All ROMs are same

Do you think all ROMs are basically same in Android 5.0??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

22sl22

May 21, 2012
London
Hi guys,

I know its really hard to create a new ROM and updating it and giving to users. But since the launch of Android 5.0 Lollipop I don't find difference between all major ROMs.
If there is difference, it is of the Bugs. Some ROMs got big bugs and some with small bugs. But rest is same. The looks the feel, everything same (Except MIUI - which is not on Android 5.0).

I have tried almost all of them. Thanks to all the devs. But my question is there any ROM which is unique???

I am getting same functions in all of them with same looks Even they are same in smoothness and working.

The difference is created by Cyanogen ROMs with theme engine, but now all ROMs now include that theme engine. So we are basically using the same ROM everywhere.

At the moment I am using DirtyUnicorn and I don't want to change because all the ROMs are same.

Is there any ROM which is unique??????? Any?????

Whilst I do agree with you to an extent I also agree with what others have said. It takes an enormous amount of effort and dedication to create something from the ground up that's totally new. Like @zelendel said the way forward is taking a rom and customizing it to your own liking, you just have to accept that.

Don't get me wrong, I love MIUI and I know what you mean. Right now my entire phone looks exactly like MIUI with RRO Themes but it just doesn't feel like MIUI. I also mean no disrespect to rom developers, I know people say they they are all the same etc but they all work hard in what they do and they deserve credit for that. They don't receive a fat paycheck in the post every month for their work on XDA, rom devs make what they want because that's what they like to enjoy doing. You can't expect anything from a group of people who receives nothing (broadly speaking)

The only thing I can suggest is to experiment with new options that are not on Lollipop but KitKat. But these roms are not on XDA, but rather places like BBS.Anzi and romzj. Roms like FIUI, MIUI Hybrid and Lucky Roms. Iv'e learnt to get used to the fact that things just aren't the same anymore and youv'e got to make the most of what the current roms have to offer and maybe you should to unless you want to trawl through dozens of Chinese forums like I used to do:

http://www.romzj.com/list/google_nexus4.htm

http://bbs.anzhi.com/forum-879-1.html

Hope I helped :good:

Last edited:

sercankd

Nov 23, 2011
My phone shoots pistol from headphone jack with some unique rom. i dont know what do you even want, roms are created around a standartized design blueprints. better use cm12 and its theme engine

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
The peak of customization and features was on kit Kat. Roms like vanir and mahdi reunited every single feature of any rom. That's why it was so unique. It was not the fastest rom out there, but wasnt lacking anything.

I'm a Brazilian without English Course, sorry and be comprehensive :)

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
You guys could come up with new features and then make them. You have to understand that 5.x has changed alot and alot of what once could be done can no longer be done. Also with nexus devices you are limited to aosp based roms only. While great for that you do limit yourselves on options.

djsubterrain

Jan 4, 2012
Livingston
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
Don't say that I should change theme or launcher. It just makes the availability of ROMs a joke.

I am still waiting for MIUI or Lewa if it arrives.

MIUI isn't going to be updated, stop waiting. It's not even based on KitKat yet for the Nexus 4 so if you think it's going to be updated with some Lollipop goodness then you're kidding yourself.

Resurrection Remix seems to be leagues ahead of the other roms.

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
I can't help but agree, which is why I've pretty much given upon custom roms. I've been running vanilla aosp for over a year...almost two (since xposed first hit JB basically) because I've felt this way for a VERY long time!! CM just kind of gave up when JB came, and no one else has really innovated very much, except a few features here and there, which eventually get ripped out and kanged to oblivion....so then we are in the same place we are now....anything unique and inventive gets ripped and kanged, so we're in a catch-22. This is why I just use stock aosp with xposed. I feel it's probably the best way to get a unique custom rom these days.

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Redmi K20 Pro
NO !
Stock lollipop and cm12 nightlies they are different :D maybe due to customizations and tweaks i guess!
I got it you are funny...

I really miss mahdi rom. It was so unique. The old good KK times :)
Not only Mahdi ROM but all of them. Unique PA, PAC MAN. All of them. But now all are same.

The peak of customization and features was on kit Kat. Roms like vanir and mahdi reunited every single feature of any rom. That's why it was so unique. It was not the fastest rom out there, but wasnt lacking anything.

I'm a Brazilian without English Course, sorry and be comprehensive :)
+1

Whilst I do agree with you to an extent I also agree with what others have said. It takes an enormous amount of effort and dedication to create something from the ground up that's totally new. Like @zelendel said the way forward is taking a rom and customizing it to your own liking, you just have to accept that.

Don't get me wrong, I love MIUI and I know what you mean. Right now my entire phone looks exactly like MIUI with RRO Themes but it just doesn't feel like MIUI. I also mean no disrespect to rom developers, I know people say they they are all the same etc but they all work hard in what they do and they deserve credit for that. They don't receive a fat paycheck in the post every month for their work on XDA, rom devs make what they want because that's what they like to enjoy doing. You can't expect anything from a group of people who receives nothing (broadly speaking)

The only thing I can suggest is to experiment with new options that are not on Lollipop but KitKat. But these roms are not on XDA, but rather places like BBS.Anzi and romzj. Roms like FIUI, MIUI Hybrid and Lucky Roms. Iv'e learnt to get used to the fact that things just aren't the same anymore and youv'e got to make the most of what the current roms have to offer and maybe you should to unless you want to trawl through dozens of Chinese forums like I used to do:

http://www.romzj.com/list/google_nexus4.htm

http://bbs.anzhi.com/forum-879-1.html

Hope I helped :good:
Talking about dedication and efforts, I think new developers are more like porters. They are mixing one or two ROMs together and presenting it. But the main problem arises with big ROM porters. With so many similar ROMs, their ROMs are no more got any uniqueness.

Also at this moment, no special improvement is going on. I am hoping for something great.

Last edited by a moderator:

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Redmi K20 Pro
MIUI isn't going to be updated, stop waiting. It's not even based on KitKat yet for the Nexus 4 so if you think it's going to be updated with some Lollipop goodness then you're kidding yourself.

Resurrection Remix seems to be leagues ahead of the other roms.
MIUI is already available with Kitkat.

The main issue is that, only a single developer is working on it.

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Redmi K20 Pro
I can't help but agree, which is why I've pretty much given upon custom roms. I've been running vanilla aosp for over a year...almost two (since xposed first hit JB basically) because I've felt this way for a VERY long time!! CM just kind of gave up when JB came, and no one else has really innovated very much, except a few features here and there, which eventually get ripped out and kanged to oblivion....so then we are in the same place we are now....anything unique and inventive gets ripped and kanged, so we're in a catch-22. This is why I just use stock aosp with xposed. I feel it's probably the best way to get a unique custom rom these days.
Yup, you are right. +1

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Redmi K20 Pro
Wow are you wrong there. There is a whole team working on MIUI. They are still based on KK 4.4.2. I have a feeling they are spending more time on their New OS based on firefox mobile that will replace MIUI.
I was talking about MIUI for Nexus 4 brother. And 4.4.2 is Kitkat

And if we talk of global MIUI development, they are working hard. Because they want to include all the features to Lollipop, instead of other ROM developers like PA who just moved to Lollipop without implementing the features. Because in the later way it all becomes same.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
I was talking about MIUI for Nexus 4 brother. And 4.4.2 is Kitkat

And if we talk of global MIUI development, they are working hard. Because they want to include all the features to Lollipop, instead of other ROM developers like PA who just moved to Lollipop without implementing the features. Because in the later way it all becomes same.
You I see you talk about everyone else yet what have you done? What contributions have you helped with? What code have you written?

Until you do some you really don't have any room to talk about others.

As for miui for the n4 all that is is another port.

gautam.is.sharma

Dec 1, 2011
New Delhi
webitrendz.com
Redmi K20 Pro
Instead of complaining they are all the same why dont you make something that is not? You are on a DEVELOPERS site after all.
Hmmmm. I know you are the moderator and could be one great ROM developers or something great. But brother not all the members on this websites are developers. I got your point that we should stop complaining and do our own work.

But do you know, the Government is formed by those common people who just voted for it. Developers are important, but when there are no users for their ROMs it will become useless. And we want some new features why can't we ask for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I know its really hard to create a new ROM and updating it and giving to users. But since the launch of Android 5.0 Lollipop I don't find difference between all major ROMs.
    If there is difference, it is of the Bugs. Some ROMs got big bugs and some with small bugs. But rest is same. The looks the feel, everything same (Except MIUI - which is not on Android 5.0).

I have tried almost all of them. Thanks to all the devs. But my question is there any ROM which is unique???

I am getting same functions in all of them with same looks Even they are same in smoothness and working.

The difference is created by Cyanogen ROMs with theme engine, but now all ROMs now include that theme engine. So we are basically using the same ROM everywhere.

At the moment I am using DirtyUnicorn and I don't want to change because all the ROMs are same.

Is there any ROM which is unique??????? Any?????
    Don't say that I should change theme or launcher. It just makes the availability of ROMs a joke.

I am still waiting for MIUI or Lewa if it arrives.

If you dont like them then by all means make one yourself. Just wait MIUI is also gonna look alot like the rest. Android is made for you to change things to make it your own. So use a launcher and a custom theme or make your own rom.

Also if you are looking for verity then you should not have gotten a nexus. Get a Touchwiz or Sense device. This way you have more options.
    If you dont like them then by all means make one yourself. Just wait MIUI is also gonna look alot like the rest. Android is made for you to change things to make it your own. So use a launcher and a custom theme or make your own rom.

Also if you are looking for verity then you should not have gotten a nexus. Get a Touchwiz or Sense device. This way you have more options.
    See the second post.

I am not against devs and ROMs, but my only thought is that they are all same.

Even once we used to have great Paranoid ROMs with great features, but now it is nothing but same as all CMs.
    With Android 5.0 Google has done something that is now killing Custom ROMs. The ROMs are becoming similar or I should say same.

MIUI is different because they are doing different, but all others are just mixing functions and giving you CM ROMs.
    See the second post.

I am not against devs and ROMs, but my only thought is that they are all same.

Even once we used to have great Paranoid ROMs with great features, but now it is nothing but same as all CMs.
    With Android 5.0 Google has done something that is now killing Custom ROMs. The ROMs are becoming similar or I should say same.

MIUI is different because they are doing different, but all others are just mixing functions and giving you CM ROMs.

Well first thing is MIUI is not really different. They are just coping others as well. Notice how they are still on KK? Yes many features are the Same in alot of roms and that is because users have come to expect those and Devs are working like crazy to get them moved up to 5.0 and working. As for them giving you CM roms that is where your wrong. Many have completely ditched CM roms sources due to their dumb ways of merging untested code.

I wont even talk about Paranoid android. They never came up with anything original.

Android at the base is all supposed to look the same. This is what Google Whats and got it with the nasty thing they call the Material design.

I saw your second post. My answer will still be the same. The days of themed roms are over. You are given a clean base to make it your way. So take that and make it yours with a theme and launchers and such.
    The problem is that we all think that the developers actually develop something.
    The matter of the fact is that they only tinker with what Google gave them.
    So I wouldn't hold my breath for a sense like rom that has its own framework.
    No one has got time for that. Big things come from big companies. Or maybe from a team of good friends.