alternate home launcher(no root required)

Search This thread

jmr1948

Oct 9, 2015
I tried this approach on the new Kindle Fire 7" (50 bucks) and after a major hassle to find acceptable USB driver, was able to connect device to ADB. I then found that "block" command no longer exists. Replaced with "hide" command, result: "Package amazon.kindle.otter new hidden state: true"
However, had no apparent effect on ability to make Nova Launcher default. Also, if I issued unhide command, result was identical: "Package amazon.kindle.otter new hidden state: true" Finally, I noticed that when I listed packages, amazon.kindle.otter wasn't there. There are amazon.kindle.otter.settings and amazon.kindle.otter.oobe, but no amazon.kindle.otter.

Frustrating to get this far with no success. Any suggestions?

ScrapMaker

Jan 23, 2008
There is com.amazon.firelauncher, but it seems to cause the device to be unusable after hiding. Something has changed on the new Fire it seems.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
There is com.amazon.firelauncher, but it seems to cause the device to be unusable after hiding. Something has changed on the new Fire it seems.
Err, yeah. To date every Kindle generation is significantly different from the past. No reason to think the latest devices bear any resemblance to former generations other than in name and the ability to run some variation of FireOS.

An interesting test nonetheless.

jpwattam

Dec 22, 2015

When I do that on my new Fire 5th gen it has no effect at all. I've also tried pm disable on the package and the two kindle.otter packages but I get access denied. As they are system apps I would guess you need root to go any further on this. :(

I also noticed via the app manager on the device that none of the system packages can be disabled there either, so they've really tightened up on this new generation.

Yet the Google Play Store went on really easily - maybe putting up with the default launcher is a small price...

XxD34THxX

Nov 3, 2014
Any way to not use ADB for those whose computer's refuse to install ADB and make it usable...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Set as default launched by doing this:
    adb shell
    pm block com.amazon.kindle.otter

To return to the stock launcher, pm unblock com.amazon.kindle.otter then uninstall Aviate.
    Hate the kindle home screen? Me too. I tried side loading Vire. Nothing fantastic, but it has a few applets (widgets),multiple screens, vote wallpapers and some cool transitions.see attached images. Did not get one of app drawer, it is nothing special.
    Looking good. I have next launcher working and yandex shell . Yandex has it's own panels and it's working flawlessly. Wallpapers do not work though

Sent from beneath my invisibility cloak
    aviate home screen

Aviate has a very clean home screen replacement somewhat like Goggle Now, the home screen slides left, right, and down to reveal other panels. For a non rooted replacement it's very cool. i have the dark theme with a photo for the background. It took a week or so to get a activation code from aviate. For something that is ment only for phones, it's not bad. getaviate.com
    To use Aviate, use the code "MUSIC" in all caps.