Alcatel TCL A502DL/A501DL root/custom recovery/custom roms?

Search This thread

lmgnsa

Mar 20, 2021
Is there any way to get root/custom recovery/custom roms on the A502DL or A501DL? If so, how?

Solution
Bump. I found some information, but unfortunately the instructions are not very clear. I assume lehmancurtis means to go to fastboot with the boot mode tool, and then flash the TWRP.img with adb. However, I am not sure if this is the right way to do things and I do not have adb drivers for the A501DL or A502DL.
adb and fastboot include a generic Google driver and the VCOM driver installer for mtk includes what you'll need. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot oem unlock-go
Follow the instructions on your device to unlock the bootloader. Then boot to system and reboot to fastboot with bootmode tool. Once in fastboot...
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot oem reboot-recovery
Then it should...
Yeah @PizzaG I really don't understand that either. Most devs and contributors on T-Gram are fron XDA. The two platforms have long supported each other as you know. Seems like a very arbitrary rule.
I did have a question for you good sir if you might have a moment. Which partition images need to be flashed to the A509DL in order to initiate a network unlock? Thanks
Nicely put, don't you enjoy when others decide things for you...

971shep

Apr 11, 2022
I corresponded with TCL about unlocking the bootloader. The email contains no content claimed as priviledged by TCL:

Subject: RE: Re: CRM:0026000020023 - I want to unlock the Bootloader
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:39:00 +0000
To: "XXX SSS" <[email protected]>
Message-ID: <[email protected]D.OUTLOOK.COM>

[-- Autoview using w3m -I 'utf-8' -T text/html -dump --]
I see. I am sorry, we do not provide steps to unlocking the bootloader, this is
the first step to rooting the phone, and this is not encouraged by us.

There are probably better, inexpensive devices to purchase as a learning tool for Android development.
Which brings up an idea; a thread on inexpensive devices for android development.

I corresponded with TCL about unlocking the bootloader. The email contains no content claimed as priviledged by TCL:

There are probably better, inexpensive devices to purchase as a learning tool for Android development.
Which brings up an idea; a thread on inexpensive devices for android development.
As @PizzaG and many other members have recently brought to light, devices like the TracFone TCL A3 have long been unsupported for rooting, due to the perma-locked state of the bootloaders. Newer development projects like MTK Client have provided a long-awaited exploit for unofficially unlocking the bootloaders on many of these MediaTek-powered phones and tablets. For many years past, this simply was not a possibility. TCL/Alcatel is among the ever growing list of device makers that do not support official bootloader unlocking support. Now, thanks to the genius and determination of the development community, we no longer need the official support of the manufacturers. Have you been able to get your TCL bootloader unlocked?
Regarding your ideology for inexpensive device development support, the Android General forums here on XDA provide a ton of resources for cheap phones and tablets.

971shep

Apr 11, 2022
As @PizzaG and many other members have recently brought to light, devices like the TracFone TCL A3 have long been unsupported for rooting, due to the perma-locked state of the bootloaders. Newer development projects like MTK Client have provided a long-awaited exploit for unofficially unlocking the bootloaders on many of these MediaTek-powered phones and tablets. For many years past, this simply was not a possibility. TCL/Alcatel is among the ever growing list of device makers that do not support official bootloader unlocking support. Now, thanks to the genius and determination of the development community, we no longer need the official support of the manufacturers. Have you been able to get your TCL bootloader unlocked?
Regarding your ideology for inexpensive device development support, the Android General forums here on XDA provide a ton of resources for cheap phones and tablets.
I applaude the resourcefulness of the developers but to me the fundlemental issue is that Android at it's core, is an opensource, linux based project. Plus it is my phone I should be able to use it as I see fit. Maintaining a list of unfriendly phones will apply some economic pressure to those manufacturers.

I also do not think the blame falls squarely on mediatek. The Cudy AC2100 is a MT7621 based router that comes with an older version of OpenWRT out of the box. The company also provides more recent OpenWRT releases on it website for download. People buy this router specifically because of it's open OpenWRT roots and Cudy seems to know it.

Mediatek also supplies development boards with their new chips which bundle OpenWRT source code. If you review linux kernel changelogs, developers with mediatek.com email addresses make frequent code contributions.
I think the barriers are demanded by the vendors who are trying to milk the subscriptions for as long as they can. TCL has been legaly obliged to supply source code under the GPL. They appear to do so grudginly and wait as long as legally possible before publishing the code.
TCL Mobile source code

Reactions: Viva La Android

PhobosAnomaly

Jun 15, 2022
Here is the A502DL stock recovery and boot img/bin files and magisk patched boot bin/img and TWRP recovery also

I flashed TWRP and it appears to be working fine, however flashing the modified boot.bin made it ask for a password upon launching the bootloader. After factory resetting and going through setup, Magisk does indeed show up, but Wi-Fi and Bluetooth stopped working, and an error keeps popping up saying that Bluetooth has stopped. Is there a way around this? Sorry if the answer is obvious, this is my first time rooting a phone.

Edit: I used the boot.bin from the backup I made and the Magisk app to create a new boot.bin and now it's working perfectly fine. Either there are some slight differences between our phones that caused it to not work or I simply just botched the first install.

Last edited:
I applaude the resourcefulness of the developers but to me the fundlemental issue is that Android at it's core, is an opensource, linux based project. Plus it is my phone I should be able to use it as I see fit. Maintaining a list of unfriendly phones will apply some economic pressure to those manufacturers.

I also do not think the blame falls squarely on mediatek. The Cudy AC2100 is a MT7621 based router that comes with an older version of OpenWRT out of the box. The company also provides more recent OpenWRT releases on it website for download. People buy this router specifically because of it's open OpenWRT roots and Cudy seems to know it.

Mediatek also supplies development boards with their new chips which bundle OpenWRT source code. If you review linux kernel changelogs, developers with mediatek.com email addresses make frequent code contributions.
I think the barriers are demanded by the vendors who are trying to milk the subscriptions for as long as they can. TCL has been legaly obliged to supply source code under the GPL. They appear to do so grudginly and wait as long as legally possible before publishing the code.
TCL Mobile source code
I couldn't agree with you more. It amazes me at the number of OEMs who brazenly disregard or refuse to comply with the GNU GPL on releasing source code. I have been in a back-and-forth email war with both Nokia and NUU for the past two months over this very topic. Both device makers concede that they are not obliged under GPL 2.0 to provide source code. In a fortunate manner for timing, I recently earned my Juris Doctorate from UK, so I'm planning on bringing suit against both companies if the requested source code is not made accessible to me by the first of July. Having researched the applicable caselaw recently, I was encouraged in learning that US courts have been consistent in issuing injunctions to enforce the GPU mandates under which device makers are bound. Litigation is time consuming and tedious, so I hope that I do not have to file suit; unfortunately, however, it appears that neither OEM will freely provide the requested source code. As a courtesy, I am submitting an email/letter of intent to the CEOs of both device makers later tonight, placing them both under notice that I'll be bringing suit in 14 days in the event the noncompliance persists. Perhaps this will be the catalyst for a fruitful resolution.
Ironic that you mentioned a Cudy router. I've got the Cudy LT500 4G/LTE router (MediaTek MT7621) and love it. Not only does it allow me to circumvent my carrier's data throttling, it also appears do be compatible with any Verizon or GSM-based SIM card.
Anyway, regarding the a502dl, I have a question that I'm hoping that you, or other members, may be able to answer. When using MTK Client to unlock the phone, I am unsure of how to boot the device into BROM mode, so that the software client can recognize and communicate with my phone. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:

971shep

Apr 11, 2022
I couldn't agree with you more. It amazes me at the number of OEMs who brazenly disregard or refuse to comply with the GNU GPL on releasing source code. I have been in a back-and-forth email war with both Nokia and NUU for the past two months over this very topic. Both device makers concede that they are not obliged under GPL 2.0 to provide source code. In a fortunate manner for timing, I recently earned my Juris Doctorate from UK, so I'm planning on bringing suit against both companies if the requested source code is not made accessible to me by the first of July. Having researched the applicable caselaw recently, I was encouraged in learning that US courts have been consistent in issuing injunctions to enforce the GPU mandates under which device makers are bound. Litigation is time consuming and tedious, so I hope that I do not have to file suit; unfortunately, however, it appears that neither OEM will freely provide the requested source code. As a courtesy, I am submitting an email/letter of intent to the CEOs of both device makers later tonight, placing them both under notice that I'll be bringing suit in 14 days in the event the noncompliance persists. Perhaps this will be the catalyst for a fruitful resolution.
Ironic that you mentioned a Cudy router. I've got the Cudy LT500 4G/LTE router (MediaTek MT7621) and love it. Not only does it allow me to circumvent my carrier's data throttling, it also appears do be compatible with any Verizon or GSM-based SIM card.
Anyway, regarding the a502dl, I have a question that I'm hoping that you, or other members, may be able to answer. When using MTK Client to unlock the phone, I am unsure of how to boot the device into BROM mode, so that the software client can recognize and communicate with my phone. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I have not done anything beyond dumping the OEM rom using mtkclient and starting to educate myself on building vaious components. The phone will be carrier unlocked in about 3 weeks at which point I will be more agreesive.

As far as the GNU/GPL code. In the U.S., a pivotal case was won against Linksys. They had a series of wrt54 routers and a hacker discovered that one of them was running Linux. Linksys resisted but lost in court and did eventually release the Broadcom based source. This spawned the LEDE and Openwrt projects. Another project DD-wrt, benefited. Broadcom kept some aspects like firmware propriatary and the DD-wrt developers signed an NDA and set up a business model developing high end broadcom based images.

Last edited:
I have not done anything beyond dumping the OEM rom using mtkclient and starting to educate myself on building vaious components. The phone will be carrier unlocked in about 3 weeks at which point I will be more agreesive.

As far as the GNU/GPL code. In the U.S., a pivotal case was won against Linksys. They had a series of wrt54 routers and a hacker discovered that one of them was running Linux. Linksys resisted but lost in court and did eventually release the Broadcom based source. This spawned the LEDE and Openwrt projects. Another project DD-wrt, benefited. Broadcom kept some aspects like firmware propriatary and the DD-wrt developers signed an NDA and set up a business model developing high end broadcom based images.
Yes indeed. Free Software Foundation, Inc. v. Cisco Systems, Inc., (SDNY, 2009), although settled out of court by Cisco/Linksys, set an informal precedent with regard to the GNU GPL obligation of mobile device manufacturers who utilize and distribute open source software. Cisco was wise to settle. It is inevitable they would have lost at trial, which would have resulted in an even more costly outcome.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @PizzaG
    As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to your post, you or this thread. For this reason the reference to Telegram has been removed. Please refrain from sharing of social media links or attempts to drag members to them in future. Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Mod

:poop:(y):poop:

as a side note, to my recollection, there is no dev in this thread doing anything with this device except me, so I fail to see how your quote to rule 5 pertains to this thread. Seems to me this is just a random thread about a random device. What you are essentially doing is cutting off everyone from test releases and general info about this device in favor of forcing people to stay on your site. I get it but I feel that goes against the whole dev community. But that's fine anyways, it is not worth my time to try and fight XDA mods over outdated rules and regulations and sharing my time and energy, I'm scrapping this project... My personal dev routine is to hop on XDA and see what's available for a device, I contact all threads related and drop some info and a link to my TG group. Once I get a tester I usually put out several test releases/bug fixes and then at that point, I will go ahead and make my own xda post for said device with mostly tested releases. I honestly can't be bothered with the slow trickle of info and chat that you find with a forum as my personal time is important to me and I don't have alot of it to sit around waiting for responses and feedback and such. Again, I understand you XDA Mods are trying to keep people on your site but I seriously can't relate and at what point does this not become Bullying?
    Here is the A502DL stock recovery and boot img/bin files and magisk patched boot bin/img and TWRP recovery also

TCL Mobile source code
    adb and fastboot include a generic Google driver and the VCOM driver installer for mtk includes what you'll need. Once in fastboot...
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    Follow the instructions on your device to unlock the bootloader. Then boot to system and reboot to fastboot with bootmode tool. Once in fastboot...
    Code:
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot own reboot-recovery
    Then it should boot to TWRP. Be sure to format data f2fs to remove encryption so you can mount data.
    And you will need to install Magisk from recovery to have root and keep. OEM recovery from replacing TWRP.
    Just to confirm:
    To prevent the OEM recovery from replacing TWRP, I have to flash Magisk.
    If I flashed a gsi, would this problem still be present?

edit: if I wanted to flash a gsi, would I be able to flash "A" only roms, "AB" only roms, or A/AB roms?

edit2: @lehmancurtis plz help me 🥺
    Make sure to install the MTK VCOM drivers first, the android drivers from google or samsung will not work!
    I was able to bootloader unlock my Alcatel 3T 8, even being on tmobile using the boot selector tool