All my music and pictures on my Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite is randomly removed all the time, how can I solve this?

Search This thread

Googole

• I've a Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite, but all my music and pictures get randomly removed all the time and then I need to download them again.
    I don't remove them myself for clarity.
    I guess the cleaner app removes it but there is no option to add them to exceptions and there is also no option to turn off auto clean.
    This is a very annoying problem and I'm tired to download all my music and pictures over and over again so how can I solve this?

User699

Feb 28, 2021
    I've a Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite, but all my music and pictures get randomly removed all the time and then I need to download them again.
    I guess the cleaner app removes it but there is no option to add them to exceptions and there is also no option to turn off auto clean.
    This is a very annoying problem and I'm tired to download all my music and pictures over and over again so how can I solve this?
    Maybe your device has something like "storage manager" active?
    Go into settings and then storage, see if you find something suspicious.

Reactions: blackhawk

User699

Feb 28, 2021
    Removing Cleaner didn't solve my problem.
    I download my music from Google Drive and all music downloaded from there is gone now.
    The songs that I didn't download from Google Drive aren't removed.
    The most of the pictures are removed too, but some didn't.
    Well If so, have a look at gdrives settings.
    Also: Are gdrive files in another folder than those not being removed?

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Could be malware... you know odd behavior.
    The OS or an app may have been corrupted.
    A factory reset be a good idea at this point.
    Self destructing files aren't normal.

Is it just Google stuff that's vaporizing?
    If so maybe deleting/recreating your Google account might solve it.
    I'm leaning towards a full nuke of that OS though.

I don't trust Google with any of my data management other than Gmail. I backup and load everything from the SD card, flash stick and hdds.

Reactions: User699

User699

Feb 28, 2021

I don't trust Google with any of my data management other than Gmail. I backup and load everything from the SD card, flash stick and hdds.
    True, could be malware.
    A malware checking app would be a first step. If you can run adb on your computer you can check for modifications made on the file system (as you operate as "shell" instead of "root" (unless you are rooted) you won't be able to read everything. Actually you'll get "access denied" very often. But if you find system directories/files with another date then the 'standard recovery date' this could be a sign for malicous activity)

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    True, could be malware.
    A malware checking app would be a first step. If you can run adb on your computer you can check for modifications made on the file system (as you operate as "shell" instead of "root" (unless you are rooted) you won't be able to read everything. Actually you'll get "access denied" very often. But if you find system directories/files with another date then the 'standard recovery date' this could be a sign for malicous activity)
    There's another possibility, a malware jpeg.
    I ran into two in the last 15 years, one a year ago on my N10+. Downloaded from a site into the download folder it corrupted many files in that folder. Some only had damage to the file name and were easily repairable, some were not.
    Deleted all I couldn't repair or was in doubt about especially the tainted jpeg.
    If that jpeg would have been moved to another folder the same thing would have happened.

The only way to stop this type of malware is to find the infected jpeg. It may not show up on many or any virus/malware scans. I found this one because I noticed the damage immediately after viewing it in downloads. If one one these gets in your database they are little nightmare. One reason I keep downloads in the Download folder for examination, especially jpegs, are these little nasties.
    Not real common but they're out there.

• Wow
    Reactions: User699

Googole

• Could be malware... you know odd behavior.

I've done a factory reset earlier but it didn't solve the issue.
    All music and the most of the pictures downloaded from Google Drive are removed all the time.

Googole

• True, could be malware.
    I'll check for malware and I'll let you know what the results are.

Googole

• There's another possibility, a malware jpeg.
    I ran into two in the last 15 years, one a year ago on my N10+. Downloaded from a site into the download folder it corrupted many files in that folder. Some only had damage to the file name and were easily repairable, some were not.
    Deleted all I couldn't repair or was in doubt about especially the tainted jpeg.
    If that jpeg would have been moved to another folder the same thing would have happened.

The only way to stop this type of malware is to find the infected jpeg. It may not show up on many or any virus/malware scans. I found this one because I noticed the damage immediately after viewing it in downloads. If one one these gets in your database they are little nightmare. One reason I keep downloads in the Download folder for examination, especially jpegs, are these little nasties.
    Not real common but they're out there.

All my pictures are in the .jpg format

TheFixItMan

• Jul 8, 2012
    London
    Create a folder in the root directory (not in any other folder) of your storage

In this folder create another two folders - one for music & one for pictures

Move all pictures & music to these folders

This will eliminate sync from apps deleting anything as they shouldn't have access to these folders

If they are still being deleted after this then the user is telling an app to delete them (intentionality or unintentionally)

Googole

• Create a folder in the root directory (not in any other folder) of your storage

In this folder create another two folders - one for music & one for pictures

Move all pictures & music to these folders

This will eliminate sync from apps deleting anything as they shouldn't have access to these folders

If they are still being deleted after this then the user is telling an app to delete them (intentionality or unintentionally)
    Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it and let you know what the result it.

User699

Feb 28, 2021
    I've downloaded MalwareBytes, scanned my phone but it didn't find any malware @blackhawk
    Since you said you did a factory data reset there must be an app somewhere which is responsible for that.

I would check Google Drive – I don't even have a google account so I can't check it, but maybe GDrive is deleting files automatically.

Is it ONLY GDrive files being deleted?

Googole

• Since you said you did a factory data reset there must be an app somewhere which is responsible for that.

I would check Google Drive – I don't even have a google account so I can't check it, but maybe GDrive is deleting files automatically.

Is it ONLY GDrive files being deleted?
    I've checked the Google Drive settings but I couldn't find anything related to the problem.
    Only files downloaded from Gdrive are deleted.
    Files downloaded from other places aren't deleted.

User699

Feb 28, 2021
    I've checked the Google Drive settings but I couldn't find anything related to the problem.
    Only files downloaded from Gdrive are deleted.
    Files downloaded from other places aren't deleted.
    And GDrive downloads them into Downloads folder?
    If not you could try to move these things into another folder and see whether they will be deleted again or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I've a Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite, but all my music and pictures get randomly removed all the time and then I need to download them again.
      Maybe your device has something like "storage manager" active?
      Go into settings and then storage, see if you find something suspicious.
      Uninstall or disable cleaning app... you really need to play with your device more.
      That cleaner app sounds more like malware🤣
      Removing Cleaner didn't solve my problem.
      I download my music from Google Drive and all music downloaded from there is gone now.
      The songs that I didn't download from Google Drive aren't removed.
      The most of the pictures are removed too, but some didn't.
      Well If so, have a look at gdrives settings.
      Also: Are gdrive files in another folder than those not being removed?

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone