• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

All About Official Gionee M2 And Development

finance.resat

Apr 24, 2012
Dhaka
You have to use this Chinese app for proper root access in kitkat, use the right side option of the popup window to give root permission. And use tick for permanent permission. Green means permanent access. LOL Damn that Chinese app! Anyways use that root master 1.0.2 its the easiest.

Attachments

Reactions: nandakalyan

anisharsenal

Jun 7, 2014
Yup, mine is an 8 GB model too....so it should definitely work. I rooted and got rid of all the useless bloat....still didn't like the cartoonish UI much, so installed the aosp ROM....but once you get the CWM working from the above method, it's up to you :) to stick to KK AMigo UI or try something available here...if u get stuck, ping me

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

I hated the silly Amigo UI, so flashed the aosp rom immediately after....my back up phone (Iris) is under repair, give it a couple of days and I will do this for you guys again :) a rooted CMW back up of KitKat ROM
Can you upload AOSP rom atleast. Does all features works perfectly in AOSP? Especially Frontcamera

nandakalyan

May 13, 2012
Bangalore
Can you upload AOSP rom atleast. Does all features works perfectly in AOSP? Especially Frontcamera
I am making the KK rom itself, got my back up phone to run....just been crazy busy at work so not able to take time for this. I will upload the rooted KK rom, pls give me a day or two :)

PS: The front cam is not working in the AOSP rom, but i really don't use the front camera that much, plus i like the understated looks and UI of the AOSP Rom than the clunky amigo. Thats why i stuck to AOSP.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Thanks For Your Contribution! Thread Updated!

Sent from my M2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
My pleasure....thanks to you too for starting this thread, now we have a place to discuss our phone in XDA! Kudos!

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Guys complete root method of root of gionee m2 Kitkat version install cwm and other Mods find here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2870396
i think this app is a hit or a miss bro, it failed on my stock KK firmware dloaded from Gionee site :( i restarted the phone and root was gone, second time it kept saying "try again"...flashed back the AOSP image now....but this should also be added in the main page under root methods since it is working for some users

cool_ravi78

Dec 27, 2012
noida
Guys rooting method updated with snapshot of gionee m2...
Many guys successfully rooted their device u now we try to fix xposed framework error and others error maded after updating to kk... This is our thread... If u want root successfully without any technical knowledge try this page

Also we r updating others mods for m2 refresh that page daily ... And everytime u find something new related to m2
Or u can ask any query related to m2 in that thread our group trying to help u as soon as possible

nandakalyan

May 13, 2012
Bangalore
Another Rooting Method & Rooted KK CWM Backup

Things are moving and fast! Here is the simplified guide to permanently root and install CWM Touch Recovery for KK (method 3 posted by cool_ravi78)

What you need:
1. Stock KK firmware from Gionee site - HERE
2. CWM Touch Recovery for M2 - HERE
3. CWM Flashable SuperSU zip - HERE
....and of course, drivers for your phone to be identified by your PC / Laptop - HERE

Step 1:
Download the KK Firmware from Gionee site and extract the files

Step 2:
Replace the recovery.img in the firmware files extracted with the CWM recovery.img (for safety, change the original firmware file name to recovery1.img and copy the CWM recovery.img into the folder)

Step 3:
Flash the firmware using "Firmware Upgrade" method like you normally do in SP Flash Tools, wait for it to complete

Step 4:
Boot up the phone, copy the CWM Flashable SuperSU zip to your sd-card/internal storage and power off the phone

Step 5:
Boot into CWM recovery by holding Power+Vol Up keys and flash the zip....Voila! Rooted

Step 6:
Reboot the phone and you will see SuperSU app

I rebooted my phone multiple times to see if root persists, it does. Installed Titanium Backup to check if root access works, works just fine. Only issue I faced is that when I boot into recovery to flash something, CWM throws an alert saying "Root Access May have been lost". So I clicked the "Yes, Fix it" option and it does it. Root access still exists after reboot.

Some of you asked...so here is the CWM back up (not a flashable zip) of the rooted KitKat OS of M2 8 GB using method 3. Untouched Stock OS, rooted and Titanium BackUp installed. Just copy the folder in the zip into "backup" folder in "clockworkmod" folder of your sd-card/internal memory and restore from CWM recovery.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V-1B1qTxR-dEliWnZHQXJDRms/edit?usp=sharing

DO NOT RESTORE THIS BACK UP ON A 4 GB MODEL, IT WILL BRICK THE DEVICE. If you have a 4GB phone, use the above guide or follow one of the others in this thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

anisharsenal

Jun 7, 2014
I am making the KK rom itself, got my back up phone to run....just been crazy busy at work so not able to take time for this. I will upload the rooted KK rom, pls give me a day or two :)

PS: The front cam is not working in the AOSP rom, but i really don't use the front camera that much, plus i like the understated looks and UI of the AOSP Rom than the clunky amigo. Thats why i stuck to AOSP.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

My pleasure....thanks to you too for starting this thread, now we have a place to discuss our phone in XDA! Kudos!

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

i think this app is a hit or a miss bro, it failed on my stock KK firmware dloaded from Gionee site :( i restarted the phone and root was gone, second time it kept saying "try again"...flashed back the AOSP image now....but this should also be added in the main page under root methods since it is working for some users
Thanks mate. Take your own time

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Things are moving and fast! Here is the simplified guide to permanently root and install CWM Touch Recovery for KK (method 3 posted by cool_ravi78)

What you need:
1. Stock KK firmware from Gionee site - HERE
2. CWM Touch Recovery for M2 - HERE
3. CWM Flashable SuperSU zip - HERE
....and of course, drivers for your phone to be identified by your PC / Laptop - HERE

Step 1:
Download the KK Firmware from Gionee site and extract the files

Step 2:
Replace the recovery.img in the firmware files extracted with the CWM recovery.img (for safety, change the original firmware file name to recovery1.img and copy the CWM recovery.img into the folder)

Step 3:
Flash the firmware using "Firmware Upgrade" method like you normally do in SP Flash Tools, wait for it to complete

Step 4:
Boot up the phone, copy the CWM Flashable SuperSU zip to your sd-card/internal storage and power off the phone

Step 5:
Boot into CWM recovery by holding Power+Vol Up keys and flash the zip....Voila! Rooted

Step 6:
Reboot the phone and you will see SuperSU app

I rebooted my phone multiple times to see if root persists, it does. Installed Titanium Backup to check if root access works, works just fine. Only issue I faced is that when I boot into recovery to flash something, CWM throws an alert saying "Root Access May have been lost". So I clicked the "Yes, Fix it" option and it does it. Root access still exists after reboot.

Some of you asked...so here is the CWM back up (not a flashable zip) of the rooted KitKat OS of M2 8 GB using method 3. Untouched Stock OS, rooted and Titanium BackUp installed. Just copy the folder in the zip into "backup" folder in "clockworkmod" folder of your sd-card/internal memory and restore from CWM recovery.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V-1B1qTxR-dEliWnZHQXJDRms/edit?usp=sharing

DO NOT RESTORE THIS BACK UP ON A 4 GB MODEL, IT WILL BRICK THE DEVICE. If you have a 4GB phone, use the above guide or follow one of the others in this thread.

Explained clearly:good:
The backup that you have uploaded wont work for me as mine is 4gb model. Thanks anyways.
Will USB otg work after KK update

dhanmohan

Aug 22, 2014
i have already rooted my phone...but when i update recovery img with mobile uncle tool...its not booting into recovery mode..what to do?

cool_ravi78

Dec 27, 2012
noida
Bro u can go recovery mode by just pressing Power button + down volume button and also through mtk uncle tools if u want to see how u can view our thread.. One more thing guys we put lot of efforts to work on gionee m2 to making mod and makes it good we r the first who find how to root gionee m2 and Install clockwork recovery as u can see don't go on rumor u can see our thread and subscribe it's new but u can see its the most active thread for m2
Every query solved within 12hour..
And for root see our thread and user Comments
One more thing guys if u root using sp flash tools some good apps don't work like titanium rom toolbox... So if u r happy with that than u can root through sp flash tool

As u can see we r working on many thing soon u find that in our thread

One more thing don't Forget to hit thanks if in anyway our group help u this will encourage us for further development
This is our thread link

Last edited:

Admrrrrr

Jul 7, 2014
A bug in KK

(4 GB variant)
After KK update, the total space in phone internal memory allocated is 300 MB. I cannot copy any file into it, or create a new file in the phone internal memory using ES file manager and most of other file explorers. But the inbuilt file manager can copy/create without any problem. My device is rooted, and the problem exists before and after rooting, both.

net8

Feb 18, 2012
(4 GB variant)
After KK update, the total space in phone internal memory allocated is 300 MB. I cannot copy any file into it, or create a new file in the phone internal memory using ES file manager and most of other file explorers. But the inbuilt file manager can copy/create without any problem. My device is rooted, and the problem exists before and after rooting, both.

You can use this tool: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jrummy.sdfix

It worked for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Admrrrrr