All Sensors are Disabled

Search This thread
Jul 25, 2018
Ok quick story first:
My 6t was exposed to a bit of water. Wasn't a lot, (not completely submerged) but water did manage to get inside. As soon as that happened, (while the phone was still on) every sensor on the device almost just ceased to exist (ambient light, proximity, gyroscope, etc. Later, the phone started to prevent itself from booting which lasted until it dried (boot animation would show for a bit before the screen went black. but recovery and fastboot mode worked fine). I opened up the device and took out the motherboard and dried everything out. upon putting everything back together, still all sensors don't work. I even used msm tool to reset everything possible back to stock. still no sensors. The device doesn't even recognize that it has any sensors. In fact, the output of "adb shell dumpsys sensorservice" returns:
"No Sensors on the device
devInitCheck : 0"

in the sensors multitool app, the only things that show up are battery, gps, and wifi. Nothing else shows up in the hamburger menu list.

Is there any way to restore the sensors functionality? my guess is that the water triggered some sort of switch that turned them all off. There's no way that ALL of them got water damaged to the point of not even being recognized by the phone that they exist?
Other than this, the phone is in perfect operating condition. Everything inside and out looks in great condition and there is no weird behavior. screen works, speakers work, microphones work, cameras work, vibration motor works, buttons and alert slider works, etc.

Please, any insights into this situation are MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-141923.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-141923.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 4
Jul 25, 2018
You need to disconnect the battery and completely dry it, now.
The device if not already permanently damaged will be, sooner then latter...
well thats the thing. i already did disconnect the battery and dry it out. but if it was permanently damaged how come it is every single sensor and nothing else? wouldn't it make more sense if only some of the sensors were damaged? and if a sensor or two was damaged wouldn't it be likely that something else got damaged too? however thats not that case. Every single sensor is just completely gone as if they were all disconnected/removed from the phone entirely (as opposed to present but not working correctly). Thats why physical damage just doesn't seem likely to be what happened.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
i completely disconnected and removed the motherboard out from the phone and let it air dry alongside the rest of the device with a fan blowing on it
How long?
The BGA chipsets may not have dried out. The solder pads are underneath...
One reason I recommended using the drying agent anhydrous isopropyl alcohol... with care.
Then heat plus fan for 72 hours.

Jul 25, 2018
How long?
One reason I recommended using the drying agent anhydrous isopropyl alcohol... with care.
It was only a bit more than overnight, so I guess I could try for longer :/
However, it has already been over 2 days since the incident so I would have thought everything would have dried out by now.

Reactions: galaxys

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
However, it has already been over 2 days since the incident so I would have thought everything would have dried out by now.
If it gets under the chipsets it going to take a lot longer than that. A temperature of 100F or so would help as would the anhydrous isopropyl alcohol. Also sit on edge rather than flat.

Jul 25, 2018
ok. I should also mention that when I would try to boot up the phone, it seemed like it would take just a little bit longer to boot than usual. not sure how or if it's related but that's what I noticed.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
ok. I should also mention that when I would try to boot up the phone, it seemed like it would take just a little bit longer to boot than usual. not sure how or if it's related but that's what I noticed.
If it's still wet you don't want power applied; electrolysis and accelerated corrosion may occur. If that happens on a BGA chipset and damages a pad by shorting it out or causing an open circuit there's no practical way to repair it.

Jul 25, 2018
I guess it really was leftover water. I let the motherboard dry out in the sun, then put it all back together again. Immediately I noticed that it boots a lot quicker now (like it used to) and now all the sensors register (and work as they should).

So at the end of all of this I am left with much the same suspicions as I had when the issue arouse. There must be some sort of contacts on the board that disable all the sensors (to prevent further damage) when they have continuity, like in the case of water. There might also be another pair of contacts that prevents the whole OS from booting like I initially experienced with the phone shutting off mid-boot like I explained earlier.

So I guess what I got out of this (and for anyone else in the future with similar issues) is that whatever it is that isn't turning on, it's probably not damaged. Instead, it's probably just disabling itself as a safety measure to prevent further damage and will work normally once all water is completely dried. The best you can do is to dry out all the water as quickly as possible, and don't use your device until then.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I guess it really was leftover water. I let the motherboard dry out in the sun, then put it all back together again. Immediately I noticed that it boots a lot quicker now (like it used to) and now all the sensors register (and work as they should).

So at the end of all of this I am left with much the same suspicions as I had when the issue arouse. There must be some sort of contacts on the board that disable all the sensors (to prevent further damage) when they have continuity, like in the case of water. There might also be another pair of contacts that prevents the whole OS from booting like I initially experienced with the phone shutting off mid-boot like I explained earlier.

So I guess what I got out of this (and for anyone else in the future with similar issues) is that whatever it is that isn't turning on, it's probably not damaged. Instead, it's probably just disabling itself as a safety measure to prevent further damage and will work normally once all water is completely dried. The best you can do is to dry out all the water as quickly as possible, and don't use your device until then.
Yay.
It may still fail in the future though.
Water damage to electronics and electrical systems like a car's is insidious. I do not use the word insidious lightly or as an exaggeration here.
There's absolutely no internal circuit water protection. The C ports have external water protection on most models now though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How long?
    If it gets under the chipsets it going to take a lot longer than that. A temperature of 100F or so would help as would the anhydrous isopropyl alcohol. Also sit on edge rather than flat.
    If it's still wet you don't want power applied; electrolysis and accelerated corrosion may occur. If that happens on a BGA chipset and damages a pad by shorting it out or causing an open circuit there's no practical way to repair it.