[ALPHA][MOD][SEP 13] MultiROM v28

patrik.KT

Aug 26, 2012
Kunova Teplica
Introduction

MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for LG G2. It can boot any Android ROM. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

You can also watch a video which shows it in action.

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.

Before you begin
This is in alpha stage. If you have the D805/6 model, use the recovery for D802. This should work on both LGD and JDI panels, but you may get some glitches. I'm working on a panel detection script which will be included in the next versions of recoveries.
Also, some ROM combinations don't work properly. You will get stuck on lg logo or MultiROM error message. It's because of the locked bootloader! It won't load the secondary ROM's kernel. We have to wait until there is a way to unlock it.

Installation

Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:
  • MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-v28-UNOFFICIAL-G2.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
  • Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_codename_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
  • Patched kernel - You can use either one of the stock ones in second post or third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs
Android
Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.

Using USB drive
During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
  • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
  • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Source code

Credits
@Tasssadar for the original work on MultiROM
@dr87 for letting me use his device tree and his kernel and helping out with some things
@savoca for his loki scripts
@arcardinal
@reas0n for testing
and everyone else I forgot :)

Donations
All this stuff would not be possible without the original work of Tasssadar. If you like his work, consider sparing him a few bucks on paypal or Bitcoins, his address is 172RccLB2ffSnJyYwjYbUD3Nx4QX3R8Ris
And as of me, I don't want any donations. I do all of this for free. Just press that thanks button :)
This thread was used as a template

Last edited:

patrik.KT

Aug 26, 2012
Kunova Teplica
Downloads

1. Main downloads

MultiROM: multirom-20140921-v28b-UNNOFICIAL-G2.zip
Modified recovery (based on TWRP): TWRP_multirom__YYYYMMDD.zip
MultiROM Uninstaller: multirom_uninstaller.zip

Mirror: http://d-h.st/users/patrik.KT/MROM-G2
2. Kernels with kexec-hardboot patch
Render Kernel (for AOSP ROMs) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g2/development/kernel-render-kernel-aosp-lg-roms-t2803929
Dorimanx (for stock-based ROMs) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2725023
VanirAOSP - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2494756
More coming soon!

You need to have kernel with kexec-hardboot patch only in your primary ROM!

Nicely ask your kernel developer to merge kexec-hardboot patch.

Changelog
Code:
MultiROM v28b
=====================
* Fixed loki_tool for VS980

MultiROM v28a
=====================
* Larger UI

MultiROM v28
=====================
* Initial version for G2
* Support for devices with locked bootloader, which need loki

Recoveries:
Code:
=====================
* Fixed loki_tool for VS980

=====================
* Fixed installing zips without changing updater-script

=====================
* TWRP 2.8.0

=====================
* Initial G2 release
* Used SlimKat kernel source

Last edited:

TheFerhatKing

Jul 22, 2012
Okay thanks, just tested it a bit and it looks nice but the MultiROM UI is very small is it normal?

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RenderBroken

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2013
/home/renderbroken/android
Looks fantastic! Thanks for your hard work. This will help out tremendously with this community Alot of us use our phones for work and play and cannot keep flashing back and forth. Now if we can get Ubuntu on here then we will really be cooking with fire. lol On my N72013 I had Ubuntu (Desktop) and my daily driver rom. I was able to do all sorts of high level IT work using Ubuntu then once I was don just change back over. This will open alot of doors for the G2. I am glad I got here when I did. AOSP really seems to be exploding contrary to CarbonRom dropping us. Though I understand why.

I am uploading new builds now that will support Multirom!

scogiam95

Nov 8, 2013
Messina
I love you XD multirom is the best tool for android! Which version of g2 is supported? d802?

EDIT: I've just that only version supported is d802!!!!

Good job guy!

Last edited:

arifqur

Nov 12, 2005
Great achievement guys, you have breathed new life into our aging G2.
Been using Multirom from Nexus 4 days. Last used it on my HTC One(M7).
The best utility to have for the Flash-a-Holics like me.
Hope to see it soon for the Sprint variant LS980

Reactions: NEO2598

t-shock

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
Thessaloniki
I just installed the multirom. It just ROCKS!!!!
I have installed pardus hd rom classic 7.7. Which rom can I use for second?
Is there any uninstaller available??

Last edited:

Ismail.A

Oct 24, 2013
I used it with my nexus 4 its excellent I was wondering can I boot with my otg stick a ROM cause I have the 16gb with 10gb avaible

patrik.KT

Aug 26, 2012
Kunova Teplica
I just installed the multirom. It just ROCKS!!!!
I have installed pardus hd rom classic 7.7. Which rom can I use for second?
Is there any uninstaller available??
If it's a stock based ROM, then you should install a stock based secondary ROM too. There are (sometimes) issues with booting stock-based and AOSP ROMs. The uninstaller is on the way. until then, you should be able to get rid of it by flashing the kernel you have and removing /data/media/0/multirom folder.

I used it with my nexus 4 its excellent I was wondering can I boot with my otg stick a ROM cause I have the 16gb with 10gb avaible
Yes, you can. But it will be a bit slower. Read the OP...

I'm building the recovery images for d800, d801, d803, ls980 and vs980. The rest (d805, d806 and f320*) will be supported later.

EDIT: D800/1/2/3 builds are up. LS/VS980 and F320* coming in a few minutes :)

Last edited:

t-shock

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
Thessaloniki
If it's a stock based ROM, then you should install a stock based secondary ROM too. There are (sometimes) issues with booting stock-based and AOSP ROMs. The uninstaller is on the way. until then, you should be able to get rid of it by flashing the kernel you have and removing /data/media/0/multirom folder.

Yes, you can. But it will be a bit slower. Read the OP...

I'm building the recovery images for d800, d801, d803, ls980 and vs980. The rest (d805, d806 and f320*) will be supported later.
Thanks but only stock based rom that I found is with aroma.
I tried to replace some lines that you suggest to the script but it won't install.
Any suggestion??

patrik.KT

Aug 26, 2012
Kunova Teplica
Thanks but only stock based rom that I found is with aroma.
I tried to replace some lines that you suggest to the script but it won't install.
Any suggestion??
Send me a link to the ROM's thread. I will check what line you should change :)

BTW as I said in the previous post, the d800/1/2/3 builds are up. Also the new twrp 2.8.0 is used from now.