etc., and I just can't even get fastboot. This would be an AWESOME phone, if not for this dumb crap!! The phone I had before this one is a Z717VL, and it sucks as well. They are both Tracfone phones that were given to me by my wife. I think I'll just get a Galaxy S8 or so and just root it instead. All other phones that I had on Verizon in the past have been super easy... just a One-Click-Root. Thanks everyone for your time and help!

sj78

Mar 30, 2021
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot own reboot-recovery

Use a tool that controls bootmode. Mtk-mode-selector
Are you sure the method you thought of works? The bootmode tool you linked cannot get the A501DL to fastboot mode, it just says "waiting port" forever.

mickeybeats

Dec 15, 2015
St. Louis
LG G8
Reactions: lehmancurtis

sj78

Mar 30, 2021
Make sure to install the MTK VCOM drivers first, the android drivers from google or samsung will not work!
I was able to bootloader unlock my Alcatel 3T 8, even being on tmobile using the boot selector tool
I have already installed the MTK VCOM drivers multiple times, I don't know why it still doesn't work.

lehmancurtis

T
Just to confirm:

edit: if I wanted to flash a gsi, would I be able to flash "A" only roms, "AB" only roms, or A/AB roms?

edit2: @lehmancurtis plz help me

To keep recovery from being replace several files need to be disable (various approaches are effective i.e. removed, replace, or renamed). Magisk usually handles this task, but sometimes there are exceptions. But, you need to address that before flashing gsi's for multiple reason and none are fun to deal with. Yes, this is A only and does not use A/B update method (at least not entirely as a few partitions are making use of the A/B partition labels). I've not been doing much with this particular device since mine was cracked and the usb port messed up when I got it, so nature took its course before I was able to achieve a fully stable custom setup.

Last edited:

lehmancurtis

I cannot get to fastboot even if I follow these steps... @williamhancock328` @lehmancurtis

It still says "waiting port" forever.
It sometime takes a few tries to get the phone and tool to do what its supposed to, but if you get the waiting message start over until the program reboots the device. It will work, it's just not a perfect process.

Reactions: sj78

lehmancurtis

Just to confirm:

You need to modify a few files. It's almost just like the 5059 devices and you can look up the 5041c thread to see what needs edited. Use the fstab.mt6739 from the 5041c.

lehmancurtis

Here's the tool. I think some of the links to it got messed up. Make sure you turn on developer options and check that oem unlock is ticked as well as adb usb options. Once in fastboot, issue the following
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
Follow the instructions on the device. Then boot into system and complete setup so that you can turn on developer options again since your device was just reset. Boot to fastboot once again and issue these.
Code:
fastboot flash recovery ./recovery.img
Code:
That should be the custom recovery you just installed. It will be replace on reboot if steps are not taken. I was in the process of working this issue when my beat up a501dl succumbed to its varied and multiple impact injuries. If I can find the time to repair it I will finish where I left off, but in the mean time I will help as much as I can.

Last edited:

Hitti2

I've got a A501DL, I enabled usb debugging and oem unlock, seems like the A501DL in fastboot does not talk with the pc, i've installed so many driver things its crazy butat fastboot when typing fastboot reboot bootloader, it reboots the phone but it skips fastboot and turns on to my home screen, I used volume up and power, I get in fast boot butthe device isnt being detected by windows 10 64 bit. Also in fast boot there is only
reboot system now
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
power off

im going nut that fastboot isnt working with this device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a screenshot of the error I'm getting https://gyazo.com/77940c6dc66ba36d24bf9a289babd225
    If I paste in a username and password that's different from those credentials which you said were correct, I get this error instead https://gyazo.com/b9f5f3dc407b360fcdfb52e24a4a838d
    I got sugar from here and downloaded the newest version
    I've never seen either of those errors. But, I have a message when I start mine that says forbidden version lol. I'll get it linked asap.
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    Code:
    fastboot erase recovery
    Make sure to install the MTK VCOM drivers first, the android drivers from google or samsung will not work!
    I was able to bootloader unlock my Alcatel 3T 8, even being on tmobile using the boot selector tool
    I cannot get to fastboot even if I follow these steps... @williamhancock328` @lehmancurtis

It still says "waiting port" forever.
    It sometime takes a few tries to get the phone and tool to do what its supposed to, but if you get the waiting message start over until the program reboots the device. It will work, it's just not a perfect process.
    Just to confirm:

You need to modify a few files. It's almost just like the 5059 devices and you can look up the 5041c thread to see what needs edited. Use the fstab.mt6739 from the 5041c.
    Here's the tool. I think some of the links to it got messed up. Make sure you turn on developer options and check that oem unlock is ticked as well as adb usb options. Once in fastboot, issue the following
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    Follow the instructions on the device. Then boot into system and complete setup so that you can turn on developer options again since your device was just reset. Boot to fastboot once again and issue these.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery ./recovery.img
    Code:
    That should be the custom recovery you just installed. It will be replace on reboot if steps are not taken. I was in the process of working this issue when my beat up a501dl succumbed to its varied and multiple impact injuries. If I can find the time to repair it I will finish where I left off, but in the mean time I will help as much as I can.