All File Explorers return android/data folders are empty

Search This thread

coukou

Jul 24, 2008
Hello,

I am using S20 Ultra with the latest original Samsung Android 11 as well as the file explorers: My Files (samsung), Total Commander, MiX and CX explorer.

To this day I have always had access to files in android/data from the SD card and / or internal memory.

Today the android/data folders in the SDcard and internal memory are showing that they are empty although I'm sure they should be there. I think that the latest android 11 version installed had to hide these system files, and I can't find the option to make these folders and files visible.

Could you tell me how to RE-display all my folders/files?
Thanks for your help

Same question. You can access them with Total Commander in Windows 10. But if you upload some files in a map, they often aren't complete or missing. So you always have to check if copies are there in the maps you want them to be.
If not you have them copy seperately to the wanted map. Cost a lot of time.

Fullmetal Jun

Sep 10, 2013
Camp Kidney
To this day I have always had access to files in android/data from the SD card and / or internal memory.

Thanks for your help

Unfortunately it's because of Android 11. Don't know why Google did that. U can only access the files using the built in default Google file manager. U can use Nova launcher shortcuts to access it or use this app which is a shortcut to it https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.files

It's a real pain to move files etc using it, but there's currently no alternatives

Knotte

Nov 19, 2012
Munich
I don't think it's because of Google, it's because the stock Samsung ROM is by default encrypting the data partition. The only way to get rid of it is to flash a custom ROM and wipe data in TWRP before flashing the ROM. But I don't think that's an option here.

dalanik

Mar 25, 2009
Prague
I don't think it's because of Google, it's because the stock Samsung ROM is by default encrypting the data partition. The only way to get rid of it is to flash a custom ROM and wipe data in TWRP before flashing the ROM. But I don't think that's an option here.
Samsung had encryption prior to Android 11. And the data folder was visible. so it is either Android 11 thing or One UI 3.1 thing.

Knotte

Nov 19, 2012
Munich
Samsung had encryption prior to Android 11. And the data folder was visible. so it is either Android 11 thing or One UI 3.1 thing.
Ok. On my HTC U11 with LOS 18.1 (A11) data was visible, so maybe they just fixed it in LOS and it's a Google thing indeed. I am on OneUI 3.0 and data is invisible too, so it's not a OneUI 3.1 only thing.

Goliboster

Aug 18, 2017
Hello,

I am using S20 Ultra with the latest original Samsung Android 11 as well as the file explorers: My Files (samsung), Total Commander, MiX and CX explorer.

Today the android/data folders in the SDcard and internal memory are showing that they are empty although I'm sure they should be there. I think that the latest android 11 version installed had to hide these system files, and I can't find the option to make these folders and files visible.

Thanks for your help
Hi I use Solid explorer payed version and it opens android/data folder. It is android who blocked access to the data folder for privacy reasons. But with Solid explorer i can access it. I'm also using S20 Ultra with latest one ui 3.1 update.

You can move files from and to the data folder via this app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-163755_Solid Explorer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-163755_Solid Explorer.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:

Ozharu

Mar 13, 2021
Hola, el otro dia tuve el mismo problema en un samsung galaxy tab s7 con android 11. La solucion fue desinstalar la actualizacion de archivos.apk . Despues de desinstalarla ya me daba la opcion de dar permisos de lectura. espero que os sirva.

Yo utilizo la aplicacion cxexplorer

Translation:
Hello, the other day I had the same problem on a samsung galaxy tab s7 with android 11. The solution was to uninstall the update from com.google.android.documentsui After uninstalling it, it already gave me the option to give read permissions. I hope it helps you.

I use the cxexplorer application

Last edited:

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
I read about this a few weeks ago and it said access is blocked in A11 but you can still access them via PC USB

coukou

Jul 24, 2008
Hi all and TNX for yr experience sharing,

Since February this year, Samsung offer a system update... So, since February I've Android 11. I discover that Android 11 android/data folder access denied.

Here is some information gleaned from the web and my sahring experience.
Managing files in the "Android/data" folder on Android 11 as well as the latest version of TotalCommander, MiX Explorer and CX Explorer have access to Internal Memory android/data/ folder but NOT to SD-Card android/data/ folder.
In addition, I have access to Internal memory/android/data folders through computer connexion. But still, the access to SD card/android/data folders is denied.

Also, I've installed TomTom Navigator GPS on Android 10 and the maps (>6GB) in the SD-card. I updated the maps several time without problem. Since February this year, after system update to android 11, due to the denial of access to SD-CARD android/data, TomTom can no longer update the maps.

On the other hand, my wife who has an A51 (android 10) and uses the same applications as me with the same application configuration can update TomTom maps , while I CANNOT.

I'll appreciate any help

meekspace

Feb 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
The main app I use I can download music and videos and store 60GB or more. The app will store the media to internal or sdcard Android/data. Before I could use vlc to access the sdcard, now I cannot.
This change has made the tablet next to useless for my needs.
Has there been any progress with a solution?

bansku5

Aug 11, 2021
I really hope this gets solved soon. I had all my chrome downloads on my SD card in com.chrome.android. And now I have no access to them...

ydhainaut

Apr 17, 2007
No write access with One UI 4.0 (android 12) for internal Storage\Android\Data
Tested with:
- Distant access (USB Connection with a PC)
- Es Explorer 4.2.4.5
- Solid Explorer 2.8.16
- Files By Googles

ungern

Jul 9, 2020
Tested with:
- Es Explorer 4.2.4.5
- Solid Explorer 2.8.16
- Files By Googles
I could connect via USB, and see folder contents under obb, and upload a file used as backup restore.
However, drag&drop asked if I want to overwrite, but both the original file and the one overwriting disappeared from the phone. Pulled the USB, connected again, used ctrl+C ctrl+V on Win10, and it wrote to the folder.

This is on an S21 with Android 12, Feb update.

Reactions: ydhainaut

ydhainaut

Apr 17, 2007
I could connect via USB, and see folder contents under obb, and upload a file used as backup restore.
However, drag&drop asked if I want to overwrite, but both the original file and the one overwriting disappeared from the phone. Pulled the USB, connected again, used ctrl+C ctrl+V on Win10, and it wrote to the folder.

I don't really know what I did, maybe your manipulation, but it works now :)
only with Solid Explorer. (I can read and Write into Android\Data Folder with Solid Explorer under Android 12 Samsung Tab S7+)
I tried again after that with Es File Explorer (last version known : 4.2.9.2.1_15033) but always blocked

Reactions: ungern

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for your help

Unfortunately it's because of Android 11. Don't know why Google did that. U can only access the files using the built in default Google file manager. U can use Nova launcher shortcuts to access it or use this app which is a shortcut to it https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.files

It's a real pain to move files etc using it, but there's currently no alternatives
    Tested with:
    - Es Explorer 4.2.4.5
    - Solid Explorer 2.8.16
    - Files By Googles

I don't really know what I did, maybe your manipulation, but it works now :)
    only with Solid Explorer. (I can read and Write into Android\Data Folder with Solid Explorer under Android 12 Samsung Tab S7+)
    I tried again after that with Es File Explorer (last version known : 4.2.9.2.1_15033) but always blocked