[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
Birmingham
jonathonfitch.com
I dont know if i should post this here but anyway so what i hate most about xda is that they dont make forums for phones that are not china but from a company like samsung and they are low end device. For example my phone which im using to post this hasnt even got a forum for it. Whoever is the main forum admin should really make forums for new low end device

Sent from my GT-S5282 using Tapatalk 2

That is because XDA is a developer orientated forum. If there is not likely to be any development for a device then a forum will not get added for that device - not many developers go for the low end options so not many low end devices have forums and those that do are in the Legacy/Low activity sub forum.

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
That is because XDA is a developer orientated forum. If there is not likely to be any development for a device then a forum will not get added for that device - not many developers go for the low end options so not many low end devices have forums and those that do are in the Legacy/Low activity sub forum.

Incase u havent seen my signature i have rooted and recovery is wip(its done actullay but its being tested.

eagleeyetom

Retired Developer Committee Lead / Retired Senior
Jan 22, 2011
Gdańsk
xda-developers.com
OnePlus 5
I posted there so many times and i also pm the op but op said that the main forum admin makes the forum. I think mikechannon is the forum admin? If im not wrong?

The thread mentioned by Jonny is the proper way of requesting device forums. If you want to increase your chances provide a list of ROMs/kernels/tools already made and I'm sure that it will be taken under consideration.

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
The thread mentioned by Jonny is the proper way of requesting device forums. If you want to increase your chances provide a list of ROMs/kernels/tools already made and I'm sure that it will be taken under consideration.

That isnt a bad idea but no kernel but deodexed stock rom, some tools and a recovery are availiable for my phone

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
Hi, have 2 suggestions.

1. How about reorganizing development sections eg. create "kernel development" and "rom development" (maybe even third misc section) instead of "original android development" and "android development".

Kernel development became quite popular lately. (take a look here and here - there are almost more kernels than roms)

Original vs Android development doesn't make much sense anyway, since most of roms have various sources spliced. (if knowing particular sources is THAT important, devs could mention it respective OPs or even thread titles)

2. Remind developers of thread name rules, and make a form eg.

[ROM][4.3][release date in a specified form] name of the release [release version][source-original or port]

Where exact info must be provided in a certain order.
Instead of having tons of *[email protected]#*&[email protected]#$_) signs, different forms with mixed order and all kinds of different separators.

So you'd have

[ROM][4.2.2][08/30] XXX [r2][port]
[ROM][4.3.0][09/01] YYY [a1][original]
[ROM][4.1.2][07/05] ZZZ [2.1.3][port]
[KEREL][JSS15Q][08/25] kernel-name [version][OC][UV][etc][original]

instead of

|rom| .oO ROMNAME Oo. [superextraspecial feature]
{Aug 2.} rom XXX BY HOLYMOFODEVELOPER xx
kernel by john doe [3.4.1]

and so on...you get the point.
And if you make sections like i mentioned above, we wouldn't even need [ROM] and [KERNEL] indexes.

Those two would really make sections have that nice index-page look and feel, where everything is obvious and straightforward.
THAT would really help us A LOT.

I'm not asking of you to rearrange the whole site, but just have that in mind when creating new device forums...and maaaybe rearrange just a few latest devices where kernel and rom flood is at it's peak. (nexus 4, nexus 7, sgs4, etc)

THANKS!

F

Reactions: E:V:A

cities516

Dec 19, 2012
Taipei
Hi, have 2 suggestions.

1. How about reorganizing development sections eg. create "kernel development" and "rom development" (maybe even third misc section) instead of "original android development" and "android development".

Kernel development became quite popular lately. (take a look here and here - there are almost more kernels than roms)

Original vs Android development doesn't make much sense anyway, since most of roms have various sources spliced. (if knowing particular sources is THAT important, devs could mention it respective OPs or even thread titles)

2. Remind developers of thread name rules, and make a form eg.

[ROM][4.3][release date in a specified form] name of the release [release version][source-original or port]

Where exact info must be provided in a certain order.
Instead of having tons of *[email protected]#*&[email protected]#$_) signs, different forms with mixed order and all kinds of different separators.

So you'd have

[ROM][4.2.2][08/30] XXX [r2][port]
[ROM][4.3.0][09/01] YYY [a1][original]
[ROM][4.1.2][07/05] ZZZ [2.1.3][port]
[KEREL][JSS15Q][08/25] kernel-name [version][OC][UV][etc][original]

instead of

|rom| .oO ROMNAME Oo. [superextraspecial feature]
{Aug 2.} rom XXX BY HOLYMOFODEVELOPER xx
kernel by john doe [3.4.1]

and so on...you get the point.
And if you make sections like i mentioned above, we wouldn't even need [ROM] and [KERNEL] indexes.

Those two would really make sections have that nice index-page look and feel, where everything is obvious and straightforward.
THAT would really help us A LOT.

I'm not asking of you to rearrange the whole site, but just have that in mind when creating new device forums...and maaaybe rearrange just a few latest devices where kernel and rom flood is at it's peak. (nexus 4, nexus 7, sgs4, etc)

THANKS!

F

I think that version name doesn't need a bracket.
e.g. [ROM] Huessel Toolbox v3.2 [Linaro]
[KERNEL] Scrumpadoochous v2 | OC 2.7GHz | UV | Color Control [Original]

Imo, the "Theme & Apps" section is a lot disastrous than Development section.
You can see lots of different prefixes like [APP] [MOD] [PORT] [ Mod / Update 2/31] [ WiP ] ......

At least there are only [ROM] [KERNEL] [RECOVERY] or other huge mod development in Development section.

Last edited:

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
I think when requested a admin to make forum they should make it right away. I mean in my case i requested in new device forum thread plus pm'ed mikechannon(a forum admin) and now its been days but no forum. And im guessing the admins are drinking beers? XD

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
I think when requested a admin to make forum they should make it right away. I mean in my case i requested in new device forum thread plus pm'ed mikechannon(a forum admin) and now its been days but no forum. And im guessing the admins are drinking beers? XD

How many dev threads does your phone have?

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
Thread links:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2394839 for root method#1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2380619 for root method #2 and deodexed stock rom
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2399157 for development thread for cwm recovery

I would love if my phone gets a forum

I don't think that is sufficient but things might be different now.
Couple of years back when i contacted Mike for the same reason with about 8 dev links, the reply was something along the lines of him not being the one in charge of assigning forums and that he has forwarded the request.
When nothing happened even after a month i contacted svetius and it was done in a week. Remember, by that time we had some activity going on than just a couple of threads.

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
I don't think that is sufficient but things might be different now.
Couple of years back when i contacted Mike for the same reason with about 8 dev links, the reply was something along the lines of him not being the one in charge of assigning forums and that he has forwarded the request.
When nothing happened even after a month i contacted svetius and it was done in a week. Remember, by that time we had some activity going on than just a couple of threads.

Man we are making cwm but theres a werid problem with recovery and this device has spreadtrum cpu and they are known to be very hard to hack . And if u think ur so genius help us by clicking the thread link in my post! But i just posted my suggestion and opinion here about forum admins. Anyways might contact this forum admin u say. Thanks for help!

Edit: Could u give me a link to his profile?

Last edited:

mdmower

Sep 14, 2011
Notification improvements:

1) Include a link in the notifications drop-down: "Mark all as read"
2) When there are no new notifications, I have no idea how to go back and see old ones since the drop-down menu disappears. So, include "Notifications" under the Quick Links menu, maybe under Subscribed.

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
Birmingham
jonathonfitch.com
Man we are making cwm but theres a werid problem with recovery and this device has spreadtrum cpu and they are known to be very hard to hack . And if u think ur so genius help us by clicking the thread link in my post! But i just posted my suggestion and opinion here about forum admins. Anyways might contact this forum admin u say. Thanks for help!

Edit: Could u give me a link to his profile?

Honestly I'm not sure that's enough to gain a dedicated forum, forgetting the stock deodexed ROM (which being honest is not development, its someone running the deodex option on dsixda's kitchen) you have a recovery and root. That's it.

I've seen devices with much more than that just having to cope with being in misc development because they didn't get their own forum. Maybe svetius might think otherwise though, the above is just my opinion.

Stryke_the_Orc

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 14, 2010
Maras Dantia
Notification improvements:

1) Include a link in the notifications drop-down: "Mark all as read"
2) When there are no new notifications, I have no idea how to go back and see old ones since the drop-down menu disappears. So, include "Notifications" under the Quick Links menu, maybe under Subscribed.

Go to your profile, the notifications are there:beer:

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

Reactions: mdmower

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
Honestly I'm not sure that's enough to gain a dedicated forum, forgetting the stock deodexed ROM (which being honest is not development, its someone running the deodex option on dsixda's kitchen) you have a recovery and root. That's it.

I've seen devices with much more than that just having to cope with being in misc development because they didn't get their own forum. Maybe svetius might think otherwise though, the above is just my opinion.

I did contact svetius but he asked me to give more thread links and I did give but theres no reply after. Maybe I need to wait...

W

Wolf Pup

I did contact svetius but he asked me to give more thread links and I did give but theres no reply after. Maybe I need to wait...

Yes you do. I don't think you have enough for a section, so therefore more needs to be made. Maybe if there was an AOSP ROM, CM port, enhanced stock ROMs, another recovery, some hacks and tweaks, and so on, you could get through.

Also, you gotta be nice. Seeing how you bashed roofrider makes me think svetius wasn't too impressed either. Oh, and, presentation. *You* instead of *u*, *your/you're* instead of *ur*. Just type proper English. Nobody should be telling you this. It just gets on my nerves.

Sent from my iDroid

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
Yes you do. I don't think you have enough for a section, so therefore more needs to be made. Maybe if there was an AOSP ROM, CM port, enhanced stock ROMs, another recovery, some hacks and tweaks, and so on, you could get through.

Also, you gotta be nice. Seeing how you bashed roofrider makes me think svetius wasn't too impressed either. Oh, and, presentation. *You* instead of *u*, *your/you're* instead of *ur*. Just type proper English. Nobody should be telling you this. It just gets on my nerves.

Sent from my iDroid

Look I respect all mods and forum admins. Its just that I hate it that a device thats not even released gets a forum e.g Galaxy S4 and why you make the forum for such cases? Its because its famous and **** like that. I mean C'mon I got a Samsung phone and not atleast a Chinese tablet or phone like zte blade(I felt it shouldnt have got a forum here in xda) and we all users of Galaxy Star are requesting again and again to make forum. As of development lewa os is being ported and while cm10.1 is being compiled. I think its more than enough to get its forum plus It even got its first working recovery. Wolf Pup I respect you buddy but incase you were born in 1960s the *u* i use instead of *you* is to save time. I have got many things to do. Sorry if i was being rude but this is my opinion about xda handling forums.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users. But remember, XDA is not a support site, it is aimed for developers and development.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

Remember though, it is not a thread for asking questions, reporting bugs, discussing the XDA app etc. It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

EDIT - Can we please stop talking about the 10 post rule here. If you feel the need to discuss it, post here instead
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone