[ALTERNATIVE] Root Mi A1 with TWRP Without disabling Ota

Search This thread

audinisio

Jul 26, 2011
Fortaleza
My device was already with root and bootloader, so what I did was to flash Magisk Uninstall via TWRP and I upgraded my device to 8.1. When restarting, I already installed Magisk via TWRP and restarted again. Now I have my device locked in "Androidone". I do not know how to proceed and I ask for help. Thank you!

audinisio

Jul 26, 2011
Fortaleza
If i want to update...can i just uninstall magisk using restore images option then install ota?

I also thought that this could be done, but it did not work. Does not install the update. This tutorial is confusing. It says "NOTE: do not install or flash twrp into your device or you will not be able to update through ota." and later it says: "flash magisk unistaller from recovery". I do not know how to proceed. I understood I need to uninstall TWRP. It is? How do I do this without losing data now.

Bennybtc

Dec 1, 2013
I also thought that this could be done, but it did not work. Does not install the update. This tutorial is confusing. It says "NOTE: do not install or flash twrp into your device or you will not be able to update through ota." and later it says: "flash magisk unistaller from recovery". I do not know how to proceed. I understood I need to uninstall TWRP. It is? How do I do this without losing data now.
Uninstall magisk via bootable trwp
Go to fastboot, update via dirty flash (flash_all_except_storage), but edit the bat before flashing(delete line "1fastboot oem lock")
Boot into system
Then you can root it again via twrp

audinisio

Jul 26, 2011
Fortaleza
Go to fastboot, update via dirty flash (flash_all_except_storage), but edit the bat before flashing(delete line "1fastboot oem lock")
Boot into system

- I need uninstall TWRP already installed?
- Dirty flash is MiFlashTool?
- What OTA update to use and where find? (My Mi A1 is Oreo 8.0)

Help me plz.

Roadwuzel

Jul 21, 2018
This guide is _without_ installing twrp ;)

- You must fastboot, then boot into twrp - as described.
- Install in twrp the lastest Magisk uninstaller from the link
- fastboot again
- download the fastboot image - u find the images in a thread here -> https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a1/how-to/ota-xiaomi-mi-a1-ota-links-t3718542 (tough u need the 8.1.0 image... )
- extract the image
- in the extracted image, there some scripts in the root folder.
- edit the 'flash_all_except_storage' script as described.
- execute the script
- at the end, phone boot regular.
- when all is fine, fastboot again
- boot into twrp
- install Magisk installer
- boot into system and install u Magisk Module etc. in the Magisk Manager

But beware - i my opiniion, the 8.1 Update ist not rly rock solid. Some times the phone hangs in boot or some Magisk Module dosn't work correct.

manpildo

Dec 21, 2011
installation problem during downloading update, any help?

I also couldn't update through a normal OTA, kept giving "installation failed" error despite having uninstalled Magisk. Use the below instructions to flash the official ROM from MIUI website. However I used Mi Flash Tool to do that, because clicking the .bat file didn't do anything for me. Edit the .bat file like described below and choose "Save user data" in Mi Flash before flashing. Worked flawlessly for me. Hopefully future OTAs will update without problems.

Boot into system

This guide is _without_ installing twrp ;)

- You must fastboot, then boot into twrp - as described.
- Install in twrp the lastest Magisk uninstaller from the link
- fastboot again
- download the fastboot image - u find the images in a thread here -> https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a1/how-to/ota-xiaomi-mi-a1-ota-links-t3718542 (tough u need the 8.1.0 image... )
- extract the image
- in the extracted image, there some scripts in the root folder.
- edit the 'flash_all_except_storage' script as described.
- execute the script
- at the end, phone boot regular.
- when all is fine, fastboot again
- boot into twrp
- install Magisk installer
- boot into system and install u Magisk Module etc. in the Magisk Manager

But beware - i my opiniion, the 8.1 Update ist not rly rock solid. Some times the phone hangs in boot or some Magisk Module dosn't work correct.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may imagine this simple guide will show you how to root your device with magisk from twrp recovery.
    I know, there is already a guide by jashancheema that shows how to root this device, however it's difficult to update the system once you are rooted. In my opinion the way i'm about to show you is faster and easier.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for ANY damage done to your phone, act at your own risk.

That's how you can root your phone with magisk and recovery without disabling ota.

1. First download magisk manager and magisk flashable zip from here (official thread)
    Install magisk manager and copy the magisk flashable zip somewhere in your device or sd.

2. Download mohancm twrp recovery (recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo) from here (official thread)
    NOTE: do not download the installer, you need the .img file bootable from fastboot (recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img)

3. Copy recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img into the fastboot folder.

4. Enable developer option from in the device, enable OEM unlocking.

5. turn off your device and enter into fastboot mode by holding voume down + power button, then connect your device to the pc.

6. now open fastboot and type this to check the connection, if the terminal return an andress your phone is correctly configured.
    Code:
    fastboot devices

7. type this from fastboot to unlock your bootloader.
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

8. now type this to boot your recovery (REMEMBER TO COPY THE RECOVERY IMG INTO THE FASTBOOT FOLDER)
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img

9. once your recovey boot flash the magisk zip and reboot.
    NOTE: do not install or flash twrp into your device or you won't be able to update through ota.

---------------------HOW TO UPDATE-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you will receive the update the only thing you need to do is boot twrp, flash magisk unistaller (that you can find here ) and update.

1. type this to boot your recovery (REMEMBER TO COPY THE RECOVERY IMG INTO THE FASTBOOT FOLDER)
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery-3.2.1-2-oreo.img

2. flash magisk unistaller from recovey

3. Update your system

4. Repeat the same procedure to root again your device.

If you are italian and you need any help you can find it here, the serious telegram community.
    https://t.me/XiaomiMiA1Italia
    Special thanks to @samuele94 and @TheRealajeje from the telegram group.
    All works!!! :good::good::good::good::good:
    Are you sure it will not wipe data on unlocking the bootlaoder ... On July 1 2018 security patch ??

Anyone please cnfrm this ??

Yes, will wipe all data, you need backup
    How did you get the ota then? Im still stuck in july ota [emoji26][emoji26] don't want to flash from scratch
    I dirty flash full stock roms in twrp.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    Question: the original method implies the boot of a "patched boot image". Why your alternative method skips this step?
    Because the bootloader is patched by the Magisk Installer when you run it via TWRP; the "original" method just starts the phone from a bootloader patched by someone else (probably with this method), which seems a bit pointless to me since anyway you need to patch it yourself when you install Magisk.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone