All ROMs are same

Do you think all ROMs are basically same in Android 5.0??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Hi guys,

I know its really hard to create a new ROM and updating it and giving to users. But since the launch of Android 5.0 Lollipop I don't find difference between all major ROMs.
If there is difference, it is of the Bugs. Some ROMs got big bugs and some with small bugs. But rest is same. The looks the feel, everything same (Except MIUI - which is not on Android 5.0).

I have tried almost all of them. Thanks to all the devs. But my question is there any ROM which is unique???

I am getting same functions in all of them with same looks Even they are same in smoothness and working.

The difference is created by Cyanogen ROMs with theme engine, but now all ROMs now include that theme engine. So we are basically using the same ROM everywhere.

At the moment I am using DirtyUnicorn and I don't want to change because all the ROMs are same.

Is there any ROM which is unique??????? Any?????

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
Don't say that I should change theme or launcher. It just makes the availability of ROMs a joke.

I am still waiting for MIUI or Lewa if it arrives.

If you dont like them then by all means make one yourself. Just wait MIUI is also gonna look alot like the rest. Android is made for you to change things to make it your own. So use a launcher and a custom theme or make your own rom.

Also if you are looking for verity then you should not have gotten a nexus. Get a Touchwiz or Sense device. This way you have more options.

Last edited:

Roastmeat

Apr 4, 2012
Mississauga
See I do agree with you. Most roms are pretty similar when compared to back in the days of A4.2.

What I think is more important is the choice of kernel. Allowing the ability to over/underclock and control voltages automatically and many other things. I think learning how to use a kernel and it's various governers is what will separate phones.

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
I dont know why so little roms have cm profiles. It's a feature that have much more benefits than any theme engine
I'm a Brazilian without English Course, sorry and be comprehensive :)

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
If you dont like them then by all means make one yourself. Just wait MIUI is also gonna look alot like the rest. Android is made for you to change things to make it your own. So use a launcher and a custom theme or make your own rom.

Also if you are looking for verity then you should not have gotten a nexus. Get a Touchwiz or Sense device. This way you have more options.
See the second post.

I am not against devs and ROMs, but my only thought is that they are all same.

Even once we used to have great Paranoid ROMs with great features, but now it is nothing but same as all CMs.
With Android 5.0 Google has done something that is now killing Custom ROMs. The ROMs are becoming similar or I should say same.

MIUI is different because they are doing different, but all others are just mixing functions and giving you CM ROMs.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
See the second post.

Even once we used to have great Paranoid ROMs with great features, but now it is nothing but same as all CMs.
With Android 5.0 Google has done something that is now killing Custom ROMs. The ROMs are becoming similar or I should say same.

MIUI is different because they are doing different, but all others are just mixing functions and giving you CM ROMs.

Well first thing is MIUI is not really different. They are just coping others as well. Notice how they are still on KK? Yes many features are the Same in alot of roms and that is because users have come to expect those and Devs are working like crazy to get them moved up to 5.0 and working. As for them giving you CM roms that is where your wrong. Many have completely ditched CM roms sources due to their dumb ways of merging untested code.

I wont even talk about Paranoid android. They never came up with anything original.

Android at the base is all supposed to look the same. This is what Google Whats and got it with the nasty thing they call the Material design.

I saw your second post. My answer will still be the same. The days of themed roms are over. You are given a clean base to make it your way. So take that and make it yours with a theme and launchers and such.

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Well first thing is MIUI is not really different. They are just coping others as well. Notice how they are still on KK? Yes many features are the Same in alot of roms and that is because users have come to expect those and Devs are working like crazy to get them moved up to 5.0 and working. As for them giving you CM roms that is where your wrong. Many have completely ditched CM roms sources due to their dumb ways of merging untested code.

I wont even talk about Paranoid android. They never came up with anything original.

Android at the base is all supposed to look the same. This is what Google Whats and got it with the nasty thing they call the Material design.

I saw your second post. My answer will still be the same. The days of themed roms are over. You are given a clean base to make it your way. So take that and make it yours with a theme and launchers and such.
What I really love about MIUI is that they are working in completely different manner. They are working hard on including new features and providing new looks and with a big market for customization.

Whereas CM are great too, and they are the base ROMs for maybe all the ROMs we are using right now.

I don't think Paranoid didn't did anything new, they gave us Hybrid ROMs. But with Android 5.0, they no more my favorites.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
What I really love about MIUI is that they are working in completely different manner. They are working hard on including new features and providing new looks and with a big market for customization.

Whereas CM are great too, and they are the base ROMs for maybe all the ROMs we are using right now.

I don't think Paranoid didn't did anything new, they gave us Hybrid ROMs. But with Android 5.0, they no more my favorites.

Almost no ROMs are using cm as a base any more. Miui is just taking ideas from iOS. They are even working on a whole new setup so they can release devices in the us without apple sue them out of business.

Reactions: russells.android

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Almost no ROMs are using cm as a base any more. Miui is just taking ideas from iOS. They are even working on a whole new setup so they can release devices in the us without apple sue them out of business.
Copying is what they are doing for themes. I don't think that's bad. iOS is more Android, so if MIUI is copying the design then it's not the issue. Their environment is different. So do CMs.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
Copying is what they are doing for themes. I don't think that's bad. iOS is more Android, so if MIUI is copying the design then it's not the issue. Their environment is different. So do CMs.

So let me get this straight. You think coping is ok yet dont like that all the roms "seem" the same to you?

IOS is more Android?

Your right their environment is different. They dont care what users want or say.

Cm is not even worth mentioning anymore really. They are fast becoming just as big a joke as MIUI in the android world. No one with any real thoughts of their own even use their roms anymore.

Reactions: greg17477

calyxim

May 31, 2011
London
The problem is that we all think that the developers actually develop something.
The matter of the fact is that they only tinker with what Google gave them.
So I wouldn't hold my breath for a sense like rom that has its own framework.
No one has got time for that. Big things come from big companies. Or maybe from a team of good friends.

BitteredBro

Feb 21, 2011
Poza Rica
A long time a go a bunch of people gave us Theme Engine, Hybrid Mode, Profiles, PIE, Heads-up, Immersive mode and lots of stuff that was new at the time. I really believe that the creative process is, has been and will be strong on XDA - Developers... but i agree with the OP albeit for different reasons.

I think that as technology, products or processes are understood better, being innovative, creative or "disruptive" becomes harder:
1.- We (the consumer) demand a series of features that become standarized which tramples innovation
2.-And there is the thing with the source material P.E. There is so much a thinkerer can do with a hammer a 2x4 and a couple of nails... Same with android.
3.- As a technology matures the innovation rate diminishes. Look at clocks, TV, videogames or smartphones! Every year there are new models, but little game changing technology even when there are hundred of people working on with, fully paid and with the backing of big companies.

Science and technology advance is not linear... I think that we are on a low point on ROM innovation but to me, that only means that soon somebody will come up with something new and great.

Last edited:

doctor_droid

Oct 29, 2012
Indore
Android roms are same?
Yes they are with a little difference in each and every rom ..coz they are built from the same mother source...AOSP...
Google itself builds it factory images from aosp with touch of google changes...
Every oem uses the aosp and modifies it to make sense, touchwiz, zenui etc etc...

Things have certainly changed in past few years when we only had cm pa pac man ..
Now we have 100s of options ..some developers even kind enough to merge our 'wanted' changes in their rom.

So instead of looking at this thing as 'all are same with little changes' , look it as a 'single thing with 100s of options/modifications' to exactly suit your needs.

Yes its confusing sometimes especially when you are a nexus user ;)

Try a different oem if u want a great change on changing custom roms (migrating from touchwiz to vanilla android gives a wow feeling ;) )

Reactions: greg17477

forever_lol

Mar 18, 2013
Of course they're 100 pretty much exactly the same roms out there. It's really hard to notice any difference among them. It´s all true. Also calling every room-cooker a developer is in my opinion little too much.

It's been already stated that if you want more variation is better to go for oem devices. however probably at the price of never getting fully working aosp/cm rom (unles we're talking about gpe devices). If you want variation go for flagship oems if you want to enjoy aosp go for nexus.

Last edited:

joegestes

Feb 28, 2015
><((((>
Do you think all ROMs are basically same in Android 5.0??

[Sarcasm ON]
"Same" is a relative term like "IS".

A relative term is that it is different for different people or situations. An example: someone who is 5 feet tall might think someone who is 5 feet six inches tall is tall, but someone who is 6 feet would think that that person is short.

So I voted no, I don't think all ROM's are the same but they are definitely very similar.
[Sarcasm OFF]

:D

~Peace

cenonmin

Jul 28, 2010
Sydney
Agreed, there does not seem to be a lot of innovation in Lollipop ROM features. I have tried Euphoria, TeamUB, crDroid, Slim, RastaPOP, OminROM and XenonHD.

So far they all have the same features. The best one really is XenonHD with its custom long press and double-tap actions on the Nav Bar buttons. This is a great carry over feature from KitKat.

All the other ROMs suck in terms of "new" features.

anikadam

Mar 28, 2012
Mumbai
I guess after 3 4 yrs being on xda, flashing roms with different features, developers amazing us with new and unique features every few months, for me Now it all comes down to the daily use of these features

The PA per app color, pie and omni roms split screen were something that i could use as a daily driver. I really miss PA roms Pie, slimpie somehow is just isnt the same. I miss the tablet mode from PA too.

What i want as a user is a smooth stable rom with some basic tweaks that i dont find on a stock rom and less battery drain. Which i pretty much have with LiquidSmooth.

The speed of innovation has slowed down or rather there arent many more innovative things to do that can be used for daily use anymore i guess. Im not complaining here, just a thought.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I know its really hard to create a new ROM and updating it and giving to users. But since the launch of Android 5.0 Lollipop I don't find difference between all major ROMs.
    If there is difference, it is of the Bugs. Some ROMs got big bugs and some with small bugs. But rest is same. The looks the feel, everything same (Except MIUI - which is not on Android 5.0).

I have tried almost all of them. Thanks to all the devs. But my question is there any ROM which is unique???

I am getting same functions in all of them with same looks Even they are same in smoothness and working.

The difference is created by Cyanogen ROMs with theme engine, but now all ROMs now include that theme engine. So we are basically using the same ROM everywhere.

At the moment I am using DirtyUnicorn and I don't want to change because all the ROMs are same.

Is there any ROM which is unique??????? Any?????
    Don't say that I should change theme or launcher. It just makes the availability of ROMs a joke.

I am still waiting for MIUI or Lewa if it arrives.

See the second post.

See the second post.

The problem is that we all think that the developers actually develop something.
    The matter of the fact is that they only tinker with what Google gave them.
    So I wouldn't hold my breath for a sense like rom that has its own framework.
    No one has got time for that. Big things come from big companies. Or maybe from a team of good friends.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone