[All-In-One] Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred): Unlock BL, Flash TWRP, Root, Flash ROM

Search This thread

AMKhatri

Jul 19, 2013
Dar es salaam, Tanzania
Thanks for this awesome guide. Just used it to unlock my phone and install custom recovery.

I had to use orange fox recovery instead of TWRP which was asking me to decrypt even though I had no passwords set, and I didn't have an SD Card nor OTG.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Thanks for this awesome guide. Just used it to unlock my phone and install custom recovery.

I had to use orange fox recovery instead of TWRP which was asking me to decrypt even though I had no passwords set, and I didn't have an SD Card nor OTG.

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
Thread cleaned

Please do not advertise or discuss remote unlock services as it violates the FORUM RULES especially those:

13. Advertising and Income Generation
Commercial advertising, advertising referral links, pay-per-click links, all forms of crypto-mining and other income generating methods are forbidden. Do not use XDA-Developers as a means to make money.

If you come across this just hit the report button and let the mods handle it, do not respond or become part of such a discussion:good:
Thank you for your cooperation and have a nice day!

strongst
Forum Moderator

Reactions: drnightshadow

afolabi95

Apr 7, 2020
Hello, I need help, I need root my redmi to recover a folder that I deleted. So there is a chance to root my Redmi without wipe all the data? because it will nosense root the mobile to recovery something that it would be wipe.

Thanks a lot

tanjil12

Aug 2, 2020
Will this method work for note 5 (chinese rom)?

Though it is codenamed Whyred I'm confused because you said it is for note 5 global. My rom is chinese. :crying:

ihatethus

Sep 5, 2019
Hello, a long time ago I rooted my phone, but now it is kinda laggy and I want to do a factory reset on it.

My question is, will the root be removed? What is the safest way to factory reset a rooted phone?

I also would like to install the newest rom version if possible, mine is probably outdated since the phone is asking for updates.

Sidgup1998

Jan 11, 2020
Hello, a long time ago I rooted my phone, but now it is kinda laggy and I want to do a factory reset on it.

My question is, will the root be removed? What is the safest way to factory reset a rooted phone?

I also would like to install the newest rom version if possible, mine is probably outdated since the phone is asking for updates.
If ur phone is rooted then it must have unlocked bootloader ( magisk technique ).
Proper way of install newest rom is to flash a full fastboot Rom (11.0.3.0 for global/indian whyred).
Download fastboot rom and flash tool then flash (keeping bootloader lock/unlock is ur wish)
Cheers!

Reactions: ihatethus

ihatethus

Sep 5, 2019
If ur phone is rooted then it must have unlocked bootloader ( magisk technique ).
Proper way of install newest rom is to flash a full fastboot Rom (11.0.3.0 for global/indian whyred).
Download fastboot rom and flash tool then flash (keeping bootloader lock/unlock is ur wish)
Cheers!

Hi, thank you so much for your reply.
Yes, my bootloader is unlocked.
So all I need to do is download a custom recovery and a rom, then I flash the recovery and install the rom from the recovery?
I already have a custom recovery download, but I can't find the most recent rom link. Could you please provide me it?

Thank you again!

Sidgup1998

Jan 11, 2020
Hi, thank you so much for your reply.
Yes, my bootloader is unlocked.
So all I need to do is download a custom recovery and a rom, then I flash the recovery and install the rom from the recovery?
I already have a custom recovery download, but I can't find the most recent rom link. Could you please provide me it?

Thank you again!
Do u want to flash custom rom(s) or u just want to use stock miui rom with bootloader unlocked?
If its first case then:
1.Download orange fox recovery
2.Put yr phone in fastboot mode (power + vol down btn)
3.open adb folder (download 15s adb Installer from Google)
4.press shift on keyboard then right click anywhere inside the folder of adb
5.type fastboot devices, ur phone serial number will show up
6.type fastboot boot (drag and drop recovery.img which u will find in recovery zip file) and press enter
7. To make recovery permanent flash orange fox zip file after recovery is booted.

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

Do u want to flash custom rom(s) or u just want to use stock miui rom with bootloader unlocked?
If its first case then:
6.type fastboot boot (drag and drop recovery.img which u will find in recovery zip file) and press enter
7. To make recovery permanent flash orange fox zip file after recovery is booted.
For latest stock rom go to Xiaomi firmware updater website and u will find latest rom (miui)

Reactions: ihatethus

ihatethus

Sep 5, 2019
If its first case then:

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

For latest stock rom go to Xiaomi firmware updater website and u will find latest rom (miui)

It's the second, I want to install the latest official mi rom. I already found it, thank you.
So I need to follow the steps above and then flash the rom I just downloaded via orange fox?

SMILEVN

Sep 23, 2014
Đà Nẵng
I already installed usb driver for Redmi Note 5 from the link you gave but The MiUnlock Software always sad "Phone not connected".
Could someone help me :( :(

sathishob

Jul 25, 2015
Hi sir

Sorry for asking this because already this was discussed but I need some more clarification so I am asking again.

I am using rwdmi note 5 pro whyred and rooted my phone long back and working with aosp extended Android 10 rom.

It was fine and cool... but saw the update on aosp site and tried to upgrade with android 11 and I am stuck.

Through fast boot mode I had flashed twrp 3.5.1 but I couldn't boot into recovery mode... mi symbol is standing still and I couldn't see the internal storage files on PC.

Please help me to resolve this... and thanks a lot in advance for your help

Samama Ali

Jul 14, 2021
Hello Good sir,
I followed all the steps properly and tried to flash corvus os cutom rom but in the first boot, it's constantly stuck in logo. Same goes with when I tried explorer x rom( it was stuck at logo in first boot). What could be the problem here and how can I resolve it?

Hello Good sir,
I followed all the steps properly and tried to flash corvus os cutom rom but in the first boot, it's constantly stuck in logo. Same goes with when I tried explorer x rom( it was stuck at logo in first boot). What could be the problem here and how can I resolve it?
Did you wipe all (dalvik/chache, system, data, internal storage)? Use SD CARD to flash. First boot can take 10-15 min.

daquiz

Sep 29, 2015
Hello forum. Is this still working up to now? How do i know if my device is supported? I mean i know that my device is Redmi Note 5 but i am not sure if it is global or indian variant.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Redmi Note 5 user,

This guide is suitable for the international version: Redmi Note 5, and the Indian version: Redmi Note 5 Pro!

I'm not responsible if anything happens to your device. If you execute this procedure properly then you shouldn't face any problems. I tried this procedure on several Redmi Note 5 and every time it worked flawlessly. I used a computer with Windows 10.

Before you proceed please back up all your important data and make sure that your phone battery is charged >80%!!!

A. Prerequisites:

1. Disable driver signature enforcement in Windows

How to do this pls read here: http://en.miui.com/thread-237673-1-1.html

2. Install ADB and Fastboot tools with drivers on Windows

How to do this pls read here: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Restart your computer.

3. Enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" in your device

a. Enable Developer Options in: Settings/About Phone/MIUI version. Click on MIUI version seven times
    b. Now go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options and check "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging"

4. Check if your bootloader is locked

a. After successful installation of "ADB and Fastboot" enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer via USB cable (best would be the original cable).
    b. Go to the folder where you have put the "ADB and Fastboot" and open a command window inside that folder. To do that hold together "Shift + Right Click" on any empty white space inside the folder and then select "Open PowerShell Window Here" or "Open Command Window Here"
    c. Enter the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot devices<<

If you don't see your device it means that the drivers weren't installed properly or the device wasn't connected properly. If this happens please reinstall your drivers from Point A. 2. or try these drivers here:

http://xiaomiadvices.com/download-xiaomi-usb-drivers/

d. If you see your device then enter the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot oem device-info<<

If your bootloader is locked, you'll get the following status (or something similar):

…………………………………………………………………….
    (bootloader) Device tampered: false
    (bootloader) Device unlocked: false
    (bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
    (bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
    (bootloader) Display panel:
    OKAY [ 0.058s]
    finished. total time: 0.063s
    ………………………………………………………………………

If your bootloader is unlocked, you'll get following status (or something similar):

…………………………………………………………………….
    (bootloader) Device tampered: false
    (bootloader) Device unlocked: true
    (bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
    (bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
    (bootloader) Display panel:
    OKAY [ 0.053s]
    finished. total time: 0.055s
    ………………………………………………………………………

5. Request Permission from Xiaomi to Unlock the Bootloader

a. Create a Mi Account: https://global.account.xiaomi.com/pass/register
    b. Sign to Xiaomi and apply for unlocking http://en.miui.com/unlock

You have to give a reason for requesting to unlock the bootloader. I gave following reason on my request:

"I purchased my Xiomi Redmi Note 5 from the vendor xxx and they have installed a fake (custom) rom. I want to install an original rom from Xiaomi. So please approve my request to unlock the bootloader."

c. Wait for permission. I have 5 different accounts approved by Xiaomi and the longest I had to wait for the approval of each account was 1 day. Most of the users are reporting the same, however very few users are reporting a waiting time of up to 10 days . If your request is approved then you should receive a message with following content:

"You've been granted the permission to unlock your device (Mi Account xxxx). Donload Mi Unlock Tool At http://en.miui.com/unlock"

6. Connect your Mi Account to your Device

Go to: Settings/Additional Settings/Developer Options/Mi Unlock status and check "Add account and device"

In case you face "86006 Error" and you cannot connect your Mi Account to your device: There are several solutions offered at Mi Forum but the easiest way is to download the rom Developer Version for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred) here http://en.miui.com/download-342.html or Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred) here http://en.miui.com/download-341.html.

a. Put the downloaded rom into internal memory of the device
    b. Go to: Settings/About phone/System update. On the upper right corner there are three points, click them, select "Choose update package", select "File Manager" and choose the Developer Version package you just downloaded on your internal memory and press OK.

B: Unlock the Bootloader

Attention: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all your data! So please back up your data before you unlock the bootloader!

1. You must enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB debugging" as per point A. 3.
    2. You must connect your Mi Account with your device as per point A. 6.
    3. Download Mi Unlock Tool here: http://en.miui.com/unlock
    4. Enter the fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer via USB cable (best would be the original cable)
    5. Start the Mi Unlock Tool
    6. Enter your eMail and your password of your Mi Account
    7. Connect you device to your computer and start the unlock procedure
    8. Follow the unlock tool instructions until the unlock procedure is finished
    9. Reboot your device

P.S.: In case you get the message, that the unlocking can be done after 360h or 720h then you have to wait for that time to pass.

C: Install the TWRP Recovery

1. Your bootloader must be unlocked
    2. Download the latest "twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img" from here: https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomiredminote5pro.html and put it into a dedicated folder in your computer.
    3. Go to the folder where you have put the twrp-file. Now open a command window inside that folder. To do that hold together "Shift + Right click" on any empty white space inside the folder and then select "Open PowerShell Window Here" or "Open Command Window Here"
    4. Enter fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer
    5. Enter the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img<<. Attention: Do not restart your device otherwise Xiaomi's original recovery might overwrite the custom recovery TWRP!
    6. Boot your device into recovery (3 possible methods)
    + by entering terminal command in command line: >>fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img<<, or
    + by holding together "Volume Up + Power" until you see the MI logo, release "Power" button but keep pressing "Volume Up" until you see the recovery, or
    + by holding together "Volume Up + Volume Down + Power" until you see recovery

If you only want to root your smartphone, then please continue to point E.
    If you want to install a custom rom, then please continue to point F.

E. Root Your Smartphone

+ Donwload latest Magisk from here: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
    + Put Magisk into internal memory of your smartphone or into the micro sd-card or into on-the-go memory stick
    + Flash Magisk
    + Restart your smartpphone

F. Install A Custom Rom

1. Download the desired rom and put it into device's internal memory or into the micro sd-card or into on-the-go memory stick:

a. Lineage

https://download.lineageos.org/whyred

b. Resurrection Remix

https://get.resurrectionremix.com/?dir=whyred

c. AospExtended

https://downloads.aospextended.com/whyred

2. (in case you want to have root on your device) Download "addonsu-arm64-signed.zip" (for Lineage: https://download.lineageos.org/extras) or latest Magisk (from here: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445) and put it into device's internal memory
    3. Download Google Apps ARM64, Pico, Nano etc. at www.opengapps.org and put them into device's internal memory or computer or on-the-go memory stick or micro sd-card.
    4. Enter recovery mode:
    + by holding together "Volume Up + Power" until you see the MI logo, release "Power" button but keep pressing "Volume Up" until you see the recovery, or
    5. Wipe: Dalvik / Art Cache; System; Data; Cache; (be careful, don't wipe internal storage!)
    6. Go back to main TWRP screen and install the rom, install Google Apps, install "addonsu-arm64-signed.zip" (in case of Lineage) or the latest Magisk (in case of other roms).
    7. Reboot. That's it, you are done.

If my guide helped you please click "thanks" and enjoy your phone. :fingers-crossed:
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Question:

My computer doesn't recognize my device. What can be the problem?

Answer:

1. Check your cable if it is the original one, and if not then use the original one.
    2. Check you drivers if they are installed properly and if not, then re-install them.
    3. If the problem is not with point 1 and 2 then please try another computer.

Question:

Can I bypass the waiting time to unlock the bootloader?

Answer:

No you can't. You have to wait for that time to pass.
    Ready to unlock bootloader. Just one question:

Wipe all the data from phone is still necessary? Is there a way to avoid that? Because i come to understand that unlocking brings the phone to factory settings pretty much..
    Unlocking will wipe not only your data but also all the internal storage
    Is there any reason one should choose Magisk over SuperSU to root their Redmi Note 5 running MIUI 9.6.3.0? I always liked SuperSU because it offered a quick and dirty way to determine if your device is successfully rooted or not (if it shows up in apps, it's rooted, if not, it's not).
    SuperSu was great in the old days but it was then sold to a shady company, and now in fact is no longer developed. Don't install it. LineageOS provides their own add-on su, you can use it instead: https://download.lineageos.org/extras

Magisk has some advantages over the traditional approach: (1) it can survive system updates; (2) it keeps the system image intact, which allows passing CTS attestation (aka SafetyNet), (3) it does not interfere with OTA updates on stock ROMs, (4) it is open source (SuperSu wasn't), (5) it is being frequently updated, (6) it comes with the ability to install additional modules that enable a variety of functions, and the whole process is much simpler for the general user: in particular, it's much easier to undo any changes to recover from an unbootable system.

Whether any of the above is relevant to your situation is another matter, you have to decide for yourself. But, for the record, Magisk comes with an app (Magisk Manager), which also tells you whether it is properly installed, and the app also lets you grant su permissions on a per-app basis, with toggles for notifications and logging.
    I want to root only just for adblocking and vanced YouTube, do I need to flash lazyflasher even after flashing magisk. Shouldn't flashing magisk make twrp permanent?

It should actually. Nevertheless try this:

1. Your bootloader must be unlocked
    2. Download the latest "twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img" from here: https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomiredminote5pro.html and put it into a dedicated folder in your computer.
    3. Go to the folder where you have put the twrp-file. Now open a command window inside that folder. To do that hold together "Shift + Right click" on any empty white space inside the folder and then select "Open PowerShell Window Here" or "Open Command Window Here"
    4. Enter fastboot mode by holding together "Volume Down + Power" and connect your device to your computer
    5. Enter the terminal command in command line: >>fastboot flash recovery twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img<<. Attention: Do not restart your device otherwise Xiaomi's original recovery might overwrite the custom recovery TWRP!
    6. Boot your device into recovery (3 possible methods)
    + by entering terminal command in command line: >>fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img<<, or

Download the latest OrangeFox twrp (in ZIP-Format) from here:

https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-5-pro/development/twrp-orangefox-recovery-project-t3837547

and put it into your internal memory of the smartphone (in recovery mode you can transfer files from computer to internal memory of the smartphone!)

Now go to twrp main screen, flash the the Zip-File of OrangeFox twrp. This will make the OrangeFox twrp permanent.

For me too was important to have root in my MIUI rom (so that I can install AdAway, Titanium, Tweaked YouTube etc.) and also be able to install MIUI incremental updates. Currently I'm using OrangeFox twrp and it works perfectly fine.