ALL Note 7 will be bricked by early 2017. Some earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I* agree innocent people have got hurt, it's not cool to hold onto something that can injure and burn possibly cause deaths...when there's a nationwide hell, worldwide pretty much recall on something I feel it's the responsible thing to do and follow the methods of switching devices but some don't feel that way so they in turn decide to take the chance but that chance could very possible injure someone else too like say if one exploded and caught something on fire that hurt innocent people which may have happened already but I think it's been more personal injuries as of yet, leg burn from it being in pocket etc.

And I'm, just posting what I read, it's not to rub in anyone's face. Anyone who knows me from XDA knows I'm not that type of person whatsoever. This is simply to let people know that a change is coming that will be forced on them if they have a Note 7 still....they can take that for what they want.

Fas

After the IMEI blocking and kill updates are completed only hard core techies will still be able to use their Note7's. Laypeople don't have the skills and patience to muck around with the s/w and IMEI to keep the phone functioning. That'll leave a handful of people clinging to a phone that, in most people's minds including Samsung's, doesn't really exist. Nougat for the S7 Edge literally ports the Note7's s/w features over so the only thing missing will be the iris scanner, S Pen, and USB C. Shortly after the S8 will be announced with even more new h/w and s/w features than the Note7 had. Maybe then the Note7 can be left to rest in peace. Fewer and fewer people are posting less and less in this forum. That's a harbinger of things to come.

sonhy

Apr 23, 2006
It's not over until they block the imei, and even then, I'll attempt to change that too before I give up. I'll keep it until the Note 9 if I can.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
its never gonna be over y'all, just send me your note7 in a note 5 case and box look a like and ill do the same.... we will all have note 7s with internationally mixed imei numbers that makes it impossible for any single telco to block all notes ever made.

postal staff are not paid to thoroughly check the difference between a note 5 and a note 7, i could have flown with my note 7 last month, security read out the warning but never once did they care to double check my note 3 and 4.

Plus flash a custom rom, root and change the build prop model number to an s7 edge and your good as gold.

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
Time's running out FAS. I note you changed your thread title and what you've been saying.

First it was "Every Note will be bricked before and by 2017".
and
"ALL Note 7 will be bricked by 2017. Some earlier".

Now "ALL Note 7 will be bricked by early 2017. Some earlier"?

Well they won't be bricked here in the UK in 11 days time, I can tell you that much. Your prediction was wrong, and even after you edited it, it remains wrong.

Actually, I shouldn't really call it a prediction. "Troll attempt" would be a better description. Or "failed troll attempt" maybe even better.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

After the IMEI blocking and kill updates are completed only hard core techies will still be able to use their Note7's. Laypeople don't have the skills and patience to muck around with the s/w and IMEI to keep the phone functioning. That'll leave a handful of people clinging to a phone that, in most people's minds including Samsung's, doesn't really exist. Nougat for the S7 Edge literally ports the Note7's s/w features over so the only thing missing will be the iris scanner, S Pen, and USB C. Shortly after the S8 will be announced with even more new h/w and s/w features than the Note7 had. Maybe then the Note7 can be left to rest in peace. Fewer and fewer people are posting less and less in this forum. That's a harbinger of things to come.

Got to laugh at that. "only" hahahahahhahaha. Like the same bike, "only" with no wheels.

Oh, and you forgot the 64GB vs 32GB. And the screen size. And the cosmetic appearance (don't like the S7 Edge rounder corners).

But other than that, yes it's identical. Like Cameron Diaz is identical to Oprah Winfrey. Apart from the body. And the face. And...

Last edited:
Reactions: YOSEFE

tonymy01

Aug 15, 2010
Sydney
Oh, and you forgot the 64GB vs 32GB. And the screen size. And the cosmetic appearance (don't like the S7 Edge rounder corners).

But other than that, yes it's identical. Like Cameron Diaz is identical to Oprah Winfrey. Apart from the body. And the face. And...

Lol, fully agree, this S7E is definitely a downgrade, that is for sure.
I had many gig of Oculus VR stuff installed on the N7, it is nearly all not able to go to external SD, just half of that is sucking my S7E internal storage dry :(.
I had a 32G N4 that was beginning to fill the internal storage (and the 128G external..) upgrading to the N4 was great with 64G finally, now my reluctant downgrade to S7E gives me no better storage than my N4 had :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
Lol, fully agree, this S7E is definitely a downgrade, that is for sure.
I had many gig of Oculus VR stuff installed on the N7, it is nearly all not able to go to external SD, just half of that is sucking my S7E internal storage dry :(.
I had a 32G N4 that was beginning to fill the internal storage (and the 128G external..) upgrading to the N4 was great with 64G finally, now my reluctant downgrade to S7E gives me no better storage than my N4 had :(

I do actually like the S7E (apart from the rounded corners) and the spec isn't terrible, it's just a big downgrade on what I have already.

But the thing the stops me from going the S7E route is that I would be locked in to a 2 year contract with a phone that will be replaced with an S8 in 10 weeks time. If Samsung had got their ****ing act together and offered an upgrade to an S8 as part of the Note7 return program, I would have returned my N7 ages ago.

I'm disgusted that here in the UK, on the same tariff, the S7E is just as expensive as the N7, yet it has half the storage, smaller screen, no iris scanner, no S-pen and no usb-c. I am NOT putting up with an old phone for £42/m for 2 years, when I am only paying £42/m for my Note7.

Reactions: BubZX

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
http://gizmodo.com/verizon-will-brick-the-galaxy-note-7-after-all-1790158297
AND
https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/241190-major-us-carriers-agreed-brick-remaining-note-7-devices

I agree with this. I know that the holdouts who haven't replaced their note sevens love their phone but it's irresponsible to keep a phone that could potentially cause harm to innocent bystanders as well and it's really their duty to turn in such a defective device like they've been asked many times. There are several promos and even rumors of a free upgrade so there's no excuse for having a note 7 in your possession and holding out and still using it when it's obviously caused injury and forced planes to land etc etc well now you're going to have to or you'll own a brick. Don't get caught with no service I'd trade in soon...it's happening like it or not. Just saying. Don't shoot the messenger.
Yeah, just as cars, microwaves, pressing irons, and vacuum cleaners.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

I do actually like the S7E (apart from the rounded corners) and the spec isn't terrible, it's just a big downgrade on what I have already.

But the thing the stops me from going the S7E route is that I would be locked in to a 2 year contract with a phone that will be replaced with an S8 in 10 weeks time. If Samsung had got their ****ing act together and offered an upgrade to an S8 as part of the Note7 return program, I would have returned my N7 ages ago.

I'm disgusted that here in the UK, on the same tariff, the S7E is just as expensive as the N7, yet it has half the storage, smaller screen, no iris scanner, no S-pen and no usb-c. I am NOT putting up with an old phone for £42/m for 2 years, when I am only paying £42/m for my Note7.

You know what? Samsung and UK Carriers are so unfair and unjust to UK customers.
I wonder what they think about us.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

There is nothing new to post, hence the less posts you see here.

Reactions: RaymondPJR

faslane

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 7, 2008
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
I honestly hope that samsung already sent the update to all of those devices and the update will activate itself on some random date and brick their devices.

Seriously people, samsung gave You all a chance to get a new device + extra money, and You said no?

This is how it looks like:
Samsung: hey! Here, have a brand new s7 edge + free money!
You: Nope. I'll keep my device and eventually one day it will explode and I'll burn to death while sleeping :).

I'm a note lover too. And if I had to return my device I wouldn't do it straight away either. But once they completely recall those phones and then start to DISABLE them. Then it's turn to take Your device back to samsung and change to a different device, while You still can(hopefully) do it for free instead of paying for a new one later.

What's even worse? No updates. No Nougat. S8 Edge will come soon. And Note 7 will become a old not so powerful anymore device.

And don't try to sell it to someone.
I saw one guy trying to sell his Note 7 and claiming that this one won't explode. Guess what. After contacting Samsung, the next day his account was gone(probably disabled temporarily). He wanted to sell it for 2x the price.

This way probably no. But You'll end up with a Samsung IPod.

Not worth it. You'll end up with a disabled device one day anyway. And even if You will somehow disable the updates (the internal ones that come out of nowhere(not ota)) then it's still not worth it. S8 will come out soon and beat Note 7 + Nougat.

And to all people who will keep their devices no matter what.
I guess it's fine. If they didn't explode so far they most likely won't explode anyway. Tbh it is kinda mean to disable recalled devices in a such way. Like just taking away updates and pushing annoying notifications is enough. And Samsung knows that if they didn't explode till now they won't explode.
So F You Samsung. But other than that think about that it still could explode in a elevator and kill You and other people.

And no guys. It's not a WWII historical item to keep it and show it to Your grandsons later. It's just a phone.

Couldn't agree more but all the holouts here seem to think they'll be able to magically block it and keep it forever. They don't listen to reason at all so I hope theirs do blow up but no one gets hurt of course. So they can see how much of an idiotic decision they made.
.+1

Reactions: ProtoDeVNan0

RaymondPJR

Oct 7, 2010
Portland
Couldn't agree more but all the holouts here seem to think they'll be able to magically block it and keep it forever. They don't listen to reason at all so I hope theirs do blow up but no one gets hurt of course. So they can see how much of an idiotic decision they made.
.+1
Fas, what are you talking about? Not one single Note 7 has exploded! Ever! They overheat, the battery expands and bursts the screen! It's not Armageddon, I assure you! Nobody is going to get hurt by any flying shrapnel or flames! Keeping others from coming to harm in case of an incident is way too easy!

There simply is no requirement for any of us holdouts (in the US) to comply with this recall! There are also no penalties for not doing so! Samsung is taking extreme measures to get them back-measures not seen before. I'm not mad at them, but I'm still keeping mine! Blocking the updates is really simple and does not require root!

There are still 240,000 holdouts in Korea alone! Laws differ from country to country and I'm sure in this one imei blocking is a step that Samsung cannot take! Sucks to live in Australia, New Zealand, or Canada, but the USA and, it seems, Europe are places they can't take that ultimate step!

What's even more interesting is that some holdouts are filling complaints with the FCC and getting good deals from carriers and Samsung as a result. A raw deal is a raw deal and evidently for those willing to file, the FCC and carriers agree!

What will I do? I'm keeping my phone! If by chance Samsung does find a way to disable it, then I'll turn it in, but they'll have to do that to get it back. Otherwise, come Note 8 time I may waltz into TMobile, return my Note and get all $840.00 back! Yes, I can do that, no expiration on a recall! Then I'll have most of the payment for my Note 8! That's a proper remedy for my trouble: two recalls, a loaner phone, a jacked up bill and hours spent trying to straighten it out, no updates, disabled VR and Wireless payments! Of course, that's 'IF' I want to give it up and not add it to my collection of old devices. It could well go in a drawer to live with my Vibrant and Note 4 (unfortunately I no longer have my G1, S3 or Note 3) that just what I do! In the meantime it's still the best damn device out there even without updates and I'm going to enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tonymy01

Aug 15, 2010
Sydney
I am pretty sure IMEI blocking as a way of trying to reduce the incentive to stealing a phone first started in Europe. Australia took forever to implement a suitable solution (it takes carrier collaboration for a start, we have 3 here). Effectively if your phone was stolen, the carrier could block the IMEI so that it made the phone useless to operate as a phone on that carrier again. Not sure if there is international collaboration for blocking though.
But it is trivial to block when Samsung gives all the carriers a list of the IMEI sold in region.

RaymondPJR

Oct 7, 2010
Portland
I am pretty sure IMEI blocking as a way of trying to reduce the incentive to stealing a phone first started in Europe. Australia took forever to implement a suitable solution (it takes carrier collaboration for a start, we have 3 here). Effectively if your phone was stolen, the carrier could block the IMEI so that it made the phone useless to operate as a phone on that carrier again. Not sure if there is international collaboration for blocking though.
But it is trivial to block when Samsung gives all the carriers a list of the IMEI sold in region.

There are laws so it is not trivial! Samsung owns the software or firmware which is why they can try squeezing us by hobbling the phone! Blocking the imei without someone willing to participate in the recall won't fly in this country! You pay your bill, you get service!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
.+1

You have a lot of time on your hands, don't ya buddy? You know, spending so much time on a forum of a device that you don't own. Just to try to convince strangers to return a device because you feel it's right. Yeah, Good Samaritan indeed it seems. Or maybe a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

ProtoDeVNan0

Apr 3, 2013
.+1

Maybe not blow up. But I mean still. It's just a phone. It's like any other phone. Just recalled.

But after rethinking this situation I think they should keep their devices if they want. They haven't exploded yet. So they 99.9% won't explode at all. Probably 97% if not more of all Note 7s were safe. It was just Samsung panicking too much. Or they had some other issue that they didn't tell us about.

Would any of You guys recall Your devices if couple of them exploded? Maybe they had some kind of broken bootloader that could lead to disabling or resetting knox on all samsung devices.

Only Samsung knows what really happened.
But I don't think they would recall all devices all around the world and lose SO MUCH MONEY just to avoid explosions.

So anyway guys. Keep Your devices.

And it's interesting what Samsung did to all those Note 7s. They are still making engineering firmwares for N7s.

And to @faslane . Just let them keep their devices. If they are rich enough to keep a device that won't ever get updated again and buy a different one that will, then sure.
And those guys aren't criminals. They just have sentiment to their Note 7s.

I would be mad too if someone told me over and over to give my device back to Samsung. I mean in my case I would just give them the device. Get the money. And get a phone that has SD 821 and 6GB of ram. (Mi Mix). Or cheaper alternative Mi5 for around 300 usd. That has SD820 and 3GB of ram.

But in the end it's their choice. If they want to keep it. Then let them keep it. You can suggest them to return their devices because it's not too safe, but don't force it too much, cause it will annoy them eventually.

Chippy_boy

Aug 29, 2016
Maybe not blow up. But I mean still. It's just a phone. It's like any other phone. Just recalled.

But after rethinking this situation I think they should keep their devices if they want. They haven't exploded yet. So they 99.9% won't explode at all. Probably 97% if not more of all Note 7s were safe. It was just Samsung panicking too much. Or they had some other issue that they didn't tell us about.

Would any of You guys recall Your devices if couple of them exploded? Maybe they had some kind of broken bootloader that could lead to disabling or resetting knox on all samsung devices.

But I don't think they would recall all devices all around the world and lose SO MUCH MONEY just to avoid explosions.

And it's interesting what Samsung did to all those Note 7s. They are still making engineering firmwares for N7s.

And to @faslane . Just let them keep their devices. If they are rich enough to keep a device that won't ever get updated again and buy a different one that will, then sure.

I would be mad too if someone told me over and over to give my device back to Samsung. I mean in my case I would just give them the device. Get the money. And get a phone that has SD 821 and 6GB of ram. (Mi Mix). Or cheaper alternative Mi5 for around 300 usd. That has SD820 and 3GB of ram.

But in the end it's their choice. If they want to keep it. Then let them keep it. You can suggest them to return their devices because it's not too safe, but don't force it too much, cause it will annoy them eventually.

The point that you and many others seem to completely overlook is the options open to different people in different markets.

Here in the UK, there is no suitable replacement phone on the market, period.

I can live without the s-pen, even though I like using it.
I can live without the iris scanner, even though I love the double-layer of protection it affords and I use it every day.
But I do not want a 1080p screen because it would be useless for VR
I don't want an LCD screen because I've had OLED for years and think they are massively superior
I NEED a micro sd slot because my phone is also my media player and I have 120GB of music I like to carry with me
I NEED more than 32GB of ram because I have a lot of apps
I NEED a really good camera
I like waterproof
I like USB-C, especially since the other phones in our house are now USB-C and anyway it's the way forward.

So what am I expected to switch to? Name me one device that would be a suitable replacement right now? The ZTE Axon 7 could be a possibility, but they are rare as rocking horse s**t over here and I am not buying from China on ebay. The Huawei Mate 9 Pro is not available yet. The Pixel is horrible, costs a fortune (even more so in 128GB form), has no microsd and most other of the above missing. The OnePlus 3 has a crappy 1080p screen. etc etc etc

Samsung are suggesting I switch to an S7E and lock myself into a 2 year contract with an S7E, so that I cannot upgrade to an S8E when that comes out in March. Do you think that sounds appealing?

And they are offering NO money back and the same cost per month for a much inferior product.

And you think we are mad to keep our Note7's? From where I am sitting, I'd be mad to return it.

drunkenbloke

Jun 7, 2014
Explode ?

Wait, so what will you guys do if your phone does explode?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Will log it as the first note 7 to explode as overheating and melting due to thermal runaway (or what ever the term is) is different to exploding. Why are you not all asking the same of the iphone 7 after the guy cycling had his melt in his back pocket burning his leg while turned off.

Jammol

Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere in Colorado
Will log it as the first note 7 to explode as overheating and melting due to thermal runaway (or what ever the term is) is different to exploding. Why are you not all asking the same of the iphone 7 after the guy cycling had his melt in his back pocket burning his leg while turned off.

Do I look like an iPhone guy?! Please just stop. You obviously understood my question in its form, now you want to be an idiot about it?! Good job! :highfive:

Reactions: faslane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here we go again. Who gives you the right to say what someone should or should not do with their phone? My Samsung washer was recalled and I got no notice about it, even though I have an extended protection plan on it. Lowes never called, Samsung never called, nobody. And these machines actually do EXPLODE!

I have got recalls for my BRAND NEW CAR and yet nobody attempted to disable it. How about exploding airbags? I did not see any companies limiting your fuel tank to 60%.

This whole thing has been a complete mess. The fact that most of these incidents were not even 100% verified and the fact that people actually withdrew their reports speaks volumes. Also, Samsung still has not been able to replicate this issue. I have seen stories about S7 Edges melting and iPhones as well. Fact of the matter is, this was the media taking something which was nothing and creating a firestorm. You do not have to look much further than this election and the crazy amount of FAKE NEWS going around to realize it. My suggestion is to stop posting threads about this and let people make their OWN decisions.
    If Sprint turns the service off to my phone, I'm going to have some strongly worded email going out to them demanding reimbursement for the cell service I pay for. They can't turn my service off while I'm paying for it or that would be theft; recall or not; especially since it's still officially a voluntary recall.

Your phone and service are two different things. The phone you're using has been recalled by its manufacturer as potentially dangerous. Your wireless carrier has made available numerous options for you to return or exchange your recalled phone. For whatever reason you've chosen not to avail yourself of those options. I'd assume when the Note7 is disabled those options will still be available to you. What's the problem?

I think it's a hoax.

A "hoax" perpetrated by who? Samsung? They lost billions of dollars, lost face, and went without a Fall flagship to battle the iP7 and Pixel. Samsung wanted us to buy and use a Note7 as badly as we all wanted to. A higher number of Note7's than normal or acceptable overheated due to a battery defect. The speculation that makes the most sense is that Samsung tried to cram too much battery in to a too small battery cell. The fix would have been to reengineer the battery cell with it most likely being a smaller capacity than the one people paid for. It would leave their latest "flagship" with worse battery performance than the S7-series and its competitors. Even if they went forward with that option every Note7 sold would still have to be recalled and replaced with a newer smaller capacity battery version. That would mean compensation and/or refunds for original Note7 purchasers who didn't get what they paid for. At the end of the day that route wouldn't leave Samsung much better off than pulling the plug. So they did.

Bottom line is keeping a Note7 is going to be more and more difficult. People that aren't techies or hobbyists are going to be taken out when Samsung and/or the carriers push out disabling updates or block network access. The phone will never be updated or see official Nougat, no one will perform warranty or paid service on it, and parts are going to difficult to find for do-it-yourself repairs. XDA devs will stop developing for it because who wants to support a ROM used by such a small group of people. At some point even techies and hobbyists will get tired of fighting an uphill battle. Look at this forum. There are like five regular posters left with fewer and fewer posts made each passing day. At some point you've just got to accept that it is what it is.
    Wait, so what will you guys do if your phone does explode?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well that's when its time to return it I suppose :D

Sent from my Note 7, S7 Edge or S6

The point that you and many others seem to completely overlook is the options open to different people in different markets.

Here in the UK, there is no suitable replacement phone on the market, period.

I can live without the s-pen, even though I like using it.
    I can live without the iris scanner, even though I love the double-layer of protection it affords and I use it every day.
    But I do not want a 1080p screen because it would be useless for VR
    I don't want an LCD screen because I've had OLED for years and think they are massively superior
    I NEED a micro sd slot because my phone is also my media player and I have 120GB of music I like to carry with me
    I NEED more than 32GB of ram because I have a lot of apps
    I NEED a really good camera
    I like waterproof
    I like USB-C, especially since the other phones in our house are now USB-C and anyway it's the way forward.

So what am I expected to switch to? Name me one device that would be a suitable replacement right now? The ZTE Axon 7 could be a possibility, but they are rare as rocking horse s**t over here and I am not buying from China on ebay. The Huawei Mate 9 Pro is not available yet. The Pixel is horrible, costs a fortune (even more so in 128GB form), has no microsd and most other of the above missing. The OnePlus 3 has a crappy 1080p screen. etc etc etc

Samsung are suggesting I switch to an S7E and lock myself into a 2 year contract with an S7E, so that I cannot upgrade to an S8E when that comes out in March. Do you think that sounds appealing?

And they are offering NO money back and the same cost per month for a much inferior product.

And you think we are mad to keep our Note7's? From where I am sitting, I'd be mad to return it.
    .+1