• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Alcatel TCL A502DL/A501DL root/custom recovery/custom roms?

Search This thread

lmgnsa

Mar 20, 2021
Is there any way to get root/custom recovery/custom roms on the A502DL or A501DL? If so, how?

Solution
Bump. I found some information, but unfortunately the instructions are not very clear. I assume lehmancurtis means to go to fastboot with the boot mode tool, and then flash the TWRP.img with adb. However, I am not sure if this is the right way to do things and I do not have adb drivers for the A501DL or A502DL.
adb and fastboot include a generic Google driver and the VCOM driver installer for mtk includes what you'll need. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
Follow the instructions on your device to unlock the bootloader. Then boot to system and reboot to fastboot with bootmode tool. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot oem reboot-recovery
Then it should...
sweet, i got a few a501dls to test it out once youre ready
not going good, I'm getting secureboot failure and nothing boots but twrp. mtkclient doesn't write vendor or system. Nor dumps system. Confused, bootloader says unlocked, unsure how to proceed

Update: Somehow booting again and got rid of encryption in the process

Last edited:

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
not going good, I'm getting secureboot failure and nothing boots but twrp. mtkclient doesn't write vendor or system. Nor dumps system. Confused, bootloader says unlocked, unsure how to proceed

Update: Somehow booting again and got rid of encryption in the process
nice, looks like youre making good progress, was gonna ask if you had flashed an empty vbmeta

nice, looks like youre making good progress, was gonna ask if you had flashed an empty vbmeta
there is no vbmeta on this device. if you would like to continue helping me test stuff, please contact me on Telegram since it's live and much quicker to post test stuff and talk easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is no vbmeta on this device. if you would like to continue helping me test stuff, please contact me on Telegram since it's live and much quicker to post test stuff and talk easier.
@PizzaG
As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to your post, you or this thread. For this reason the reference to Telegram has been removed. Please refrain from sharing of social media links or attempts to drag members to them in future. Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Reactions: Badger50
@PizzaG
As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to your post, you or this thread. For this reason the reference to Telegram has been removed. Please refrain from sharing of social media links or attempts to drag members to them in future. Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Mod

:poop:(y):poop:

as a side note, to my recollection, there is no dev in this thread doing anything with this device except me, so I fail to see how your quote to rule 5 pertains to this thread. Seems to me this is just a random thread about a random device. What you are essentially doing is cutting off everyone from test releases and general info about this device in favor of forcing people to stay on your site. I get it but I feel that goes against the whole dev community. But that's fine anyways, it is not worth my time to try and fight XDA mods over outdated rules and regulations and sharing my time and energy, I'm scrapping this project... My personal dev routine is to hop on XDA and see what's available for a device, I contact all threads related and drop some info and a link to my TG group. Once I get a tester I usually put out several test releases/bug fixes and then at that point, I will go ahead and make my own xda post for said device with mostly tested releases. I honestly can't be bothered with the slow trickle of info and chat that you find with a forum as my personal time is important to me and I don't have alot of it to sit around waiting for responses and feedback and such. Again, I understand you XDA Mods are trying to keep people on your site but I seriously can't relate and at what point does this not become Bullying?

Last edited:

Figlet

Aug 7, 2016
Little Rock
I have one that's almost functional, it boots if I 'reboot to bootloader', but I locked up the normal boot process by trying factory reset from settings instead of twrp, so now force boots to recovery.

Does anyone know which file to delete in order to stop the factory reset when invoked from settings menu? I've googled it and can't find anything, but I know there's a file that either needs to be modified or deleted and it will no longer try to boot to recovery/factory-reset

Thanks!

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
I have one that's almost functional, it boots if I 'reboot to bootloader', but I locked up the normal boot process by trying factory reset from settings instead of twrp, so now force boots to recovery.

Does anyone know which file to delete in order to stop the factory reset when invoked from settings menu? I've googled it and can't find anything, but I know there's a file that either needs to be modified or deleted and it will no longer try to boot to recovery/factory-reset

Thanks!
$ adb shell :/ $ su :/ # mount -o rw,remount / :/ # cd system/ :/system # mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.p.bak :/system # mount -o ro,remount /

Figlet

Aug 7, 2016
Little Rock
$ adb shell :/ $ su :/ # mount -o rw,remount / :/ # cd system/ :/system # mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.p.bak :/system # mount -o ro,remount /
Yes, I had already tried that, to no avail. Also, I flashed the lk image found in the a501dl.zip package, and now I might be bricked pretty hard, but I'll use mtk-tools and see if I can restore the factory lk.img, if anyone has it, or if lk2.img is the same kind of like the old bootloader backup partitions

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
Yes, I had already tried that, to no avail. Also, I flashed the lk image found in the a501dl.zip package, and now I might be bricked pretty hard, but I'll use mtk-tools and see if I can restore the factory lk.img, if anyone has it, or if lk2.img is the same kind of like the old bootloader backup partitions
there is an lk2 you can backup and restore to your lk partition

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @PizzaG

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Mod

:poop:(y):poop:

as a side note, to my recollection, there is no dev in this thread doing anything with this device except me, so I fail to see how your quote to rule 5 pertains to this thread. Seems to me this is just a random thread about a random device. What you are essentially doing is cutting off everyone from test releases and general info about this device in favor of forcing people to stay on your site. I get it but I feel that goes against the whole dev community. But that's fine anyways, it is not worth my time to try and fight XDA mods over outdated rules and regulations and sharing my time and energy, I'm scrapping this project... My personal dev routine is to hop on XDA and see what's available for a device, I contact all threads related and drop some info and a link to my TG group. Once I get a tester I usually put out several test releases/bug fixes and then at that point, I will go ahead and make my own xda post for said device with mostly tested releases. I honestly can't be bothered with the slow trickle of info and chat that you find with a forum as my personal time is important to me and I don't have alot of it to sit around waiting for responses and feedback and such. Again, I understand you XDA Mods are trying to keep people on your site but I seriously can't relate and at what point does this not become Bullying?
    Bump. I found some information, but unfortunately the instructions are not very clear. I assume lehmancurtis means to go to fastboot with the boot mode tool, and then flash the TWRP.img with adb. However, I am not sure if this is the right way to do things and I do not have adb drivers for the A501DL or A502DL.
    adb and fastboot include a generic Google driver and the VCOM driver installer for mtk includes what you'll need. Once in fastboot...
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    Follow the instructions on your device to unlock the bootloader. Then boot to system and reboot to fastboot with bootmode tool. Once in fastboot...
    Code:
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot oem reboot-recovery
    Then it should boot to TWRP. Be sure to format data f2fs to remove encryption so you can mount data.
    And you will need to install Magisk from recovery to have root and keep. OEM recovery from replacing TWRP.
    Make sure to install the MTK VCOM drivers first, the android drivers from google or samsung will not work!
    I was able to bootloader unlock my Alcatel 3T 8, even being on tmobile using the boot selector tool
    I cannot get to fastboot even if I follow these steps... @williamhancock328` @lehmancurtis

It still says "waiting port" forever.
    It sometime takes a few tries to get the phone and tool to do what its supposed to, but if you get the waiting message start over until the program reboots the device. It will work, it's just not a perfect process.
    ya, it has a few fstab issues I need to fix for mounting external sd and usb-otg. I'm working on Custom Stock now that kills encryption and other security to get ready for GSI Roms

Testing Custom Stock Rom now
    I built for this one a while back and I think everything works. I will post asap.