All U.S. V30/V3O+/V30S will need stock firmware, not LOS-based custom ROMs. When?

Search This thread

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
The end is near!

Actually, for all of us on AT&T, we have a tiny bit more time than we might've assumed. It appears that the actual date of AT&T's 3G shutdown is February 22. I'm probably going to use my beloved V30 right up to the bitter end.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
The end is near!

Actually, for all of us on AT&T, we have a tiny bit more time than we might've assumed. It appears that the actual date of AT&T's 3G shutdown is February 22. I'm probably going to use my beloved V30 right up to the bitter end.

OK, so one month away.

I'm curious how it's going to work out. I was sent a carrier unlocked Galaxy Note 9 by AT&T which I have rooted. When I am at home, it still drops down to 3G HSPA for phone calls. I don't see it using VoLTE. I don't see any settings for Wi-Fi calling.

Of course, my AT&T signal at home is almost non-existent, which is why I have an AT&T microcell -- which generates an AT&T HSPA signal in my house. 5 bars inside the house! < from microcell in my office vs 0/1 bar (from AT&T tower) in my driveway. We live at back of subdivision, down a slope. Bad geography. Halfway out of the subdivision, I get bars.

So, when AT&T "shuts" down their 3G will they also deactivate the functionality of the AT&T microcell devices? It's GPS locked to my address. I have one at my mother's house also. I'm not asking AT&T customer service because I would doubt any answer those script jockeys would give.

Luckily I have Google Voice, so if necessary I can turn on Wi-Fi calling through that.

Last edited:

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
I'm curious how it's going to work out. I was sent a carrier unlocked Galaxy S9 by AT&T which I have rooted. When I am at home, it still drops down to 3G HSPA for phone calls. I don't see it using VoLTE. I don't see any settings for Wi-Fi calling.

AT&T sent you an S9... for free? If so, then I need to try to get one out of them, as well.

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
where you been dude?

Umm... <shrug> haha. I haven't been keeping up too closely, but I didn't see anything about it in this thread. I had to google it just now and, yeah, it looks like some people are getting the S9 and even the Note 9, though probably only because the el cheapo phones went out of stock. We were sent one of those el cheapo phones last Summer, but it hasn't been activated. Maybe if I contact them and don't mention it, they'll send me something better, like the S9. I'll definitely try that before buying a phone.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
AT&T sent you an S9... for free? If so, then I need to try to get one out of them, as well.

Umm... <shrug> haha. I haven't been keeping up too closely, but I didn't see anything about it in this thread. I had to google it just now and, yeah, it looks like some people are getting the S9 and even the Note 9, though probably only because the el cheapo phones went out of stock. We were sent one of those el cheapo phones last Summer, but it hasn't been activated. Maybe if I contact them and don't mention it, they'll send me something better, like the S9. I'll definitely try that before buying a phone.
I don't even think he contacted them! I thought i remembered they just sent it because the V30 wouldn't work any more.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't even think he contacted them! I thought i remembered they just sent it because the V30 wouldn't work any more.
Yeah, and it's Note 9. Don't know why I typed Galaxy S9 earlier.

SM-N960U1: factory unlocked version. Not even AT&T variant.

Yeah I assumed it would be crap when they said they were sending me a "free" phone. I actually bought a used S10 off eBay, while I waited for the AT&T phone, intending to give that bottom of the barrel phone to my oldest daughter. I didn't want to switch to the S10 until I actually received the phone because although I wasn't going to use it (I thought), someone else could.

So, I was surprised. Still, I only switched from V30 when the V30 no longer worked.

Screenshot_2021-11-30-13-08-09_3.jpg

Then the Galaxy S10 (although on the right bootloader and firmware) could not be bootloader unlocked. Guy on Telegram consulted with his supplier and said it was a "passive partition" and it occasionally happens. So, while in the midst of saying goodbye and getting a refund, I mentioned I also had a Note 9. He sent me code, it worked and it cost me less.

Afraid of accidentally updating the Note 9, I didn't connect to Wi-Fi nor even put in the SIM card provided until the process was finished.

I used combination of Swift Backup and Titanium Backup to transfer everything over. I haven't even visited the Note 9 forum. My phone is bootloader unlocked, rooted. I'm on the last version of Magisk which works well for this phone (according to the Telegram guy).

There's one app I can't get to work right but only because I refuse to update that app to newest version which always puts an constant icon in the Notification Bar. (EDIT: I've now uninstalled it and once again restored it from older Titanium Backup copy. I set it up and for now it seems to be acting OK.)

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Here's the latest dates...
  • AT&T HSPA: February 22
  • Legacy Sprint CDMA (owned by U.S. T-Mobile now): March 31
  • U.S. T-Mobile HSPA: July 1
  • Verizon CDMA: December 31, 2022
German corporate owner Deutsche Telekom also uses T-Mobile name in other countries, so important to note it's only U.S. T-Mobile shutting down their HSPA. ;) From Wikipedia: "T-Mobile is the brand name used by the mobile communications subsidiaries of the German telecommunications company Deutsche Telekom AG. The brand is also active in the Czech Republic (T-Mobile Czech Republic), the Netherlands (T-Mobile Netherlands), Poland (T-Mobile Polska), Romania (Telekom Romania) and the United States (T-Mobile US)."

Dates gathered from here:

AT&T says alarm industry is trying to ‘slam the brakes’ on its 3G shutdown

02/16/2022
All of the Big 3 wireless carriers are shutting down their 3G networks to make way for 5G. AT&T is first in line February 22 (HSPA), with T-Mobile scheduled to shut down the CDMA network it inherited from Sprint on March 31 and T-Mobile’s 3G (HSPA) network by July 1. Verizon is last, with a 3G (CDMA) shutdown planned for December 31, 2022.

The AICC recently told Fierce that it asked for 10 extra months so that it would get the same amount of time from AT&T that Verizon provided. Pandemic-inspired chip shortages, supply chain issues and labor shortages have meant disruptions in their ability to make the necessary upgrades, the AICC said.

AICC estimates there are close to 2 million upgrades left to do – 500,000 to 600,000 emergency home health monitoring systems protecting seniors and around 1.5 million traditional burglar and fire alarm systems protecting “tens of millions of people” frequenting commercial properties and homes.

However, the AICC said that doesn’t include the millions of emergency tracking systems in older cars, including 911 and collision avoidance, ankle bracelets for violent criminals, school bus tracking systems and rural 3G phone systems.

Last edited:

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
Well, it's February 23rd. I was under the impression that the world was going to end overnight, but my US998 still works on AT&T this morning. I've even gotten a couple of spam calls already. I don't know if AT&T is delaying its 3G shutdown or if it's just a process that started yesterday and may not affect me for days or weeks. It's probably the latter, but we'll see. Either way, I feel like a rebel living on the edge for now.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, it's February 23rd. I was under the impression that the world was going to end overnight, but my US998 still works on AT&T this morning. I've even gotten a couple of spam calls already. I don't know if AT&T is delaying its 3G shutdown or if it's just a process that started yesterday and may not affect me for days or weeks. It's probably the latter, but we'll see. Either way, I feel like a rebel living on the edge for now.

As if this afternoon, still getting HSPA calls on AT&T with my Note 9. See screenshot below.

1) they haven't shut off 3G yet, in metro Atlanta. Temporarily dropped down from LTE to HSPA for the incoming phone call. Went back to LTE immediately afterwards.

2) does VoLTE not work on this phone? 🤔 They sent it to me to replace my US998 -- but I did unlock bootloader and root. Possible I screwed something up for VoLTE to work on AT&T. No big deal. I use Google Voice, so I'll activate "data only" VoIP phone calls instead of carrier calls when 3G finally disappears.

20220225_131840~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey00

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Hmm. I don't use Google Voice, but I wonder if I could set up a number and then enable call forwarding on my AT&T number to the Google Voice number.
Yes you can. I actually do that for voicemail, because the carriers didn't provide visual voicemail (in the past) for free. With GV, I setup "missed call forwarding" to my GV account and recorded messages there. This gives me transcriptions, downloads, and visual-voicemail capabilities as well... for free. Another benefit: Unlike carrier VM systems, there seems to be little or no limit to how many messages you can store... no more nonsense "mailbox full" crap.

At one point, I mistakenly setup full forwarding, which is why I know that can work... basically, my phone didn't ring, but callers went to voicemail and got to leave a message... it was a nice quiet day, haha!

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
At one point, I mistakenly setup full forwarding, which is why I know that can work... basically, my phone didn't ring, but callers went to voicemail and got to leave a message... it was a nice quiet day, haha!
If the phone doesn't ring and forwarded calls go directly to voicemail, which it seems like from your experience and some more googling that I just did, then that isn't going to work too well as a shutdown circumvention. I need to be able to take calls. I suppose that Google Voice isn't a good long-term solution for me, after all, unless I want to start using and handing out a new number (my Google Voice number) to all of my contacts, which I'd rather not have to do. It's maybe a temporary solution if/when 3G service ends, though. Thanks for the info, regardless!

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
If the phone doesn't ring and forwarded calls go directly to voicemail, which it seems like from your experience and some more googling that I just did, then that isn't going to work too well as a shutdown circumvention. I need to be able to take calls. I suppose that Google Voice isn't a good long-term solution for me, after all, unless I want to start using and handing out a new number (my Google Voice number) to all of my contacts, which I'd rather not have to do. It's maybe a temporary solution if/when 3G service ends, though. Thanks for the info, regardless!
What I did was years ago when I switched from Verizon to a regional carrier was port my Verizon number to Google Voice.

Everyone had that number.

Then any "carrier number" assigned was irrelevant, only known by me.

Since then over the years I've switched to an AT&T MVNO and then to AT&T itself.

But my Google Voice number (my original former Verizon number) has stayed the same.

You can port your number to Google Voice. Then get a new irrelevant carrier number.

Last edited:

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Well, it didn't ring for me because I had it set to DND on GV. I had to do that because otherwise what happens is that the missed call gets sent to GV after about 4-5 rings, then it rings there for another 4-5 rings before going to voicemail. I don't want people to wonder what's going on, so I activated DND on GV to eliminate the second set. In your case, when you do "all call forward" to GV, it won't ring on your phone, but WILL ring on GV, so you won't have double-set-ringing. And the voicemail will work there.

Bottom line, you can easily try all this for no cost and little effort. Setup your GV, setup a VM there, and then be sure it's not on DND. Install the GV app on the phone (I don't know if you really need it, but I expect you might...) and then set call forwarding via the star-code for your carrier. Then call your carrier number and see what happens. You may have to tweak things here and there (I'm happy to help, as I've tinkered in GV a decent amount)... but if all else fails, you simply star-code to turn off forwarding and you're back to normal.

Osprey00

Jul 21, 2009
You can port your number to Google Voice. Then get a new irrelevant carrier number.

I've been reading about porting your number and keep seeing that doing so will automatically close your carrier account, which worries me a little, as I don't want to leave AT&T and other family members are on the account. Even if nothing happens but my particular line is dropped, I imagine that adding a new line might involve getting a new SIM card. Overall, it sounds more disruptive and like a hassle than I'm looking for at the moment. It's probably what I'd like to do eventually, though. Thanks.

Well, it didn't ring for me because I had it set to DND on GV. I had to do that because otherwise what happens is that the missed call gets sent to GV after about 4-5 rings, then it rings there for another 4-5 rings before going to voicemail. I don't want people to wonder what's going on, so I activated DND on GV to eliminate the second set. In your case, when you do "all call forward" to GV, it won't ring on your phone, but WILL ring on GV, so you won't have double-set-ringing. And the voicemail will work there.

Bottom line, you can easily try all this for no cost and little effort. Setup your GV, setup a VM there, and then be sure it's not on DND. Install the GV app on the phone (I don't know if you really need it, but I expect you might...) and then set call forwarding via the star-code for your carrier. Then call your carrier number and see what happens. You may have to tweak things here and there (I'm happy to help, as I've tinkered in GV a decent amount)... but if all else fails, you simply star-code to turn off forwarding and you're back to normal.

Thanks. I probably will try it, since there's no harm in it. At worst, I'll have a Google Voice number that I won't use, but eventually will.

AT&T sent me one of their Radiant Core phones, which, according to the specs, is a terrible phone. Can you even use Android with only 1GB of RAM nowadays? It's still in the box and I want to keep it that way. If/when my 3G finally shuts down, I'd much rather switch to using Google Voice on my V30 than switch over to that cruddy free phone. Hah.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I've been reading about porting your number and keep seeing that doing so will automatically close your carrier account, which worries me a little, as I don't want to leave AT&T and other family members are on the account. Even if nothing happens but my particular line is dropped, I imagine that adding a new line might involve getting a new SIM card. Overall, it sounds more disruptive and like a hassle than I'm looking for at the moment. It's probably what I'd like to do eventually, though. Thanks.
Yes, when you port your number out it will shut down the carrier account if it's the main number. So, yeah if other family members are on the account, don't do that. Unless you port their numbers first (even temporarily) to some other service or somehow first move them off your account.

For me, I waited until I moved from Verizon. Since then I've had 4 different services. But still the same Google Voice number (my original Verizon assigned number). That's all my friends have known for about 20 years.

======
If I had to do it right now, I would port out to Google Voice -- then immediately sign up with AT&T again, get some throwaway number. My "real" number would then be at Google Voice.

With Google Voice, you can use pure VoIP (even on a tablet) or piggy back onto a carrier number.

When I was visiting Brazil for a few weeks, I had a "worldwide" business data sim card and still had full use of my Google Voice number for calls and texts. In another hemisphere.

My wife also has Google Voice.

Last edited:

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
I don't believe it is, but I'm also not on Verizon anymore. I'm on TW (Total Wireless... aka Tracfone... aka Verizon again, it seems). That said, my wife uses the built carrier VM, and she doesn't get transcriptions and such. It does give her a visual look that shows what she has, the number that left it, how long it is, etc. And she can play them from the interface without having to "call in". But there's no transcription.

When I said "this" gives me transcriptions, downloads, etc... I was referring to GV which does all that for free, and always has. Of course, GV also provides wifi calling (before it was available on the carrier) as well, so when we were out of the country, I could make calls in the US for free over wifi, when necessary.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
When I said "this" gives me transcriptions, downloads, etc... I was referring to GV which does all that for free, and always has. Of course, GV also provides wifi calling (before it was available on the carrier) as well, so when we were out of the country, I could make calls in the US for free over wifi, when necessary.

You know this, but telling others...

With Google Voice, you can either use pure VoIP (with carrier data or Wi-Fi) or piggy back on carrier's number to "forward" incoming Google Voice calls to your phone. When you make a call you can also use those choices -- make call with carrier data/Wi-Fi or use carrier's number to initiate the call (while recipients SEE your Google Voice number).

There's reasons to do either, but back when data was slow and janky using the carrier's number to invisibly piggyback was more reliable.

Then other options are to initiate or receive Google Voice call to other devices besides your phone -- like laptop, tablet. Whichever you are closest to -- if you wish.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All U.S. V30/V3O+/V30S will need stock firmware, not LOS-based custom ROMs. When?
    3G CDMA and HSPA is going away. U.S. users will NEED VoLTE and/or Wi-Fi calling for carrier phone calls. V30 LOS-based ROMs do not have that and will never have that.

By "all", I mean customers of U.S. carriers Verizon, T-mobile (& Sprint), AT&T -- and all MVNOs (Straight Talk, Ting, etc) using those major carriers. There are some regional carriers (not MVNOs) who have their own towers and FCC bandwidth licenses, i.e. parts of Appalachia, upper Michigan peninsula, remote areas of Texas, parts of Alaska, for which this timetable ostensibly seems not to apply. BUT IT DOES. All these regional carriers have roaming agreements with at least one of the major national carriers for when their customers travel outside their isolated regional towers coverage. If you can't make phone calls in another state or even another part of your state, what good is roaming? :rolleyes:

No, this doesn't affect people outside the U.S., unless they come to visit U.S. (tourist, work, school).

• In 6 months, you will not be able to use LOS-based custom ROMs with V30 on Verizon or T-mobile and T-mobile owned Sprint (that brand is going away).
    • In 18 months, you will not be able to use LOS-based custom ROMs with V30 on AT&T.

* As of December 31, 2020 Verizon is dropping 3G CDMA to repurpose bandwidth for 5G.
    After that date, to make any phone calls on Verizon you will need Verizon VoLTE/Wi-Fi Calling. No V30 LOS-based custom ROMs have carrier VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling or will ever have those features. You will need stock Verizon firmware and an account with VoLTE enabled by Verizon. It can be rooted stock firmware; you can use Magisk modules to add custom ROM type features -- but it needs to be on Verizon firmware for VoLTE. Verizon calls it "HD Calling". That feature has to be enabled on a Verizon IMEI phone. People who have it enabled in their Verizon account can then use any North American variant flashed to Verizon VS996 (even rooted) firmware. Some people use older Verizon phones to enable the "HD Calling" (VoLTE) feature then switch SIM card to their non-Verizon V30 (like LS998 V30+ converted to VS996). Another workaround is to use a Verizon MVNO like Total Wireless which gives you "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" (a.k.a. VoLTE) while using Verizon towers. You don't need Verizon's permission. However, if you have native Verizon VS996, you don't have to worry about such workarounds.

* T-mobile users are in the same predicament, almost same timeline.
    In January 2021, T-mobile will be dropping 3G HSPA for same reasons. At that date, T-mobile users will need VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling to make carrier phones calls. Those features only come with V30 stock firmware (or stock-based ROMs). However, T-mobile is less stingy than Verizon. They also allow V30 phones with US998 firmware to have VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling with T-mobile SIM. Whereas Verizon not only requires Verizon stock firmware, VoLTE needs to have been activated on a phone with Verizon IMEI at some point.

* AT&T will also eventually drop 3G HSPA -- but not until February 2022 (18 months from now).
    So, for U.S. V30 owners who wish to run V30 LOS custom ROMs a little longer, you should check out AT&T Prepaid. It's a lot cheaper than "regular" AT&T (Postpaid, a.k.a. contract AT&T), but AT&T Prepaid is only for people who own their phones (not financed). It you own your phone outright, it's a GREAT deal! AT&T Prepaid uses same AT&T servers as AT&T Postpaid. On the 8GB plan I am not throttled whatsoever (70 Mbps - 90 Mbps)and have very low pings (low lag). See plan rates at that link.

Right now, AT&T (Prepaid and Postpaid) still allows you to Bring Your Own Phone. I have three US998 on AT&T; two of them are on AT&T Prepaid, one on AT&T Postpaid. And AT&T won't shut down 3G HSPA for another 18 months!

What happens when AT&T finally does shut down HSPA? :confused:
    AT&T only gives VoLTE to AT&T IMEI phones, as well as iPhones and some other phones I would never own. Even though I'm a long-time AT&T customer, I've never used an AT&T branded phone on AT&T. I always buy carrier-unlocked Android flagship phones with specific checklist of features I want. I'm an AT&T customer with three native US998 V30/V30+ for myself, my wife, my mother -- so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it in February 2022. Will probably give my mother a AT&T V35. Maybe my wife, too. (V35 is basically a V40 in a V30 case; no notch.) Also, by 2022 LG may get their act together and produce a good phone for the LG V70 or LG V80. I may not own V30 by then. Or AT&T may decide to VoLTE whitelist US998 V30 like they whitelisted carrier-unlocked V35...

18 months is a long time. Anything can happen in 18 months!

To reiterate, any MVNOs (Straight Talk, Ting, etc.) which use Verizon, T-mobile/Sprint, and AT&T will also be affected by these upcoming 3G shutdown/VoLTE required decisions.

_________

When the deadline does hit -- like for Verizon or T-mobile and you need to stay on that carrier for some reason -- you can flash back to stock firmware via KDZ with Dev Patched LGUP or via TWRP-flashable zips (stock ROMs) located in the V30 Development section.

Again, if you don't want to do this in the next six months (you still want to run V30 LOS-based ROMs), and you don't NEED Verizon or T-mobile (Sprint), simply switch to AT&T Prepaid and you can postpone until February 2022! Yes, you could also use an AT&T MVNO, but I'm not a fan of most AT&T MVNOs. Most MVNOs throttle to low speeds (like Cricket) and/or have high pings (lag). The only exception I'm aware of is Red Pocket MNVO, which is actually pretty good. Just make sure you choose their "GSMA" (AT&T) SIM card -- since they have a choice of carrier towers. You want AT&T to be the underlying provider, to keep 3G HPSA as long as possible.

att_prepaid.png

red_pocket.png

_______

Yes, XDA News had a write up of this couple of days ago. See link below. But it was more general -- focusing on what phones you needed to have for each U.S. carrier's VoLTE. This post is more specific -- about not being able to use LOS-based custom ROMs on any LG V30 variant phone when the deadline hits, and how to DELAY that deadline. ;)

t-mobile-volte-810x298_c.jpg

T-Mobile will require VoLTE for all phones starting January 2021, AT&T to follow suit in February 2022 – Here’s what that means for you
    https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mobile-att-require-volte-phone-calls-shut-down-3g/
    Is anyone working on a debloated stock ROM? Would love to have VOLTE but the stock ROM is just full of crap..
    No one works on stock, but me.
    I'm AiX rom creator amd developer.
    For sorrow due some earlier problems with some unnormal users here, I do not provide firmware here, at XDA, and provide it only in my Telegram group/channel.
    SO i activated a GSMA SIM with Red Pocket. I used US998 for a while and then tried this H931 Rom. It seemed to work fine but it said my SD card was corrupted and needed to be formatted. I didnt of course because it is packed with all my stuff....oly seems to be an issue on this rom? (tried it twice) all fine on US998

Thoughts?

also, is this the only ROM you can think of with the GSMA that will get voWIFI, voLTE, VVM etc?

What about the CDMAS....I think we said nothing will work?

@ChazzMatt feel free to interject ;)

Let's sum it up:

1) AT&T / Red Pocket GSMA: US998 ROM supports VoLTE, but NOT VoWiFi, nor menus. H931 ROM will give you everything, but we only have an older (mid Oreo) version and will probably never get anything newer. You can try H933 ROM (use Frankenstein via Nougat).

2) Sprint / Red Pocket CDMAS: LS998 phones (IMEI) with LS998 ROM (stock KDZ or JohnFawkes) should support everything (Red Pocket specifically mentions it here). US998 ROM lacks some Sprint LTE bands, plus TMO is about to retire Sprints CMDA business.

3) T-Mobile / Red Pocket GSMT: US998 ROM supports VoLTE and VoWiFi and menus; possibly VVM too. If you have good TMO reception in your area, it is the most functional choice on US998. Reception should only improve as TMO starts using 800 and 850 MHZ bands from Sprint. The US998 ROM supports most TMO LTE bands, although not 600 MHz B71.

4) Verizon / Red Pocket CDMA: Can only be activated Verizon phones (IMEI) but should work on US998 ROM after moving activated SIM card over, according to several XDA reports. Of course VS996 ROM should work even better. Red Pocket offers VoLTE on CDMA, but NOT VoWiFi. Other MVNOs may be better choice until Red Pocket starts offering VoWiFi.

The following two Red Pocket support pages about VoLTE and VoWiFi have been kept updated throughout this year:

What is VoLTE and can I use it with my Red Pocket service?

What is WiFi calling and can I use it with my Red Pocket service?

Generally the most complete support for a carrier's features are always with their branded phones and ROMs. V30 holds up pretty well for a 3.5 year old phone, and its flexibility is incredibly thanks to Frankenstein and WTF. But some compromises are inevitable. I think a compelling case can be made for the combo of TMO/GSMT and US998 ROM (on ANY North American IMEI -- except TMO's H932).

Edit: May I suggest you consider getting a Google Voice number? This will give you WiFi Calling and visual voice mail regardless of carrier support, plus the ability to make/receive calls and text messages on multiple devices (phones/PCs/tablets). You can keep your current carrier number and use the Google Voice number as your primary (I do this). Or you can port your current carrier number to Google Voice (keep it as your primary) and get a new carrier number which nobody will ever see (my wife did that). Setting it up and using it is outside the topic of this thread, but it is relevant for those who depend on VoWiFi. Nothing to do with VoLTE though, which is for when you are outside WiFi range.
    That's when you have a choice to use the report fuction. People like myself will never go to telegram. I still have my V30 and would like to tinker with it.
    Yeah, say what you will about xda rules being overbearing or draconian, but there's a certain security to it you won't find in the Wild West that is TG. That freedom from lawlessness is a real false sense of progress that flies in the face of security and due process