All ROMs are same

Do you think all ROMs are basically same in Android 5.0??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Hmmmm. I know you are the moderator and could be one great ROM developers or something great. But brother not all the members on this websites are developers. I got your point that we should stop complaining and do our own work.

But do you know, the Government is formed by those common people who just voted for it. Developers are important, but when there are no users for their ROMs it will become useless. And we want some new features why can't we ask for it.

You are sadly mistaken about without users then roms would become pointless. We have been doing this long before most users even knew what a smartphone was. Here is a perfect exert from one of my older posts that will help explain things a bit more.

XDA is a developers site
XDA is a free forum you are ALLOWED to use. We could make it invite only
XDA is and always will be about the developers. And before you say without the users there would be no XDA, Bull****, who do you think used the stuff before normal people even knew what a smartphone was......wait for it.........other developers. People that could give good feedback with relavent info. Like Logcats and crash messages. Not just "dahhh this is broken, please fix". And even Maybe help fix what is broken.

XDA is not a place to come and make your phone cool.
XDA is not the cool place for idiots to hang out.
XDA is not your friends house
XDA is not a democracy
XDA is not a place to make Money.

XDA IS a place to come to learn and share your knowledge. If you are not here for those reasons then you are here for the wrong ones.

It is because of alot of users that main developers have given up all together. To many people saying gimme gimme and not willing to help out.

And if you think peoples vote matters then I will let you think that.

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
You are sadly mistaken about without users then roms would become pointless. We have been doing this long before most users even knew what a smartphone was. Here is a perfect exert from one of my older posts that will help explain things a bit more.

XDA is a developers site
XDA is a free forum you are ALLOWED to use. We could make it invite only
XDA is and always will be about the developers. And before you say without the users there would be no XDA, Bull****, who do you think used the stuff before normal people even knew what a smartphone was......wait for it.........other developers. People that could give good feedback with relavent info. Like Logcats and crash messages. Not just "dahhh this is broken, please fix". And even Maybe help fix what is broken.

XDA is not a place to come and make your phone cool.
XDA is not the cool place for idiots to hang out.
XDA is not your friends house
XDA is not a democracy
XDA is not a place to make Money.

XDA IS a place to come to learn and share your knowledge. If you are not here for those reasons then you are here for the wrong ones.

It is because of alot of users that main developers have given up all together. To many people saying gimme gimme and not willing to help out.

And if you think peoples vote matters then I will let you think that.
It matters and will always be. If it wasn't, you would not have came here and gave explanations or fought for devs rights. And the exert is from your post. It is your thought and this is mine.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
It matters and will always be. If it wasn't, you would not have came here and gave explanations or fought for devs rights. And the exert is from your post. It is your thought and this is mine.

Its not just my thoughts. That single post almost 1500 thanks for most of the developers on this site. If you want to read the whole thing just click on my banner. I am not here to fight for dev rights. There is nothing to fight for. They do what they do and are not answerable to anyone. Not me, Not you not anyone but themselves. You would be amazed at the development that is and has gone on but is only shared with other developers or advanced users. This is due to people expecting things that they have no right to expect.

Reactions: jer_ying_fd

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
No one is trying to change the website. Some people just need to realize that just because this is a development site does not mean everyone here has to be a developer. If that were the case you never have testers, themers, etc. Variety is tne spice of life, and a community is only successful when everyone works together to get every job done....and developing apps, roms, etc. are hardly the only job involved in getting it out and running properly, so get off your high horses please.

jer_ying_fd

Nov 30, 2013
No one is trying to change the website. Some people just need to realize that just because this is a development site does not mean everyone here has to be a developer. If that were the case you never have testers, themers, etc. Variety is tne spice of life, and a community is only successful when everyone works together to get every job done....and developing apps, roms, etc. are hardly the only job involved in getting it out and running properly, so get off your high horses please.

I think the problem is that a sizeable portion of non-developers believe that they are entitled to get new features and showed no respect, it's this problem that prompted the forum to become more developer-centric than ever. So to sum it up, users' attitude.

forever_lol

Mar 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20
I respectfully disagree. The vast majority of users, including OP show their respect to developers, and always did. Really small percentage of users have acted like they deserve sth.

I've been observing this board for quite long time and it's always be that way: every time you say slightly critical towards anything/anybody remotely related to development sooner or later you´re gonna get flamed. No matter how constructive and polite your criticism is.
kinda culitc if you ask me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImperatorShade

jer_ying_fd

Nov 30, 2013
I respectfully disagree. The vast majority of users, including OP show their respect to developers, and always did. Really small percentage of users have acted like they deserve sth.

I've been observing this board for quite long time and it's always be that way: every time you say slightly critical towards anything/anybody remotely related to development sooner or later you´re gonna get flamed. No matter how constructive and polite your criticism is.
kinda culitc if you ask me.

I guess you are correct since the threads I go on are generally much more friendlier than what you said

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
The main thing I see an issue with is simple. You have not right to come down on some one until you have tried to do it yourself.

The OP stated that all roms are the same yet has not once tried to help in any way.

Now people say that not everyone here is a developer. Well this is true but you come here to change that. This site is to help people learn to do things themselves. It is not a rom site, a make my phone cool site, a user site or anything else. It is a site made for developers by developers.

It was also said that features are cut and pasted between roms yet this is also not true. While the features are the same, the code to make the features work across different roms are very different.

Let's take the MIUI battery bar as a perfect example. The base code that was used to make this work has been removed by Google. There are now 4 different codes to get it working again and none of it is the same.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T

This is not completely true. XDA was a site for custom roms long before most even knew what a smart phone was. There were themes and testers then as well. The main difference was that the testers were not only reporting bugs with proper logs but were also offering fixes.

Getting a rom to be stable is not the end game and I think alot of people need to learn that. Developers do this to learn are try new things. Say they have a mod that works right. Yet they are not happy with the way it is coded. So they take the code and redo it. Then it becomes buggy. They redo it again and again until it works the way they want and the coding is how they want. They learned. Learning is the end game here. Roms are secondary.

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
This is not completely true. XDA was a site for custom roms long before most even knew what a smart phone was. There were themes and testers then as well. The main difference was that the testers were not only reporting bugs with proper logs but were also offering fixes.

Getting a rom to be stable is not the end game and I think alot of people need to learn that. Developers do this to learn are try new things. Say they have a mod that works right. Yet they are not happy with the way it is coded. So they take the code and redo it. Then it becomes buggy. They redo it again and again until it works the way they want and the coding is how they want. They learned. Learning is the end game here. Roms are secondary.

Please don't take anything I'm about to say personal...none of it is directed at any one person. It's a general open statement to everyone.

Again...we're beating that dead horse....not everyone knows how to code. That doesn't make them useless to this community. Lots of people will try, but it's just not for everyone. I feel like the theme of this conversation has become "developers don't want end users here unless they are also developers" and it's just wrong to think like that....not to mention prejudice in its most literal definition. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular here, but if you don't like the way XDA is now then there's the door. I'm no dev, and I know 100% I will never be. I also know 100% I'm not leaving because any dev asks me to...so even if I'm the absolute last non-dev here, this site will never again be 100% devs. That's the reality. If any devs don't like that, there's some good news: you know how to code....go start your own website. Isn't that what you tell us non-devs all the time when someone complains?? How's it feel to be told that?? Right...remember it next time.

Reactions: gautam.is.sharma

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Please don't take anything I'm about to say personal...none of it is directed at any one person. It's a general open statement to everyone.

Again...we're beating that dead horse....not everyone knows how to code. That doesn't make them useless to this community. Lots of people will try, but it's just not for everyone. I feel like the theme of this conversation has become "developers don't want end users here unless they are also developers" and it's just wrong to think like that....not to mention prejudice in its most literal definition. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular here, but if you don't like the way XDA is now then there's the door. I'm no dev, and I know 100% I will never be. I also know 100% I'm not leaving because any dev asks me to...so even if I'm the absolute last non-dev here, this site will never again be 100% devs. That's the reality. If any devs don't like that, there's some good news: you know how to code....go start your own website. Isn't that what you tell us non-devs all the time when someone complains?? How's it feel to be told that?? Right...remember it next time.
Truth spoken....

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T

Nothing personal.

Its not that anyone is not wanted here. Its that When people want to criticize others that people get upset. As an example. You take your care to a mechanic and then get mad and start calling his work out when you wouldnt even know where to start when you lift the hood.

As for devs starting their own site. The sad new is this is already happening. Many devs have already left the site because of things just like this. While some stay they even still share only their latest and newest development with users by PM or other means.

Its not that developers dont want people here but they do want people to learn. That is the whole point behind this site and why we put soo much into the sections to help teach people.

If people are not here to learn then it makes my wonder just why they are here.

22sl22

May 21, 2012
London
Nothing personal.

Its not that anyone is not wanted here. Its that When people want to criticize others that people get upset. As an example. You take your care to a mechanic and then get mad and start calling his work out when you wouldnt even know where to start when you lift the hood.

As for devs starting their own site. The sad new is this is already happening. Many devs have already left the site because of things just like this. While some stay they even still share only their latest and newest development with users by PM or other means.

Its not that developers dont want people here but they do want people to learn. That is the whole point behind this site and why we put soo much into the sections to help teach people.

If people are not here to learn then it makes my wonder just why they are here.

+1

I agree with you.

XDA and rooting has almost become too popular that some people just don't understand what goes on 'behind the scenes' so to speak to get roms and things working. Thus they expect too much because they don't really care about the developer, they just want to make their phone look and feel cool. (I know i'm generalizing but bear with me)

I also disagree, not everyone has to learn, they just need to be understanding and they need to read before posting. It's perfectly fine if your'e not a developer or don't know how to code

But at certain times iv'e just stopped answering q and a threads and stopped posting on XDA just because of the constant repetitive questions, I know that's a terrible thing to do but how many users just create an account and ask straight away without reading. How many silver spoons have to be fed to people? Like you said, this is causing more and more developers to leave the site which makes good roms harder to find. Before, most people used Goo.Im and they used to have a really good system in which you could see popular rom uploads, things that weren't on XDA but now no more..........

Anyway, like hp240 said, we are all flogging a dead horse over and over, I see no point for this thread to continue

Last edited:
Reactions: jer_ying_fd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I know its really hard to create a new ROM and updating it and giving to users. But since the launch of Android 5.0 Lollipop I don't find difference between all major ROMs.
    If there is difference, it is of the Bugs. Some ROMs got big bugs and some with small bugs. But rest is same. The looks the feel, everything same (Except MIUI - which is not on Android 5.0).

I have tried almost all of them. Thanks to all the devs. But my question is there any ROM which is unique???

I am getting same functions in all of them with same looks Even they are same in smoothness and working.

The difference is created by Cyanogen ROMs with theme engine, but now all ROMs now include that theme engine. So we are basically using the same ROM everywhere.

At the moment I am using DirtyUnicorn and I don't want to change because all the ROMs are same.

Is there any ROM which is unique??????? Any?????
    Don't say that I should change theme or launcher. It just makes the availability of ROMs a joke.

I am still waiting for MIUI or Lewa if it arrives.

If you dont like them then by all means make one yourself. Just wait MIUI is also gonna look alot like the rest. Android is made for you to change things to make it your own. So use a launcher and a custom theme or make your own rom.

Also if you are looking for verity then you should not have gotten a nexus. Get a Touchwiz or Sense device. This way you have more options.
    If you dont like them then by all means make one yourself. Just wait MIUI is also gonna look alot like the rest. Android is made for you to change things to make it your own. So use a launcher and a custom theme or make your own rom.

Also if you are looking for verity then you should not have gotten a nexus. Get a Touchwiz or Sense device. This way you have more options.
    See the second post.

I am not against devs and ROMs, but my only thought is that they are all same.

Even once we used to have great Paranoid ROMs with great features, but now it is nothing but same as all CMs.
    With Android 5.0 Google has done something that is now killing Custom ROMs. The ROMs are becoming similar or I should say same.

MIUI is different because they are doing different, but all others are just mixing functions and giving you CM ROMs.
    See the second post.

I am not against devs and ROMs, but my only thought is that they are all same.

Even once we used to have great Paranoid ROMs with great features, but now it is nothing but same as all CMs.
    With Android 5.0 Google has done something that is now killing Custom ROMs. The ROMs are becoming similar or I should say same.

MIUI is different because they are doing different, but all others are just mixing functions and giving you CM ROMs.

Well first thing is MIUI is not really different. They are just coping others as well. Notice how they are still on KK? Yes many features are the Same in alot of roms and that is because users have come to expect those and Devs are working like crazy to get them moved up to 5.0 and working. As for them giving you CM roms that is where your wrong. Many have completely ditched CM roms sources due to their dumb ways of merging untested code.

I wont even talk about Paranoid android. They never came up with anything original.

Android at the base is all supposed to look the same. This is what Google Whats and got it with the nasty thing they call the Material design.

I saw your second post. My answer will still be the same. The days of themed roms are over. You are given a clean base to make it your way. So take that and make it yours with a theme and launchers and such.
    The problem is that we all think that the developers actually develop something.
    The matter of the fact is that they only tinker with what Google gave them.
    So I wouldn't hold my breath for a sense like rom that has its own framework.
    No one has got time for that. Big things come from big companies. Or maybe from a team of good friends.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone