• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Alldocube iPlay 40 review: an all-around tablet with some minor compromises

Search This thread

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020
Thanks AllexBast I managed to unlock the bootloader, to flash TWRP and Magisk. The tablet is now fully rooted.
The part I don't "fully" understand is the ModSuper for gsi and the rest bellow.
This is for flashing another OS? I do this in TWRP right?
A correct image for example is lineage-17.1-20210808-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img.xz or even lineage-18.1-20210808-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS-vndklite.img.xz?
I have used an app that tell me that the tablet can use a AB and even a VNDK image, so I think they are the correct ones.
Hi, I'm also trying to unlock the bootloader of my t1020s but without much luck. I used AllexBast chinese guide and its .apk to get the signature.bin but the command "fastboot flashing unlock-bootloader signature.bin" always fails printing "fastboot: usage: unknown 'flashing' command unlock_bootloader". Did something similar happen for you? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

White_Spot™

Jan 31, 2011
Hi, I'm also trying to unlock the bootloader of my t1020s but without much luck. I used AllexBast chinese guide and its .apk to get the signature.bin but the command "fastboot flashing unlock-bootloader signature.bin" always fails printing "fastboot: usage: unknown 'flashing' command unlock_bootloader". Did something similar happen for you? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the fastboot file was to be a specific one. I can't remember where I get the correct one (my work folder is a mess with many files) but eventually is one from the links he give.
Go and try different fastboot files until one works.

Reactions: davovapo

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
try these drivers
Fastboot

Last edited:

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020
For t1020s
TWRP https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lsmYtOESkvI4vz3tLgg9P5CsxaZ3g2fr/view?usp=sharing - flash to rd https://4pda.to/pages/go/?u=https://mega.nz/file/5RFymB6Q#KjfDboHeduvuXvBi1SDLboO-48o0bmMhBC5FyTIwAVM&e=108966608
firmware global https://www.alldocube.com/en/firmware/alldocube-iplay40t1020s-firmware-download/
ModSuper for gsi https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRZbiTEEnyds6kxrvXNI2-5gRwjCbE4l/view?usp=sharing install for section super
format data - yes
restart adb recovery
gsi android 10 arm64 a-b - https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-17.x/ install for section system
format data - yes
restart adb recovery
backup boot
install zip https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v23.0
restore boot
restart system
configure gsi rom
restart adb recovery
install gapps android 10 arm64 pico https://opengapps.org/
restart system
Thanks to both, I unlocked successfully the bootloader using the fastboot file from AllexBast linked juseblog guide, I added the file here in case somebody needs it too and just to note it the unlocking process took around 12 minutes. Now I'm trying to follow AllexBast steps, I followed the "flash to rd" guide and worked great but when flashing the recovery with "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" it seems to be stuck at "Writing 'recovery'..." I may leave it for some more hours or overnight to see if it actually works.

Attachments

• adb-fastboot.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 25

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks to both, I unlocked successfully the bootloader using the fastboot file from AllexBast linked juseblog guide, I added the file here in case somebody needs it too and just to note it the unlocking process took around 12 minutes. Now I'm trying to follow AllexBast steps, I followed the "flash to rd" guide and worked great but when flashing the recovery with "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" it seems to be stuck at "Writing 'recovery'..." I may leave it for some more hours or overnight to see if it actually works.
You need to flash all 3 files:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020
You need to flash all 3 files:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
Flashing boot, vbmeta and finally recovery worked, now I can access TWRP. I can't seem to find my files on TWRP though to flash zips, etc, I imagine it's the encryption. I tried to install the ModSuper file super.new.img through "flash super super.img" in fastmode, it seemed to work ok but it entered a bootloop in which I had to reset the device firmware to be able to boot normally again. If I figure out something I'll update, thanks again.

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
Flashing boot, vbmeta and finally recovery worked, now I can access TWRP. I can't seem to find my files on TWRP though to flash zips, etc, I imagine it's the encryption. I tried to install the ModSuper file super.new.img through "flash super super.img" in fastmode, it seemed to work ok but it entered a bootloop in which I had to reset the device firmware to be able to boot normally again. If I figure out something I'll update, thanks a
Unfortunately in this twrp there is no reboot point in recovery. But twrp supports ADB commands, so after format data is yes, you need to reboot in recovery using the adb reboot recovery command. Modsupergsi, gsi and gapps are flashed via twrp. Need micro sd card.
TWRP supports mtp, perhaps you can copy the file to the tablet memory after flashing fastboot flash super modsupergsi.img, format data-yes, adb reboot recovery and do without microsd

Last edited:

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020
Unfortunately in this twrp there is no reboot point in recovery. But twrp supports ADB commands, so after format data is yes, you need to reboot in recovery using the adb reboot recovery command. Modsupergsi, gsi and gapps are flashed via twrp. Need micro sd card.
TWRP supports mtp, perhaps you can copy the file to the tablet memory after flashing fastboot flash super modsupergsi.img, format data-yes, adb reboot recovery and do without microsd
I installed the new super.img from your post, formatted, rebooted back to recovery but then when I try to install lineage-17.1-20210808-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img it fails due to img being too large as you can see in the attachment (not the correct img maybe?) which made me reset the device again. I could install Magisk like White_Spot, that worked well as long as you back up and restore the boot as you pointed out.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210922_233433[1].jpg
    MVIMG_20210922_233433[1].jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
I installed the new super.img from your post, formatted, rebooted back to recovery but then when I try to install lineage-17.1-20210808-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img it fails due to img being too large as you can see in the attachment (not the correct img maybe?) which made me reset the device again. I could install Magisk like White_Spot, that worked well as long as you back up and restore the boot as you pointed out.
Is that how you formatted it?
3.png

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210923_123950[1].jpg
    MVIMG_20210923_123950[1].jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020
To avoid confusion, flash the stock firmware via rd and repeat all operations on a new one

Just to make sure I'll write it all down, thanks again for your patience.

So I'm using the official firmware iPlay40(T1020S)-EN-20210526 pac file with ResearchDownload. It works great, then I boot it, activate usb debug in settings, go to fastboot and flash boot, vbmeta and recovery. Then I reboot so I can go to recovery with adb and in recovery it's when I try to install the super.treble2product.img in section super. At this point the error of the last pic with "Size larger..." appears. As I understand, I am installing super.treble2product.img on stock firmware here.

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
Just to make sure I'll write it all down, thanks again for your patience.

So I'm using the official firmware iPlay40(T1020S)-EN-20210526 pac file with ResearchDownload. It works great, then I boot it, activate usb debug in settings, go to fastboot and flash boot, vbmeta and recovery. Then I reboot so I can go to recovery with adb and in recovery it's when I try to install the super.treble2product.img in section super. At this point the error of the last pic with "Size larger..." appears. As I understand, I am installing super.treble2product.img on stock firmware here.
Make format data in twrp on stock firmware.

If you fail to flash, then open super.treble2product.img in the hxd editor and at the very end delete the zero values of a few kilobytes.

Last edited:

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020
Make format data in twrp on stock firmware.
Alright, I went through it again, I'm updating the steps I wrote before, I'll keep trying till I get it or brick it:

So I'm using the official firmware iPlay40(T1020S)-EN-20210526 pac file with ResearchDownload. It works great, then I boot it, activate usb debug in settings, go to fastboot and flash boot, vbmeta and recovery. Then I reboot so I can go to recovery with adb, I format data - yes and adb reboot recovery. Again in recovery it's when I try to install the super.treble2product.img in section super.

At this point the error "Size of image is larger than target device" still appears.

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
Alright, I went through it again, I'm updating the steps I wrote before, I'll keep trying till I get it or brick it:

So I'm using the official firmware iPlay40(T1020S)-EN-20210526 pac file with ResearchDownload. It works great, then I boot it, activate usb debug in settings, go to fastboot and flash boot, vbmeta and recovery. Then I reboot so I can go to recovery with adb, I format data - yes and adb reboot recovery. Again in recovery it's when I try to install the super.treble2product.img in section super.

At this point the error "Size of image is larger than target device" still appears.
If you fail to flash, then open super.treble2product.img in the hxd editor and at the very end delete the zero values of a few kilobytes. The file must be glued without this block of zeros in order to reduce the size of the image.

The fact is that I hurried to upload the files and did not fix the errors. But since no one wanted to test this version of the firmware, I did not double-check anything. Now I have neither a tablet nor a laptop. Therefore, I cannot check and re-upload the files.

Last edited:

davovapo

Dec 5, 2020
If you fail to flash, then open super.treble2product.img in the hxd editor and at the very end delete the zero values of a few kilobytes. The file must be glued without this block of zeros in order to reduce the size of the image.
That did it! Thank you so much AllexBast, lineageOS17.1 is installed with gapps pico following the rest of your steps. I bought this tablet without knowing much about its custom rom support and I'm glad we are able to change the OS at least, I learned quite a bit. Now the next goal would be A11 or even 12, I'd like to know more into making custom roms and see what I find and how overwhelming it is, probably a lot.

Reactions: AllexBast

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
I can’t deal with firmware yet. Just do not try to flash firmware 11 android from the t1020h and t1020hp models, I did it and barely recovered. I read on xda that to install 11 and 12 android you need to change something in vendor.img which is located in super.img. Know that initially we have 10 android and it is from him that we must proceed about compatibility with 11 and 12 android.

AllexBast

Feb 15, 2013
That did it! Thank you so much AllexBast, lineageOS17.1 is installed with gapps pico following the rest of your steps. I bought this tablet without knowing much about its custom rom support and I'm glad we are able to change the OS at least, I learned quite a bit. Now the next goal would be A11 or even 12, I'd like to know more into making custom roms and see what I find and how overwhelming it is, probably a lot.
For now, check out the latest builds for Android 10 here https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/treble-enabled-device-development-a-ab-roms.7260/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2) Mine as always connected to 5Ghz wifi so I can´t help you.
    3) I think is the complete system and not only an upgrade.
    3. iPlay40(T1020S)-EN-20210526 is the same as the version you're already running. I flashed it and in about phone the build number is T1020S_V1.0_20210525.
    For t1020s
    TWRP https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lsmYtOESkvI4vz3tLgg9P5CsxaZ3g2fr/view?usp=sharing - flash to rd https://4pda.to/pages/go/?u=https://mega.nz/file/5RFymB6Q#KjfDboHeduvuXvBi1SDLboO-48o0bmMhBC5FyTIwAVM&e=108966608
    firmware global https://www.alldocube.com/en/firmware/alldocube-iplay40t1020s-firmware-download/
    ModSuper for gsi https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YRZbiTEEnyds6kxrvXNI2-5gRwjCbE4l/view?usp=sharing install for section super
    format data - yes
    restart adb recovery
    gsi android 10 arm64 a-b - https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-17.x/ install for section system
    format data - yes
    restart adb recovery
    backup boot
    restore boot
    restart system
    configure gsi rom
    restart adb recovery
    restart system
    Solid performance

STATS.jpg

The Alldocube iPlay 40 is powered by Unisoc’s T618 processor, which has an octa-core CPU (2 Cores of Cortex-A75 clocked at 2.0GHz and 6 cores of Cortex-A55 clocked at 2.0GHz) and ARM’s Mali-G52MP GPU.

comparison.png

This chipset was released in 2020 and built on 12nm process, so it is relatively new, and it offers better performance than MediaTek’s P60 or Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 66X, which are the most commonly used SoC. In budget and midrange tablets. There’s also 8GB LPDDR4 RAM inside the slate to handle multitasking.

bench1.jpg

gb5-1.jpg

gb5-2.png

ANTUTU.png

The iPlay 40 has easily beaten other budget tablets in Antutu and Geekbench 5. Even the Teclast M40, which is powered by the same Unisoc T618 chipset, scored significantly lower than the iPlay 40 in both tests.

3DMARK.png

In the GPU-focused 3DMark Slingshot Extreme test, the iPlay 40 was also returned with decent scores.

storage1.jpg

ANDROBENCH.png

The storage inside of the iPlay 40 is relatively slow. The Sequential Read speed is only 106.27mb/s in Androbench’s readings, falling behind most other entry-level tablets including Alldocube’s very own iPlay 30, which was released three months ago. But in comparison, Teclast uses even lower-quality storage in both of their M40 and P20HD.

YouTube.jpg

In the real-world use, the Unisoc T618 processor actually offers more than enough horsepower to drive the tablet for the tasks it is intended for. The iPlay 40 is smooth and responsive most of the time, I had no issues watching 4K YouTube videos in Chrome, with many other image-heavy webpages loading at the same time. The slate is also capable of keeping many big applications running in the background, thanks to its whooping 8GB RAM.

video.jpg

However, the iPlay 40 isn’t the best video decoder, as it scored only 827 in Antutu video tester, but for those normal video formats, you always have the choice to use software decoding. I’ve tried many clips and the slate can play all of them smoothly.

DSC08581.jpg

Gaming should not be your main reason to buy a tablet. With that said, the iPlay 40 can run most games installed from Play Store without issues. I tried Asphalt 9, PUBG and Arena of Valor, all of them can run smoothly at moderate settings.

Superb connectivity

DSC08538.jpg

The iPlay 40 supports dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, 4G and full phone functionalities. It won’t have fancy features like 5G and WiFi-6, but we don’t expect it to.

The 128GB internal storage should be sufficient for most users. For those who need more, the tablet supports a TF card of up to 2TB!

Basic cameras

DSC08616.jpg

There are two cameras on the iPlay 40, a front-facing 5MP camera and an 8MP main camera. Those cameras can be useful for unlocking, video-chatting, and scanning QR code, but you won’t want to “archive your life” with them. Even in perfectly-lit conditions, most photos I took with the main camera were either over-exposed or under-exposed, and there wasn’t much life to them. In low light, the photos were simply horrible. In an era when most entry-level smartphones come with dual or triple camera setups, there is really no place for tablet photography.

Subpar battery life and charging speed

BATTERY-COMPARISON.png

The Alldocube iPlay 40 houses a 6000mAh Li-Po battery, smaller than the capacity of most of its peers. Even with a more power-efficient processor, the iPlay 40 still only gives me around 7 hours’ screen time on a full charge.

BATTERY-LIFE.png

With display brightness and speaker volume both set at 50%, the iplay 40 lasted 7 hours and 55 minutes in our battery rundown test, where we played a 1080P video on loop.

This iPlay 40 doesn’t support any form of quick charge. The supplied wall charger is rated 10W (5V-2A), a full charge (0%→100%) takes about 4 hours. In comparison, the Lenovo Tab P11 comes with a 20W QC3.0 charger, while the Smasung Galaxy Tab A7 supports 15W charging.

Verdict: an all-around tablet with some minor compromises

The Alldocube iPlay 40 isn’t designed to break any new grounds, but it is an Android tablet which gets a lot of essential things right. It has a sharp and colorful display, which makes it ideral for video streaming, web-browsing and even light gaming. The T618 processor offers more than enough power for everyday tasks. 4G and phone functionalities means the tablet can be a serviceable phone whenever needed.

The absence of a fingerprint reader, slow storage and low battery capacity could all be potential deal breakers for many, but for a tablet priced as low as the iPlay 40, it’s really unfair to ask for perfection. With UFS 2.1 storage, higher quality speakers and much, much better cameras, the Lenovo Tab P11 is still a superior piece of tech in many aspects. But if horsepower is on top of your priorities when choosing a tablet, you won’t get anything better than the iPlay 40 in the same price range.
    I still have no luck with the information from this link.

They mention an APK, the "SpreadTrumTools-20200317.apk", but I can get this APK from nowhere. I tried several links to some Japanese (?) online storage, but I only manage to download some exe files, and obviously I don’t download them. Without it I cannot generate the signature.bin and do the rest of the steps.

I tried this method from the Hovatek forum and I still don't be able to unlock the bootloader.

When I try the command "fastboot flashing unlock_bootloader signature.bin" it always fails.

I have tried several ways to get the signature.bin, even using a live Ubuntu distro (and the hassle to learn how to do all of this in Linux).

After a large of hours getting nowhere, I think I will give up to unlock the bootloader to root this tablet.

If somebody can give any help I'll appreciate, maybe a link to download the SpreadTrumTools-20200317.apk, or other solution to unlock the bootloader.

And If possible, somebody installs the CPU Monitor app and verify if the cpu is almost all the time at 80% plus as mine.
    For t1020s
    format data - yes
    restart adb recovery
    format data - yes
    restart adb recovery
    backup boot
    restore boot
    restart system
    configure gsi rom
    restart adb recovery
    restart system
    I only notice the one corner near the volume buttons gets hotter when i play games, only that corner, all the other parts not gets hot never, due to that i thought that was the cpu, if not i dont know what is in that corner.

Using my previous photo...

DSC-1940.jpg

... and this one...

alldocube_iplay_40_8gb_128gb_4g_08_ad_l.jpg

... the cpu is beneath the metallic shield as I said. The hot area you say (bottom left on the second image) are maybe from the little metallic shield but I don't know what is under it.

Today my daughter was with me (I´m divorced) and he tell me that using the tablet with the protective case / cover it will shut down also. I run the freefire game and in few instant’s the tablet shutdown. It rapidly remove it from the case / cover and the only "hot" part was the big metallic shield (with no sticker). Attention, by hot It only means that I can feel something hotter than the rest, is not even hot to hurt at touch or something like this.

The app I use to see the CPU usage is CPU Monitor.

DSC-1955.jpg

And this is a "log" of the CPU usage during the night:

DSC-1953.jpg

DSC-1954.jpg

It’s possible that the app don’t give correct measurement, so I installed it in my Redmi 5 and the CPU usage at idle was normal. Almost all the time at +/- 30% with spikes at +/- 100%. The tablet is the opposite, almost all the time at (or higher) +/- 90% with spikes at +/- 30%:

IMG-20210905-WA0001.jpg

After googling a lot, I’m almost certain that the behaviour of the tablet is not normal. The strange thing is even with almost full use of the CPU no lagging is noticeable.
    I read somewhere that a similar problem was due to a TTS app problem. Later at home I will test it.

If possible Cartmannnn install the CPU Monitor app and see how the CPU usage is.

The other "stupid" test I will do is make a factory reset and put the tablet in English language and not in Portuguese during installation. After that, install from apk the CPU Monitor APP to be sure no other app was causing this behaviour and if no change is noticed I will have to install a CPU watchdog to see what app is causing this.

For me, the constant full load of the CPU is the principal factor of this problem.