• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ALPHA][APP][ROOT][L+][v0.2 - 12/10/17] zdata: an app that makes apps use less space

Search This thread

refi64

Nov 25, 2013
refi64.com
Introduction

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DATA LOSS!! Do NOT use this on apps with sensitive data!! If it makes your phone light on fire, you can't complain.

This app only works on Android 5.0+ devices with ARM (and likely ARM64) processors!

zdata compresses the data used by apps to make it take less space. It's built on FUSE + fusecompress and requires a rooted device.

Features

• Reduces the space used by your apps.
  • Also, it reduces the space used by your apps.
  • Oh, did I mention it reduces the space used by your apps?
  • Sorry, I'm just trying to follow the XDA template.

Usage

• Select the app you want to compress.
  • Hit Go ahead!.
  • Hope it works!

Gotchas

• When you boot up your phone, make sure you wait for zdata to mount the app data before trying to use the app.
  • Make sure you disable zdata before uninstalling an app.
  • zdata doesn't always have a major effect, if it has an effect at all. For instance, with KHUx, it barely compressed anything, but for SAO: MD, the app usage went down from 174 MB to 138 MB.

Changelog

Code:
v0.2.0 - 12/10/17: Add an app statistics screen, support Android 5.0 and 6.0.
v0.1.3 - 08/18/17: Fix X86 APKs and don't assume Busybox's chmod and stat are available.
v0.1.2 - 08/16/17: Fix running under LineageOS, better logging if android_app_info fails, and experimental X86 support.
v0.1.1 - 08/14/17: Fix an incredibly bad bug where app data would get cleared on reboot!
v0.1 - 08/12/17: Initial version. What did you expect?

Downloads and links

XDA:DevDB Information
zdata, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
refi64

Version Information

Created 2017-08-13
Last Updated 2017-12-10

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170812-182300.png
    Screenshot_20170812-182300.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 3,560
Last edited:

Yash93

Dec 23, 2014
Tried it on Samsung Galaxy J700F but the app loads & crashes away without any error.. Hope it becomes compatible with this device looks great ..

Ani0o7

Mar 9, 2014
Indore
Moto G
Moto G 2014
Congrats dev this app just featured on the portal.... First of all Thanks for the app.... Secondly I just want to ask you that can I restore data using titanium backup, I am a big fan of titanium backup I juggle the rom once in a while and it came handy, can I still use titanium...

refi64

Nov 25, 2013
refi64.com
Great idea and app

An mad question,Do this impact battery life?

It shouldn't have a major impact. At minimum, on my Nexus 5 with a fake battery (that was an accident) and bad battery life, it hasn't had an even remotely noticeable impact. It *may* decrease battery life while using a compressed app, but it should be a small difference.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DATA LOSS!! Do NOT use this on apps with sensitive data!! If it makes your phone light on fire, you can't complain.

This app only works on Android 5.0+ devices with ARM (and likely ARM64) processors!

zdata compresses the data used by apps to make it take less space. It's built on FUSE + fusecompress and requires a rooted device.

Features

• Reduces the space used by your apps.
    • Also, it reduces the space used by your apps.
    • Oh, did I mention it reduces the space used by your apps?
    • Sorry, I'm just trying to follow the XDA template.

Usage

• Select the app you want to compress.
    • Hit Go ahead!.
    • Hope it works!

Gotchas

• When you boot up your phone, make sure you wait for zdata to mount the app data before trying to use the app.
    • Make sure you disable zdata before uninstalling an app.
    • zdata doesn't always have a major effect, if it has an effect at all. For instance, with KHUx, it barely compressed anything, but for SAO: MD, the app usage went down from 174 MB to 138 MB.

Changelog

Code:
    v0.2.0 - 12/10/17: Add an app statistics screen, support Android 5.0 and 6.0.
    v0.1.3 - 08/18/17: Fix X86 APKs and don't assume Busybox's chmod and stat are available.
    v0.1.2 - 08/16/17: Fix running under LineageOS, better logging if android_app_info fails, and experimental X86 support.
    v0.1.1 - 08/14/17: Fix an incredibly bad bug where app data would get cleared on reboot!
    v0.1 - 08/12/17: Initial version. What did you expect?

Downloads and links

XDA:DevDB Information
    zdata, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    refi64

Version Information

Created 2017-08-13
    Last Updated 2017-12-10
    I'm proud to announce version 0.2!!! This release contains Android 5.0 and 6.0 support, largely thanks to GitHub user RandomTypek, who kept testing the APKs I created over and over again.

This version also contains a screen showing compression statistics for your apps! This is also the very first release to go on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.refi64.zdata.app
    First off: I have just released a very important bugfix that prevents potential data loss on reboot! Make sure to download it ASAP, and then make sure you re-open the zdata app so that the internal scripts get updated!!
    Just released 0.1.3! This is a minor upgrade that mostly just has fixes for devices without stat or Busybox installed.