• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Already unlocked bootloader on my pixel 4 XL

Search This thread

tumbleweed65

Apr 17, 2011
Rock Hill
What build are you on? I booted the phone,activated it, copied my data from old phone, and immediately activated developer options and unlock bootloader was available to turn on. I still have a system update pending and have rebooted my phone and it's still available to toggle. I'm on build
QD1A.190821.011

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

_litz

Oct 29, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
Well, my Pixel 4 experience has come to an end, at least for a while.
Google sent me a VZW branded phone. So now it's going back.

First 2 digits are 35. Google rep confirmed it is VZW locked.

Last edited:

FernBch

Sep 14, 2009
Alamogordo, NM
Thanks for the info, excellent news for Verizon subscribers with Pixel 4!

The Verizon version will be locked.

Most likely.

More than most likely. Verizon's policy is to sell bootloader locked devices. Don't bother calling them repeatedly to unlock it. They will not do it. Period.

And if you're hoping they'll unlock it when you pay it off don't hold your breath. They won't. It is not, never has been, and never will be their policy.....

Pixel 3 XL, Yep, Crashed It.....

..... Again.

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor

That's odd. I just checked mine bought directly from Google unlocked and the IMEI starts with 35xxx and it unlocked no problem. Screenshot_20191023-205456.jpgScreenshot_20191023-205149.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

wgrant

Sep 23, 2011
That's odd. I just checked mine bought directly from Google unlocked and the IMEI starts with 35xxx and it unlocked no problem.

I'm also unlocked and start with 35*******

I'm also unlocked, imei starts with 35 and I bought directly from Google. I did have trouble getting the OEM unlock toggle to go active. I had to factory reset and restart the phone a few times before I could use it.

eg1122

Oct 5, 2009
Roma, Tx
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Mine starts with 35. I turned on phone, skipped all the setup, and went directly to see if I could unlock it. It was greyed out. I then activated it in Google Fi and the option cleared up, I enabled it and unlocked bootloader via fastboot. Hope this helps some people out there.

_litz

Oct 29, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
I don't think "35" means it's Verizon ... I think it means it COULD be Verizon.

E.g., VZW IMEIs start with 35 ... but not all 35 IMEIs are VZW.

On mine, Google looked up the ID, and sure 'nuff, it was listed as a VZW locked device.

Obviously there are IDs starting with 35 that are not, as others here have been able to unlock.

FernBch

Sep 14, 2009
Alamogordo, NM

On mine, Google looked up the ID, and sure 'nuff, it was listed as a VZW locked device.

Obviously there are IDs starting with 35 that are not, as others here have been able to unlock.
I wonder if the same thing is going on that happened with the pixel 2 early on. Took a while to get the database synced. IMEI beginning with 35 identifies it as a Verizon branded device. in order for the bootloader unlocking to be enabled two conditions must be met. First is device manufacturer must allow it, and we know Google allows it. Second is the carrier must allow it, Verizon normally does not. if both of these conditions are not allowed then the bootloader unlocked toggle will be great out. There are a few of us on the Pixel 3 XL that have been looking into how to exploit this, and it's in the code. It's actually pretty deep in the code. there are checks that is made when the device boots and if everything is in place as it should be if the IMEI starts at 35 The bootloader cannot be unlocked.

take advantage of it while you can boys once they figure it out it'll be all over with.

Pixel 3 XL, Yep, Crashed It.....

..... Again.

obelisk79

May 18, 2008
I called T-Mobile after buying my phone in a store today and requested the ability to unlock. I was told I had to make 2 payments and they will grant me a 30 day temp unlock.

A little frustrating because I want to get magisk/youtube vanced installed. Easily my most used mod.

KillerBytes

Aug 11, 2013
Pittsburgh

I ordered mine through AT&T and it my IMEI starts with "35". What the hell?

ZeroKool76

Oct 21, 2014
Mine starts with 35 as well, but I had no issues unlocking it. Once I hooked up to wifi, the option lit right up and I was able to disable it. Whether it's actually a Verizon device or not, as long as it gets the job done. Unlocked and rooted, so I think we're good ??

Nwn_Abey

Jun 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I got my son's Pixel 4xl from Verizon with 2 year payments and he got it yesterday. And today he noticed OEM unlock is not grayed out. So he unlocked it right away using fastboot flashing unlock. And it worked the bootloader is unlocked. IMEI starts with 35. When I see him Saturday we're flashing Magisk!

Top Liked Posts