Allwinner Linux Headunit

Search This thread

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
I was looking at AliExpress for 7 inch head-units, because it seems 9 inch is now the norm. Almost all headunits don't have any real buttons, or volume knob. So I actually kinda got interested in these Linux based headunits.

Anyone have some experience with these? They run on an Linux os created by Allwinner, the Chinese company which makes chipsets for these kind of devices. The interesting thing is, for € 60 you have Apple Carplay and Android Auto in your car.

If you would buy for the same amount of money a Android based headunit, than usually you don't get Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I just can't find anything about these Linux based units, for some reason everything seems to be running on Android. Even the low powered headunits, which I'm 100% sure would benefit more from a Linux based OS.

Here is the product, it's being sold by Gearelec Car Player Store.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Slow down, read not demand time.

Not Android auto, requested moderator move to Android head units forum

Reactions: ipdev

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
Well it isn't a Android Head-unit either.... I guess XDA needs to create a separate forum, for headunits based on Linux. And yes I know Android is also based on Linux.

And you can be a little bit more friendly....

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Well it isn't a Android Head-unit either.... I guess XDA needs to create a separate forum, for headunits based on Linux. And yes I know Android is also based on Linux.

And you can be a little bit more friendly....
This is not even something comparable with any sort of units supported in this forum. So at least this forum is even wrong.
This is just a player with Carplay and Android Auto, nothing else.... and I also even don´t know why someone needs Carplay or Android Auto in a head unit if it is not an OEM unit... sorry, but this has nothing to do in here.

Why should XDA create a new subforum for this kind of units? Don´t see a reason at all.

DexterMorganNL

Dec 1, 2010
This is not even something comparable with any sort of units supported in this forum. So at least this forum is even wrong.
This is just a player with Carplay and Android Auto, nothing else.... and I also even don´t know why someone needs Carplay or Android Auto in a head unit if it is not an OEM unit... sorry, but this has nothing to do in here.

Why should XDA create a new subforum for this kind of units? Don´t see a reason at all.
Why it should be in the Android Auto Head-units? It's main feature is the ability to use Android Auto, hence I posted it there. The interesting thing is, that it runs Linux instead of WineCE.

I explained you before, why people use or need Apple Carplay or Android Auto: it's very convenient to use, it doesn't need any technical knowledge. Well people wanna upgrade their older cars, without having to buy an new car.

Why else would you be fitting an Android head-unit in your car? It's the same purpose, as why people look for a car radio with Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

Yes the specification's of this device aren't to write home about, but if you buy a JVC Apple Carplay/Android Auto 2din headunit: then you also get low specs with a low resolution screen.

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Why it should be in the Android Auto Head-units? It's main feature is the ability to use Android Auto, hence I posted it there. The interesting thing is, that it runs Linux instead of WineCE.

I explained you before, why people use or need Apple Carplay or Android Auto: it's very convenient to use, it doesn't need any technical knowledge. Well people wanna upgrade their older cars, without having to buy an new car.

Why else would you be fitting an Android head-unit in your car? It's the same purpose, as why people look for a car radio with Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

Yes the specification's of this device aren't to write home about, but if you buy a JVC Apple Carplay/Android Auto 2din headunit: then you also get low specs with a low resolution screen.
It´s more or less just a radio with integrated Android Auto/Carplay... nothing else.

Reactions: marchnz

rigattoni

Apr 27, 2010
Fuerth
Running on Linux.... I wouldn't buy it either, mainly because of the low quality screen. But imagine the possibilities once it gets hacked 😂
Linux is the standard for most of the OEM units. Win CE are more or less gone in the wild.
Don´t even think that this is a regular Linux distribution... You won´t have the full implementation, just that what is really needed for this particular unit.

I would not even recommend this kind of unit. It´s crap, nothing else.

BTW:
At least nearly all OEM use QNX or Linux in a closed, specialized version in their cars. ;)

User should be warned to run away if someone comes up with such a recommendation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Slow down, read not demand time.

Not Android auto, requested moderator move to Android head units forum

It´s more or less just a radio with integrated Android Auto/Carplay... nothing else.
    It will be a heap of shyte.

Avoid like closing a finger in a door, unless masochism is your thing.