All U.S. V30/V3O+/V30S will need stock firmware, not LOS-based custom ROMs. When?

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
@TheDannemand @ChazzMatt I am switching today from Red Pocket GSMA to GSMT....Will I have to reflash US998 and start from scratch to get the voLTE/voWIFI menus show up?

Or will a simple reboot get them available....
Again, I haven't tried it myself, but I cannot see any reason you would need to reflash. Replacing the SIM and updating APN should be all. Or maybe perform a Network Settings Reset from the settings menu.

But before you switch, notice the warning thread linked by ChazzMatt. I am linking it again below:

We don't know if this applies to all new SIM cards from TMO and TMO MVNOs. But if you received an X3 SIM do NOT go through with the switch, as US998 does not have the IMS carrier configuration for it.

If (for whatever reason) you don't like the service you are getting on GSMT, you can switch back to GSMA. But you must have an unused GSMA SIM card. Red Pocket cannot re-activate previously used SIM cards.

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
Again, I haven't tried it myself, but I cannot see any reason you would need to reflash. Replacing the SIM and updating APN should be all. Or maybe perform a Network Settings Reset from the settings menu.

But before you switch, notice the warning thread linked by ChazzMatt. I am linking it again below:

We don't know if this applies to all new SIM cards from TMO and TMO MVNOs. But if you received an X3 SIM do NOT go through with the switch, as US998 does not have the IMS carrier configuration for it.

If (for whatever reason) you don't like the service you are getting on GSMT, you can switch back to GSMA. But you must have an unused GSMA SIM card. Red Pocket cannot re-activate previously used SIM cards.

I just confirmed from Red Pocket that they don't use the new X3... They still use the V1 triple cut cards

Last edited:

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
I just confirmed from Red Pocket that they don't use the new X3... They still use the V1 triple cut cards
Good!

As mentioned previously, make sure you ask Red Pocket (chat or phone) to activate VoLTE and WiFi Calling. While VoLTE should be on by default, I don't think WiFi Calling is on by default. See the Red Pocket support page linked below (same as I linked previously):

https://help.redpocket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022031312

Reactions: islandfever

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
Good!

As mentioned previously, make sure you ask Red Pocket (chat or phone) to activate VoLTE and WiFi Calling. While VoLTE should be on by default, I don't think WiFi Calling is on by default. See the Red Pocket support page linked below (same as I linked previously):

https://help.redpocket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022031312
I will WARN everyone on here that Red Pocket has the MOST inept series of customer service reps.....the amount of time I have had to spend with them on changing SIM cards is simply amazing....Dont do it if you want sanity

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
I will WARN everyone on here that Red Pocket has the MOST inept series of customer service reps.....the amount of time I have had to spend with them on changing SIM cards is simply amazing....Dont do it if you want sanity
I am sorry to hear that :confused:

I've switched several times myself, as well as a few times for my wife, and they all went very smoothly. I was prepared that it might take a while, but they took just a few minutes each time. Admittedly last time was over a year ago. I don't know if COVID has affected their level of service.

One thing to keep in mind is that, because Red Pocket provides service on all four carrier networks, switching to a different network isn't just replacing a SIM, it's actually porting the number to another network. Porting to or from CDMA networks in particularly is more involved because these networks consider both the phone and the SIM, and their provisioning is more complex. Between GSM networks it's just a SIM. I remember in the past when I was on Sprint MVNOs, porting in and out could take a few days.

But you porting from GSMA (AT&T) to GSMT (T-Mobile) really shouldn't be hard.

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
I am sorry to hear that :confused:

I've switched several times myself, as well as a few times for my wife, and they all went very smoothly. I was prepared that it might take a while, but they took just a few minutes each time. Admittedly last time was over a year ago. I don't know if COVID has affected their level of service.

One thing to keep in mind is that, because Red Pocket provides service on all four carrier networks, switching to a different network isn't just replacing a SIM, it's actually porting the number to another network. Porting to or from CDMA networks in particularly is more involved because these networks consider both the phone and the SIM, and their provisioning is more complex. Between GSM networks it's just a SIM. I remember in the past when I was on Sprint MVNOs, porting in and out could take a few days.

But you porting from GSMA (AT&T) to GSMT (T-Mobile) really shouldn't be hard.
It was hard when they kept losing my plan that I paid for and then claiming I didnt pay for it....a mess....

Anyway I am finally on GSMT and US99830b

While voWIFI works and it toggles on, with no ability to change e911 like I aused to it doesnt have the icon on status bar...

voLTE: while it says in call log etc that I have "HD" next the phone icon I dont see anywhere in settings yet where I can toggle voLTE on or off

Reactions: TheDannemand

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
It was hard when they kept losing my plan that I paid for and then claiming I didnt pay for it....a mess....

Anyway I am finally on GSMT and US99830b

While voWIFI works and it toggles on, with no ability to change e911 like I aused to it doesnt have the icon on status bar...

voLTE: while it says in call log etc that I have "HD" next the phone icon I dont see anywhere in settings yet where I can toggle voLTE on or off
Glad to hear you got it working.

I suppose the lack of menus and icons you are seeing (or rather not seeing) is why people have reported that VoLTE doesn't work on Pie. It DOES work, and is enabled by default, but there are no menus, so people understandably think it isn't there. I assume you can use the Hidden menu to enable the VoLTE indicator?

And great to have confirmation that VoWiFi works and can be toggled in the menu. Thank you for confirming that.

I understand you are missing features to change e911 info which you had on Sprint. I am guessing that is performed differently for each carrier. I don't even remember seeing it when I had an H932 (TMO V30) on TMO postpaid.

I think you need a carrier phone (or carrier ROM) to get more features than this on a given carrier. US998 is after all an Open Market model, not an All Carriers model.

I wonder if the problem with your account may have been the timing: While you can switch SIM anytime during a billing month, switching network should be done at the end of a month, since the remainder of the month is lost. It starts the new month on the new network.

Good job!

Last edited:

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
Glad to hear you got it working.

I suppose the lack of menus and icons you are seeing (or rather not seeing) is why people have reported that VoLTE doesn't work on Pie. It DOES work, and is enabled by default, but there are no menus, so people understandably think it isn't there. I assume you can use the Hidden menu to enable the VoLTE indicator?

And great to have confirmation that VoWiFi works and can be toggled in the menu. Thank you for confirming that.

I understand you are missing features to change e911 info which you had on Sprint. I am guessing that is performed differently for each carrier. I don't even remember seeing it when I had an H932 (TMO V30) on TMO postpaid.

I think you need a carrier phone (or carrier ROM) to get more features than this on a given carrier. US998 is after all an Open Market model, not an All Carriers model.

I wonder if the problem with your account may have been the timing: While you can switch SIM anytime during a billing month, switching network should be done at the end of a month, since the remainder of the month is lost. It starts the new month on the new network.

Good job!
The hidden menu method has not allowed the icon to show up on sfaus bar... And there is no icon for wifi calling either... No toggle button for it either...

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
The hidden menu method has not allowed the icon to show up on sfaus bar... And there is no icon for wifi calling either... No toggle button for it either...
That is annoying indeed. And not the impression I got from other reports of US998 on TMO. Again this is likely the lack of VoLTE on Pie that others have been complaining about.

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
That is annoying indeed. And not the impression I got from other reports of US998 on TMO. Again this is likely the lack of VoLTE on Pie that others have been complaining about.
VoLTE worked no problem with the GSMA card though... Just not vowifi

On the call log I am getting a HD icon on the phone icon...is that indication of VoLTE?

Only way I know wifi calling is working is that I can make a call and when I swipe down on status bar I see wifi calling on bottom in place of red Pocket

Reactions: TheDannemand

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
VoLTE worked no problem with the GSMA card though... Just not vowifi

On the call log I am getting a HD icon on the phone icon...is that indication of VoLTE?

Only way I know wifi calling is working is that I can make a call and when I swipe down on status bar I see wifi calling on bottom in place of red Pocket
VoLTE works on AT&T/GSMA, but with no menus and no visual indication (unless enabled in the Hidden menu) many people didn't realize it was there. Of course AT&T and most MVNOs didn't provide it either. And no VoWiFi.

The HD icon is a sign that you have VoLTE working, probably VoWiFI too since they use the same codecs. I don't get the HD icon on GSMA except when I tested H931 ROM.

You can look for TMO specific menus with Shortcut Master Lite and relevant settings through the Hidden menu. But make careful note of anything you change, as some of these settings persist even after Factory Reset and re-flash.

It sounds to me like it's all working, just not very visibly. I did indeed get the impression from other US998 users on TMO that they had more menu controls and more visibility. Again, I assume they must have been on Oreo.

It may be by design that Pie doesn't show icons: Since VoLTE/VoWiFi is becoming the only ways to make phone calls, I can see the logic of not putting multiple icons on the status bar to confirm that "this phone can make calls".

You can consider rolling back to Oreo, just realize there is a risk of messing things up. Definitely go via Nougat, and use Partition DL.

I am very busy these days and the next few weeks, so may not be able to respond as much to any questions :(

Edit: If you didn't perform a Network Settings Reset, I'd say definitely try that. Also, you could try re-loading the IMS configuration in Hidden menu. Restart the phone after both.

Last edited:

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
VoLTE works on AT&T/GSMA, but with no menus and no visual indication (unless enabled in the Hidden menu) many people didn't realize it was there. Of course AT&T and most MVNOs didn't provide it either. And no VoWiFi.

The HD icon is a sign that you have VoLTE working, probably VoWiFI too since they use the same codecs. I don't get the HD icon on GSMA except when I tested H931 ROM.

You can look for TMO specific menus with Shortcut Master Lite and relevant settings through the Hidden menu. But make careful note of anything you change, as some of these settings persist even after Factory Reset and re-flash.

It sounds to me like it's all working, just not very visibly. I did indeed get the impression from other US998 users on TMO that they had more menu controls and more visibility. Again, I assume they must have been on Oreo.

It may be by design that Pie doesn't show icons: Since VoLTE/VoWiFi is becoming the only ways to make phone calls, I can see the logic of not putting multiple icons on the status bar to confirm that "this phone can make calls".

You can consider rolling back to Oreo, just realize there is a risk of messing things up. Definitely go via Nougat, and use Partition DL.

I am very busy these days and the next few weeks, so may not be able to respond as much to any questions :(

Edit: If you didn't perform a Network Settings Reset, I'd say definitely try that. Also, you could try re-loading the IMS configuration in Hidden menu. Restart the phone after both.
I think I am going to try a fresh install of US99830b, flashing US99810c first to clean things out? Maybe even try AiX again?

I have been flashing back and forth a lot lately so I am not sure if that causes crap to go away too....SystemUI tuner could have caused issues as well....I dont really know how to flash back far enough to get rid of what it could have changed

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
I think I am going to try a fresh install of US99830b, flashing US99810c first to clean things out? Maybe even try AiX again?

I have been flashing back and forth a lot lately so I am not sure if that causes crap to go away too....SystemUI tuner could have caused issues as well....I dont really know how to flash back far enough to get rid of what it could have changed
If you're going to do that, I would definitely check US99820h, which is everybody's favorite V30 ROM. Again go via Nougat US99810d first, Partition DL. But BEFORE you leave Pie, perform a Master Reset from the Settings menu. I believe it clears some persistent settings that cannot be cleared once you are back on Oreo.

As previously mentioned (or maybe that was another thread) I doubt Aix has carrier configs for US carriers. But I'd love to hear confirmation either way.

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
If you're going to do that, I would definitely flash Oreo US99820h, which is everybody's favorite V30 ROM.

As previously mentioned (or maybe that was another thread) I doubt Aix has carrier configs for US carriers. But I'd love to hear confirmation either way.
I have never heard of 20h. What would be flash steps to use it? Where is it?

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
I have never heard of 20h. What would be flash steps to use it? Where is it?
It's the latest US998 Oreo ROM. You can find it in ChazzMatt's stock ROM threads or download from lg-firmwares.com.

Steps are:

1) Perform Factory Settings Reset from Settings menu in Pie. Again this is to clear any persistent modem settings that Pie may have set, and which only Pie can clear.

2) Using Latest Dev Patched LGUP from one of ChazMatt's threads, Partition DL Nougat US99810d.

3) Restart phone and see its working, Master Reset (button dance) if needed.

4) LGUP Partition DL US99820h.

Of course this ROM is almost two years behind in Android security patches. But it is arguably the best ROM LG made for V30.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChazzMatt

islandfever

Feb 13, 2010
It's the latest US998 Oreo ROM. You can find it in ChazzMatt's stock ROM threads or download from lg-firmwares.com.

Steps are:

1) Perform Factory Settings Reset from Settings menu in Pie.

2) Using Latest Dev Patched LGUP from one of ChazMatt's threads, Partition DL Nougat US99810.

3) Restart phone and see its working, Master Reset (button dance) if needed.

4) LGUP Partition DL US99820h.

I havent done that Partition stuff in ages.....So not the 20E to F to G to H steps in there?

20H is after 30b?

Would this be the Nougat KDZ you mean? US99810d_01_0411.kdz

Last edited:

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
I havent done that Partition stuff in ages.....So not the 20E to F to G to H steps in there?

20H is after 30b?

Would this be the Nougat KDZ you mean? US99810d_01_0411.kdz
You can do the incremental upgrade steps, but they are mostly for TWRP flashable ROMs, as I understand. I've never done it myself. @ChazzMatt can speak more to it.

20h is Oreo, so definitely before Pie. But later isn't always better. LG's attention was elsewhere (on later models) when they created Pie for V30. And US998 Pie versions are really a US Cellular ROM, whereas Oreo was LG's Open Market ROM.

Edit: Yes, US99810d_01_0411.kdz is the latest Nougat KDZ, while US99820h_00_0318.kdz is the latest Oreo KDZ.

I really have to get on with work now. Good luck to you (y)

Edit2: But just remember, there is a risk associated when going back from Pie. Some people have reported issues. That's why we recommend going via Nougat.

Last edited: